The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=EchoLynn;1357399]Is'nt it the Diamond Jubilee year? Not the silver?

QUOTE]
Yup, the Diamond. Diamond is 60, Silver is 25.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Aristocracy

Thats what I thought, saw a mistake in an earlyer post and did'nt think it was right.

60 years... wow. If only we could have been a fly on the wall with her through them. Imagine all the history she has witnessed.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Is'nt it the Diamond Jubilee year? Not the silver?

Its going to be a very long and busy year for them both. Take away the Jubilee engagements... and we have the olympics where they will host many countries for a few months. I can't imagine what the coming summer schedule looks like. Will they even go to Balmoral for their vacation? I'm assuming that the olympics will be going on around the same time they usually head up north...
Yes, it's the Diamond Jubilee. I must have been thinking backwards.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure Philip will listen to his doctors and reduce his workload, but also sure he won't be happy about it and voice his opinion.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Thats what I thought, saw a mistake in an earlyer post and did'nt think it was right.

60 years... wow. If only we could have been a fly on the wall with her through them. Imagine all the history she has witnessed.
I can only imagine. They lived through a great deal.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a fascinating anecdote, Daria. Imagine your grandmother witnessing this exchange with the Queen, that's pretty amazing. Your interest in royalty had to be a genetic inheritance from her, it seems!One can only wonder if that woman ever received a package from the Queen, or if it ever got through to her.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

1960? Really?? I didnt think QE2 visited Russia until after the fall of the wall.
Just checked the list of state visits, she first visited the Russian federation in October 1994.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
1960? Really?? I didnt think QE2 visited Russia until after the fall of the wall.
Just checked the list of state visits, she first visited the Russian federation in October 1994.
Thank you for the information. Like I said, this was passed down to me. I don't want to come off looking like a person who likes to make things up, and to fabricate something like this would be pointless. I will check with my source and do some research myself.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Thank you for the information. Like I said, this was passed down to me. I don't want to come off looking like a person who likes to make things up, and to fabricate something like this would be pointless. I will check with my source and do some research myself.
No problem. Family stories can get a bit muddled. If it was perhaps 1958 it might have been Queen Elizabeth of Belgium who did visit the USSR. Maybe she even went back again in 1960, don't know.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
No problem. Family stories can get a bit muddled. If it was perhaps 1958 it might have been Queen Elizabeth of Belgium who did visit the USSR. Maybe she even went back again in 1960, don't know.
Did some checking and you're right; it was Elizabeth of Belgium, and not of United Kingdom. My sincere apologies. I will remove my post, since it's not relevant to the thread.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a life. I have been following her since WWII. I know that makes me old, but it has been a great pastime. I wonder what she would say are her toughest years. Some candidates would be losing you Father at such a young age. Trying to be a Mother while learning how to be a queen. ( A lot of working mothers feel stressed.) Having 2 children divorce. I would love to have tea with her and ask.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a life. I have been following her since WWII. I know that makes me old, but it has been a great pastime. I wonder what she would say are her toughest years. Some candidates would be losing you Father at such a young age. Trying to be a Mother while learning how to be a queen. ( A lot of working mothers feel stressed.) Having 2 children divorce. I would love to have tea with her and ask.
3 children divorce...

I wish I had been born when she was younger as I would have loved to have seen her beginnings as Queen. She has been through a lot and has witnessed so much change.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Your right, 3 children divorced. Thanks for the correction. Her beginnings as Queen always reminded me of someone trying very hard not to make any mistakes. I can remember the stories od how she would have Charles and Anne come play in her office as she tended to her boxes. I always felt sorry for her because she couldn't just drop everything and play with her children. Such divided loyalties.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Your right, 3 children divorced. Thanks for the correction. Her beginnings as Queen always reminded me of someone trying very hard not to make any mistakes. I can remember the stories od how she would have Charles and Anne come play in her office as she tended to her boxes. I always felt sorry for her because she couldn't just drop everything and play with her children. Such divided loyalties.
I know, I feel that must have been very hard for her as a mother. I feel Andrew and Edward got the best of Elizabeth's mothering years, sad as it is to say that. For Charles and Anne, they were both so young when she became Queen and had to do her Monarch duties a lot more, whereas with Andrew and Edward I think she found a healthy balance. I always think of that video with Andrew and Edward looking through old family photos and she is so relaxed with them.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

It was always said that Elizabeth had "two" families; the children born in pre-monarch days and the children born after she came to the throne. There was definitely a dichotomy in the parenting philosophy between the two sets.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Majesty

I can picture Her Majesty working and her two little ones on the floor, by her desk. To me, that says that she was trying to do right by her children. I think she did the best she could with what she had.

Oh, do add me to the number of those who would like to sit and have a cup of tea and a chat with Her Majesty. It would be a treat .

Old 01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Majesty

This will need to be moved to the Jubilee thread. A more detailed account from 'The Telegraph' about Her Majesty's accession and first days as the monarch.

Diamond Jubilee: the moment that Princess Elizabeth became Queen - Telegraph

Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Wonderful article. Really interesting to read what went on during that time. Thanks for that.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's a 60 things about HM in his weeks Hello! for her jubilee and there are some interesting things I didn't know. Like
1; HM has an iPod, a blackberry and is considering an iPad.
2; While she famously never carries money, the Queen has an account with top bank Coutts & Co, which has a cash machine in Buckingham Palace.
3; She's given 80,000 Christmas Puddings to the people who work for her.
4; The live animals given on royal tours, are placed in the care of London Zoo.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's a 60 things about HM in his weeks Hello! for her jubilee and there are some interesting things I didn't know. Like
1; HM has an iPod, a blackberry and is considering an iPad.
2; While she famously never carries money, the Queen has an account with top bank Coutts & Co, which has a cash machine in Buckingham Palace.
3; She's given 80,000 Christmas Puddings to the people who work for her.
4; The live animals given on royal tours, are placed in the care of London Zoo.
Her Majesty is a techie . I love it. I do remember reading that she was quite fond of modern technology. Bet she can use all of it better than me .

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents