The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
No doubt that they are plans in place. They even rehearsed the Queen's funeral when they were doing the rehearsals for the Royal Wedding of W&K. I don't believe the Frogmore burial. Where is Philip is buried the Queen will also be buried with him. The more likely place is the George VI memorial chapel in St George's Chapel Windsor. That is where her parents and sister are.

Frogmore is more for overflow of the extended family. The only monarch buried there is Edward VIII.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

And Queen Victoria of course.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria and Albert are buried in a their own elaborate mausoleum not in the royal burial grounds like the Duke of Windsor with just a headstone.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article doesn't say he'd be buried in the Royal Burial Grounds, just that he'd be buried at Frogmore. For all we know there is plans to build another mausoleum there.

That said, I do agree with your general idea - Frogmore seems an unlikely burial ground for the Duke. St. George's Chapel, with the Queen's parents and sister, seem a more likely place. I believe St. George's was where the Duke's mother was initially buried as well.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Courtier

Wasn't Princess Margaret cremated because of limited space in that area? It could be possible that a new crypt could be built to handle HM, the Duke and all of the Windsors.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Courtier

It is well known that rehersals are routinely held for Royal funerals, usually in the early hours of the morning in London. They are allegedly code named after Bridges. After The Queen Mothers funeral some of her floral tributes were left outside Westminster Abbey for the public to view and they were interesting. Poor old D.O.E, here we are discussing his funeral and he is going to bed hoping to wake up and go with 'cabbage' on official duties tomorrow:(
Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Wasn't Princess Margaret cremated because of limited space in that area? It could be possible that a new crypt could be built to handle HM, the Duke and all of the Windsors.

Yes Margaret was cremated to be with her parents. There are 4 spots left in the chapel area where George VI and Queen Mum are. The Royal vault under St George's is full of Georgian Royals. I don't know if there is room to build a new chapel area bury future Kings and Queens. Probably not enough area to bury the non monarch royals. They would most likely go to the Royal burial grounds.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Yes Margaret was cremated to be with her parents. There are 4 spots left in the chapel area where George VI and Queen Mum are. The Royal vault under St George's is full of Georgian Royals. I don't know if there is room to build a new chapel area bury future Kings and Queens. Probably not enough area to bury the non monarch royals. They would most likely go to the Royal burial grounds.
From looking around, this is also the information that I mostly saw. The other 4 burial sites most likely are slated for HM and the DoE and Charles and Camilla.

Of course we won't know anything for sure until the time comes and there always can be changes in plans.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps future royals will be cremated and will therefore require much less room. I'm sure some land will be found, perhaps near the mausoleum for the Duchess of Kent.

It's not compulsory for every royal to be buried in royal burial grounds or within the precincts of royal chapels, is it? I believe one or two of Victoria's uncles were buried at cemeteries like Kensal Green.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:36 AM
Courtier

Anyone know if the mausoleum for QV and PA was designed and built to only store the two of them, or is there room to store others? It is huge for just two people.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe there is room in the Royal burial grounds but not in St George's for all the royals. The Royal burial grounds aren't open to the public and Victoria and Albert's mausoleum is only open a couple of days a year.

St George's is open year round.

There is only V&A in their mausoleum and I think that is by design. Most of their children are buried in the Royal burial grounds.

There is going to a priority for Kings and Queens to have whatever space is left in St George's than say the Duke of Kent or Prince Andrew. Switching to cremation would save room but that a personal decision for the Royal in question.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She was guest of honour at the opening ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympics and the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but the Queen – Britain’s longest reigning monarch – will not be attending the opening ceremony and first match of the Rugby World Cup.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry, will be at Twickenham for England’s game against Fiji a week on Friday, with an announcement expected on Thursday from Kensington Palace. But the Queen will not be cutting short her annual holiday in Balmoral for the start of the latest major sporting event hosted in Britain.

As patron of the Rugby Football Union, the Queen has an open invitation to attend any international at Twickenham and it is understood that a decision has yet to be taken whether she will be present for the World Cup final on Oct 31.

Prince Harry, as RFU vice‑patron, will represent his grandmother for the opening ceremony, along with the Duke and Duchess, and is likely to attend several games.
Read more: Rugby World Cup 2015: Queen will not attend showpiece - Telegraph
Old 09-10-2015, 02:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It's not compulsory for every royal to be buried in royal burial grounds or within the precincts of royal chapels, is it? I believe one or two of Victoria's uncles were buried at cemeteries like Kensal Green.
Queen Victoria's uncles were only buried at Kensal Green, etc. because they wished to be buried with their "unequal" wives - who weren't welcome in Royal ground.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
14 SEPTEMBER 2015

A six-year-old schoolgirl who invited the Queen to her birthday party has received a sweet reply from the royal. Little Melissa Poll sent a card to the Queen congratulating her on becoming the longest-reigning British monarch – and also sharing her disappointment that she was unable to go inside Buckingham Palace on a recent family trip there. She then invited her to her birthday party, taking place later this month.

Within a few days of posting the letter to Buckingham Palace, Melissa received a response from the Queen's lady-in-waiting, reports the Manchester Evening News.
Written on official headed paper from Balmoral Castle, it reads: "Dear Melissa, The Queen wishes me to write and thank you for your letter in which you tell Her Majesty about your disappointment at not being able to tour the State apartments at Buckingham Palace.

"Her Majesty was sorry to hear that you and your grandmother tried twice to see inside the Palace and that, for various reasons, you were unlucky. I enclose some information leaflets which you make like to have, and hope that you will visit the Summer Opening next year.

"Although unable to come to your birthday party, the Queen greatly appreciated your kind thought for her, and I hope you have a lovely time with your family and friends on 27th September
Read more: The Queen responds to schoolgirl's party invite - hellomagazine.com
Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Article in the Sunday Times about where the Queen wants to live when and if Prince Philip dies before her.

Balmoral beckons for the Queen’s final years | The Sunday Times

Summary:

Balmoral beckons for the Queen’s final years

Roya Nikkhah Published: 27 September 2015

IT IS the place she is said to feel most at home, a refuge from the demands of being the reigning monarch. Now it has emerged that Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire may become the Queen’s second home in the future.

The Queen, who will be 90 next year, is understood to have expressed her desire to spend considerably more time at her retreat in the Scottish Highlands in the event of the Duke of Edinburgh’s death.

She currently spends her two-month summer break at Balmoral with her family every year. But it is believed that plans have been explored for her to split her time between there and Buckingham Palace if and when she is on her own.

There is no suggestion that this is imminent....However distant a prospect it may be, plans for what the Queen will do when he is no longer there are being actively, if discreetly, discussed.

However distant a prospect it may be, plans for what the Queen will do when he is no longer there are being actively, if discreetly, discussed.

Although the expectation is that she would spend a lot more time at Balmoral and have fewer official engagements, the Queen would continue to act as head of state.

A source said: “There is a feeling that if the Duke of Edinburgh passed away her preference would be to spend more time in Scotland. The discussion has been that if he goes before her, that would be her wish.

“She loves Scotland, it has always been a great comfort to her, where she is happiest and most relaxed.

“She’s a different person up there. At Balmoral she feels she doesn’t have to be a caricature of a queen. Everyone will play it by ear but the feeling is the Scottish plan will be what she wants to do.”

The Queen is believed to feel that “location is immaterial” and that she can function just as effectively as a monarch at Balmoral as she does at Buckingham Palace.

Investitures at Buckingham Palace are increasingly carried out by the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Princess Royal.

Prince Charles has also significantly increased his official overseas visits as the Queen and the duke no longer travel long-haul.

Buckingham Palace has declined to comment.

End

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course, there are not sources or proofs, and this could all be speculations, but I actually think that would be a very realistic scenario. I've always wondered what Her Majesty would do in case Prince Philip passed away, and I my first thought is that the queen would lead a much more secluded life and not only for her age.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Speculation of this sort is in poor taste, but to be expected from a once respected newspaper now owned by Rupert Murdoch...
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

There seems to be a lot of "feeling" in the article without much substance. I suppose it's a possibility for the Queen to spend more time in Balmoral in future years, but she has a strict routine and habits and at the moment, I can't imagine her changing them.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Balmoral is pretty remote. It would get very cold and snowy in winter. Not ideal conditions for almost 90 year old woman. Remember when Philip got sick here and the ambulance ride was like a hour because the rescue helicopter couldn't make due to the winds.

May she goes up early in July but I can't see full time in Scotland. Can see more time at Windsor or Sandringham where you are out of London but still close to things like hospitals.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't think the climate of Balmoral would be that much of a problem for the Queen. In fact, I think she'd revel in it. I just finished reading Margaret Rhodes' "The Final Curtsey" and one remarkable statement came to my recollection with the conversations about the Queen and more time at Balmoral. Margaret said something to the effect that if she was coming down with a cold or an ailment, the best possible therapy would be a good brisk walk. She also said that she was raised to believe that staying indoors all the time was bordering on being lazy and it was rare to find her indoors all day long.

I can see HM spending more time than she does now at Balmoral easily. In fact, I think she most likely would retreat there for a mourning period should the DoE pass on but she's far to active and far to dedicated and her Scottish stoicism will goad her back into the full swing of doing what she does best. Never, for a minute, would she consider (mourning or not) slacking in her duties and responsibilities as monarch.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

I think the Queen wouldn't mind if Balmoral is the most sensible or practical option or not but rather to her its the place she feels most relaxed and really 'her'. Its an hour drive from Balmoral to Aberdeen, possibly less with outriders, she could easily spend more time at Balmoral and return every few weeks to London and BP to do investitures etc. She can receive correspondence at Balmoral and used phones, computers, video conferencing etc to be in touch with staff, ministers, etc if needed.

That being said Sandringham or Windsor or even BP (though unlikely) could just as easily be her preference, I can't imagine HM talking so openly about it that a reporter would be able to find out.

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents