The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Royal Highness

I should perhaps have posted this in the household thread, but since I focus on what he says about The Queen, I think it suits better here.

Interview: etiquette with The Royal Butler

Quote:
She is a lovely and kind, caring lady who will put you at ease. She is wonderful at this, as I have experienced over the years, and on a few occasions, I’ve been the only person in the room with her. I must say she has a lovely sense of humour which I have been lucky enough to share with her personally.
This is one of many things I love about The Queen.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I should perhaps have posted this in the household thread, but since I focus on what he says about The Queen, I think it suits better here.

Interview: etiquette with The Royal Butler

This is one of many things I love about The Queen.
An interesting interview - maybe we should all practice these etiquette on Christmas Day!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Queen sends condolences to Glasgow crash victims

Quote:
Prince Philip and I were saddened by the news of the tragic accident in Glasgow yesterday.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who have lost loved ones and to those who have been injured.

This sad event is made even more difficult as it comes at Christmas time. I send my condolences to all the people of Glasgow.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Royal Highness

Queen's Christmas message to veterans - Telegraph

Quote:
She wrote: "Please convey my warm thanks to the chairman and trustees of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity for their message of loyal greetings sent on the occasion of the launch of their collaborative Christmas campaign to raise awareness of the difficulties faced by servicemen and servicewomen in returning to civilian life.

"This year we commemorate the sacrifices made by members of the armed services 100 years ago.
"We owe a great debt of gratitude to past and present servicemen and servicewomen who put their lives in jeopardy to keep us safe and it is clear that the work of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity is as important today as it has ever been.

"As your patron, I thank you for your kind message and send my very best wishes."
Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Courtier

NBC News has posted The Queen Christmas Message on it website.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Royal Highness

A distinguished commentator's brilliant analysis of what the New Year has in store: Our longest serving monarch? Meltdown for the ruling class? Historian and author SIR ROY STRONG says: Roll on, 2015! | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Next year sees a milestone in British history. On September 9, our present monarch will have reigned longer than her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, making her the longest serving in our history.
Like Victoria, Elizabeth II has come in old age to be a hugely venerated figure. The majority of the population cannot remember a time without her. Indeed, most Britons will have been born during her reign.
And yet there remains the fact that we are at the close of the second Elizabethan age.
Ten reasons 2015 is already a right royal year in the making

Quote:
1. Long to reign over us
Let’s face it, nothing can close to matching the huge historical moment that will occur as the clock strikes midnight and September 10th 2015 dawns. For on that day, the Queen will become our longest reigning monarch as her personal rule overtakes that of the current record holder, Queen Victoria.
At the moment, there are no special plans to mark this special day. But as excitement grows ahead of the event that might all change. No doubt people will gather at Buckingham Palace as the clock ticks down and Victoria fades into history to be replaced by her great, great granddaughter. The year of 2015 will be remembered for many royal events but the crowning moment will surely be the moment Elizabeth II makes history.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Jenny Hjul: Queen is long to reign over us | Herald Scotland
Quote:
Whatever the highs and lows endured by our political rulers over the past 12 months, it has been an excellent year for the Queen.

She may not have enjoyed the flag-waving adulation of her diamond jubilee in 2012, and she may be travelling a little less these days, but there is no doubt she has seen out 2014 triumphantly.

She has just been voted our most moral leader, beating the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Prime Minister, the rest of her family and the Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai in a YouGov poll.

More revealingly, she was the biggest television ratings success over Christmas, with her annual message to the nation attracting 7.8 million viewers, more even than the Irish comedy Mrs Brown's Boys and the evergreen EastEnders.

An 88-year-old great grandmother mulling over Christ as a "role model of forgiveness" may not be obvious box office, but the Queen, alone among our public figures, can get away with mixing God and politics. She can get away with almost anything.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

New portrait of The Queen in the works

Quote:
Speaking of painting Her Majesty, Mr Stone said “It’s an incredible honour to be invited to paint her.”

“I’ve started work and it will be completed later this year. It will be a very large oil painting and The Queen will look very dignified.”

There is added pressure for Mr Stone’s portrait to be exemplary as The Queen has previously told him that she has a dislike to some portraits that are taken of her. She reportedly told him that “one would wish to consign some of them to the basement”.
The portrait will be completed towards the end of the year.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen has sent this message to the people of South Australia and Victoria:

Prince Philip and I send our sincere thanks and appreciation to the hundreds of firefighters and community volunteers who have risked their lives to contain the bushfires in South Australia and Victoria.
Our thoughts are with the families who have lost their homes and personal possessions in the fires.
I commend the courage and fortitude of the men and women who continue to assist with the emergency operations and those who are providing support to the people who are directly affected.

Elizabeth R.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

Rankin: 'I see the person, not the celebrity' - Telegraph

Quote:
The moment Rankin glimpsed the Queen laughing with one of her staff, he knew that was the shot he wanted. “I watched her walk down this long corridor at Buckingham Palace with a guy who must have been at least 6ft. She’s tiny, and she was looking up at him, smiling and chatting, and I thought, 'You’re exactly what I want you to be. You’re a real person’. ”
But the photographer, who shot Her Majesty back in 2002 as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, had only five minutes, and was desperate to make her laugh again. “So I started saying 'Ma’am’, like 'jam’. 'Ma’am, you have to smile, please’ – I was like Austin Powers. And she just laughed at me. She was really funny, making a lot of jokes – very dry. Photography is all about collaboration – and she gave it to me.”
The end result is the Queen grinning in front of the Union flag. “She wrote back to me, having seen the shot, saying, 'I love the stitching on the flag’. That’s the Queen’s way of not having an opinion. That’s classy. It’s like saying, 'I like the photograph, I’m just not commenting on myself’.
“David Bailey took a photograph of her last year and he made her laugh as well,” he adds. “His is better than mine. I was quite young when I took mine. He’s a bit nearer her age. His is so brilliant. But then, I made her laugh first!”
Old 01-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen gets ?technical? with her new Royal Warrant
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Queen becomes world's oldest monarch following death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - Telegraph
Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth II once terrorized King Abdullah ā€” by driving him around - Vox
Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

In today's Australia Day Honours, the Duke of Edinburgh was made a Knight of the Order of Australia (AK) (he became a Companion in 1988), along with former Defence Force chief Angus Houston. It's a pity the official citation does not mention why the Duke of Edinburgh received the honour (in over 60 years the Duke has been involved with many Australian projects and organisations, and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award is very active here.) There are a lot of snide comments flying around about the AK. I don't think Knights and Dames of the Order of Australia have a chance of general acceptance while they are so closely associated with the current PM. Nominations to all other divisions of the Order of Australia are assessed by the Council of the Order of Australia, which then makes its recommendations to the Governor-General. Knights and Dames, however, are chosen by the Prime Minister who makes his recommendations directly to the Queen. The opposition leader has said he will recommend they are removed (again) from the Order of Australia if he becomes PM. It's all a bit undignified for the order.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Royal Highness

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan: I want to be like Queen of UK - Telegraph

Don't make me laugh.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Royal Highness

It has long been known that the Queen no longer replaces the corgis who dies. I've heard that she is worried about what will happen to them when she dies.

End of 70-year love affair with Corgis: Queen against introducing any new dogs to Buckingham Palace as she is worried about tripping over them and injuring herself | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
'Her main fear is that if she fell and broke her arm or even a leg she would not be able to perform her duties for many weeks if not months, and that would upset her greatly.'
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is only two or three of them left now. No doubt Charles will still support them - they will be 'old' dogs by then anyway.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Royal Highness

EXCLUSIVE: Queen avoid celebrations as she breaks Victoriaā€™s record | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Truly it is nice that Queen Elizabeth does not want any fuss made out of respect for Queen Victoria.
It might be like telling the people: "Respect my wishes. That will be considered an honorable gesture on your part."
Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Truly it is nice that Queen Elizabeth does not want any fuss made out of respect for Queen Victoria.
It might be like telling the people: "Respect my wishes. That will be considered an honorable gesture on your part."
I think so too. It underlines the fact that there is nothing about being the monarch that is self gratifying to HM. Its not about accolades or being iconic or personal bests but a deep rooted sense of duty, service and loyalty to her country and its people.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents