The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Philip has had trouble with his heart before, so it is possible that he has had a heart attack. I didn't think anything serious was going on until I saw reports of roads to Buckingham Palace being closed.

I hope not, but he is an old man.

This wait is also bringing back memories of last fall when my dad passed away suddenly (I wasn't at home) and didn't find out until the next morning.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
It's local Election Day in the U.K. today it has got to be something big as they would avoid announcing anything today and wouldn't be calling staff who would be voting locally to a emergency meeting.
Exactly. If it as abdication (Which clearly it not) The Queen would wait and announcement hat most likely after UK General election. And Why else would Royal Family "allegedly" be called to PAalce at this of night?

If the Queen had any intention of abdicating clearly ti be in the day time that she would tell them.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Majesty

Perhaps that was a long discussion about the dissolution of Parliament.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Aristocracy

I have heard that the flag over BP has been lowered to half mast. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Majesty

My condolences rmay286. My father passed away quite suddenly, and I was away as well. It's a real shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
This wait is also bringing back memories of last fall when my dad passed away suddenly (I wasn't at home) and didn't find out until the next morning.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Majesty

I saw a correction of that rumour on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbevb View Post
I have heard that the flag over BP has been lowered to half mast. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just waiting to hear something from the Royal reporters and correspondents.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 12:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
What's going on? There is no news in the U.S. about anything. Please keep posting.

An Australian media website has reported that UK media is "swarming to Buckingham Palace" LadyGabrielle.

Whether this is accurate or not, this is no longer confined to twitter as many mainstream media are detailing the meeting - saying it was called at 3.00am London time - without trying to fan the speculation.

A New Zealand newspaper is reporting their calls to Buckingham Palace are going un-answered.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Nobility

If this all turns out to be nothing and Prince Philip is just fine, I look forward to him going to his scheduled engagements tomorrow and having a good laugh at our expense.

But in the meantime, I don't think I'll be going to bed anytime soon until we hear something definitive.
Aristocracy

The French Media is reporting that it is HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh has died at the age of 95. https://www.facebook.com/BritishMona...91760157531672
Heir Apparent

The Royal Standard doesn't get lowered to half mast. So as long as the Queen is there, royal standard is full mast.
Nobility

The situation on Twitter is exactly what's known as the fog of war. A lot of initial reports will be wrong.

The initial reports that the family had been called to the palace don't seem to be picking up any steam, and haven't been followed up by any sightings that I've seen, so that may be incorrect.

ETA: Robert Jobson has weighed in and seems unconcerned: https://twitter.com/theroyaleditor/s...78918387994624
My understanding re so called Buckingham Palace "emergency meeting" is there is no cause for alarm.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
If this all turns out to be nothing and Prince Philip is just fine, I look forward to him going to his scheduled engagements tomorrow and having a good laugh at our expense.

But in the meantime, I don't think I'll be going to bed anytime soon until we hear something definitive.

Yup, I've accepted that I'll be up for the next three hours until we know.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Majesty

Yes. And if the queen passes, the standard if Charles would fly as the senior royal there.

That was the controversy when Diana died. People made a huge fuss as no flag was being flown. It was pointed out the queen was at Balmoral so of course no flag was flown. And even if she was there, it would never be lowered. It wasn't when either of the queen's parents died. To calm things, the Union Jack was flown and at hair mast. Usually only the queen's standard is ever flown.

My heart is hurting as I am fearing news of Philip. It just have been sudden as he had an event

The queen would never abdicate. And even if she did, not in the middle of the night.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
My condolences rmay286. My father passed away quite suddenly, and I was away as well. It's a real shock.
Thanks - sorry you had to experience that too.

They are saying this meeting was called at 3 am, which is why I wonder why Robert Jobson would say there is 'no cause for alarm.'

It's midnight here...should I stay up...???
Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes. And if the queen passes, the standard if Charles would fly as the senior royal there.

That was the controversy when Diana died. People made a huge fuss as no flag was being flown. It was pointed out the queen was at Balmoral so of course no flag was flown. And even if she was there, it would never be lowered. It wasn't when either of the queen's parents died. To calm things, the Union Jack was flown and at hair mast. Usually only the queen's standard is ever flown.

My heart is hurting as I am fearing news of Philip. It just have been sudden as he had an event

The queen would never abdicate. And even if she did, not in the middle of the night.
And never, in a million years of Sundays, in the middle of a general election.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Majesty

I want to believe Philip is okay I really do. But something major must have happened. Emergency meetings don't get called in the middle if the night, for no reason. Staff from all residences called and brought after midnight, something big is happening. Praying it's not our worst fears.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Abdication isn't something that can be done in a day especially with the realms involved. It took 2 years to change the succession laws.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Serene Highness

BBC news isn't saying anything. It's 6 p.m. Wed here. Anything else that anyone is hearing?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:04 AM
Majesty

I'm an hour ahead of you. It's "only" another three hours' waiting for me.
I might stay up; or I might just check in again if I don't sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Thanks - sorry you had to experience that too.

They are saying this meeting was held at 3 am, which is why I wonder why Robert Jobson would say there is 'no cause for alarm.'

It's midnight here...should I stay up...???

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii