The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Re: Ms. Bond see: Royal reporter tells of 'frosty' royals | Mail Online

Apparently, she believes 14 years with the BBC earns her the right to interrupt the Queen's train of thought.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's see...She interrupted HM in mid conversation because Ms Bond thought she was saving The Queen from something boring, climbed a ladder to play Peeping Tom on the Family during what sounds like a private part of The Queen Mum's Birthday Celebrations and she can't understand why the BRF are frosty w/her, do I have that right?

What a stupid pretentious idiot!! IMO, they've treated her exactly how she deserves to be treated.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

I actually like Jennie Bond as a personality and i think she was a half decent royal reporter. Her book about her work was IMO a good readand quite insightful about how the reporters (mainly tv reporters) around the royal family work. However as a mainly tv correspondent who reported on what washappening I don't think she would be that good at writing a book about the Queen as it would need a level of research she's never have had to do as a tv reporter.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

My favourite books about The Queen is Young Elizabeth: The Making Of Our Queen by Kate Williams, Our Queen by Robert Hardman and Queen Elizabeth II Her Life in Our Times by Sarah Bradford, there are also many souvenir books with wonderful pictures.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Shameful!

DISGRACE: Argentinian protesters burn effigy of The Queen

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...+World+Feed%29
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Shameful!

DISGRACE: Argentinian protesters burn effigy of The Queen

DISGRACE: Argentinian protesters burn effigy of The Queen | World | News | Daily Express
Did HM actually order the mission on the Falklands or did the PM tell they were going to do it and it was really the PM who ordered the mission?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post

Did HM actually order the mission on the Falklands or did the PM tell they were going to do it and it was really the PM who ordered the mission?
Do you mean in regards to the Falkland Wars?

The Argentinians started that by invading the islands. They put it as a re-occupation if their territory, while the British saw it as an invasion of a British dependent territory. I'm pretty sure HM doesn't have the power to order a military strike, that was all the government.

It should be noted that in the Falklands the vast majority (at least of the voting population) wants to remain under British rule; a recent referendum came back with 99.8% of the vote for the British.

As for Anne's trip to Argentina, it isn't as a representative of the monarchy but though her role as the president of the International Olympic Committee.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Do you mean in regards to the Falkland Wars?

The Argentinians started that by invading the islands. They put it as a re-occupation if their territory, while the British saw it as an invasion of a British dependent territory. I'm pretty sure HM doesn't have the power to order a military strike, that was all the government.

It should be noted that in the Falklands the vast majority (at least of the voting population) wants to remain under British rule; a recent referendum came back with 99.8% of the vote for the British.

As for Anne's trip to Argentina, it isn't as a representative of the monarchy but though her role as the president of the International Olympic Committee.
Thanks for the history lesson, Ish. I thought Argentina invaded the islands.

The heart of my post was about whether or not the monarch has the power to order a military operation as the protesters claim in the article BritishRoyalist posted. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post

Thanks for the history lesson, Ish. I thought Argentina invaded the islands.

The heart of my post was about whether or not the monarch has the power to order a military operation as the protesters claim in the article BritishRoyalist posted. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
You're welcome! The thing to remember is that the monarch is symbolic. While the government may be acting in her name, ultimately it is the government that is making the decisions.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

HM has not the power to order troops to march down the street let alone send them into battle. That decision was made by Mrs Thatcher as PM, with the support of the British public and the Falklanders. I have no doubt HM supported the decision but she had no real say in the matter. She certainly supported her sons participation in the battle though.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Audio:
When The Duke Flirted With The Queen- The Queen's Suite
In 1958, at an arts festival in Yorkshire, Duke Ellington was presented to Queen Elizabeth II. They tied up the reception line for a few minutes, exchanging royal pleasantries; our Duke politely flirted with Her Majesty. Soon afterward, maybe that very night, Ellington outlined the movements of The Queen's Suite. He recorded it with his orchestra the following year, sent it to Her Majesty, and declined to release it to the public in his lifetime. It's not clear whether Queen Elizabeth has listened to it-
NPR Media Player

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Audio:
When The Duke Flirted With The Queen- The Queen's Suite
In 1958, at an arts festival in Yorkshire, Duke Ellington was presented to Queen Elizabeth II. They tied up the reception line for a few minutes, exchanging royal pleasantries; our Duke politely flirted with Her Majesty. Soon afterward, maybe that very night, Ellington outlined the movements of The Queen's Suite. He recorded it with his orchestra the following year, sent it to Her Majesty, and declined to release it to the public in his lifetime. It's not clear whether Queen Elizabeth has listened to it-
NPR Media Player
Now that is what I call a tribute! It is one thing for an artist to memorialize someone and have that work publicized as a tribute (for example, Elton John's version of Candles in the Wind for the late Diana) and another thing to honor a person such as Duke Ellington did and keep the gift private.

He was a quite the gentleman and most likely bowled over by the charm and grace of HM.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it was a very nice private tribute to Her Majesty. I imagine she liked the idea of Duke Ellington coming up with this suite for her.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen appoints royal restorer and fine gold finisher to her service - See more at:
Queen appoints royal restorer and fine gold finisher to her service | Royal Central

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Majesty

There doesn't appear to be a photo thread of QEII, if there is feel free to move this post.

Here are three large and nice pics of QEII, based on (wait for it...) her favorite nail polish. - Which according to the article these pics come from is Essie's Ballet Slippers. Oddly enough only one of these pics actually show her nails - oh, well...

Anyway here you go: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/2...ain-royals.jpg

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/2...77-britain.jpg

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/x...ain-royals.jpg

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the second picture.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

Happy wedding anniversary to Her Majesty and Prince Philip, 66 years is quite an achievement. My parents celebrate 66 happy years tomorrow. Couples who spend this long together have a special bond. My parents go to bed and hold hands. So lovely seeing them interact together.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know that's the right thread but I can't find the one of general information! Maybe this question is trivial but: Can someone cleary explain why Prince Philip is Prince Consort and not King? Because I know that both Camilla and Catherine will be one day Queen Consort... I don't get it!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I don't know that's the right thread but I can't find the one of general information! Maybe this question is trivial but: Can someone cleary explain why Prince Philip is Prince Consort and not King? Because I know that both Camilla and Catherine will be one day Queen Consort... I don't get it!
Actually Philip isn't Prince Consort but rather HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh. The only time that the title Prince Consort was ever in use was when Queen Victoria was on the throne and Albert was Prince Consort.

Think about it like a deck of cards. A King always is higher than a Queen. When there is a Queen Regnant, giving her husband the title of King kind of infers a superiority over the monarch. Another very important factor is that in the UK, a woman generally takes her titles and styles from her husband. The husband never has taken his titles and styles from his wife.

When Philip married Princess Elizabeth, he was known as Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, RN. On his marriage, George VI created him The Duke of Edinburgh so for a while, HM was Princess Elizabeth, The Duchess of Edinburgh. When Elizabeth ascended the throne, she created Philip a Prince of the UK in his own right.

There is a wonderful extensive thread here that discusses all the ins and outs of British titles and styles and is a very good educational read I think.

Questions about British Styles and Titles
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Courtier

I made two Collages of HM Queen Elizabeth. The First Collage is of her 61 Years Reign with one photo from every decade of her reign and The Second Collage is of her life with one photo form every decade (1926, 1937, 1947, 1957, 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, 2007 and 2013)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collage.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	290663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fotor20131130.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	290664  

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents