General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, Royal Norway, its an exceptional article and I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read it without your praise of it.

I absolutely love the idea that these two lovebirds have been getting away to just live, love and laugh at Wood Farm. To be able to just enjoy the day as it comes and just be with each other without all the royal trappings that have surrounded them almost from the day they married.

This seems quite sad to me. It’s almost as though he is in a nursing home where he can’t be visited daily. Having seen the devastating effect of my parents-in-laws’ separation after 68 years of marriage (my MIL went into a nursing home), I can’t imagine how HM and the DoE feel.

I’m sure it’s a pleasant existence for Philip, but I don’t understand the deliberate separation.

I was surprised at how good the article was. Normally I don't bother with the D.M.

ladongas the article addresses your question.

Just LOVE the pic of the Queen (Princess Elizabeth then) sitting in the chair and Phillip standing beside her..both of them have huge smiles while looking at each other.

LaRae

Last edited:
This seems quite sad to me. It’s almost as though he is in a nursing home where he can’t be visited daily. Having seen the devastating effect of my parents-in-laws’ separation after 68 years of marriage (my MIL went into a nursing home), I can’t imagine how HM and the DoE feel.

I’m sure it’s a pleasant existence for Philip, but I don’t understand the deliberate separation.

After watching the DoE for years, I can almost guarantee that if he didn't want to be at Wood Farm, he wouldn't be. He's not incarcerated there as he comes and goes from Windsor Castle as we've seen from the article and they spend time as a couple at Wood Farm.

The Queen and the DoE have such a marriage that they don't have to be in each other's back pockets 24/7. Wood Farm seems like an idyllic place to have for a "bolthole" and just get away from everyday life. What is amazing is that this couple really didn't openly do the "retirement" thing until they both were well into their 90s. Its hard to believe but Philip is going on 97 next June. I think he deserves down time to just read and paint or do whatever the mood hits him. :D

I was surprised at how good the article was. Normally I don't bother with the D.M.

ladongas the article addresses your question.

Just LOVE the pic of the Queen (Princess Elizabeth then) sitting in the chair and Phillip standing beside her..both of them have huge smiles while looking at each other.

LaRae

Of course I read the article, and then I re-read it. I still don’t understand the deliberate separation.

Of course I read the article, and then I re-read it. I still don’t understand the deliberate separation.

They still see each other. I know a number of couples where 1 spouse is retired and the other isn't. You will often see the retired spouse off doing their own thing.

LaRae

Yes, I know of couples who ‘do their own thing’. None of them are nearly 100 years old, though.

It is their life to live as they wish, of course- I just find it odd. Hate to think of HM sitting alone at the breakfast table (just her and her Tupperware containers).

Last edited:
Thank you Dman. Knowing the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have created their own little bit of “heaven on earth”, away from the prying eyes of the world, warms the heart. It’s nice to think of them sitting in front of a fire with a cup of tea just being together.

I don't see it as a 'deliberate separation'.

Prince Philip is retired and needs to be somewhere that he can call his own - he has chosen Wood Farm.
HM still spends much time with him - however she is still working! Therefore I'm sure she spends time with him at Wood Farm, and then goes to 'the office' i.e. Buckingham Palace.
Or when together in Norfolk, they stay at Sandringham. No matter.
I love that the article mentioned that he travelled with her by helicopter to BP and then on to Windsor - not doubt he will be there waiting for her 'with the fire lit and the kettle boiled' when she arrives for her long weekend.

Please don't use the word 'separation' in the context of these two - I can't bear it :sad:

The only way for him to be where his wife can see him daily is at Buckingham. There is no privacy for him there. No gardens for him to enjoy alone. Or pursue his hobbies. Even Windsor the queen is only at weekends.

It makes sense that he is up at Wood farm which he obviously enjoys. He can carriage drive, paint, do whatever he chooses to do. And unlike being up at Balmoral, close enough for his family to visit or for him to go visit. He has been down to Windsor since retirement.

He definitely has earned his retirement and the right to choose how to spend it. :flowers:

And the article said even though the Queen misses him, she thinks it is better for him since if he were in London he would feel obliged to attend engagements.

I don't see it as a 'deliberate separation'.

Prince Philip is retired and needs to be somewhere that he can call his own - he has chosen Wood Farm.
HM still spends much time with him - however she is still working! Therefore I'm sure she spends time with him at Wood Farm, and then goes to 'the office' i.e. Buckingham Palace.
Or when together in Norfolk, they stay at Sandringham. No matter.
I love that the article mentioned that he travelled with her by helicopter to BP and then on to Windsor - not doubt he will be there waiting for her 'with the fire lit and the kettle boiled' when she arrives for her long weekend.

Please don't use the word 'separation' in the context of these two - I can't bear it :sad:

Oh I totally agree with your comment, this is NOT a separation at all, this is a woman still working hard and her husband who is retired which he more then ever deserves, living a life that suits them both for the time being. That they don't see each other 24/7 and are not in the back pocket of each everyday, is no reason to ever think they are not living together. In fact I would love to think that when they do get that weekend together there is so much to talk about and share that they are then in their own private world where nobody can interfere. Bet there is hot tea waiting and ready when HM comes home for the weekend with lots of hugs and love.

The Queen:

1.The Queen and Philip have (for decades) often spent time apart from each other, so that's nothing new.

2. And the Queen is far from alone. She is watched over by her two Pages of the Backstairs:

Paul Whybrew (known as "Big Paul"), HM's most senior butler. He was the one who starred alongside the Queen in the James Bond thing during the Olympics in 2012. He also spoke to Michael Fagan in 1982, the intruder who broke into the Queen's bedroom at BP.

Barry Mitford, HM's second most senior butler. That's the guy who always stands behind the Queen at state banquets.

About the Pages of the Backstairs: Senior servants of the Royal Household (first appointed by Queen Anne in the 1700s), attending to The Queen and Prince Philip.

The office of the Page’s is located next to Her Majesty’s lift, which is at the entrance to the private apartments. A Page is with her at all times (at all residences). On the rare occasion when a Page is out, a deputy (another footman) will take his place.

The Pages serve the drinks and meals, deal with domestic arrangements and deliver the red boxes.

They are also the only individuals who grant access to members of the Household into the Queen and Prince Philip’s private rooms.

The control of access (according to Royal Central) dates back to the Stuart era when the Pages positioned themselves, literally at the bottom off the ‘backstairs’ or Privy Stairs, which led to the Sovereigns private apartments.

She is also watched over by her other personal footmens/housemaids. Some of them (including Paul Whybrew) is watching television with her, when Philip is absent. The Queen has also a close relationship with her dressers (especially Angela Kelly).

Read about when the Queen personally comforted one of her footmens in this article from 2009:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/200911192427/queen-elizabeth/footman-comfort/state-opening/
"The Queen has a special relationship with her servants," the source added. "She is incredibly loyal and cares deeply for all of them. They respond in kind."

3. She also spends time with family/friends and her Ladies-in-Waiting.

Prince Philip:

1. From the Richard Kay article:
At Wood Farm, with its simple furnishings and open fires, Philip does have help. There is a page, housekeeper, chef and footman to take care of him, but unlike the liveried Palace staff, he prefers that they wear ordinary clothes.

2. So (as one can see) he's far from alone. Prince Philip also has two Pages of the Backstairs: Stephen Niedojadlo (his most senior butler) and William Henderson (his second most senior butler). He is also watched over by several other footmens/staffers.

3. He also spends time with family/friends.

Last edited:
:previous: Having pages around all the time is slightly different then her husband and family. Its not like they are going to sit and eat a meal with her, watch telly, have tea. They are there to help, but aren't real company. But yes certainly she has her family in London and friends at times.

Last edited:
:previous:
1. Of course, it's different than having her husband there. But as I wrote in my previous post, she and Philip have (for decades) often spent time apart from each other, so that's nothing new.

2. And she is in fact (if we can trust the sources) friendly with some of her staffers (including Paul Whybrew) who is watching television with her.

3. I wrote the previous post to show that the Queen and Philip are not alone, and being the history-nerd as I am, then I couldn't resist the temptation and simply had to write about the Pages of the Backstairs. :flowers:

4. And (again) thanks to those who uses the thanks button.

IIRc they have pretty much always had separate bedrooms even. They come from a different era.

LaRae

:previous:
1. Of course, it's different than having her husband there. But as I wrote in my previous post, she and Philip have (for decades) often spent time apart from each other, so that's nothing new.

2. And she is in fact (if we can trust the sources) friendly with some of her staffers (including Paul Whybrew) who is watching television with her.

3. I wrote the previous post to show that the Queen and Philip are not alone, and being the history-nerd as I am, then I couldn't resist the temptation and simply had to write about the Pages of the Backstairs. :flowers:

4. And (again) thanks to those who uses the thanks button.

But nobody was suggesting she was alone in the palace, like a senior citizen who may fall down and break her hip alone in her house. The fact she has servants around at all times isn't news to anyone.

Alone in the means of companionship. I am sorry but even if you invite your butler (I have my doubts) to watch tely once in a while, that is different then your husband. That is different then having that person you can share your day with and your life with. Yes, her and Philip have thankfully been apart often, but it is still a huge change it to now be the regular way of things and not the exception when one of them is away traveling for events.

As much as your nerdy history is great, I don't get how it remotely applies to the queen living alone aka no husband, kids, actual relationship.

The queen I am sure will soon adjust. I am sure she is more then happy for her husband. But it will be a huge change for anyone. When your adult kids and grandkids have their own lives, and your friends (sadly many of her closest have died) you feel the loss of the spouse more.

Thankfully she lives in modern times. Hopefully she knows how to skype :D

The Queen probably sees her adult children and grandchildren more than most people. Basically most of the family will be there next weekend for Remembrance events. They are having a family dinner for the wedding anniversary and soon it will be time for the big BP Christmas lunch and off to Sandringham until February

IIRc they have pretty much always had separate bedrooms even. They come from a different era.

LaRae
Exactly! The same goes for King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway and QMII and PH of Denmark. They love each other and spend time together, but they live pretty separate lives, both when it comes to bedrooms and other things.

But nobody was suggesting she was alone in the palace, like a senior citizen who may fall down and break her hip alone in her house. The fact she has servants around at all times isn't news to anyone.

Alone in the means of companionship. I am sorry but even if you invite your butler (I have my doubts) to watch tely once in a while, that is different then your husband. That is different then having that person you can share your day with and your life with. Yes, her and Philip have thankfully been apart often, but it is still a huge change it to now be the regular way of things and not the exception when one of them is away traveling for events.

As much as your nerdy history is great, I don't get how it remotely applies to the queen living alone aka no husband, kids, actual relationship.

The queen I am sure will soon adjust. I am sure she is more then happy for her husband. But it will be a huge change for anyone. When your adult kids and grandkids have their own lives, and your friends (sadly many of her closest have died) you feel the loss of the spouse more.

Thankfully she lives in modern times. Hopefully she knows how to skype :D
No, I know that nobody was suggesting that the Queen was alone in the palace, and I know (of course) that everyone knows that she has plenty of people to help her. But the Richard Kay article (one of his better articles) said that the Queen ''misses him terribly'' and ladongas wrote: ''Hate to think of HM sitting alone at the breakfast table (just her and her Tupperware containers).''

And then I wrote that she isn't alone (by that I meant, she isn't lonely) because she has plenty of people around her all the time. The pages, footmens, housemaids etc are around her. She meets regulary with her private secretaries and other members of the Royal Household. And no, it's not the same as having your family around you.

But she sees her family quite often (especially Edward and Sophie) and she spends time with the friends she has left. She is also (according to sources) in very good health for her age, so I think we can say/agree that she is very fortunate (and by that I don't mean that she doesn't deserve it).

It's been interesting discussing with you! :flowers:

Last edited:
Its always been that the Queen and the DoE have had their own separate interests and circles of friends even. That's how a rumor got started years and years ago that Andrew was fathered by Lord Porchester (Porchie). Philip has next to no interest in horses and breeding and racing and Porchie and the Queen were bosom buddies when it came to that area of her life. Philip, on the other hand, formed a close relationship with Lady Penny Romsey who also enjoys carriage driving as Philip does and keeping a strong relationship, it also keeps Philip's family close to him and Broadlands has been special place for both the Queen and the DoE.

This is a marriage that has always embraced individuality along with being a strong couple together. To embrace their individuality, they've had to work around a very busy public life yet for them, it works. There are times when the Queen is at Balmoral that Philip is at Sandringham taking care of things there. To be honest, this is the first I'd heard of Wood Farm being their bolthole for many years.

So, the reality is, with all the information that Royal Norway has graciously supplied us with, we see that the "retirement" to Wood Farm for Philip is nothing really new. Its a place to be where he can actively just do as he pleases and from what we've read, he's keeping busy with renovating the kitchen, reading and painting and just putzing about like most people do when they retire in their 60s or 70s. The Queen joins him when she can and as her workload has been slowing down also, its probably more than its been in a long time. The love and the respect they still show for each other tells me that this, indeed, was a marriage made in heaven and strengthened through the years by two people willing to make it work for them.

We all should be so lucky. :D

Last edited:
I love these pictures. Philip looks right in his element doing what he loves to do best. Can't say the same for the other two gentlemen with him and would love to know what was going through their minds. Probably something like "Its cold, its damp, these horses smell and I should have gone to work for someone that loves being a couch potato."

:previous: This is great. Running here in the US (and I think YouTube had a NL version as well) is a Heineken ad featuring Sir Jackie Stewart and a plot that relates to responsibility and never putting the reins aside until you have to. It's quite brilliant IMO and it reminds me of Phillip and his passion.

Does the Queen plan to attend the funeral of her maternal first cousin, Davina, Dowager Countess of Stair, nee Bowes-Lyon? (She died on 1 November, and the funeral is on 15 November).

I'm sure the Queen would like to attend the funeral but like everything nowadays the question of age, mobility, location, and icy wintry weather come into play. If the Dowager is to be buried in Scotland it might not be very likely.

Prince Philip's secret stag-do revealed: The 26-year-old's private party where guests were served foie gras, turtle soup and mixed grill less than a week before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth

I looked at the picture of the seating arrangement and there is a man on the list named Guy Middleton. I wonder if he is related to Kate's family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom