The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Royal Highness

Our Queen returned the £50 but kept the Bentley says EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
When the Queen became our longest-reigning monarch earlier this month her lady-in-waiting, Lady Elton, returned £50 to a Romford loyalist explaining: ‘As Her Majesty cannot accept presents of a financial nature I am returning the note to you with this letter and I am to tell you your kind gesture is greatly appreciated.’ Her Majesty hasn’t returned another gift. It’s a 4x4 Bentley worth £162,000.
These are two completely different things. I know I've said this several times before, but this so called journalist irritates me more and more.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

From what I understood, the queen cannot accept actual money. The Bentley was not cash.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
From what I understood, the queen cannot accept actual money. The Bentley was not cash.
That's the Bentley that was talked about recently that was being given to the Queen from a company in Germany right?

If so, it probably has been added to the official gifts list received by the monarch like beautiful jewels from the Mid East and such and the new coach that I believe came from Australia for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It will be well used, I hope, by HM and most likely will still be in use when Charles becomes monarch.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That's the Bentley that was talked about recently that was being given to the Queen from a company in Germany right?

If so, it probably has been added to the official gifts list received by the monarch like beautiful jewels from the Mid East and such and the new coach that I believe came from Australia for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It will be well used, I hope, by HM and most likely will still be in use when Charles becomes monarch.
I think so. And that car was a gift, not actual money, so the article seems to complain out of nothing!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

IF this story is true, it is not a personal gift to the Queen. IT is for official use and thereby she will not have to spend "taxpayers money" on purchasing a new vehicle. DM should be pleased.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-15-2015, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...hRepublic.aspx
Quote:
The Queen's message to the President of the Turkish Republic

I offer my sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the Turkish people at this time. I, along with people across the world, have been shocked and saddened by Saturday's attack in Ankara and my thoughts are with all those affected by these terrible events.

ELIZABETH R
Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Frustrated American asks the Queen to take back USA - Telegraph

The Special Relationship: Frustrated American writes to the Queen asking her to take back the USA because of Republican presidential candidates and is astonished to receive a reply from Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Royal mail: What the Queen wrote back to frustrated American who asked her to take back the USA because of dire Republican presidential candidates

Buckingham Palace tells the man the Queen cannot take the USA back

A picture of the funny letter, written on Palace stationery, is posted online

The posts goes viral and gains more than two million views on Reddit

A frustrated American wrote to the Queen and asked her to take back the USA after becoming fed up with the behaviour of the republican presidential candidates - and he got a royal reply.

Presidential wannabees such as Donald Trump have been stuck firmly in the headlines recently as they try and talk their way into American hearts, not to mention insult each other while they do it.

Enough was enough for one Anglophile and he fired off a pleading letter to Her Royal Highness.

While he may not have got the answer he was looking for, it showed that Buckingham Palace had a sense of humour.

The letter reads: 'I have been asked to write in response to your recent letter to The Queen in which you express your views about the American government.

'Whilst your views have been noted, you will appreciate, I am sure, that there can be no question of The Queen intervening in the affairs of another Sovereign state.'

The letter was posted on Reddit by user no-soy-de-escocia, with the caption: 'Frustrated with the current field of presidential candidates (particularly on the GOP side), my Anglophile friend wrote a trolling letter to the Queen, asking her to take the US back. To our shock, they actually dignified him with a response.'

It has since gone on to gain 2.4 million views and Reddit users found it just as amusing.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5008248704.jpg

As the article says, it showed that the Palace has a sense of humour.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh my, that was very hilarious to read! Thank you royal norway! It still amazes me how the palace manages to keep neutral but humourous and that's the proof they respond to everyone!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Oh my, that was very hilarious to read! Thank you royal norway! It still amazes me how the palace manages to keep neutral but humourous and that's the proof they respond to everyone!
Yes, I found it hilarious too!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, I found it hilarious too!
I don't know how the coped with the laughter!
Old 10-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Majesty

This is all too funny, cute, hilarious and most of all, was my best laugh of the day. It shows me too that all letters to the Queen are read and for the most part, responded to with warmth, tact and respect.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

THE Queen rolled back the years this morning as she was spotted enjoying the mild Halloween weather with a morning ride around her Windsor estate-
Queen relaxes after hectic visit of Chinese premier with serene ride around Windsor Castle | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness

Our Queen is just amazing! Yes she has knee/back problems and trouble with stairs, but she is a very fit 89 year old. She is still very quick on her feet as we saw a few days ago when she was with Camilla and when she held an audience with the Prime Minister of New Zealand.

The Queen dons jodhpurs on her beloved Fell pony through autumn fog | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Queen may be just a year away from celebrating her 90th but that doesn't stop her enjoying a ride on her favourite Fell ponies - without wearing a hard hat.

Her Majesty, 89, was seen out on a hack riding her favourite pony Carltonlima Emma, riding along the river bank in Windsor with a groom.

And the royal, who is uniformly seen in public in skirts and dresses, donned a pair of jodhpurs for the outing - although she wore her signature silk scarf tied under the chin rather than a helmet.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6478678250.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6478678149.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6478678197.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6478678218.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6478678167.jpg
Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow, that's really a beautiful image to see!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The day the Duke of Edinburgh goosed me, by DEBBIE REYNOLDS | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 AM
Royal Highness

Armed officers to patrol streets when Queen opens Birmingham New Street Station in wake of Paris terror attacks | Central - ITV News
Quote:
Armed officers are to carry out high visibility patrols tomorrow when the Queen officially opens Birmingham New Street Station.

Security has been reviewed for the royal visit in the wake of the Paris terror attacks, where 129 people were killed in a series of coordinated shootings and explosions across the French capital.
The Queen in Birmingham: Ring of steel to be thrown around city centre - Birmingham Mail
Quote:
A ring of steel will be thrown around Birmingham as the Queen visits Birmingham to officially open the revamped New Street station.

Police stressed there was no specific new threat around her engagements on Thursday in the wake of the Paris attacks.

But extra officers will carry out high-visibility patrols at New Street and the surrounding area, while armed police will be on duty in the city centre.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Courtier

I saw this posted on a friend's Facebook page, Young family stunned as impatient Queen caught driving on the grass to get past them - Mirror Online.

I'm pretty sure I would not have had nice words for the driver until I saw who it was.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Majesty

I remember when this happened. I have doubts though that the Queen was impatient and didn't want to wait for them to get out of her way but more inclined to think that HM just didn't want to bother them or make them move for her so she just drove around them quietly. She must not have been going very fast at all if the couple were able to peer into the car and recognize that it was the Queen at the wheel.

Maybe its just me but I don't care for articles that go out of their way to put HM in a bad light or insinuate something that might not be true.
― John Lennon
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I remember when this happened. I have doubts though that the Queen was impatient and didn't want to wait for them to get out of her way but more inclined to think that HM just didn't want to bother them or make them move for her so she just drove around them quietly. She must not have been going very fast at all if the couple were able to peer into the car and recognize that it was the Queen at the wheel.

Maybe its just me but I don't care for articles that go out of their way to put HM in a bad light or insinuate something that might not be true.
Did not see the date of the article, thought it was recent.

I get what you mean about HM not being impatient. I know if I saw a car coming down a road cars aren't supposed to be on (unless you are HM) I'd be thinking some very bad things about the driver, until I saw who it was.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 AM
Royal Highness

I remember this too. It was the day after the Nazi salute controversy, but they said the Queen seemed cheerful and both smiled and waved at them.

Quote:
She told the Daily Mail: "We didn’t actually have time to get out of the way as we were in a world of our own so she had to swerve around us,’

"I just turned to Toby and said 'Oh my god, it’s the Queen'.

"He was as shocked and surprised as I was. I pointed at the car and she just smiled at us and waved."

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents