General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are everyone talking about the Queen passing? Really unerving

Well, she is now in her nineties, and nobody is immortal!
It's going to happen, probably sooner than later, so naturally plans are being made.

There's no point in pretending this is not inevitable.

Queen Elizabeth's wedding cake up for auction

A piece of wedding cake from the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding is going up for auction at the end of the month in South Derbyshire. The auctioneer quoted in the article was full of puns:

"As soon as I saw it I thought 'crumbs, what a piece of history!' I expect it to make a tasty price at auction."

Perhaps the dear old man was giving away his secret to a happy, long life. Just allow those things into your life that make you smile. ;)

The Queen's message to The President of Colombia, following the flooding and landslides in Mocoahttps: https://t.co/Fbgj4YbCBB
Prince Philip and I were deeply saddened to learn of the devastating flooding and landslides in Mocoa this weekend.

I send my sincere condolences to the families who have lost loved ones in this terrible event. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured and the many people whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed.

ELIZABETH R.

I think perhaps when things like this happen and the Queen writes a condolence note, it usually is stated in generic and non personal terms mostly because HM is writing to all the people affected by the disaster which she has no personal connections to. What wouldn't surprise me though is that privately, as she often has done, she has contributed out of her private purse to help recovery efforts.

When 9/11 happened, the message was much more personal as so many Brits were affected by this act of terrorism. Her worlds "Grief is the price we pay for love" stick in my mind.

I think the message mostly depends on the level of how close it hits to home and her people. It was big news 15 years after 9/11 when HM broke protocol and had the US national anthem played during the changing of the guard.

:previous: From this article:
Reportedly it was estimated to sell for between £50,00 and £80,000. However, the piece sold for three times that, fetching an eye-watering £187,500.

The Telegraph apparently feel the need to tell us why HM has two birthdays again.

Read more: When is the Queen's birthday and why does she celebrate twice?
Queen Elizabeth II's 90th birthday celebrations were one of the highlights of 2016, but this year will be a much quieter affair as she prepares to turn 91. Here's everything you need to know about the Queen's birthday.

So the Queen has two birthdays?

Yes. The Queen celebrates her birthday twice each year - once on the anniversary of the day she was born, April 21, and on an "official" birthday in June.

Why?

It is a tradition that was started by George II in 1748 and is owes its origins to the ageless problem of the British weather.

Why is her official birthday on a Saturday?

During the early part of her reign the Queen's official birthday was on a Thursday, but it later changed to a Saturday in June so that more members of the public could enjoy it.

I just love this picture: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/video_previews/z/x/zxzzrvmje6uz4ckio-r-bpwbtri1ycox-large.jpg

I do believe too that when the occasion does occur, the entire would will be at a standstill as most likely the majority of the world's general population says goodbye to perhaps the only Queen that they've really know.

She's been, throughout her long life, a prominent figurehead on the world stage, an iconic representation of what a Queen embodies and a beloved mother and grandmother figure to a lot of us.

When she is no longer with us, a light will have definitely been dimmed in this world. Her smile alone lights up wherever she is.

https://www.royal.uk/queen-easter

"Where does The Queen spend Easter?
The Royal Family usually celebrate Easter at Windsor Castle.
Along with other members of her family, The Queen attends a church service on Easter Sunday at St George's Chapel, a 14th century building located in the Lower Ward of the castle. Crowds often gather here to welcome them before the service begins and afterwards The Queen receives a bouquet of flowers from local children who also attended the service."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/792235/meeting-the-queen-elizabeth-ii-royal-family-encounter

"FOR nearly 64 years she has been our head of state – and in that time has attended more unveilings, official visits, garden parties, performances, sporting events and meet-and-greets than even she can remember.

But for people who have been lucky enough to meet the Queen – some famous in their own right, some ordinary members of the public – those few moments with her will have been an experience they would never forget.

Author Chilli Brener has spent the past five years researching and interviewing dozens of people who have not only met the Queen, but exchanged words with her – and in a new book reveals exactly what the monarch said to them.

The result is by turns funny, heartwarming and illuminating – and reveals a very human side to Her Majesty. Here we retell five of their stories"

"The Queen's own recipe for homemade drop scones and other royal treats feature in a new cookbook by the chefs at Buckingham Palace."

Queen cookbook: Does one fancy a royal afternoon tea? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

The Queen's favourite pastry recipes to be revealed | Daily Mail Online

Happy 91st Birthday to Queen Elizabeth!!!!

91 of the Queen's most majestic looks as she celebrates her 91stt Birthday

91 of The Queen's most majestic looks as she celebrates her 91st birthday - Fashion

The Queen's life on camera

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/archive-the-queens-life-on-camera---in-90-seconds/

Beaming Queen watches as her horse wins at Newbury races | Daily Mail Online

"Queen Elizabeth II was photographed celebrating after her horse 'Call to Mind' won at the races - the day after her 91st birthday."

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: No, I know that! But then I hope to sleep.

Last edited:
Her Majesty the Queen, (or as many ekxperts have said: Elizabeth the Great) is now the oldest constitutional monarch in Europe since Gustaf V of Sweden, who died in 1950 at the age of 92.

Last edited:
https://www.royal.uk/21st-birthday-speech-21-april-1947

"On her twenty-first birthday, 21 April 1947, Princess Elizabeth was with her parents and younger sister on a tour of South Africa. In a speech broadcast on the radio from Cape Town, the Princess dedicated her life to the service of the Commonwealth."

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

And that she is doing all these years!!
Back 70 years on the Queen Birthday!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4430960/What-today-s-touchy-feely-young-royals-learn.html

Buckingham Palace shares Queen Elizabeth's christening photo in honor of her 91st Birthday

http://time.com/4750087/queen-elizabeth-91-birthday-photo-christening/

Quiz:How much do you know about Queen? I have 8 to 10!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/much-do-know-queen/

Last edited:
Our amazing Queen at 91:

Queen Elizabeth Ii Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Queen celebrates her 91st birthday at Newbury Racecourse | Daily Mail Online

Read more: Queen's favourite birthday gifts revealed as she turns 91 - ITV News
The Queen turns 91 today - her "real" birthday, as the monarch traditionally has two.

The royal is thought to be at Windsor Castle, where she traditionally spends a month-long residence, known as Easter Court.

Her "official" birthday - marked by the Trooping the Colour ceremony - takes place in the summer.

Read more: The Queen's birthday: A life in numbers - ITV News
The Queen, who turns 91 today, is Britain's longest-reigning monarch, as well as the longest serving living monarch in the world today.

The first child of the then Duke and Duchess of York, Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 2.40am on 21 April 1926 at 17 Bruton Street, the Mayfair home of her mother's parents, the Earl and Countess of Strathmore.

She acceded to the throne in 1952 and over the course of an impressive 65 year reign has seen a number of significant milestones.

Here is a look at Queen Elizabeth II in numbers:

Read more: Queen turns 91: Monarch spends birthday at Newbury Racecourse - BBC News
The Queen has celebrated her 91st birthday by taking part in one of her favourite activities - watching the races at Newbury Racecourse.

It was a more modest affair than the national festivities for her 90th birthday last year.

But military salutes were held across the UK to mark the occasion - including a 21-gun salute of tiny cannons fired by children at Windsor Castle.

Birthday wishes for the Queen have come from around the world.

Read more: Queen's 91st birthday: Queen Elizabeth's life in pictures | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Queen Elizabeth will celebrate her 91st birthday today privately with her family, with none of the public celebrations that marked her 90th last year.

The Queen has lived through huge social change and technological advances during her time as a young princess and Britain's queen.

To honour her latest milestone, here are twelve pictures to illustrate important stages in the life of our beloved monarch.

Read more: Queen’s 91st birthday: You’ll never guess what Elizabeth II was like as a girl | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
MANY Britons find it strange to think of the Queen as a little girl because she has lived and ruled for so long. Here is a look back at Elizabeth II's childhood as she celebrates her 91st birthday

Queen Elizabeth turns 91 today, and will celebrate the milestone privately with her family.

There will be none of the pomp and circumstance that took place on her 90th birthday last year, though artillery gun salutes in London’s Hyde Park and the Tower of London will mark the occasion.

The future Queen was born at 2.40am on Wednesday April 21 1926 as a crowd stood waiting outside 17 Bruton Street in Mayfair, oblivious to spring showers.

The Morning Post described the street scene saying: “Presently a neat, efficient nurse came and looked down into the street.

“The upturned faces must have all asked a question, for it was with a nod and the most reassuring smile that the owner of the uniform withdrew.”

Read more: Queen celebrates her birthday at Newbury Racecourse with Princess Anne | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
THE Queen spent her 91st birthday indulging her lifelong sporting passion at the races today.

Accompanied by Princess Anne, the monarch headed to Newbury Racecourse where she enjoyed lunch in the Royal Box and an afternoon of flat racing featuring one of her own horses.

Sadly Maths Prize, her promising three-year-old bay gelding, faded badly and finished fifth out of six.

But that hardly spoilt her enjoyment of the day among a 4,500 crowd.

Last edited:
:previous: I don't think people on this forum understand how amazing this actually is. And it is allowed to comment on it.

Yes, It's the DF, but nice pictures:
Newbury Racecourse guest's selfie photobombed by the Queen | Daily Mail Online
A racegoer was stunned to find his selfie being photobombed by the beaming Queen.

Allan Banford, 32, said he was shocked to discover the grinning monarch lurking in the background of picture he snapped at Newbury Racecourse.

The artist was enjoying an afternoon at the Spring Trials fixture when Queen Elizabeth II, who turned 91 last week, wandered into the paddock.

He said he was too polite to take a picture of her and was attempting to photograph the horses when Her Majesty popped up behind him.

The Queen pictured with AA ROAD MAP tucked into the door | Daily Mail Online

""Wich way to Windsor Ma'am?" The Queen is pictured with an AA ROAD MAP tucked into the door of her custom Bentley as she and Prince Philip are chauffeured from a royal occasion"

"A little girl got a big surprise when she sent a letter to the Queen asking about the Crown Jewels – and she replied.
Curious Briony Tinker-Ives, eight, wanted to know if her Majesty had the biggest diamond in the world in her crown."

Curious eight-year-old girl asked the Queen about the Crown Jewels - and got a reply! - Huddersfield Examiner

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute! But she didn't get the reply on the diamond?;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom