The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The sore on The Queen's right leg don't appear to be healing all that well. I know others thought it was just a bruise before-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...4022406106.jpg

I think it's a bad cut.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The sore on The Queen's right leg don't appear to be healing all that well. I know others thought it was just a bruise before-

I think it's a bad cut.
I've noticed that too.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:

I think it's a bad cut.
I've noticed this too - ulcers or sores on this part of the leg are common in older people, but are notoriously slow to heal. A large part of the treatment is rest and elevation of the affected leg, which is proving difficult for this hard-working and active 90-year old!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II spotted horse riding at 90-years-old | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
HM is truly an amazing woman. I wish I had her strength and stamina because most days I feel like my get up and go went.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Heir Apparent

As long as she can get on a horse, even with aid, she will continue to ride. Horses and dogs, her 2 great passions and 2 escapes from duties and life. A passion I love she has shared with her kids and now grandchildren.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Edinburgh's 95th birthday: Prince Philip's life in pictures | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Rare Footage of Queen Elizabeth II Meeting Marilyn Monroe | Vanity Fair
Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Royal Highness

Marilyn Monroe meets the Queen in 1956 | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
They were born in the same year and were icons on the world stage - albeit in very different ways.

And now footage showing the moment that glamorous young Queen Elizabeth met the biggest Hollywood star of the day, Marilyn Monroe, in 1956 has emerged.

Marilyn Monroe was in London for the premiere of her then husband Arthur Miller's film The Battle of the River Plate on 29 October 1956.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 AM
Courtier

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Quote:
PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.

Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:05 AM
Heir Apparent

A Year in the Life of Queen Elizabeth, As Told by One of Her Private S | Vanity Fair

Loch ness monster was nearly named after the Queen
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ter-the-queen/
Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Amanda was so quick to attack William and Harry that she told a roaring falsehood.

Quote:
In fact, it turns out that William, Kate and their adorable children, George and Charlotte, were attending the Norfolk Horse Trials on Tuesday, at a stately pile near their home — and we were treated to happy family snaps to prove it.
Except that the horse trials in question ran Thursday to Sunday (Houghton International – Box Office | Musketeer Event Management), so William couldn't have been "skipping" the Jutland event to go to the trials. It's worth noting that in the article about their outing to the horse trials, the Fail says the pictures were taken on Saturday.

One of the reasons I generally cannot take so much of the criticism of the BRF seriously is the brazen willingness to misrepresent facts that I see far too often amongst the critics.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

That is such a nice article! I enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.
Given that by the time she wrote the article the CC was up I am sure that she could have read that both Charles and Andrew were actually overseas on the day in question.

Quote:
Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
She was going to attend anyway - so no additional cost.

The Duke of Kent was at the ceremony in Germany in his position with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philip 'still thinks he's 55' says the Duke of Edinburgh's grandson - Mirror Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen (and her corgis) helped this surgeon survive the trauma of Syria's war | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
A courageous war surgeon reveals today how the Queen calmed him when he suffered a terrifying flashback to the horrors of the Syrian conflict – with the aid of her corgis.

David Nott was at a private lunch at Buckingham Palace just ten days after returning from Aleppo when he was hit by the post-traumatic incident, triggered when Her Majesty asked about his work.

The surgeon couldn't bring himself to answer, but says the Queen instinctively sensed something was wrong, and called for her corgis to help take his mind off the atrocities he had witnessed.

And he tells today's edition of Radio 4's Desert Island Discs that the dogs had a therapeutic effect.

'I was coping [in Syria] with children that were really badly damaged, and she must have detected something significant,' he recalls.

'I didn't know what to say. It wasn't that I didn't want to speak to her – I just couldn't. I just could not say anything.

'She picked all this up and said, 'Well, shall I help you?' I thought, 'How on earth can the Queen help me?' '

'All of a sudden the courtiers brought the corgis, and the corgis went underneath the table.'

Mr Nott, who has saved lives in conflicts since Bosnia in 1993, says the Queen then got a tin of biscuits and gave one to him, saying: 'OK, why don't you feed the dogs?'

'And so for 20 minutes during this lunch the Queen and I fed the dogs. She did it because she knew that I was so seriously traumatised. You know the humanity of what she was doing was unbelievable.'

Asked by the show's host Kirsty Young if the dogs had helped, Mr Nott says: 'Very much so. Stroking the animals, touching dogs, feeding them… She talked about her dogs and how many she had. She was wonderful and I will never forget it.'
I've read and heard so many of these wonderful examples from both people who have met her and her current and former staffers showing how kind and caring this amazing lady is.

No other heads of state or people are like our beloved Queen and I am proud that she's my monarch.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Nobility

Such a lovely story, HM is truly a wonderful example.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

More about this amazing story:

Hear David Nott talk about it in this video:
Surgeon David Nott recalls how Queen's corgis helped him - BBC News
Quote:
A war surgeon has told how the Queen helped him overcome trauma by allowing him to pet her corgis, days after he returned from Syria.
The healing effect of the Queen revealed by a doctor – Royal Central
Quote:
Over the years, Her Majesty the Queen never ceased to amaze us with her compassionate side that, although rarely shown in public, continues to be related by those who had a direct experience of that empathy.

Dr Nott acknowledged that the experience massively helped him overcome his trauma, adding that he will never forget how warm and wonderful the Queen was.
As I wrote in my above post: I've read and heard so many of these wonderful examples from both people who have met her and her current and former staffers showing how kind and caring this amazing lady is.

This is a lady who is still friends and meets with her former daughter-in-law Sarah Ferguson despite all the scandals and craziness. And as Sarah said in 2011: The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. When a former daughter-in-law says this about you, then you must know that you've done something right.

No other heads of state or people are like our beloved Queen and I am proud that she's my monarch. And as my grandfather says: No other country in the world has got what we have!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Such a heartwarming story about the Queen. It doesn't surprise me she handled it in the way that she did because actions so often speak louder than words. After all these years, the Queen is very wise and has a unique compassion that she shows in a considered and careful way. Rather than talk through David Notts flashback with him (which I think only a professional could really do because during moments like this it really is impossible to know why to say) she used instinct and tact to make him feel more comfortable and relaxed.

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents