General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just met a German lady who attended a Buckingham Palace garden party once some time ago.

She sat down with an empty chair beside her, and at some point the Queen sat in it, making small talk with those on either side.

This lady was impressed with how well the Queen spoke German with her. (Didn't get onto what they spoke about, but still after all these years, this was the impression left by the Queen on this lady - her excellent German language skills.)

Oh that's slick. I like to get a couple of those!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks eya! :flowers:

Another year in a remarkably long and successful reign for HM the Queen. - Here's some of the many articles (note that there are factual errors):

Today marks 66 years since The Queen took to the throne – Royal Central
The next nationwide celebrations for a jubilee occasion will be in 2022 when Her Majesty celebrates 70 years on the throne.

The Platinum Jubilee will take place in the same year as The Queen turns 96-years-old, and is expected to be celebrated on an even larger scale than the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

All the records Queen Elizabeth has broken – Royal Central
Today, Queen Elizabeth will be entering her 67th year as monarch. A feat never achieved before by a British monarch. She will not be celebrating the occasion because the date also marks the anniversary of her father’s death.

With all those years under her belt, it is no wonder Her Majesty has broken an exceptional number of records. These are some of them:

Another year in a remarkably long reign for The Queen – ITV
The Queen will mark it quietly and with sombre reflection but she will certainly pause to mark the passing of her father, George, 66 years ago.

For Queen Elizabeth II, the date of 6 February 1952 is not just the day her father died of lung cancer, but the moment her life changed completely and permanently.

The Queen marks 66th anniversary of her accession to the throne quietly at Sandringham – Express
Gun salutes were being fired on the anniversary of her accession, including a 41-gun salute by the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery in London's Green Park and a 62-gun salute by the Honourable Artillery Company at the Tower of London.

As she does most years, the Queen is reflecting on the anniversary of her father's death in private at Sandringham in Norfolk, where she has been staying for her annual winter break.

Royal gun salute marks 66th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth | Daily Mail Online
Today marks the 66th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's accession to the throne.

And gun salutes rang out across the UK's capital to celebrate the Royal's special day, with 41 volleys fired by the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery in London's Green Park at noon.

Dramatic pictures saw members of the King's Troop Horse Artillery make a grand entrance to the park, before firing the canons at midday and then departing.

Elizabeth is the longest-reigning sovereign in British history, becoming queen on February 6th 1952 aged just 25, on the death of her father King George VI, aged 56.

More on the Channel 5 Documentary: Elizabeth: Our Queen. - Articles:

How young Queen Elizabeth learnt she was heir to the throne after swimming lesson - and the man who trained her to be a monarch – Mirror
All it took was a moment for Princess Elizabeth’s life to change forever.

December 10, 1936 started like any other; the princess attended a swimming lesson with her friends, they learnt life saving techniques and, according to close friend Lady Myra Butter, she was “really quite good.”

It was when she returned home and was getting ready to write up her notes from her class that things changed.

Hearing cries of God Save the King from outside she went to investigate.

Asking a nearby footman what was going on he explained her uncle King Edward VIII had abdicated - her father was now King.

REVEALED: The heartwarming words the Queen Mother said to boost shy Queen's confidence – Express
THE secret of The Queen’s success during a lifetime of public duty can be traced back to a simple piece of motherly advice. A close friend revealed how the Queen Mother told her young daughter to always walk through the very centre of a doorway.

Lady Penn, a former lady in waiting to the Queen Mother and friend of the Queen, said the tip helped transform the shy Princess Elizabeth into a beloved figure renowned for her calm confidence and poise.

She said: “The Queen Mother told the Queen when she was very young to be brave.

“I think the Queen probably felt walking into a room full of people was rather daunting.

“So she said to her ‘what you want to do, when you walk into a room, walk through the middle of the door’.

Last edited:
Not a happy day personally for the Queen of course, with memories of her beloved father, but an extraordinary milestone as monarch. Will she reach the Platinum anniversary? I feel sure she will. A long and glorious reign indeed.

:previous: What a wonderful tribute to a very British, beloved by children all over the world bear and its creator, Michael Bond. Mr. Bond passed away last June but it seems the rest of the world is now following Mr. Bond's words of "Please take care of this bear". :D

Prince Philip an early morning carriage ride at Windsor Castle on Monday

Prince Philip heads out for a carriage ride at Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

Queen Elizabeth was renamed Rain Queen in South Africa as massive downpours during the Queen's first official trip to country after apartheid earned her the nickname Motlalepula

Elizabeth II was renamed Rain Queen in South Africa * | Daily Mail Online

A nice portrait of Queen Elizabeth by German Artist Gerhard Richter

https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0366540182/profimedia-0366540182.jpg

Great to see him enjoying a passion of his......a marvel!

Never in NYC or Washington DC? I looked it up - she's been a number of place in '57, '76, '91 and '07.

I was intrigued by the statement below from the link provided by Eya.

Although she has visited the US many more times, the Queen has only made four official state visits to the UK’s closest ally – the latest in 2007. However, she has made two additional state visits as the Queen of Canada – the only times she has made such a trip as the representative of another nation.

When did the Queen visit the US as "Queen of Canada" and how does one know exactly if she is visiting as the Queen of the UK or of some other realm ?

When did the Queen visit the US as "Queen of Canada" and how does one know exactly if she is visiting as the Queen of the UK or of some other realm ?

I believe one time was when the St. Lawrence Seaway was opened back in the late 1950s. I could be wrong though!

She attended a state dinner in 1957 (hosted by then President Eisenhower) and another in 1959 (hosted by then Vice-President Nixon) that are described as state visits undertaken by the Queen of Canada. Presumably these visits were undertaken at the request of the Canadian government; they both occurred around the same time as royal tours of Canada (the ‘57 done to open Parliament, the ‘59 to open the St Lawrence Seaway.

There have been other official visits to countries undertaken by Royals that Wikipedia at least seems to think were undertaken on behalf of Canada, and not the UK.

It is a nice portrait. I wonder if there are any portraits of her that she did not like. I know she has to be pretty open minded. The royal collection recently added some additional Andy Warhol’s do her. At the prices they go for these days, I am sure she had prepurchase approval.

The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital for planned surgery on his hip which will take place tomorrow, Buckingham Palace has announced

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

Reactions: eya
This is more serious with the hip than we may have thought. At least they've found and recognized the problem and are able to fix it. I'm hoping for a fast and speedy recovery so that we see Philip in all his glory walking down the aisle at his grandson's wedding in May.

I wish the DoE good luck with an operation that altho' 'routine', IS a worry at so advanced an age.

That is terrifying. Praying for him.

Yes, Prince Philip is in my prayers too. He’s having a surgery that hope not to have, because I have bad hip problems as well. Right now the pain is in remission.

I wish the DoE good luck with an operation that altho' 'routine', IS a worry at so advanced an age.

This is true. I have to think though that Philip isn't your average almost 97 year old though. He's pretty much kept himself in good shape over the years and that will work to his advantage, I think.

I hope nothing bad happens!
Didn't the late Queen Mother also have a hip operation at the age of 95?

I hope nothing bad happens!
Didn't the late Queen Mother also have a hip operation at the age of 95?

She did! They have the best of the best surrounding them. It is always dangerous with advanced age but I hope all goes well. Safe surgery and recovery. Hopefully nothing to bad.

Philip was probably trying to delay the surgery til after the wedding and summer court events (trooping, garter, etc) ...but sounds like it became too painful. Praying for a healthy and speedy recovery.

I wish Prince Philip all the best for a speedy recovery after his operation. I think patients are discharged from hospital within a couple of days even after hip replacements nowadays, but it might be a while before we see him walking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom