The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...conduct-medals

Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
How wonderful!! Almost everything that could have been thought of to honor the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh has probably been done but to present them with these military awards is something very extra special I think.

Thinking of Philip giving 75 years of service to the Royal Navy really makes me realize just how much of his life he has given to his country's navy both in active duty (and during war time) and in his years of being the Duke of Edinburgh.

Well done!

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Courtier

Splendid!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen was told she should not marry Duke of Edinburgh by courtiers because he was too funny, biographer claims*
Old 10-13-2016, 07:21 AM
Majesty

I, for one, am glad that HM stuck to her guns and married the man that she loved. He, IMO, was the absolute best choice for her. Just by the example given in this article of Philip asking Elizabeth "where did you get that hat" immediately after her coronation, had to have given Elizabeth a bit of a giggle and released some of the stress that she had to have had during the long ceremony. That's what husbands and wives do in a good marriage. Balance each other out.

I still remember and its here somewhere on TRF where Elizabeth breaks out in giggles at some functions at the actions of Philip. I think, too, that most everyone here has seen that Philip's "gaffes", for the most part, are amusing. Another favorite of mine is walking up behind a TV presenter giving a report and asking "are you done yet?" totally cracking up the presenter.

For the most part, when on duty, Elizabeth has her "Queen face" on and is staid, sturdy, diligent and regal. Philip does a good job of balancing that out with witticism and levity.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Letter John Lennon wrote to the Queen turning down an MBE could sell for £60,000 | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-01-2016, 04:39 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Edinburgh was seen driving his carriage around Windsor Great Park yesterday:

** dailymail: You can't rein me in! Philip still a driving force at 95 as he takes his carriage on an early morning jaunt around Windsor **
Old 11-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone on twitter joked he went riding after having been told about Harry's new possible date XD
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen proudly shows off Britain's new £5 during*meeting with the President of Colombia
Old 11-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Prince Philip's art on display at Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Courtier

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/op...ide-nyt-region

Sorry, mods, but I have no idea where else to put this very interesting (to Royal Forum readers, I believe) article from the NY Times, published on the eve of the American election. Indeed, Canadians regard the American election with horrified amusement/dread, but are quite content with our status quo and HM on our money!
Old 11-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Perhaps you could specify what Queen you are talking about, there are still several of them around.
Seeing this is the Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip thread I should think that would be obvious! Unless trying to suggest something else!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Invitation from the queen on the cards for next us president | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen snubs bishop who branded Kate Middleton and Prince William 'shallow celebrities' | London Evening Standard
Old 11-19-2016, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Remembering Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Wedding Day
Old 11-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Polish ambassador met the Queen shared a video of himself feeding horse carrots | Daily Mail Online
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen's Christmas speech found to be predictable and repetitive by new analysis | Daily Mail Online

I think The Queen should change up her Christmas Messages a bit. Look for some new inspirations and get the family involved.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen's Christmas speech found to be predictable and repetitive by new analysis | Daily Mail Online

I think The Queen should change up her Christmas Messages a bit. Look for some new inspirations and get the family involved.
Agree, she should speak about shopping, fashions, Kardashians, pregnant celebrities, etc.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Agree, she should speak about shopping, fashions, Kardashians, pregnant celebrities, etc.
Don't think anyone is talking about that kind of change. She should change it up a bit. I think involving the family in some sort of way would be a nice touch. Showing the kids running around during the extended family Christmas lunch or the family sharing in her message would be a nice touch.

I think there's nothing wrong with pointing out the stale nature of the messages every year.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Majesty

Personally, I think HM would be best off not involving her family at all in the Christmas speech. It is the traditional Christmas message from the monarch to her people. Her family and their celebrations should remain private.

Maybe things are best left to how they always were when it comes to something like this. Its been a long standing tradition for families to gather around and listen to HM's speech. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

― John Lennon

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents