The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

I'm checking Twitter, which is a bad idea. Most reports are saying Prince Philip has passed away, others saying "Buckingham Palace says there's nothing to worry about." Is it confirmed that there will be a big announcement at 8 am? I suppose either way we will have to wait until then to see.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

It would not be announced if there is anything until 8am UK time. Add London to your world clock on the phone to compare with your time zone.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Is it confirmed that there will be a big announcement at 8 am?
I don't think so. I it's that if there was to be an announcement regarding something that happened overnight, it would be made at 8:00.
Serene Highness

Well, maybe I can go to bed after all: Prince Philip not dead, says Buckingham Palace - World - NZ Herald News

Who really knows what's going on?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Well, maybe I can go to bed after all: Prince Philip not dead, says Buckingham Palace - World - NZ Herald News

Who really knows what's going on?
n Australia Media Outlet (Verified Account) did tweet that they were told by The Palace that all was well but even if things weren't I expect the same response anyway! It the rule that no news until 8am and they are not gonna break the news to an Australia News Outlet. It may be nothing but we will know in a few more hours but Qa Channel ten reporter did say the royal fMaily be called to the Palace
Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
BBC news isn't saying anything. It's 6 p.m. Wed here. Anything else that anyone is hearing?

It's 2.10pm in the afternoon here in Sydney LadyGabrielle, and one of the national TV channels has just flashed up a "Breaking News" about the meeting being called at Buckingham Palace, saying there will be details in tonight's 6.00pm news broadcast.

This is definitely mainstream news now.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

This isn't a standard meeting. I know the lord chamberlain calls them, but are we seriously to believe he calls them in the middle of the night it might not be a death, but certainly something.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 AM
Royal Highness

Highly speculative and possibly off-topic, but would a meeting like this be called if something had happened to one of the children or grandchildren? Or is that unlikely?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
This isn't a standard meeting. I know the lord chamberlain calls them, but are we seriously to believe he calls them in the middle of the night it might not be a death, but certainly something.
Has it been definitely reported that he called in the middle of the night, or was the meeting called at some earlier time, with word of it only reaching the press in the middle of the night?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Both the BBC website and radio have stated nothing as well as CNN International and Reuters. Apparently French news sources have persisted with rumors of the DOE's passing. We'll know soon enough I guess. Speculating doesn't help.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Nobility

Victoria Arbiter is also weighing in on the "sound and fury signifying nothing" side. https://twitter.com/victoriaarbiter/...85492418449409

So I'm going to go to bed, because sleeping or not sleeping won't change it and tomorrow will be unbearable without sleep, irrespective of what this is all about.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Serene Highness

Australian TV is reporting media is assembling outside Buckingham Palace.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus

All of the information about media assembling outside the Palace seems to spring from one single tweet of a VERY low-resolution photograph.

Likewise, the "French media" reports seem to be a snake eating itself. Everyone is reporting reports but nobody is actually saying who reported it, let alone providing evidence of it.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

The DM has had news of this meeting on its sight for over three hours - based on the oldest comment on there - so it seems it was called in the 'middle of the night' - or at least the reports were 'in the middle of the night'.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Nobility

It wouldn't be the first time Twitter has "accidentally" declared someone dead when they're still alive and kicking.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
It wouldn't be the first time Twitter has "accidentally" declared someone dead when they're still alive and kicking.

No it wouldn't and it's entirely possible everything is fine. I hope that's the case.

The reports of the meeting mean I still want to wait up to find out though.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 AM
Aristocracy

I hope this is not true. Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is a strong man. Strong man. Prince Charles will be immediately the next Duke of Edinburgh, and Prince William will certainly get the title Earl of Merioneth. I hope this is not true.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Has it been definitely reported that he called in the middle of the night, or was the meeting called at some earlier time, with word of it only reaching the press in the middle of the night?
A good point!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
I hope this is not true. Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is a strong man. Strong man. Prince Charles will be immediately the next Duke of Edinburgh, and Prince William will certainly get the title Earl of Merioneth. I hope this is not true.

No the next DOE will be The Earl and Countess of Wessex. That has been known for years
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post

Really? Is this time for title information that is half wrong? William doesn't need to use a courtesy title.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii