The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Well put. I do not think that Philip will have any issues bowing to Charles.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

If there are only four burial spaces left, perhaps that is why Princess Margaret was cremated. That way she could rest in the chapel with her relatives, otherwise, she could not.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Or perhaps it was just because Margaret herself wanted to be cremated, rather than something to do with "space".
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Well put. I do not think that Philip will have any issues curtseying to Charles.

He might 'curtsey' in Scotland when wearing a kilt (as he allegedly did to George VI) but I would suspect that he would settle for the simply head bow - done by the men rather than the curtsey done by the women.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Or perhaps it was just because Margaret herself wanted to be cremated, rather than something to do with "space".

I do remember reading at the time that she wanted to be buried with her parents and cremation was the only way that was possible. She wasn't married so didn't have a husband to be buried beside and both her kids were married so expected them to be buried with their spouses.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do remember reading at the time that she wanted to be buried with her parents and cremation was the only way that was possible. She wasn't married so didn't have a husband to be buried beside and both her kids were married so expected them to be buried with their spouses.
Thats right, I do remember reading that as well at the time of Margaret's death in 2002.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Nobility

As for the issue of Prince William inheriting his father's titles when Charles becomes King: as I understand it, the heir apparent to the throne is automatically Duke of Cornwall but he has to be created Prince of Wales, along with the other titles.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
When Charles becomes King, William automatically become Duke of Cornwall so no, he doesn't have to get married to get that title.

But if he is to get a dukedom before that happens, the general practice has been to grant a dukedom when a royal prince gets married.

Although it has been tradition to grant dukedoms to the younger sons of the monarch, somehow I don't think Harry will get a dukedom. Edward assumed the title of Earl of Wessex rather than a royal dukedom so I think the BRF is trying to scale themselves down.
I think you will find that Prince Edward was given the title of Earl of Wessex in the expectation that when the Duke of Edinburgh dies he will inherit that title.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Mitchell View Post
I think you will find that Prince Edward was given the title of Earl of Wessex in the expectation that when the Duke of Edinburgh dies he will inherit that title.
He won't inherit the title, it'll be regranted.
See Iluvberties excellent posts.
The future of the Duke of Edinburgh title
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
As for the issue of Prince William inheriting his father's titles when Charles becomes King: as I understand it, the heir apparent to the throne is automatically Duke of Cornwall but he has to be created Prince of Wales, along with the other titles.
Technically he doesn't 'inherit' Charles titles - there are no remainders to the Duke of Cornwall titles etc that allow for inheritance.

They are automatically held by the person meeting the criteria of those titles - and William will, on his grandmother's death, meet those criteria.

However, if Charles died before the Queen, William couldn't hold them as he wouldn't meet the criteria in the LPs and thus won't 'inherit' those titles.

Technical difference I know.

The Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester titles are recreated each time.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

This thread has been so informative (about to go off to Iluvbertie's thread). I am finally starting to understand a bit.

And, I've grown to love Bertie, too. What a difference all this intricate knowledge makes in understanding the Royal Family and their world. Thank you all so much.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, earl of wessex, elizabeth ii, order of precedence, prince charles, prince of wales, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, styles and titles