Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 03:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

The meeting at Buckingham Palace will be at 10am-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...32441892909057

A.W. TOZER
Commoner

I wonder if someone (say at Balmoral ) tweeted to say [leaving at 3am] to be in london for all staff meeting at Buckingham palace, they might have known before hand but nothing said publicly. be a big logistical step - buses? or trains to get how many people there if called urgently at 3am

Heir Presumptive

Whatever it is it's been badly handled. Either make sure things aren't leaked or make a statement first up.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:29 AM
Courtier

I do have a feeling someone going to lose their Job today.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
Just out of curiosity, are flags lowered in case of a death in the royal family?
Not at the palace.

Buckingham only flies the royal standard. It is down if queen is away, up if there. Nothing else. It is never half mast even for death of a sovereign. The standard of which ever senior royal was present would fly. The queen mums flew when her husband died, until the new queen got back from Kenya.

Honestly if this is just a meeting the palace needs to rethink how they do things. Why was this meeting even announced? Telling news outlets there will be an announcement at 8am? Only an idiot would not realize what speculation this would lead to. The meeting could have been held like any other, and a press release after. Not cause so much commotion if nothing is happening. It's not like anyone would recognize the staff from balmoral on an airplane and know something is up. If the news is just an update on renovations, if I was the media I'd be pissed about the storm they have been weathering by people demanding news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Whatever it is it's been badly handled. Either make sure things aren't leaked or make a statement first up.
Exactly. If this really is just a standard meeting, why not officially confirm that By saying it will be addressed at 8am they have made it out to be some big announcement. 8am announcements are fir births if babies, deaths and so on. Important things that are handled by official announcement and not simply press release.

Some serious looking into their staff and practices is needed if this is simply 'the queen will be moving to Windsor full time as renovations start in fall'.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
All those speculations are good and valid points - but why an "emergency" meeting at 3am?
*** Just thinking loud ***
BYe Bine
There was no meeting at 3:00 AM. 3:00 AM was just when the story started to circulate. It seems the meeting is at 10:00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Buckingham only flies the royal standard. It is down if queen is away, up if there. Nothing else.
That was true before Diana's death, but since then, the Union Jack has been flown when the Queen is not in residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Exactly. If this really is just a standard meeting, why not officially confirm that By saying it will be addressed at 8am they have made it out to be some big announcement. 8am announcements are fir births if babies, deaths and so on. Important things that are handled by official announcement and not simply press release.
I'm not sure they ever did say there would be an announcement at 8:00 AM. Social media seems to have decided that if there was an "emergency meeting," it must be about a death, and if there was a death, it would therefore be announced at 8:00, and everyone just ran with that time.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
Just out of curiosity, are flags lowered in case of a death in the royal family?
The Royal Standard - or The Queen's Flag - is never lowered. If the Queen had died then that standard would have been transferred to wherever Charles is staying and would be a full mast (the Queen is dead, Long live the King).

All other flags on the palaces and around the nation would move to half-mast as soon as the death was announced IF the person was a senior royal e.g. The Queen, Philip or Charles.

For a lesser royal it would only be the flags on some buildings/palaces etc e.g. William would probably see the flags at KP but not necessarily anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

That was true before Diana's death, but since then, the Union Jack has been flown when the Queen is not in residence.
The Union flag has always flown when the Queen is not in residence. I have photos that I took there in the 1980s of the Union Flag flying above the palace. It was how people could easily tell who was present - Royal Standard = the Queen, Union Flag = no Queen.

That was the issue when Diana died as the Union Flag wasn't lowered for her - because the flag at BP was never lowered but it always flew. Now the Union Flag will be lowered for a senior royal e.g. it was lowered for the Queen Mother.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

For a lesser royal it would only be the flags on some buildings/palaces etc e.g. William would probably see the flags at KP but not necessarily anywhere else.

That might happen for Beatrice or Eugenie, or one of the Queen's cousins, but regardless of how active he is or the fact that he's "just" a grandson of the monarch, William is not a "lesser" royal. If he were to die unexpectedly, he'd get full honours, otherwise the public would revolt.

They did it with Diana, who wasn't even a royal at the time of her death. They'd do it with William, Kate, Harry, or one of the kids.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
There was no meeting at 3:00 AM. 3:00 AM was just when the story started to circulate. It seems the meeting is at 10:00.

I'm not sure they ever did say there would be an announcement at 8:00 AM. Social media seems to have decided that if there was an "emergency meeting," it must be about a death, and if there was a death, it would therefore be announced at 8:00, and everyone just ran with that time.

At least one reporter has said that they were told to be prepared for an announcement this morning. It's not a stretch to believe the press that their offices had been informed of a coming announcement and the time.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
How possible is it that something like the old ceiling in BP that had been losing pieces has collapsed and now BP is not considered safe to be a residence. That, to me, would rate an emergency meeting and calling in all staff as the royal family would be advised to move out as soon as possible and staff is needed to move people and things.

For some reason, a death in the royal family wouldn't warrant calling in all the staff. Or would it?

Just waiting on news. Woke up to the pending announcement and anxious to know that everyone or eveything is OK.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Would that really require the calling in of the staff from Balmoral and Sandringham whom I believe have been called in - not just those based in BP or Windsor but from all over the Kingdom.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It would make sense to me if, as someone before me has mentioned, priceless items have to be relocated to different residences. I would imagine moving the royal family and their things to various locations would be a "all hands on deck" type of a situation.

Just musing and waiting. Waiting is always the hardest part.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 AM
Serene Highness

Lead story on both major TV channel's evening news here in Australia, with live cross-overs interviewing Royal reporter Rob Jobson and someone from the New York Times - who are amongst the media outside of Buckingham Palace.

Mention made that the church service, that both the Queen and Prince Philip are due to attend in a few hours, has not been altered
Old 05-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Television crews stand outside Buckingham Palace in central London on May 4, 2017. There is "no cause for alarm" over the health of Queen Elizabeth II and her husband after a meeting of all royal staff sparked frenzied speculation, a source told AFP today.

Belga Image
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

@DailyMailUK:Ex-royal press secretary says the meeting could be about #BuckinghamPalace's proposed £369m refurb http://dailym.ai/2p8BRYz
Old 05-04-2017, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

It's the The Lord Chamberlain who's holding the meeting. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Answering questions about staffing issues during repairs to BP

Buckingham Palace meeting 'not about health of Queen or Prince Philip' - BBC News
Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 AM
Moderator Emeritus

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/860054833071566848

No10 will have a short statement on the Buckingham Palace announcement later. But sources urging everyone to calm down

--------------

Well, now this is getting unusual.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts relating to the retirement of the Duke of Edinburgh have been moved to following thread:

Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017 - The Royal Forums
Old 05-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

♔ Arjan ♔‏ @houseoflemon
Did you know that one of Rasputin's murderers, Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia, was the Duke of Edinburgh's first cousin? #RoyalTrivia

https://twitter.com/houseoflemon/sta...82907645825026
Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich's mother was Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, the eldest sister of the Duke's father Prince Andrew. Alexandra died after giving birth to Dmitri in 1891, when Andrew was only 9.

George I of Greece -- Alexandra of Greece and Denmark -- Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia
George I of Greece -- Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark -- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii