The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Brian Blessed reveals the Queen was keen to discuss his swearing when they met | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Actor Brian Blessed revealed the Queen was 'in hysterics' as she talked about his swearing during a meeting at Buckingham Palace.

Speaking to the Hay Festival last night, Blessed said: 'I had said the word f*** on Have I Got News for You when I was describing people s******g on Everest.

'Well I was at the Palace last year and the Queen was in hysterics about it.'

Mimicking the Queen's voice, Blessed said: 'That was a funny story you told about going to the toilet on Everest, Mr Blessed.

'What I would like to say to you is that the word f*** is an Anglo Saxon word. It means spreading the seed.' The actor added: 'God praise the Queen'.

The actor said the Queen continued: 'Do you know, Mr Blessed, we watch Flash Gordon all the time!

'We watch it all the time, Mr Blessed, with the children and grandchildren, so would you mind saying "Gordon's alive?"' Blessed said he obliged with an ear-splitting cry of 'Gordon's alive!'
I don't know if he was serious or not.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Driven and outspoken Prince Philip was never naturally suited to the role of public subordinate. In the first of a series ahead of the celebrations to mark the Queens 90th birthday, Royal Editor Robert Jobson examines the man who turns 95 on Friday and has occupied a unique place in the history of our modern monarchy
Read more: Prince Philip: The penniless exile who became Elizabeth II’s ‘strength and stay’ | UK | News | London Evening Standard

Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

I have decided not to read this article. The reason for that is that I can't take any of what Robert Jobson says/writes seriously.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, the article is very well written. The more I read, the more I realize that Philip is quite a remarkable man with strength and stamina to equal his wife's.

It just hit me reading this article of how much Philip's resolve to accomplish things and to keep going on with things is reflected in his eldest son. Both men are the happiest when they're doing something and both had to define their own roles in the scheme of things.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 06-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen's 10 favourite pieces of music revealed - BBC News
Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Courtier

It had never occurred to me until I was reading this article that Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, was perhaps named after Phillip's father, Prince Andrew of Greece. I'd always focused on Prince Phillip's mother, Alice, as her story is fascinating and I sort of ignored Prince Phillip's 'playboy' father.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Philip mourns loss of his closest friend days before his 95th birthday* | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

As Dman pointed out here some days ago, the sore on the Queen's right leg did not seem to heal. And I noticed during the 90th birthday celebrations and Royal Ascot that she now has a plaster on it:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5997852730.jpg
Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As Dman pointed out here some days ago, the sore on the Queen's right leg did not seem to heal. And I noticed during the 90th birthday celebrations and Royal Ascot that she now has a plaster on it:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5997852730.jpg
Yeah, she has decided to cover it up to heal. Not pleasant stuff...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen's happiness with her nearest and dearest

I voted first one!!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Majesty

They all are pretty good pictures but I went with HM, Charles and Camilla at the Braemer games. Something really must have tickled the funny bone pretty good to get them roaring with laughter as they were in the picture.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The unwavering dedication of a Royal servant in unique archive of pictures | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

Queen asks dinner guests for 'three good reasons' why Britain should be in EU | Daily Mail Online

EU referendum: Queen asks guests to give her three reasons why Britain should remain in Europe
Quote:
The Queen has been canvassing opinion on the EU debate by asking dinner companions: "Give me three good reasons why Britain should be part of Europe."

Her Majesty's biographer, Robert Lacey, reported the Queen's comments and suggested they may mean the Queen favours withdrawal from the European Union.
As Nicholas Witchell and other people who follow HM closely have said, she always ask questions like this, but it is only in recent years that people have begun to tell the press what she says (which annoys me). And as a author said some time ago, she is much more vocal than Charles.

Quote:
Buckingham Palace would neither confirm nor deny that the Queen had been debating the merits of Brexit in private, but royal sources pointed out that the words attributed to the Queen were "a question not a statement".

However the leading nature of the alleged question adds weight to previous claims that the Queen would like Britain to pull out of the EU.

Last month the press regulator found that the Sun newspaper had been guilty of "significantly misleading" its readers when it printed the headline "Queen backs Brexit" above a story about the Queen complaining about Brussels to Nick Clegg.

One royal insider said of the latest report: "She appears to be asking a question, not making a statement. She is not expressing a view."
As I've and others says, she ask tough questions, but they are not statements.

Quote:
The Queen is, officially at least, politically neutral, but she intervened in the Scottish referendum debate in 2014 by suggesting in a conversation with a member of the public, which she knew was likely to be reported by the Press, that she hoped Scots would "think very carefully" before casting their vote.

It was seen as a clear indication that the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom.
Yes the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom, but she did not intervene in the Scottish referendum debate. She just said that people should "think very carefully", does the Telegraph (who is turning in to the Daily Fail) think that is an intervention?

And it was the Telegraph and politicians from all parties who asked for an intervention from her, but the palace said this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...lace-says.html
Quote:
Buckingham Palace issued a stern statement in response to suggestions that the Queen might intervene saying that she was above politics and “those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case”.

A spokesman said: "The Sovereign's constitutional impartiality is an established principle of our democracy and one which the Queen has demonstrated throughout her reign.

"As such the Monarch is above politics and those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case.

"Any suggestion that the Queen should wish to influence the outcome of the current referendum campaign is categorically wrong. This is a matter for the people of Scotland."
Quote:
Mr Lacey made his claim about the Queen questioning dinner guests in a blog for the Daily Beast website.

He told The Telegraph: "She asked the question in the context of a general debate - she loves a bit of forthright discussion and this sort of remark is tossed around the dinner table like a ping pong ball. That is the way she frames her questions."
Exactly, that's just the way she frames her questions.

Quote:
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: "We would not comment on private conversations the Queen may or may not have had, but the Queen is above politics, has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign and we are very clear that the EU referendum is a matter for the British people."
Yes, the Queen is above politics and (as the palace says) she has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign. The Telegraph said the same thing in April, but they are now trying to politicize the Queen and uses her to gain support for their own view.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

OMG, I'm getting tired of this nonsense. The Sun/Express front pages:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgVEzMWEAE7t5T.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgLy19WgAEv_tc.jpg
Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.
This is just the rags Sun/Express who tries to use her to gain support for what they believe in. It's disgusting.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 AM
Nobility

There's no doubt in mind whatsoever that privately HM would support Brexit, as she did Scotland remaining in the UK. I truly cannot imagine her admiring the way the UK's relationship with the EU has developed.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

My royal family memorabilia: ‘I think the Queen is wonderful’ | Life and style | The Guardian
Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Majesty

I should have known that being an article from the Guardian that it would end up being on the snarky side.
― John Lennon
Old 07-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Royal Highness

If possible, I think I love and admire HM even more after reading this article.

Queen surprises pub goers by dropping into her local in Edinburgh
Quote:
The Queen shocked regulars at one of Edinburgh's best-known pubs by dropping in for a bite to eat after a day at the races, it has emerged.

She visited The Sheep Heid Inn on Friday night after giving staff an hour’s notice of her impending visit.

The small royal party is understood to have taken a window seat and to have ordered two portions of lamb rump, one sea bass fillet, a martini and a half bottle of white wine.

Main meals are advertised at around 16.50 on the pub's regular menu but it is not known which of the dishes the Queen ordered.

One member of staff said they had been “sworn to secrecy”, adding: “I have no idea how her visit got out there.” Staff were also ordered to delete any photographs they had taken during the visit.

The Queen made the secret visit to Scotland’s oldest bar, according to the Edinburgh Evening News, during her stay at nearby Holyrood Palace, her official residence north of the border.

One startled customer revealed their astonishment in a TripAdvisor review. RosC17 wrote: "Absolutely amazed when Her Majesty the Queen arrived for dinner with friends and sat at the table next to us!

"What a lovely lady. Security guys everywhere but so unobtrusive that you hardly noticed them.

"What an honour for your excellent front of house and kitchen teams. We have enjoyed many visits to the Sheep Heid Inn, but this was particularly memorable, Five stars plus a gold star!”

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents