General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I know is that Queen Elizabeth II is a master of diplomacy and will be able to handle anyone that she meets whether it be prince or president or pauper. Should something go amiss, along with having her own private little giggle at it, she's very adept at giving a miscreant "the look". :D

Ministers have rehearsed for the Queen's death for the first time with a secret exercise to prepare for 10 days of national mourning, it has emerged.

The run-through, apparently known as Castle Dove, saw Cabinet ministers and Whitehall officials discuss 'D+1', the day after the monarch's death.

The plan, which is reported to be called London Bridge, came in the week that the 92-year-old Queen pulled out of a service at St Paul's Cathedral because she was feeling ill.

It was the first time politicians had joined civil servants in the same room to discuss the plans, which would involve the Prime Minister speaking to the country, The Sunday Times reported.

Read more: Ministers rehearse for Queen's death for first time with secret exercise | Daily Mail Online

Its never nice to hear about such things but I guess being wholly practical it makes sense. We've known civil servants (who don't change with each government) have practiced for years just as the BBC and other media outlets do. Given the current government in theory runs until 2022 getting the ministers involved just means everyone will know what is expected of them.

So, doesthis work visit by president Trump mean that a state visit is off?

I think so too, Dman. Have it done on her summer break where she can recuperate at her own leisure in Scotland.

Oh, I don't know? How many working people do you know that forego the restorative value of your summer holiday just so they can not miss a day of work?

To be honest, that sounds like the Queen. :D

She also probably wanted to wait for Philip to do his hip surgery so she could be there for him. He will be a great coach for her physical therapy post surgery.

Queen's patronage has single-handedly saved the British hat industry, Philip Treacy says - Telegraph
She has been on the throne for more than 65 years, fulfiling her public duties, unifying the Commonwealth and providing the steady role-model the nation needs in turbulent times.

The Queen has also single-handedly kept the hat industry in business, according to Philip Treacy.

Treacy, the milliner used regularly by members of the Royal family, said the Queen had “kept hats alive in the imagination of people all over the world”, ensuring their survival even as most of her subjects largely abandoned them.
Well, she has also ''single-handedly'' kept the monarchy relevant/popular, especially from 1952 to 2013 - when she was fully active, so not bad.

Queen's patronage has single-handedly saved the British hat industry, Philip Treacy says - Telegraph

Well, she has also ''single-handedly'' kept the monarchy relevant/popular, especially from 1952 to 2013 - when she was fully active, so not bad.

I'm sorry to ask but what happened in 2013? As far as I'm aware The Queen has remained fully active. She does her red boxes every day, conducts audiences with the PM and others, carries out an extensive diary of engagements. Ok she no longer does overseas travel but the woman is 92 years of age. She has just carried out a week of engagements in Scotland - every day - and in temperatures most of us struggle with!

She certainly kept Treacy's business going :flowers:

Angela Kelly heads a large in-house design department where the greater amount of HM's wardrobe is created.

Around 2013 I think Angela Kelly started making many of HM's hats and now employs many in-house milliners.

I'm sorry to ask but what happened in 2013? As far as I'm aware The Queen has remained fully active. She does her red boxes every day, conducts audiences with the PM and others, carries out an extensive diary of engagements. Ok she no longer does overseas travel but the woman is 92 years of age. She has just carried out a week of engagements in Scotland - every day - and in temperatures most of us struggle with!
That was the year when she stopped with the walkabouts, and when her outdoors engagements was reduced to about 30% (about 70% now takes place inside the royal residences).
But don't get me wrong, she is amazing for her age - and I praised her for the way she carried out her ''engagements in Scotland'' (during the Holyrood Week) in the ''British Royal Family Current Events'' thread last week.

And my post was actually meant to be complimenting. ?

--------------------

Angela Kelly heads a large in-house design department where the greater amount of HM's wardrobe is created.
Yes, she does, but fashion designer Stewart Parvin and milliner Rachel Trevor-Morgan still creates a great amount of Her Majesty's clothes/hats. ?

Around 2013 I think Angela Kelly started making many of HM's hats and now employs many in-house milliners.
Well, she used Angela Kelly hats for the royal wedding in 2011 and for some events during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, so it started a bit before that, I think. ?

Last edited:
The *President of the United States* has already landed in the UK. He'll meet with the Queen tomorrow and there will be a military parade with the Queen and President Trump reviewing the Coldstream Guards.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is one thing that I think President Trump might do that worries me is that he'll attempt to hug the Queen. She's so grandmotherly that she does kind of inspire the image of grandma and cookies and hugs. I just hope that President Trump is advised ahead of time that one does not touch the Queen.

I personally think this will all go off without a hitch. How much trouble can a person get into watching a military parade and listen to the anthems? Then it'll be a short tea and time to move on. I expect though that if Mr. Trump does say anything, it will in praise of the Queen. She's iconic, diplomatic and knows her stuff and I think the Trumps will admire her for that. :D

The Queen has had to meet with far worse men than Trump in her life....she'll handle whatever happens with her usual aplomb. I'm sure anyone meeting with the Queen is advised before hand on the proper protocol...so hopefully it all goes well.

I just want to see what Melania is wearing...I loved her outfit today when they arrived.

LaRae

That's wonderful. However, the article has it wrong. Alexandra (whom Charles gave away at her wedding last year) isn't Earl Mountbatten's daughter. He only had two children, Patricia and Pamela. She is is his great-granddaughter.

Last edited:
There is a new Earl Mountbatten who is the grandson of the 1st Earl.

Thanks Skippyboo. Too early in the morning here for me, obviously!

A family line might be helpful here:

1. 1st Earl Mountbatten - the famous Uncle Dickie
2. 2nd Countess Mountbatten - Lord Mountbatten's elder daughter and first cousin to Prince Philip
3. 3rd Earl Mountbatten - grandson of Uncle Dickie and the current holder of the title
4. Alexandra Hooper - daughter of the 3rd Earl Mountbatten and great-granddaughter of the 1st Earl
5. Baby Hooper - grandson of the current Earl Mountbatten and great-great-grandson of the 1st Earl Mountbatten

Is baby Hooper a boy? Has his name been disclosed?
Are their any pictures? It is a great honour for the baby and, I imagine, for Prince Philip.
i doubt Philip would have met Trump anyway - as he is still recovering, I guess.

I missed this news earlier - how wonderful for both Philip and the new little member of the Mountbatten family.
Just out of interest, are any other royals godparents to any Mountbattens? I know that in reverse Lord Ivar Mountbatten is Lady Louise's godfather.

The Queen's income from her private Duchy of Lancaster estate has increased by almost a million pounds to just over £20 million, new accounts have revealed today

Via Russell Myers Twitter

The Queen's income from her private Duchy of Lancaster estate has increased by almost a million pounds to just over £20 million, new accounts have revealed today

Via Russell Myers Twitter

Is that income for the Queen before Taxes or is it the net income? I did read somewhere, that the Queen has agreed to pay income tax (it was right after the fire in Windsor, when she was a bit short of monies).

And I wonder, what happens, when she simply forgets to pay taxes, or the cheque is lost in the mail... Will she then be thrown into the Tower? I mean, surely not, as head of state she enjoys immunity.

I just find it interesting, that William the Conqueror owned the whole of England, even if it was just a second, before he shared it with his barons - And the Windsors are not even billionaires! They lost quite a lot over the generations, the royals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom