The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACO

Heir Apparent
City
New York
Country
United States
The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a road traffic accident with another vehicle this afternoon near the Sandringham Estate, Buckingham Palace has announced. Prince Philip was not injured but local police attended the scene.

Glad he is okay. Scary news.

Video of the Range Rover being taken away.

HRH's Range Rover overturned.

This is a link to a tweet which has a daytime picture of the two cars involved. It *looks* like perhaps somebody pulled out on the other driver:
The accident was reported on a local news website: https://www.klfm967.co.uk/news/klfm-news/2784798/two-car-crash-on-a149-sandringham/

Confirmed that HRH was driving the Range Rover, a doctor saw him at Sandringham after the accident and cleared him as okay. HM The Queen is with him.

Last edited:
Nearly crashed my car when the bbc radio 1 announced “and before we leave breaking news coming from Buckingham Palace, Prince Philip...”
Glad he is uninjured and hope everyone is safe

Glad he is okay but how scary.

The duke was driving a Range Rover and was pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 when the accident happened.

According to eyewitnesses, the car that the duke was driving overturned.

The eyewitnesses said they helped the duke out of the vehicle. He was conscious but very shocked and shaken, royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46912691

Thankfully, it appears that the safety restraint systems (seat belts and side curtain airbags, which can be seen in the pictures) kept Prince Philip from suffering severe injuries.

Wow, those pictures are rather shocking. Glad the other drivers and Prince Philip are ok...

A 97 year old man going through this kind of accident and coming out of it physically unscathed, to me, is a miracle. I can imagine just how shaken up he must be from that experience having gone through something similar myself.

Will this slow the man down? I don't think so. Not one bit.

Thank god he’s okay. I hope he receives a head to toe X-ray.

Oh lord have mercy! I almost had a heart attack when I saw this thread! So glad that he's okay. I am not ready for Prince Philip to go to the great beyond as yet!

Last edited:
I doubt very much that Prince Philip came out of that accident physically unscathed. It sounds as though he avoided any significant injury, thank goodness, but any time airbags and other passive restraint systems deploy, there are physical effects on the driver and passengers. At a minimum, he is going to be sore/stiff for several days, and if he is less lucky, there may be other effects that show up over time.

I'm very glad that he and anyone else in the car survived, but much as I hate to say it, it might be time to reconsider if at his age driving on public roads is a good idea. No matter how alert he is, the reaction times cannot possibly be as good as they were 20-30 years ago.

At this age unfortunately there must have been minor injuries and some only appear hours later. I think at the age he already has he should not drive.

Was shocked as everyone else when I saw the news and am glad nobody was (heavily) injured.
But I kept and keep saying that a person at the age of 97 should NOT drive anymore. Neither on private nor on nonprivate roads. Thats my opinion. He wears glasses, he has had hip replacement and hearing aids - altogether several reasons for not driving anymore.
And cars of that type don't easily bend over.

Oh I have just heard this on the news. What a scarry accident. I am glad that everyone seemed to have walked away without serious injuries, but I highly doubt the Duke is uninjured. Having been in a similar accident before, while the safety measures keep larger injuries at bay, they do a horrible number on your body - especially on a near 100 year old man. I hope he is closely monitered the following days - he might feel fine now due to shock, but the crash will come sooner than later.

Praying for a speady and full recovery.

I doubt very much that Prince Philip came out of that accident physically unscathed. It sounds as though he avoided any significant injury, thank goodness, but any time airbags and other passive restraint systems deploy, there are physical effects on the driver and passengers. At a minimum, he is going to be sore/stiff for several days, and if he is less lucky, there may be other effects that show up over time.

I'm very glad that he and anyone else in the car survived, but much as I hate to say it, it might be time to reconsider if at his age driving on public roads is a good idea. No matter how alert he is, the reaction times cannot possibly be as good as they were 20-30 years ago.

That’s what I hear about what happens after an accident. In some cases, the effects of a crash don’t show up until later. I’m sure he’ll be monitored.

What about the drive if the other car?
It is unacceptable to drive at this age. Public danger! He should give the example.
Was he alone?

It is unacceptable to drive at this age. Public danger! He should give the example.
Was he alone?

Im sure he had his policeman with him...………..

Yes, I'm curious about the driver of the other car, too, as well as any passengers in either car. That there were no fatalities is wonderful, but it could so easily have gone the other way. Do we know who was at fault?

Well its legal to drive at his age so hardly "unacceptable", avoidable for someone in his position - yes, unadvisable - maybe. I suspect that Philip had curtailed most of his driving on public roads but some of the private roads around Sandringham lead to public roads so even "driving around the Estate" means crossing public roads sometimes.

I agree. I am sure he will be feeling things tomorrow once that adrenaline wears off and the soreness truly takes over. They are all very lucky. And I also agree that maybe it is time to take away the keys. I know it is a touchy subject and DoE is a very proud man but that is a conversation that likely needs to be had.

So it *looks* like The Duke was at fault. It appears he pulled out into oncoming traffic. I have google mapped, and think I have found the road in question and it does look pretty dicey.

A colleague with good knowledge of Sandringham tells me the accident spot is at a junction where the track from Wood Farm (where the Duke has spent a lot of time) to the main Sandringham House crosses the main A149 road. A scene of many accidents he says, with lots of blind spots

Last edited:
Was he alone?

I don’t know. Sometimes we see, Prince Philip, driving alone on the royal estates.

Yes, I'm curious about the driver of the other car, too, as well as any passengers in either car. That there were no fatalities is wonderful, but it could so easily have gone the other way. Do we know who was at fault?

I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom