The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Someone on twitter made a good guess. Could just be about renovations. Or maybe Prince Philip retiring.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Can everyone please keep us Americans informed as well.

Sure- I'm American but I have the BBC up and streaming right now. If an announcement happens, I'll post

Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Nobility

I just hope it's Prince Harry Eloping
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to the news here in Australia the 'emergency' meeting is just beginning. No announcement as whatever it is that is calling the staff to BP is being told to them now.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Royal Highness

Well its 8am and no major news yet...
Old 05-04-2017, 04:08 AM
Commoner

https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/sta...26839988940800
Discrimination still exists. Some people feel that their own beliefs are being threatened. Some are unhappy about unfamiliar cultures. They all need to be reassured that there is so much to be gained by reaching out to others; that diversity is indeed a strength and not a threat.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

[...]

My burning question is - where are they going to put all those priceless items?
In a depôt?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 AM
Nobility

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. The press is getting too excited over something they do not know that's why there's such a buzz.
2. Both the Queen and the DoE are well because otherwise they'd have been transferred to a hospital.
3. It's either the change of agenda, some other member's health or a major scandal!
4. I'm starting to believe that staff could have been notified so late out of error!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

As the meeting was only due to begin at 8.00 a.m. I wouldn't expect any announcement for some time yet - unless it is a death - which as that hasn't been announced I would say it isn't.

I am wondering whether it is something like The Queen and Charles to be 'joint monarchs' or even a Regency even though the Queen seems fine. Maybe she has come to realise that although she is still mentally capable it is way too tiring and she would be better having Charles do even more of the work while she will only appear at a few special events each year - an abdication in all but the 'a' word.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 AM
Majesty

It is most unlikely that the Queen would announce an abdication or so to her summoned staff first. In all monarchies where an abdication took place (the Vatican, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain) staff knew it at the same time as the public.

My guess is that the Court Organization will be changed and/or the plans for the restoration of Buckingham Palace will be discussed.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devondra View Post

That's a big relief. I hope the palace takes a lesson here about how rumors will go if unusual meetings are called and reported late at night.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Serene Highness

Oh for goodness sake! They just said that it has nothing to do with the health of either one of them. What the heck would it be?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh for goodness sake! They just said that it has nothing to do with the health of either one of them. What the heck would it be?
I hope it's something else, but on the other hand: what are they supposed to say before the official announcement?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Commoner

https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/sta...30457701949440

The BBC understands there is no cause for concern regarding the health of either the Queen or Prince Philip.
Discrimination still exists. Some people feel that their own beliefs are being threatened. Some are unhappy about unfamiliar cultures. They all need to be reassured that there is so much to be gained by reaching out to others; that diversity is indeed a strength and not a threat.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Nobility

Just out of curiosity, are flags lowered in case of a death in the royal family?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The Telegraph has put up a live feed of the outside of the Palace. It's more sedate than I was expecting based on the supposed hubbub.

Quote:
It could be about the renovation. The money was recently approved by Parliament.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is most unlikely that the Queen would announce an abdication or so to her summoned staff first. In all monarchies where an abdication took place (the Vatican, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain) staff knew it at the same time as the public.

My guess is that the Court Organization will be changed and/or the plans for the restoration of Buckingham Palace will be discussed.
How others choice to do things is irrelevant to how the British do it.

The British also have to inform the PMs etc of the other realms before any announcements and that is a very good reason why senior staff (and that is what we are talking about not all the staff) would be told first - so they can get on the phones etc to the other realms.
Moderator Emeritus

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...30953246404608

"There's a staff meeting at BP at 10am today. Not unusual. Then they'll be some sort of announcement. Health of Queen & Philip "fine" "
Majesty

Reports now that there'll be an announcement at 10:00 a.m.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 AM
Serene Highness

All those speculations are good and valid points - but why an "emergency" meeting at 3am?
*** Just thinking loud ***
BYe Bine

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii