Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Philip is retiring and will no longer Conduct public engagements after the autumn as per the Telefraph

Breaking - Prince Philip is retiring from public duties

248px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Philip_Duke_of_Edinburgh.svg_zpsxstwvq09.png

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-regarding-duke-edinburgh

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen.

Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.

The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.

Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
@BBCBreaking: Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, who is 95, to step down from royal duties this autumn - Buckingham Palace Duke of Edinburgh to retire from royal duties - BBC News

Duke of Edinburgh to retire from royal duties

Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, to retire from royal duties in the autumn, Buckingham Palace says
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
If you want to receive Breaking News alerts via email, or on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App then details on how to do so are available on this help page. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

Last edited:
Yes, Prince Philip is finally going into retirement this autumn. He will step down from public life and his patronages this autumn. Although he will appear at The Trooping of The Colour and other this from time to time.

I wasn't expecting such an announcement, but it is not surprising. The Duke has done exceptionally well, especially in recent years with advanced age and health issues. I suspect he will still attend important national events occasionally.

Prince Philip is 96 years old this June and there is a limit to what can be done in your late 90's. He has more than earned some retirement years, however long they may be.

May he enjoy his retirement. It's fully deserved.

Absolutely Understandable and expected !! It was already admirable that he was so active at this age!

"Prince Philip's retirement made news headlines around the world earlier this week, but his most devout followers have only just heard.
The people of the village of Younanen, on the island of Tanna Island off the coast of Vanuatu, were shocked to discover the man they worship as a god will stop attending public engagements.
The tribe first heard the news on Saturday - almost three days after it was originally announced. They pray to the Duke of Edinburgh as they believe he is the son of an ancestral local mountain god"

During the summer of 2000, in the run-up to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother’s 100th birthday, I asked the Duke of Edinburgh if he was hoping to reach 100.
‘Good God, no,’ he spluttered, ‘I can’t imagine anything worse. What a ghastly idea.’‘You might make it,’ I suggested, encouragingly.
‘No, thank you,’ he said firmly. ‘Bits are already dropping off.’
Seventeen years on, and a month away from his 96th birthday on June 10, Prince Philip still appears to be in one piece."

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Philip has been a wonderful support to the Queen in her official and private life for nearly 70 years. He can now relax a little and enjoy his retirement.

Last edited:
Thank you Prince Philip for everything you have done for the Queen, the UK and the Commonwealth.

Actually, I see this as a wonderful announcement. No one has served HM, The Queen over her long reign better than her "strength and stay" the Duke of Edinburgh.

I also think that at 96 years young, he deserves time to just be. To smell the roses, do the things he loves to do and let his engagements and duties and patronages pass on to the younger royals.

One thing that won't change though is his steadfast devotion to his wife and his monarch and his family.

Yes, absolutely understandable, he's 95!! And of course more than deserved!! Hope he has a few more years to enjoy as a retired man!!

He's not disappearing just yet.

The Queen and The Duke have an engagement today at St James Palace for the Order of Merit.

But why all the fuss about the retirement of a 95 year old man? Why not simply announce it but call all staff urgently? Philip always hated the fuss about him ....

Now that has got to be one of the most well-earned retirement in the world, bar none! We know he will still support his wife to the fullest. :flowers:

I'm guessing that HM felt the senior staff were entitled to know before the general public as it is probable he will spend a lot more time at Balmoral and Windsor.

Oh I have to say that this is a well earned and very deserved retirement. Although I can't help but feel a sense of sadness. Almost the the end of an era and a change from what has been the 'norm' for almost 70 years.

I know that His Royal Highness's many charities have benefited greatly from his patronage, none more so than The Duke of Edinburgh's Award which bears his name.

The question now is how is DoE's charity work going to be divided? There has been so much press about Will & Kate's approach to royal engagements and Andrew's desire to have Beatrice and Eugenie to become working royals, could that be a factor in splitting up work in the Firm?

Goodness he most certainly deserves it. Here's to a wonderful and relaxing retirement.

What I like about the way this was done is that the retirement announced will not begin until September of this year. This totally rules out that the DoE is suddenly retiring due to health concerns.

He'll be 96 when he does go into retirement. The man has 30 years on me and I'm already retired. I just hope he enjoys it as much as I do. :D

"Theresa May has offered the nation's 'deepest gratitude' to the Duke of Edinburgh as he announced his retirement from public duties.
The Prime Minister set aside the election battle to pay tribute to Prince Philip's 'steadfast support' for the Queen.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn paid his own tribute as he thanked the Duke for his 'service to the country'."

Theresa May offers the nation's 'deepest gratitude' | Daily Mail Online

He deserves a retirement, absolutely. But I'm baffled as to how this was handled.

Well deserved!
I do hope my government doesn't take him as an example when they debate again about raising the general retirement age

Was the staff really called to London in the middle of the night or was it a newspaper who started the fuss then? I find this a very dramatic way of communicating.

I guess at 95 he's allowed to retire ...lol

Now to see how they distribute his work out...Andrew and Edward to pick up their pace? Guessing the younger royals will for sure.

LaRae

Read more: Prince Philip: Seventy years as The Queen's 'rock' | Daily Mail Online
Seventy years as Her Majesty's 'rock': At the Queen's side since their fairtytale wedding, how a Greek-born prince has become one of the hardest working royals

The Duke of Edinburgh has been the Queen's steadfast companion for nearly 70 years.

Known for his no-nonsense approach and acerbic wit, Prince Philip is the longest-serving consort in British history and also the oldest serving partner of a reigning monarch.

The husband of one of the most famous women in the world, he is defined by his relationship to Elizabeth II and gave up a promising naval career to support his wife in her royal role.

While the Queen takes centre stage, Philip has always been one step behind, ready to lend a hand.

The Duke has had a profound effect on the development of the British monarchy and has been a moderniser of 'the Firm'.

Read more: How Prince Philip wooed Elizabeth - and a nation
He overcame family tragedy and personal difficulty to become a war hero - and also won the heart of the future Queen. Dynamic, driven, and prone to explosions of both ardour and anger, he was never cut out by temperament for a secondary role, but somehow Prince Philip transformed himself. Now, as the longest-serving royal consort in British history approaches 90, the final part of our exclusive extract from Philip Eade’s new book, Young Prince Philip: His Turbulent Early Life, tells how he wooed the young Elizabeth - and the nation, too.

After the war was over, Prince Philip remained in the Far East with his destroyer Whelp to collect and bring home prisoners of war, arriving back in Portsmouth on 17 January, 1946. A series of unexciting home postings had left him restless and disillusioned after the buzz of action. In a letter to Queen Elizabeth, he admitted he was “still not accustomed to the idea of peace, rather fed up with everything and feeling that there was not much to look forward to and rather grudgingly accepting the idea of going on in the peacetime navy.”

Back
Top Bottom