The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Majesty

Prince Philip's secret stag-do revealed: The 26-year-old's private party where guests were served foie gras, turtle soup and mixed grill less than a week before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth

Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Prince Philip's secret stag-do revealed: The 26-year-old's private party where guests were served foie gras, turtle soup and mixed grill less than a week before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth

I looked at the picture of the seating arrangement and there is a man on the list named Guy Middleton. I wonder if he is related to Kate's family?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

If it's not a naval friend of Prince Philip's it could well be Guy Middleton Power, who was better known as Guy Middleton and was a character actor (suave naval and army types) of the British cinema of the 1940s and 50s. He was apparently a member of the Thursday Club to which Philip and several of his friends belonged.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

An Intimate Portrait of 70 Years of Marriage:
An intimate portrait of the Royals 70-year marriage* | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Here he is again:
Prince Philip enjoys a carriage ride in Windsor | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Dressed in riding gear, waterproofs and a casual baseball cap the woman enjoyed conversation with His Majesty as she road in the rear of the carriage.
DF and their silly articles.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

darn I thought it said Mixed girls....
Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Here he is again:
Prince Philip enjoys a carriage ride in Windsor | Daily Mail Online

DF and their silly articles.
Thank goodness we can now ignore all the nonsense written about him having to be propped up on the balcony at the wreath-laying ceremony on Sunday morning!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II rides in the grounds of Windsor Castle on 18 November

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...windsor_castle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-Windsor.html
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks eya! The Queen is just amazing.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Out of all the pictures that we get here of HM, I think the ones I enjoy the most are the ones where she's out riding. Probably because I know one of her very favorite times is when its her and her Fell pony out for a jaunt around Windsor Great Park. Its something very personal to her and a lifelong favorite thing to be doing with her time.

The fact that she's 91 and still riding isn't just amazing, its something that you don't expect a lot of people over 90 to still be doing. Its the same with Philip and his carriage driving. Makes me seriously wonder if this couple were the inspiration for the Energizer Bunny.

energizer bunny gif | GIF Images Download

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen out enjoying a ride on her Fell Pony ahead of her Wedding Anniversary-
The Queen enjoys morning horse ride at Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

Must be very relaxing to enjoy a good ride out.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Gentry

I'm totally admiring her for being able to still ride but every time I see her I'm wondering if she can get on/off the horse by herself or if she's got help.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Nobility

I'm pretty sure she's either using a mounting block or getting assistance from a groom.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Lovely that she is still about to ride. If she ever stops riding that's not a good sign.

LaRae
Old 11-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Takes amazing to whole different level.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 AM
Majesty

They are an amazing couple and obviously, both have slowed down. HM does look like she is enjoying a quiet time when there are not lots of people around and she gets the illusion of solitude. She probably does use a mounting block and is, as always, accompanied by a groom who could also be a PO for all we know. Whatever, I want to be as active at her age.

Prince Philip gave up riding years ago but then he took up Carriage Driving which I think takes just as much energy with having two horses (and aren't they gorgeous) to control. That he isn't exactly going at a snail's pace is reflected by his back seat passenger's (DF says female - how very astute an observation) obvious discomfort. Perhaps she is a PO since she's not riding up front with him and ball caps are not the norm among his usual companions. Whoever she is, she certainly doesn't look like this is where she really wants to be.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:07 AM
Majesty

Her companion is her head stud groom Terry Pendry. He is more often then not her companion when we see her out riding, even when she has company like Lord Vestry.

Even with a mounting block, it still takes some energy to mount and ride. Its definitely a good sign. I will worry when she isn't riding.

Philip as well. He may not be riding but controlling two horses pulling a carriage at a good speed is not a simple thing. Good exercise for him.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Courtier

Unbelievably amazing that at 91 she still rides her horse, truly a woman of strong character and strength of heart. Bless her and hope to see her still doing this a decade from now.......what a remarkable lady to have been through so much in life and still comes out smiling......
Old 11-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

Queen awards Prince Phillip with rare honour | Daily Mail Online

An honour for the Duke of Edinburgh.
I wonder why it has taken so long though? Most other members of the Royal Family (and their spouses) are already GCVO, along with many others who have served Her Majesty personally.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
So what did happen to Philip's stag do chums? Rarely seen photo reveals the friends who partied with the Prince before his wedding...and went on to lead extraordinary lives

That's a good question Eya. I have no idea. Most likely, they were secreted and protected behind the doors of the Tuesday Club that Philip was so fond of. Even back then, they liked to keep their private lives private.

Read an amusing story in one of the articles recently about Elizabeth and Philip's wedding. I think it was on the History Extra website. Seems Philip got pulled over for speeding the night before the wedding on the way to the rehearsal. Told the cop "I'm in a hurry! I have an appointment with the Archbishop of Canterbury!". Of course, I guess by then the cop recognized Philip and let him go.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii