The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Watch it here: (The video is likely to be removed very soon)

Old 05-28-2017, 02:19 AM
Majesty

Looking forward to retirement! Prince Philip parks up in his Land Rover Discovery to watch carriage driving trials

Prince Philip watches the Carriage Driving Trials | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-28-2017, 03:04 AM
Nobility

He must be very pleased that Lady Louise has similiar interest in the sport. I wonder was it from her grandfather the interest sprung?
Old 05-28-2017, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Or is it a way of being seen to be the 'favoured' line of descent? That argument is one I have seen elsewhere - that Edward and Sophie have pushed her to enjoy 'grandpa's sport' so that can further ingratiate themselves into being the 'favourite' child and in-law of The Queen and Philip.

Who knows?

Maybe there is some truth in that and maybe she chose the sport because she really likes it but it isn't really a 'young person's' sport is it?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Or is it a way of being seen to be the 'favoured' line of descent? That argument is one I have seen elsewhere - that Edward and Sophie have pushed her to enjoy 'grandpa's sport' so that can further ingratiate themselves into being the 'favourite' child and in-law of The Queen and Philip.

Who knows?

Maybe there is some truth in that and maybe she chose the sport because she really likes it but it isn't really a 'young person's' sport is it?
That's pretty cynical. Maybe Louise spent time with grandpa and thought it looked fun. She seems to like horses anyway. The Wessexes do spend a lot of time at Windsor since they live nearby. I doubt a kid could feign interest to ingratiate herself or family.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Who knows?

Where? In the DF comment section or on another troll site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
That's pretty cynical. Maybe Louise spent time with grandpa and thought it looked fun. She seems to like horses anyway. The Wessexes do spend a lot of time at Windsor since they live nearby. I doubt a kid could feign interest to ingratiate herself or family.
Agrees!
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Cynical, indeed! Most people want their children to have a close relationship with their grandparents, and most grandparents want the same with their grandchildren.

I haven't been a royals watcher for very long, but as I understand it Edward has always been close to his parents. It stands to reason that he would want his children to be close to them too, regardless of "who they are". And if horses/carriages are a common interest that facilitated a strong relationship between Louise and her grandparents, then that is great, and has no doubt provided her (and will continue to provide her) with memories that will be precious to her for the rest of her life.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:47 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about the Queen at church with Edward and Louise have been moved to the British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - thread.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

I think part of the reason the Queen and Philip seem so close to the Wessex children is that they live so close to them. Only Beatrice and Eugenie lived similarly close growing up and they are now older and have their own lives.
Its said the kids go over to Windsor to ride and maybe during these visits Louise saw Philip carriage driving and thought it looked good to try out herself.
I don't think there is anything cynical in it, I think the Queen and Philip probably just reached a slightly more mellow part of their lives the same time Louise and James were old enough to share their interests a little and living so close the Queen and Philip embraced it.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think part of the reason the Queen and Philip seem so close to the Wessex children is that they live so close to them. Only Beatrice and Eugenie lived similarly close growing up and they are now older and have their own lives.
Its said the kids go over to Windsor to ride and maybe during these visits Louise saw Philip carriage driving and thought it looked good to try out herself.
I don't think there is anything cynical in it, I think the Queen and Philip probably just reached a slightly more mellow part of their lives the same time Louise and James were old enough to share their interests a little and living so close the Queen and Philip embraced it.
I don 't think you read the whole thread- some of us find the poster who said perhaps the Wessexes made Louise take up carriage racing just to ingratiate themselves with the Queen and Philip to be the favorites to be cynical.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 AM
Majesty

Royal Mail is marking the 50th anniversary of the current design on its stamps with a new issue.

Anniversary of 'Queen's head' design marked with new stamps - BBC News

Royal Mail celebrates `Queen´s head´ stamp design with new issue | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-06-2017, 02:25 AM

It's thought the Machin definitive design of HM that appears on our stamps has been reproduced some 220 billion times! An astonishing fact!

I've read speculation that the HM's image is, at this point, likely to be the most reproduced in history.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Majesty

The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery rode their horses and gun carriages across the Parade Ground at Hyde Park and staged a 41-gun royal salute to mark the Duke of Edinburgh's 96th birthday.

41-gun salute marks Duke of Edinburgh's 96th birthday
Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Who knows?

We've seen Louise and James on their ponies with the Queen (a year or two back? Maybe even longer). That Sophie and the Queen are known to have a very good relationship is no secret.

Louise looked like she was having a great time, no doubt also enjoyed dressing for the occasion.

It isn't really a sport at all, more a parade style event and who do pageant and parades better than the RF.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Prince Philip are out enjoying their favorite hobbies-
The Queen and Prince Philip go horse riding in the sun | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful that at the age of 91 and 96 this couple is able to enjoy these energetic outdoor hobbies. Good on them!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I truly believe that its keeping active that keeps them so fit and hale and hearty and enjoying what one loves to do just adds so much more to it.

Most of us just hope to reach their ages in one piece and breathing but to be that healthy and able to enjoy life would be such a blessing.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen and Prince Philip are out enjoying their favorite hobbies-
The Queen and Prince Philip go horse riding in the sun | Daily Mail Online
Thanks Dman!

Article from the telegraph with a better picture:
The Queen proves age is only a number during heatwave horse ride before Royal Ascot
Quote:
Not even Britain's heatwave will stop the Queen from partaking in a morning horse ride at the age of 91.

On the eve of Royal Ascot, Her Majesty was spotted going for a leisurely stroll at Windsor Castle, sporting a beige ensemble as she rode a petite black horse across the grounds.

The monarch's ride comes as the UK sizzles in record-breaking temperatures, with the Public Health England (PHE) urging families to keep an eye on their neighbours during the sweltering conditions.
Picture:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

The few people who constantly complain about that Her Majesty looks frail don't know (according to me) what they are talking about.

She has some problems with her knees and is a bit bent over, but she still walks quite fast when she has to, as we have seen on 3 occasions lately.

The Queen Mother did about 50 engagements a year at the age of 100, and that despite the fact that she fell and injured herself all the time and therefore was very frail from 93 to 101.

If the Queen manages to keep herself on her feet and avoids falling, then I think she can keep going and do what she's doing now for at least 5 years.

If she is still well after the Platinum Jubilee, then I think she can keep going with around 100-150 engagements a year until she is weakened and eventually dies after a short illness. That's what the palace (according to the The Guardian) sees as most likely.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Press Association‏ @PA
#Breaking Prince Philip was admitted to hospital last night as "precautionary measure" due to infection from pre-existing condition
Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With this announcement and the one just posted in the Ascot thread, it leads me to believe it when they said precautionary. Anything more dire, we wouldn't see the announcement that the Queen will be accompanied by Charles for the State Opening and they'll both be at Ascot.

Slight bump in the road of how things were supposed to be but happily continuing on as close to how things should be. Hope they get Philip's problem taken care of and he's right as rain soon.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii