The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Does anyone have any idea if the Queen's personal reflections on having two more children with such a big gap (Charles was 12 and Anne was 10 when Andrew was born) being an older mother too (being 38 when Edward was born) and practically starting all over again (Charles being 16 when new baby, Edward was born)...

Watched the doco about Prince Charles reflections about his mother on her Jubilee and it showed footage of Charles getting some kind of honour (liege lord thing with crown and cloak?) at the age of 21, which made me think that the Queen had two young adult children (Charles, 21 and Anne, 19) and two little kids *still* (Andrew, 9 and Edward, 5)...WOW!
Anne said in an interview that, as the only girl in a family of boys, there were certain assumptions as to what girls did in the royal family, and she doesn't think she fit it very conveniently. She would have probably been regarded as a tomboy, and she wasn't terribly interested in the rather more girly aspects of life. :)

Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Royal Highness

Maybe it was Anne's chance that Charles was more introvert than herself. So it wasn't such a clear cut gender education but something more equal in terms to both tough- and softness. Charles did not let himself be pressured into a pure male image, so Anne didn't have to accept her lot in life as a woman. I once read about Royal princesses who grew up mostly with brothers and how these became strong consorts - often leaving a weaker brother behind to inherit her home country while she was married into a foreign realm.
In a way Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip raised four sons, but allowing each of them their individuality.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but I would like to send a 'Happy Anniversary' wish to Her Majesty and His Royal Highness on the occassion of their 65th wedding anniversary. Hope it's a good one with your family and friends!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Gentry

I don't know if this is the right thread, but didn't know where else to post this:
Back in November 1997, at the Golden Anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding, there was a formal Banquet where both Herself and then-PM Tony Blair gave speeches. Hers has been probably one of the deepest and most sincere ones she has ever made when it comes to confession and her overview about the institution she presides. As for Blair's, it was the one occasion he best revealed his supportive emotions for the monarchy (I can't see how and why this relationship is considered as tensious by some) -the link for his speech I found here: ??97???HM the Queen and Prince Philip's Golden Wedding Anniversary - 20 November

My question is, does anyone knows if this banquet was televised and if there are videos of these speeches?

thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth Height

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how tall was Queen Elizabeth in 1952 when she came to the throne? I ask because in picture of Elizabeth from the Early Years of her Reign she look taller then she does now. I know there is a loss of high in people's in the later years of their life. I read once that she is now 5'3"
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

That is a good question. I would venture to say she was maybe 5'6 maybe? She is smaller now because of her age, obviously, which of course is normal for aging. I bet there is someone here who could probably answer the question.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Royal Highness

The long and the short answer......there seem to be so many different heights quoted on the internet that we might never know unless we measure her!
I believe that Princess Margaret was slightly shorter that the Queen at 5'2'' (or was it 5'1''?). I think the 5'4'' figure is correct when the Queen was younger and I think it was Princess Anne who was/is 5'6''.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think it was Princess Anne who was/is 5'6''.
5'6 and a half.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how tall was Queen Elizabeth in 1952 when she came to the throne? I ask because in picture of Elizabeth from the Early Years of her Reign she look taller then she does now. I know there is a loss of high in people's in the later years of their life. I read once that she is now 5'3"
I'm the shortest in my family at 5 foot 2. My mom's 5 foot 6, my dad used to be 5 foot 9 but is now just over 5 foot 7, my brothers are 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 1. (The one who's 6 foot 1 is only 17! He also wears a size 13 shoe.) My maternal grandmother was 5 foot 4 at her tallest but shrank a little due to aging and osteoporosis. My maternal grandfather was the same as my youngest brother, 6 foot 1. I have a cousin on my dad's side of the family who's 6 foot 4, and I have a strong suspicion my brother could end up like that as well, due to his age.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I've stood beside the Queen and she is currently c. 5'3" = and I think she was officially 5'4" in her younger days. Princess Margaret was only 5'1'

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Courtier

I have a question about a story I heard a couple Years ago about Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip and was wondering if you guys ever read about this , I don't remember where I read it and I don't know the accuracy of the story. I just remembered about hearing about this the other day But I can't find anything on the Internet. So I thought I would ask on here.

Again I don't know if this story is true or not but Apparently Years ago (I think it was sometime in the 1960s or 1970s) Queen Elizabeth was spotted chasing Prince Philip out of Buckingham Palace with a object in her hand (can't remember what it was) and a Guy (I think he work there or something like that but can't exactly remember) Caught the whole thing on tape. Elizabeth latet found out that the incident was caught on video and had it destroyed.

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone on here ever heard about this?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Close, It happened in the early 50s and I believe it was in NZ or Australia during a tour. I believe the object was a squash or tennis racquet. The photographer/cameraman voluntarily destroyed the film, not at the request of the monarch, because he felt that he had intruded on a private moment. Of course since he destroyed the evidence we only have his word that the story was true to begin with.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Close, It happened in the early 50s and I believe it was in NZ or Australia during a tour. I believe the object was a squash or tennis racquet. The photographer/cameraman voluntarily destroyed the film, not at the request of the monarch, because he felt that he had intruded on a private moment. Of course since he destroyed the evidence we only have his word that the story was true to begin with.
Okay Thanks! I do remember it now. it was a photographer/Cameramen who had caught it on tape and the objects one of those two things. It hard to know if it was true or not as we only have his words and we will probably never know. I think I would probably have the tape destroyed. Obviously you know the media would pay millions for a a couple seconds clip on Video but it better to keep something like from public viewing and destroy it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Courtier

I found the story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-monarch.html

The day the Queen was filmed hurling tennis shoes at Philip

This was, perhaps, the most extraordinary piece of royal film ever shot. The Queen was not merely cross: she was hurling shoes, threats and sporting equipment, and venting the sort of regal fury that, in another age, would have cost someone their head.
The object of this tirade was the Duke of Edinburgh, who in the circumstances made the sensible decision to run away. Little wonder this scene has never seen the light of day. Few people even know about this bizarre royal bust up.
For that, the Queen can thank both an obliging Australian camera crew and one of the most gloriously curmudgeonly characters to serve in the Royal Household in her entire 60-year reign.

But Commander Richard Colville DSC, Press Secretary to both George VI and the Queen, certainly earned his keep that day on March 6, 1954.
By then, the Queen was halfway through an eight-week tour of Australia, which, in turn, was just part of a six-month post-Coronation round-the-world voyage —the greatest royal tour in modern history.
Inevitably, on a journey of this scale, there were tensions along the way, and they surfaced as the young royal couple enjoyed a weekend’s break in a chalet on the shores of the O’Shannassy Reservoir in Victoria.
On that particular Sunday afternoon, the Queen was due to be filmed looking at some kangaroos and koalas for a feature film titled The Queen In Australia.
Senior cameraman Loch Townsend had already arrived, with his deputy Frank Bagnall and a sound recordist. The afternoon light was fading.
‘Christ, when are they bloody well coming?’ muttered Townsend —at which point the door of the chalet flew open.
Bagnall instinctively turned on his camera. But what happened next was not in the script.

Out dashed Prince Philip, with a pair of tennis shoes and a tennis racquet flying after him. Next came the Queen herself, shouting at the Prince to stop running and ordering him back.
And still the camera kept on turning. Eventually, as Townsend later recalled, the Queen ‘dragged’ her husband back into the chalet and the door was slammed.
At this point, angrier than a wounded buffalo, Commander Colville suddenly charged into view.
Here was a man who thought it such a grave affront to royal privacy to film the Queen being driven through the gates of Balmoral that he had banned the BBC from doing so.
Loch Townsend was a brave film-maker who had been in action during World War II, but he was not about to enter mortal combat with the man British journalists knew as the Abominable No Man —or, simply ‘Sunshine’.
Without hesitation, Townsend exposed the film and then handed it to Colville, saying: ‘Commander, I have a present for you. You might like to give it to Her Majesty.’
Colville disappeared and a member of staff emerged with beer and sandwiches for the crew. It wasn’t long before the Queen reappeared herself, calm, serene —and extremely grateful.
‘I’m sorry for that little interlude,’ she told Townsend, ‘but, as you know, it happens in every marriage. Now, what would you like me to do?’
We shall never know the real background to the row. But it not only illustrates the dynamic between the monarchy and the media at the start of the reign, it also shows that the Queen and the Duke really are like any other couple.
As the late Lord Charteris once pointed out, Prince Philip is the only person on Earth who can tell the Queen to ‘shut up’, and vice versa.
And it is one of the reasons why this long, strong and very happy marriage has sailed through its diamond anniversary and is heading for platinum.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Great story, BritishRoyalist, thank you for posting the particulars. I had heard this story as well and thought it one of the great anecdotes of the Queen's marriage as well as the dynamics between the monarchy and the media at that time.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Great story, BritishRoyalist, thank you for posting the particulars. I had heard this story as well and thought it one of the great anecdotes of the Queen's marriage as well as the dynamics between the monarchy and the media at that time.
You welcome. I enjoyed the story, it was Pretty funny. It reminds me of something that my Grandparents would do loll You are right that is a Interesting (and Amusingly/ funny) account of of their marriage. The Dynamic between Media and monarchy in those days (and I kind of preferred those days) that peace of tape would be tucked away not to see the light of day in 1954.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Courtier

I ve heard/read about this somewhere and loved it. Does anyone know of any similar incidents among Bea-Claus or Marg-Henrik..
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I found the story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-monarch.html

The day the Queen was filmed hurling tennis shoes at Philip

This was, perhaps, the most extraordinary piece of royal film ever shot. The Queen was not merely cross: she was hurling shoes, threats and sporting equipment, and venting the sort of regal fury that, in another age, would have cost someone their head.
The object of this tirade was the Duke of Edinburgh, who in the circumstances made the sensible decision to run away. Little wonder this scene has never seen the light of day. Few people even know about this bizarre royal bust up.
For that, the Queen can thank both an obliging Australian camera crew and one of the most gloriously curmudgeonly characters to serve in the Royal Household in her entire 60-year reign.

But Commander Richard Colville DSC, Press Secretary to both George VI and the Queen, certainly earned his keep that day on March 6, 1954.
By then, the Queen was halfway through an eight-week tour of Australia, which, in turn, was just part of a six-month post-Coronation round-the-world voyage —the greatest royal tour in modern history.
Inevitably, on a journey of this scale, there were tensions along the way, and they surfaced as the young royal couple enjoyed a weekend’s break in a chalet on the shores of the O’Shannassy Reservoir in Victoria.
On that particular Sunday afternoon, the Queen was due to be filmed looking at some kangaroos and koalas for a feature film titled The Queen In Australia.
Senior cameraman Loch Townsend had already arrived, with his deputy Frank Bagnall and a sound recordist. The afternoon light was fading.
‘Christ, when are they bloody well coming?’ muttered Townsend —at which point the door of the chalet flew open.
Bagnall instinctively turned on his camera. But what happened next was not in the script.

Out dashed Prince Philip, with a pair of tennis shoes and a tennis racquet flying after him. Next came the Queen herself, shouting at the Prince to stop running and ordering him back.
And still the camera kept on turning. Eventually, as Townsend later recalled, the Queen ‘dragged’ her husband back into the chalet and the door was slammed.
At this point, angrier than a wounded buffalo, Commander Colville suddenly charged into view.
Here was a man who thought it such a grave affront to royal privacy to film the Queen being driven through the gates of Balmoral that he had banned the BBC from doing so.
Loch Townsend was a brave film-maker who had been in action during World War II, but he was not about to enter mortal combat with the man British journalists knew as the Abominable No Man —or, simply ‘Sunshine’.
Without hesitation, Townsend exposed the film and then handed it to Colville, saying: ‘Commander, I have a present for you. You might like to give it to Her Majesty.’
Colville disappeared and a member of staff emerged with beer and sandwiches for the crew. It wasn’t long before the Queen reappeared herself, calm, serene —and extremely grateful.
‘I’m sorry for that little interlude,’ she told Townsend, ‘but, as you know, it happens in every marriage. Now, what would you like me to do?’
We shall never know the real background to the row. But it not only illustrates the dynamic between the monarchy and the media at the start of the reign, it also shows that the Queen and the Duke really are like any other couple.
As the late Lord Charteris once pointed out, Prince Philip is the only person on Earth who can tell the Queen to ‘shut up’, and vice versa.
And it is one of the reasons why this long, strong and very happy marriage has sailed through its diamond anniversary and is heading for platinum.
Thank you for the interesting tidbit! I remember reading about this in one of my books, and finding the whole thing a hoot .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

Does anyone have a picture of HM throwing the shoes??
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Does anyone have a picture of HM throwing the shoes??
Oh, 'd love to see that .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents