General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the queen and King Felipe be able to heal the UK/Spain Gibraltar dispute? asks EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE | Daily Mail Online
Having cut back on long-haul travel, the Queen has undertaken a sequence of short state visits around Europe – to Ireland, Italy, France and, last month, Germany.

Significantly, they’re all republics.

But royal Spain is mooted for 2016, bringing HM face to face with a king.

Having avoided her European counterparts – a number of whom have recently abdicated in favour of their children – she’ll be hosted by King Felipe VI, 47, whose father King Juan Carlos stepped down last year.

A Foreign Office source suggests that an old queen and a young king might be able to heal the festering UK/Spain dispute over Gibraltar.

Ephraim Hardcastle is wrong about almost everything he writes about, so I don't trust him or his sources. I also think that Felipe and Letizia should visit the UK before the Queen (then 90) make a state visit visit to Spain. And Her Majesty have not avoided here European counterparts. It is the government who decides which country she visits.

Last edited:
and the queen and king will never be able to 'heal' that issue. Such sentimental disputes will always be stoked again and againby politicians if they dont have any other issue. Any attempt at settlement is only seen as surrender. First i hope the spanish government allows the new monarch to atleast make an introductory visit to uk.

Will the queen and King Felipe be able to heal the UK/Spain Gibraltar dispute? asks EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE | Daily Mail Online

Ephraim Hardcastle is wrong about almost everything he writes about, so I don't trust him or his sources. I also think that Felipe and Letizia should visit the UK before the Queen (then 90) make a state visit visit to Spain. And Her Majesty have not avoided here European counterparts. It is the government who decides which country she visits.

Quite right, but I think it will be interesting to see the Queen pay a state visit to a monarchy again.

Ingrid Seward has been on the publicity trail for her new book on Diana, apparently. She stated that after Diana's death, according to one witness who was present, (goodness knows who) the Queen stated 'They must have greased the brakes'. This will no doubt please conspiracy theorists everywhere. The DM seized on it, of course.

It always makes me laugh when they say that her "friends " tell all. If they were her true friends they wouldn't telling anyone anything !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Even though, her cousin Margaret Rhode, who was one of her bridesmaids I believe and is still in contact with her, has written a book in recent years and has often been seen on TV documentaries talking about her.

Even though, her cousin Margaret Rhode, who was one of her bridesmaids I believe and is still in contact with her, has written a book in recent years and has often been seen on TV documentaries talking about her.

The same goes for Patricia Mountbatten and Pamela Hicks, both close relations and close friends and often talk quite openly in interviews about The Queen and her family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

There are 14 pages of Future Engagements for September. At about 10 events per page, that's about 140 events booked for September to date.

HM: 2
DOE: 2
Then nothing for the family, in order of succession through the Earl of Wessex.
So, it's a busy month, even if an important part of the family is closed mouthed on the topic.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Royaldiary/Locationsandtimes.aspx

Nothing for the future at News and Diary either

Personally, I think the Wales bits of the family have decided to use Twitter for future event announcement. It's really disorganized for the reader that way, but I don't think they care. And if anyone wants to discuss that - we need to take it to another thread. :)

And as far as I know the dates for the China State Visit have not been finalized?

and the queen and king will never be able to 'heal' that issue. Such sentimental disputes will always be stoked again and againby politicians if they dont have any other issue. Any attempt at settlement is only seen as surrender. First i hope the spanish government allows the new monarch to atleast make an introductory visit to uk.
. Peace came to Northern Ireland. Lets not give up hope?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so the moderators can move it if it's in the wrong thread.

In a new book about Queen Elizabeth II, jolly brilliant royal family expert Ingrid Seward has a look into the inner life of Her Majesty’s childhood.
It was, as you’d expect, a fairly decadent, blessed upbringing.
Some of the little moments of the Queen’s childhood were were strict and regimented for a purpose beyond just bringing her up nicely and turning her into a nice little girl. She was, of course, being primed for a lifetime of being a monarch. Now, she is the longest-reigning monarch.

What we can learn from Queen Elizabeth's childhood - Telegraph

I love the colour photo of HM and Princess Margaret with their mother. It's rare to see a colour photo from the pre-war years!

The daily beast claims they know what happens when Philip dies. A stupid article if you ask me.

What Happens When Prince Philip Dies? - The Daily Beast
Philip’s aides have long said that he has adamantly insisted that he doesn’t want the ‘fuss’ of lying-in-state or a full state funeral.

Although Philip would undoubtedly be entitled to a full state funeral like that bestowed on Margaret Thatcher or The Queen Mother, it’s the last thing he wants.

The Queen would prefer Philip’s service to the nation to be celebrated with a state funeral, but will not go against her husband’s wishes.

Instead of being placed in Westminster Hall at the Houses of Parliament, his body is expected to lie in St James’s Palace where Diana, Princess of Wales, was laid for several days after her death in 1997.

The public will not be allowed to view the body.

He will be buried quietly in Frogmore Gardens in the grounds of Windsor Castle after a service for family and friends, including some Commonwealth countries’ heads of state at St George’s Chapel in the castle.

The Queen will enter an official period of mourning, believed to be eight days, during which she will stop work. Laws will not be given the Royal Assent, and affairs of state will be paused out of respect for her consort. After a further period of official Royal Mourning is over 30 days later, it is widely believed that Elizabeth, unlike Queen Victoria, who locked herself away in Balmoral after Albert’s death and was infrequently seen again, will resume public duties and engagements and things will carry on as normal—outwardly at least. But the private mourning, her friends and courtiers concede, will last the rest of her life.

The Queen Mother and Margaret Thatcher didn't have a full state funeral. The Queen Mother had a ceremonial funeral with a lying-in-state / Margaret Thatcher had a ceremonial funeral without a lying-in-state.

The last royal state funeral in the UK was in 1952 for King George VI, and the last state funeral outside the Royal Family was in 1965 for Winston Churchill.

I agree with the last.

Although just speculations in the article, the people that will be in charge in the event of the Queen's or Prince Philip's death already would have the arrangements worked out. I am certain most countries have the plan in place with up to date name lists of people that needs to be informed and invited to the funeral in the event of the Head of State's death. These are way too big and important events to be left for the day it happens.

The National Cathedral in Washington DC is among the churches that at all times have the plans current in case of the President's ( and also former presidents) death.

No doubt that they are plans in place. They even rehearsed the Queen's funeral when they were doing the rehearsals for the Royal Wedding of W&K. I don't believe the Frogmore burial. Where is Philip is buried the Queen will also be buried with him. The more likely place is the George VI memorial chapel in St George's Chapel Windsor. That is where her parents and sister are.

Frogmore is more for overflow of the extended family. The only monarch buried there is Edward VIII.

No doubt that they are plans in place. They even rehearsed the Queen's funeral when they were doing the rehearsals for the Royal Wedding of W&K. I don't believe the Frogmore burial. Where is Philip is buried the Queen will also be buried with him. The more likely place is the George VI memorial chapel in St George's Chapel Windsor. That is where her parents and sister are.

Frogmore is more for overflow of the extended family. The only monarch buried there is Edward VIII.

And Queen Victoria of course.

Victoria and Albert are buried in a their own elaborate mausoleum not in the royal burial grounds like the Duke of Windsor with just a headstone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article doesn't say he'd be buried in the Royal Burial Grounds, just that he'd be buried at Frogmore. For all we know there is plans to build another mausoleum there.

That said, I do agree with your general idea - Frogmore seems an unlikely burial ground for the Duke. St. George's Chapel, with the Queen's parents and sister, seem a more likely place. I believe St. George's was where the Duke's mother was initially buried as well.

Wasn't Princess Margaret cremated because of limited space in that area? It could be possible that a new crypt could be built to handle HM, the Duke and all of the Windsors.

It is well known that rehersals are routinely held for Royal funerals, usually in the early hours of the morning in London. They are allegedly code named after Bridges. After The Queen Mothers funeral some of her floral tributes were left outside Westminster Abbey for the public to view and they were interesting. Poor old D.O.E, here we are discussing his funeral and he is going to bed hoping to wake up and go with 'cabbage' on official duties tomorrow:(

Wasn't Princess Margaret cremated because of limited space in that area? It could be possible that a new crypt could be built to handle HM, the Duke and all of the Windsors.

Yes Margaret was cremated to be with her parents. There are 4 spots left in the chapel area where George VI and Queen Mum are. The Royal vault under St George's is full of Georgian Royals. I don't know if there is room to build a new chapel area bury future Kings and Queens. Probably not enough area to bury the non monarch royals. They would most likely go to the Royal burial grounds.

Yes Margaret was cremated to be with her parents. There are 4 spots left in the chapel area where George VI and Queen Mum are. The Royal vault under St George's is full of Georgian Royals. I don't know if there is room to build a new chapel area bury future Kings and Queens. Probably not enough area to bury the non monarch royals. They would most likely go to the Royal burial grounds.

From looking around, this is also the information that I mostly saw. The other 4 burial sites most likely are slated for HM and the DoE and Charles and Camilla.

Of course we won't know anything for sure until the time comes and there always can be changes in plans.

Perhaps future royals will be cremated and will therefore require much less room. I'm sure some land will be found, perhaps near the mausoleum for the Duchess of Kent.

It's not compulsory for every royal to be buried in royal burial grounds or within the precincts of royal chapels, is it? I believe one or two of Victoria's uncles were buried at cemeteries like Kensal Green.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the mausoleum for QV and PA was designed and built to only store the two of them, or is there room to store others? It is huge for just two people.

I believe there is room in the Royal burial grounds but not in St George's for all the royals. The Royal burial grounds aren't open to the public and Victoria and Albert's mausoleum is only open a couple of days a year.

St George's is open year round.

There is only V&A in their mausoleum and I think that is by design. Most of their children are buried in the Royal burial grounds.

There is going to a priority for Kings and Queens to have whatever space is left in St George's than say the Duke of Kent or Prince Andrew. Switching to cremation would save room but that a personal decision for the Royal in question.

She was guest of honour at the opening ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympics and the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but the Queen – Britain’s longest reigning monarch – will not be attending the opening ceremony and first match of the Rugby World Cup.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry, will be at Twickenham for England’s game against Fiji a week on Friday, with an announcement expected on Thursday from Kensington Palace. But the Queen will not be cutting short her annual holiday in Balmoral for the start of the latest major sporting event hosted in Britain.

As patron of the Rugby Football Union, the Queen has an open invitation to attend any international at Twickenham and it is understood that a decision has yet to be taken whether she will be present for the World Cup final on Oct 31.

Prince Harry, as RFU vice‑patron, will represent his grandmother for the opening ceremony, along with the Duke and Duchess, and is likely to attend several games.
Read more: Rugby World Cup 2015: Queen will not attend showpiece - Telegraph

It's not compulsory for every royal to be buried in royal burial grounds or within the precincts of royal chapels, is it? I believe one or two of Victoria's uncles were buried at cemeteries like Kensal Green.
Queen Victoria's uncles were only buried at Kensal Green, etc. because they wished to be buried with their "unequal" wives - who weren't welcome in Royal ground.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom