General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're so absolutely right, gagates. The Queen is iconic in so many ways from writing the book on diplomacy and how to be Queen to being a Bond girl and being a role model for having a successful marriage to being a cover girl with a smile that lights up a room to.. to... and the list just keeps on growing.

I think Robert Hardman said it best when he called her "Queen of the World". If a person's worth is measured by inspiring others, then Queen Elizabeth II has perhaps lit more candles of inspiration on our planet than anyone and that light is still going strong.

Another way to show how iconic she is: in Germany (don't know how it is in other countries), Queen Elizabeth II is the only Queen, whose name doesn't have to be fully written out, to get known which Queen is meant, because she THE Queen.

Another way to show how iconic she is: in Germany (don't know how it is in other countries), Queen Elizabeth II is the only Queen, whose name doesn't have to be fully written out, to get known which Queen is meant, because she THE Queen.

It the same in the United States.. A lot of people here (The Royal watchers do obviously but just everyday people in general) don't know that Denmark has a Queen regent. Many people were surprised to learn The Netherlands had one when Queen Beatrix abdicated several years ago.

But yes, in The states if you say "THe Queen" everyone assumes you are talking about Elizabeth II. I think it was the way during Queen Victoria reign

Prince Philip looks really fit! I did read once, that Queen Mum started with the habit of drinking every evening a Gin with Dubonnet. And it is said, that this is the favourite tipple of the Queen too. I wonder, if Philip drinks one too - and this is the secret of their astonishing fitness in high age (beside good genes).

I really can't remember where I've read it but I believe that Philip prefers ale/beer/lager over a gin and Dubonnet. :D

Amazing pictures of these two young folks enjoying the fresh air and doing what they love best.

I guess what Margaret Rhodes said in her book "The Final Curtsy" is worth paying attention to. One doesn't stay indoors all the time but gets outside and enjoys the day. :D

HM and Philip have incredible stamina for their age; one would be mistaken for thinking that they were at least 10 or 20 years younger than they are!
I wonder if Philip and Louise go carriage riding together as it seems that his granddaughter has inherited his love for the sport and was seen riding a carriage across Windsor's grounds this weekend.

A truly inspiring couple. It is crazy to think most people have never known a time without them :ohmy:

I think Prince Philip is fine so long as he keeps moving. It's that quite long standing in position on the balcony in the cold November air at the ceremony that might be a bit of a problem.

I think Prince Philip is fine so long as he keeps moving. It's that quite long standing in position on the balcony in the cold November air at the ceremony that might be a bit of a problem.

Yes, as I recall last year he had to lean against a pillar, and clearly seemed uncomfortable, so I'm not surprised he skipped the ceremony at the Cenotaph this year.

He maybe had also pain because of his hips/hip (I don't recall if he had surgery on one or both).

Mrs. Obama has revealed the real reason why she and The Queen hugged each other-
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michelle-obama-reveals-real-reason-000100684.html

The Guardian has the same story plus a bit about a subsequent encounter

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/12/michelle-obama-memoir-becoming-five-takeaways

The comment about "did they give you rules for this, that's rubbish, sit where you want" reinforces my own belief that the Queen and the Royal Family are far less precious than others are about what the critics believe to be the correct protocol and all the supposed faux pas of whoever is being targeted that week.

If there is one thing that is a given, its that the Queen can write a book about making people feel comfortable around her. This is a woman that gets a kick out of when things go bump in the night as everything going according to plan and protocol can tend to get tedious and very, very boring. :D

I just think some people forget that the royals are human. People treat The Queen like she have the title ‘monarch’ written on her forehead and that’s all there is to her. She and Mrs. Obama had a precious moment talking about how much their feet hurt and I just loved that.

Yes, these are charming and quite lovely anecdotes, showing the Queen in private at her most comfortable.

I just think some people forget that the royals are human. People treat The Queen like she have the title ‘monarch’ written on her forehead and that’s all there is to her. She and Mrs. Obama had a precious moment talking about how much their feet hurt and I just loved that.

There are many, many anecdotes such as this concerning HM and the reality is that this woman has a very sharp wit and can be extremely funny at times. I loved "The Wicked Wit of Queen Elizabeth II" by Karen Dolby:

It does stand to reason that HM realizes that she inspires awe in people and that can make them nervous and tongue tied and shaking in their boots and she's developed the knack of making people feel at ease. Its also said that Charles has this ability and we've seen examples too of this in Camilla. :D

There are many, many anecdotes such as this concerning HM and the reality is that this woman has a very sharp wit and can be extremely funny at times. I loved "The Wicked Wit of Queen Elizabeth II" by Karen Dolby:

It does stand to reason that HM realizes that she inspires awe in people and that can make them nervous and tongue tied and shaking in their boots and she's developed the knack of making people feel at ease. Its also said that Charles has this ability and we've seen examples too of this in Camilla. :D

I think the Queen's great talent is that she does it without causing controversy. It's said Prince Philip's foot in mouth comments often come from attempts to put people at their ease. Unfortunately the Duke's comments are often taken the wrong way (or aren't properly thought through before he makes them - take your pick), the Queen though manages to put people at their ease without getting anyone offside. When you consider that she is said to be shy and that she's been doing this for almost three quarters of a century without causing offence or raising eyebrows, that's truly remarkable.

Earlier this month, there was a programme on British television demonstrating a social experiment where a group of pre-school aged children were paired with a group of elderly people in a care home, and they asked each respective groups how they feel about growing older. One of the elderly woman, a 102 year old, stated that she thinks she's still 47 inside; and I think that perfectly describes how Philip feels. I always say this but he has incredible stamina for his age - just goes to show that age doesn't equate to abilities as I can think of plenty of people I know who are a lot younger than Philip but not nearly as active as him.
I can't help but worry about him though, especially when he's out in the rain like this. I'm sure his doctors have given him the "thumbs up" before hand, but it's nevertheless it still makes me slightly weary!

Earlier this month, there was a programme on British television demonstrating a social experiment where a group of pre-school aged children were paired with a group of elderly people in a care home, and they asked each respective groups how they feel about growing older. One of the elderly woman, a 102 year old, stated that she thinks she's still 47 inside; and I think that perfectly describes how Philip feels. I always say this but he has incredible stamina for his age - just goes to show that age doesn't equate to abilities as I can think of plenty of people I know who are a lot younger than Philip but not nearly as active as him.

I can't help but worry about him though, especially when he's out in the rain like this. I'm sure his doctors have given him the "thumbs up" before hand, but it's nevertheless it still makes me slightly weary!

Side note: I LOVE Old People’s Home for 4 year olds it’s the most heart warming show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom