Lead-up to the Diamond Wedding Aniversary: November 20, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the "recreation" is very cool. I wonder who took the two pictures, though. Maybe Beaton took the 1947, and Snowdon took the 2007? It's a clever "recreation" and if accidental, as BP claims, it's funny that Prince Philip is wearing almost exactly the same kind of tie, and The Queen's outfits aren't the same but very similar.

Their body language in the pictures are so fascinating too, different in each and yet the same. Love it. You can see how their relationship has grown..... while certainly in love in 1947, look at how relaxed and contented in their lives they seem now in 2007.... no longer carrying that youthful restlessness. :)

:wub:

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I see what you mean. The "real" one looks so much better for some reason I can't put into words. I like the angle on Prince Philip better in the "real" one. His happiness is more apparent, though I can't figure out why.... but it just looks nicer.

We get used to how people look, with the right and left sides in the correct place. It's jarring when photos get reversed. Medals, brooches, and engagement rings on the wrong side are the usual give-aways.

Yeah, the "recreation" is very cool. I wonder who took the two pictures, though. Maybe Beaton took the 1947, and Snowdon took the 2007? It's a clever "recreation" and if accidental, as BP claims, it's funny that Prince Philip is wearing almost exactly the same kind of tie, and The Queen's outfits aren't the same but very similar.

Their body language in the pictures are so fascinating too, different in each and yet the same. Love it. You can see how their relationship has grown..... while certainly in love in 1947, look at how relaxed and contented in their lives they seem now in 2007.... no longer carrying that youthful restlessness. :)

:wub:

It appears Tim Graham/Fiona Hanson are credited with the new photos, but I can't find a photographer for the original one.
Since my original message, I now see that Anwar Hussein is also credited. It may be a group of press then OR a representative from the "pool" and all rights are shared - we may never know who actually clicked the shutter!

Last edited:
It appears Tim Graham/Fiona Hanson are credited with the new photos, but I can't find a photographer for the original one.

Ok.... thanks for the answer. According to here the 1947 photo belongs to the Royal Collection and Tim Graham Photo Library bought rights to it. At the same link there is another photo from the 1947 honeymoon walk, which is even more sweet for its candidness. :angel:

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=77916528

What a couple 60 Years and going strong and as far Far as there role of Monarch and Consort Wonderful

i am impressed with the wedding anniversary! i watched some parts of the ceremony on our national news and all i could say was that queen elizabeth should be the queen of europe :lol: not only Britain. She is amazing.

Since my original message, I now see that Anwar Hussein is also credited. It may be a group of press then OR a representative from the "pool" and all rights are shared - we may never know who actually clicked the shutter!

I went to Windsor Castle a few days ago & they have a large print of the new photo on display. It is clearly labeled as Copyright Tim Graham.

Queen cancels her Ritz Diamond Wedding Anniversary Party

According to the Daily Mail and otehr sources (below) the Queen has cancelleld a planned Diamond Wedding Anniversary for her and the Duke of Edinburgh at the Ritz Hotel. Apparently Her majesty feels it would be "inappropriate" to hold such an event at a time of ecomonic reccession in the UK.

Queen cancels diamond wedding party in wake of economic gloom| News | This is London

Queen cancels diamond wedding party in wake of economic gloom | the Daily Mail

Royal Anecdotes » The Queen cancels Ritz party

Thats very admirable of her. I hope they still have a more low key party with their family and friends. They deserve it; 60 years is a long time!

Well, I am disappointed because I think that all wedding anniversaries should be celebrated--especially something as monumental as this one. However, I applaud Her Majesty for thinking of the econonmy in Britian and how it affects everyone. She is a fair and honest lady.

The anniversary isn't till November and she's cancelling in March? Sounds as though she thinks the country is in for a long downturn.

The anniversary was last November. The party had to be delayed due to the trip to CHOGM in Uganda.

Well, I am disappointed because I think that all wedding anniversaries should be celebrated--especially something as monumental as this one. However, I applaud Her Majesty for thinking of the econonmy in Britian and how it affects everyone. She is a fair and honest lady.

I believe she'll have the same guests over to BP - after all they all have made time for her on this occasion and probably nothing better to do. :D

I have mixed feeling about queen's decision. I am sorry for friends who organized a wonderful party for her and Phillip. On the other hand, I admire her fairness and trying to be so supportive to her citizens. Overall I think it was good decision because it seemed very honest from queen side.

I have mixed feeling about queen's decision. I am sorry for friends who organized a wonderful party for her and Phillip. On the other hand, I admire her fairness and trying to be so supportive to her citizens. Overall I think it was good decision because it seemed very honest from queen side.

Yes, but one reason why the people adore their RF is that they have a "Royal lifestyle" and if people want to throw a bash for her wedding anniversary then I think she could have gone for it. I wouldn't have minded at all!:flowers:

But maybe it was a soft rebuke for the government (if it's true what one article said that the queen has at the moment a bit of a frosty relationship) to consider people's situation a bit more and save a bit more on government expenses.

Yes, but one reason why the people adore their RF is that they have a "Royal lifestyle" and if people want to throw a bash for her wedding anniversary then I think she could have gone for it. I wouldn't have minded at all!:flowers:

But maybe it was a soft rebuke for the government (if it's true what one article said that the queen has at the moment a bit of a frosty relationship) to consider people's situation a bit more and save a bit more on government expenses.
While I don't know if or why the relationship is frosty, I can commend her intent, however the Royal Family are the foundation that holds the country together in times of Depression, yes depression, not recession (that wimpishly insipid word that most governments prefer!)

It's a little like the Queen Mother being glad that BP was bombed during the war, as it made her feel a little less privileged and a lot more like those living near the docks.

By the same token, when she and the King toured the bombed parts of London with the King, his subjects adored them both. He was in uniform and she in her best dress (and hat!), and the people loved them for coming but also loved that some things are built on rock and for them the RF personified that rock. If Hitler had ever rolled up the Mall, I think we can guess the reception they would have gotten from the King & Queen.

It's a difficult line to draw and there will always be detractors of the RF, but the Queen being driven in a Hybrid car, OK scratch that , horses and carriages leave little, if any, carbon footprints, but when times are tough and we are all depressed by the recession, we want to look to the the Royals for hope.

An anniversary bash, paid for not by the government or the RF, but friends of the couple . . . well, I think she may have given away a really great feelgood occassion for them and, vicariously, us.

ecomonic reccession

Pass one our way :ausflag:

As for the Queen's decision to cancel the Ritz. Well, if I had Windsor or Buckingham Palace at my disposal I'd certainly not be looking anywhere in the frst place.

Last edited:
Good for her. It's an incredibly political thing to say (for her, anyway), and an excellent way for her to rebuke the government as said above.

Pass one our way :ausflag:

As for the Queen's decision to cancel the Ritz. Well, if I had Windsor or Buckingham Palace at my disposal I'd certainly not be looking anywhere in the frst place.

I think this Ritz party thing was/is a hoax by the media.Nothing else.
Nothing was planned there.
Economic recession?Across the pond,yes,here no,at least not yet,so another lame reason in a lame story down the drain.

There surely will be a party or two in november,maybe three even,lavish I hope.:)

I think it is strange that she planned something at the Ritz. I agree with Madame Royale when she said that she wouldn't use any other venue with the two palaces at her disposal. It will be interesting to see what the Queen does in regards to the celebration.

I think it is strange that she planned something at the Ritz. I agree with Madame Royale when she said that she wouldn't use any other venue with the two palaces at her disposal. It will be interesting to see what the Queen does in regards to the celebration.

HM has had parties at the Ritz before. The party was being organised on her and Prince Philip's behalf by others, so they probs thought it would be nice not to have it "at home" lol. It just happpens home is two massive buildings with fab state rooms that could be used.

However, I applaud Her Majesty for thinking of the econonmy in Britian and how it affects everyone. She is a fair and honest lady.
It won't make any difference to the man/woman on the street whether HM has a party to celebrate her anniversary or not. While some may have over extended themselves, others will not notice a minor glitch in the economy. By cancelling any party, if indeed she has, (which considering the source, I doubt), she will have added to the downswing.:whistling:

It is a shame really that she cannot accept this gift from her friends.
She has always been careful to do the right thing.
You just feel that it would have been nice for her to be able to go out and have a splashy time for once. The other members, especially the younger ones sure do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom