The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There is a picture of him - the DM has it.
Yes, I see the pics now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Courtier

We have to be realistic peeps! Not every member of the RF may aspire to reaching the age of the QM! Hopefully but no guarentees. Dispite the age difference, this is an old couple, who hopefully, health a factor of course, will continue to be with us for years to come.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
We have to be realistic peeps! Not every member of the RF may aspire to reaching the age of the QM! Hopefully but no guarentees. Dispite the age difference, this is an old couple, who hopefully, health a factor of course, will continue to be with us for years to come.
1. As I said in post 278. The few people who constantly complain about that Her Majesty looks frail don't know (according to me) what they are talking about.

She has some problems with her knees and is a bit bent over, but she still walks quite fast when she has to, as we have seen on 3 occasions lately.

The Queen Mother did about 50 engagements a year at the age of 100, and that despite the fact that she fell and injured herself all the time and therefore was very frail from 93 to 101.

If the Queen manages to keep herself on her feet and avoids falling, then I think she can keep going and do what she's doing now for at least 5 years.

If she is still well after the Platinum Jubilee, then I think she can keep going with around 100-150 engagements a year until she is weakened and eventually dies after a short illness. That's what the palace (according to the The Guardian) sees as most likely.

So yes, I expect HM to be with us for years to come. But she's 91 and things can happen very fast at that age.

2. Philip is 96 years old (almost 100) and has had some health problems and 6 hospital stays since 2008. So things can happen at any time now.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Commoner

I'm not a regular visitor here, so I dont know if it has been discussed somethread else, but seing the recent pics of HM and the DoE from today, there is one question that pops up...
Should he really still drive?? Or she?
Its btw the first time I saw him with glasses.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
I'm not a regular visitor here, so I dont know if it has been discussed somethread else, but seing the recent pics of HM and the DoE from today, there is one question that pops up...
Should he really still drive?? Or she?
Its btw the first time I saw him with glasses.
I think they both only drive while on the grounds of places like Windsor or Balmoral so probably not a huge problem.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think they both only drive while on the grounds of places like Windsor or Balmoral so probably not a huge problem.
It was written he drove her to some Polo Match Ground. So probs not on their private ground if I am right?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It was written he drove her to some Polo Match Ground. So probs not on their private ground if I am right?
It was at the Polo Grounds at Windsor so unsure whether any public roads were involved.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The Guards Polo Club is in Windsor Great Park, which the general public can't drive in, although the polo club's website says that visitors can buy vehicle passes.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its also where the Queen is often photographed riding. If I'm not mistaken, its owned by the Crown Estates.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Royal Highness

The Royal Scofflaw

This is amusing:

Queen Elizabeth II Was Reported To The Police For A Surprising Offense | HuffPost

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
It's pretty well known that none of the royals wear seat belts in the State cars.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's pretty well known that none of the royals wear seat belts in the State cars.
Nor does other monarchs, presidents or prime ministers. And I for one didn't find it amusing when our beloved amazing 91 year old Queen was reported to the police - I actually became quite angry.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Majesty

I would imagine it was a pretty perplexed dispatcher that had to handle that 999 call and usually someone on that job is ready to handle just about anything with calm and common sense.

Dispatcher: What is your emergency?
Caller: The Queen is breaking the law.
Dispatcher: The Queen? Which queen do you refer to sir?
Caller: Queen Elizabeth
Dispatcher: Her Majesty the Queen is breaking the law? How sir? What is the emergency?
Caller: She isn't wearing a seat belt.
Dispatcher: Your concerns have been noted. Thank you for calling.
(the call most certainly had been recorded and entered into the call log)

I can imagine by then the dispatcher is about ready to call the men with the pretty white coats and butterfly nets but that's not protocol. All calls should be handled seriously.

Now if only that was the only kind of "999" calls that the UK had to deal with.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Great/Funny post, Osipi!

I become even more irritated when I read this crap by a so-called EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Charlie Proctor: It might sound trivial not wearing a seatbelt, but The Queen should lead by example – Royal Central
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Majesty

One thing that occurred to me looking at the pictures the first article presented is that we don't know for sure if the Queen was wearing a lap seatbelt. I'm of an age that remembers cars with no seat belts at all and then cars with only the lap belts. The across the shoulders restrainer is a relatively newfangled thing in my head. Dates me doesn't it?

We have to remember too that most times when the Queen is riding in her State cars (like on the trip to Parliament), she has a well trained driver and most likely outriders. The chances of a collision would be very, very slim.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Courtier

My mother is about a decade younger than the Queen. For years she refused to buckle up. Older people are sometimes stubborn about some things.
Realize that for many many years seat belts did not exist. Even once cars came equipped with them they weren't mandatory for a long time & most people chose not to buckle up. My mother finally caved in & started buckling up after a police officer wrote her a hefty ticket for not doing so about 15 years ago.
In the Queen's case she is often on her way to an engagement & most likely doesn't want to crease/wrinkle her clothes.
The Queen also refuses to wear a helmet when she rides horses.
When you have lived through as much change as the Queen and Phillip have I think they should be allowed to continue to do some things as they did them in younger days if they want such as riding in cars w/out seat belts & on horses w/out helmets.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
My mother is about a decade younger than the Queen. For years she refused to buckle up. Older people are sometimes stubborn about some things.

Realize that for many many years seat belts did not exist. Even once cars came equipped with them they weren't mandatory for a long time & most people chose not to buckle up. My mother finally caved in & started buckling up after a police officer wrote her a hefty ticket for not doing so about 15 years ago.

In the Queen's case she is often on her way to an engagement & most likely doesn't want to crease/wrinkle her clothes.

The Queen also refuses to wear a helmet when she rides horses.

When you have lived through as much change as the Queen and Phillip have I think they should be allowed to continue to do some things as they did them in younger days if they want such as riding in cars w/out seat belts & on horses w/out helmets.

Most Sunday mornings I give my grandparents a lift to Church. Granny point blank refuses to put her seat belt on incase it creases her outfit. I rant and rave the entire way to church (2 miles on very quiet country roads).

I think The Queen is of that same mind set and generation.

However when travelling on State Occasions such as this the argument is really nonsensical - there are no other cars on the road except the entourage and this is a well rehearsed and police led state drive.

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Concerning HM looking frail and things...
She *is* looking older lately, but still looking good for her age. (Of course she's having the best treatment when it comes down to medical things or things in general. Plus the genes from her mother...)
She *is* in fact walking more bent over, but as has been said, she still walks very well. The *only* thing I am always a bit worried of are her shoes and her heels. Apparently she feels comfortable in them, but given her age...
Shortcut: IMO she's ways from being frail ALTHOUGH she's lately ageing ( a bit )
If she remains like this (without falling etc) I bet she will be able to beat her mothers age.
As we all know longevity runs in the family and here is a photo of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on her 90th birthday. Check out her shoes.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id178928274

As to driving, there was a time when the aged had to prove they were still capable of driving. That was deemed ageist and the age, inappropriate. Now they either hand them in themselves or, as a result of a driving infringement or if their doctor considers them a menace, the police will require a test.

As a result, with an aging population comes an increasing number of older drivers.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As a result, with an aging population comes an increasing number of older drivers.
And a whole lot more used cars on the market where its a case of a little old lady only driving it to church and back once a week.

But seriously, today with the Queen being 91, I don't think she's hopping in a car and tooling around London on her own. Being driven places for engagements or state occasions, as has been pointed out, the route is cleared and she has a professional driver with an entourage of outriders. The other times she does drive would be at Windsor (Philip recently was seen driving his carriage through Windsor even) and on the Sandringham and Balmoral estates which are deemed private property of the Queen and she knows that land like the back of her hand. Seat belts are not required on private property and private roads.

I'm sure that wherever the Queen goes, driving or riding her ponies, there is always someone that has a finely trained eagle eye on her.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:57 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II is the UK's longest serving monarch - overtaking Queen Victoria's reign of 63 years, seven months and two days. When Elizabeth became Queen in 1952, Stalin was still leader of the USSR and Truman President of the US.

Queen Elizabeth: The many world leaders she has outlasted - BBC News

Scotland’s newest canal named Queen Elizabeth II Canal

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transpo...anal-1-4490828

Queen Elizabeth's celebrity fan club

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/...een-elizabeth/

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii