Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't know that Andrew is her 'favourite' son at all. There are reports to that effect but ... I have also heard that Edward is her 'favourite'.

Another option could be for Prince and Princess Michael to take on full time royal duties instead.

Why would anyone ask a couple in their mid-70s to take on a full-time job that they haven't done all their lives?

The three that have to increase their royal work load are William, Kate and Harry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone ask a couple in their mid-70s to take on a full-time job that they haven't done all their lives?

The three that have to increase their royal work load are William, Kate and Harry.

Exactly. And it's very clear that's what William and Kate are doing. Harry may still take a few years to be full time because he hasn't started a family yet and likely will need some time and space to do that- but he'll still do his bit.

Even if asked, could anyone seriously picture a couple in their seventies willing to suddenly pick up full time duties :ermm:

There are obvious additions that can, and honestly should be made, if Harry and the Cambridges can't pick up all the slack. And it's doubtful they can. The yorks already do it, it's a simple matter to add to the cc.

Prince Philip should continue to wear Naval, Army, Air Force uniforms in some special events, should he?

It's entirely possible, but I have noticed him wearing uniforms less in recent years. His normal outfit for a regimental event now seems to be a suit with medals, when years ago he would wear the regiment's uniform.

Prince Philip's career stats:
Total number of solo engagements - 22,191
Total number of solo overseas visits - 637 (Commonwealth countries - 229 visits to 67 countries / other countries 408 visits to 76 countries)
Total number of speeches given - 5,493
Total number of patronages - 785 organisations
Presentation of colours - 54
Number of service appointments - 32
Number of books authored - 14

https://twitter.com/MaxFosterCNN/status/860087892391198721

Äh, how many ribbons did he cut? :lol:
Impressive - well deserved Retirement!
BYe Bine

I was really posetively surprised by the enormose tribute/praise Prince Philip received from the British press yesterday. I have't seen anything like this since the tribute/praise the Queen received for the 80th birthday in 2006, the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, longest reigning monarch in 2015 and the 90th birthday 2016.
Just look at some of the many articles i posted yesterday.

I know I often criticize the British media, but they are very good at this. We never see anything like this in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

Does that mean I have nothing to complain about? No, it does not. The way the media behaved against William and Kate yesterday was (again) ridiculous and unacceptable.

More articles: (From the DF, I know, but this is mentioned in other newspapers too) Philip: The finest consort since Prince Albert | Daily Mail Online
The finest consort since Prince Albert: They both elevated young Queens to greatness. But here, ROBERT HARDMAN reveals that’s just one of the uncanny parallels between two royal titans

Duke of Edinburgh leaves London to stay with friends | Daily Mail Online
'You could hear a pin drop': The dramatic moment stunned Palace staff were told of Duke of Edinburgh's retirement during top-secret meeting - as Prince catches train out of London to stay with friends

MAIL COMMENT: Britain salutes Prince Philip after 70 years | Daily Mail Online
It was with his trademark wit, and in typically blunt terms, that the Duke of Edinburgh yesterday explained his reasons for retiring.

When a guest at St James’s Palace wished him well, he quipped: ‘Well I can’t stand up much longer!’

And it is one of the many reasons why he will be so sadly missed. After nearly seven decades of hard work, and selfless devotion to duty, to this country, and above all to the Queen, he will deservedly step back from the front line in the autumn with an extraordinary record of public service behind him.

Prince Philip cracked sell-by date joke before retiring | Daily Mail Online
The DF have this from the Times article I posted in post 112 (it's been mentioned in several other newspapers as well):
Prince Philip retired at 95 because he feared looking increasing frail in public and admitted to close friends in his typically frank style: 'I'm past my sell-by date'.

The Queen’s public schedule will continue as normal and her dedication to duty remained ‘undiminished’;

Senior royals including Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Andrew will undertake more duties with their mother in a new strategy dubbed ‘Team Windsor’; n Younger members of the Royal Family, including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, will be expected to ‘step up to the mark’;

Philip will remain as patron, president or member of the 785 organisations he has links to – for as long as he is wanted;

The duke quietly slipped out of London yesterday afternoon, catching a train from London’s Euston station to stay with friends in the North.

Aides say there will be ‘absolutely no change’ to the Queen’s schedule.
Sources say the monarch, who turned 91 last month, will continue to undertake solo public engagements. But Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and the Earl and Countess of Wessex will accompany her to more official events. Palace insiders are referring to the new set-up as ‘Team Windsor’.

A source said: ‘The Queen is well used to doing engagements on her own. Equally, however, there is quite a bit of recent precedent with her doing engagements with family members, who aren’t the Duke of Edinburgh, and you will see more of that. It is also fair to say you will see other members of the Royal Family supporting and reinforcing the Queen’s official work.

‘We are going to see a kind of Team Windsor supporting the Queen.’

Two of many articles from the Sun: (read these articles, much information from the Times)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/34859...to-avoid-his-frailty-being-exposed-in-public/
PRINCE Philip decided to retire from royal duties so his growing frailty would not be exposed in public, according to reports.

The Duke of Edinburgh, who turns 96 next month, received the Queen’s “full support” for his decision to step down from official engagements after 70 years of public service.

According to The Times, Philip has increasingly felt the strain and “lacked energy” after a busy run of engagements last year including the Queen’s 90th birthday.

He is said to have spent several months considering his future before telling the Queen of his decision over the Easter weekend at Windsor Castle.

She immediately gave him her full backing, the report says.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/34855...e-made-in-1947-forcing-wills-to-pick-up-pace/
THRONE ALONE Queen to carry on without Prince Philip to fulfil ‘life service’ vow she made in 1947 – forcing Wills to pick up pace
Her Majesty will continue her schedule of engagements without her husband at her side - as his retirement comes just as Prince William is set to become a full-time royal

THE Queen vowed to carry on alone yesterday, sticking with a 70-year promise to *dedicate her whole life to public service.

A royal aide said last night: “That commitment is as strong as ever. She renewed it in 2012 around the time of the Diamond Jubilee.”

We don't know that Andrew is her 'favourite' son at all. There are reports to that effect but ... I have also heard that Edward is her 'favourite'.

I've always heard that Andrew is her favorite, and she finds it hard to deny him anything.

He's a very well respected consort and these endless tributes to him is very well deserved. Let's give him his flowers now, while he's still here to see and smell them. Everyone wants the chance to say, thank you Prince Philip, for nearly 70 years of service. I'm sure these many tributes has touched him and his family since the announcement came down.

You've made a good point here Dman! Its not too often that a person is thanked, recognized and there is an outpouring of sheer love for the person he is until his funeral happens and by then, its too late for the person to know just how much he's appreciated.

The past day has really shown just how much in and of himself that HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh is so much more to the people than someone who has always been proverbially three steps behind his wife, The Queen. His work, his accomplishments and his famous wit have made him an unique British legend in his own right.

He's more than deserved his time to step aside from public duties and perhaps be able to focus on the things he really wants to do. I can't say that I expect him to slow down, that's not in Philip's character but I do hope that he's able to enjoy the respite that a retirement can bring.

The State Visit from Spain will possibly be one of the Duke's last major events before the summer holidays and autumn retirement.

You've made a good point here Dman! Its not too often that a person is thanked, recognized and there is an outpouring of sheer love for the person he is until his funeral happens and by then, its too late for the person to know just how much he's appreciated.

The past day has really shown just how much in and of himself that HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh is so much more to the people than someone who has always been proverbially three steps behind his wife, The Queen. His work, his accomplishments and his famous wit have made him an unique British legend in his own right.

He's more than deserved his time to step aside from public duties and perhaps be able to focus on the things he really wants to do. I can't say that I expect him to slow down, that's not in Philip's character but I do hope that he's able to enjoy the respite that a retirement can bring.

Yeah, this is how I was raised. I was taught the importance of showing some appreciation to your loved ones while they are here, because when they're gone it's too late.

Prince Philip has been the most loving, supportive and constant partner to The Queen for nearly 70 years and throughout those years he has achieved so much personally. Of course he'll never admit his personal accomplishments, but the evidence is there for all to see.

His retirement is well deserved and I'm impressed that he's willing to be honest and announce he's stepping down in the fall. At some point it's okay to say I've done my bit and now I want to relax. That's not easy for the British royals to admit.

And in addition to all these endless articles with tributes to him (which I've only posted a few of), he got almost all the front pages today (see poat 106). I really wonder what the no nonsense Philip thinks about that.

First response that came to mind for me when you asked what Philip most likely thought about all this attention could most likely comes from him, himself.

"You have mosquitoes. We have the press." :ROFLMAO:

His retirement is well deserved and I'm impressed that he's willing to be honest and announce he's stepping down in the fall. At some point it's okay to say I've done my bit and now I want to relax. That's not easy for the British royals to admit.

It also is very unprecedented that a British royal decides to step down at almost 96 years old too. ;)

Last edited:
First response that came to mind for me when you asked what Philip most likely thought about all this attention could most likely comes from him, himself.

"You have mosquitoes. We have the press." :ROFLMAO:
That's really something he could have said! I understand why people have criticized Philip over the years (I've done it myself), but we must admit that he's hilarious.

It also is very unprecedented that a British royal decides to step down at almost 96 years old too. ;)
I for one wasn't that surprised, nor were the british commentators. There have been rumors in the British press in the last 6 years that he wanted to retire from royal duties, but that he chose not to do so, because he didn't want to disappoint the Queen.

That's really something he could have said! I understand why people have criticized Philip over the years (I've done it myself), but we must admit that he's hilarious.

It is something he *did* say but at another time and another place. I find his "gaffes" totally amusing too and its pure Philip. I'm sure we've a lot more of them to hear from Philip but it just won't be doing public engagements. He says what comes to mind and for the most part, I think it puts people at ease in his presence.

It is something he *did* say but at another time and another place. I find his "gaffes" totally amusing too and its pure Philip. I'm sure we've a lot more of them to hear from Philip but it just won't be doing public engagements. He says what comes to mind and for the most part, I think it puts people at ease in his presence.
Yes, that's right (I've lost the count of everything he has said), and wasn't that in Dominica when he was opening a hospital?

Edit: I have now checked it, and that was in Dominica.

Last edited:
Who hasn't felt that way at some event where it takes forever to get pics done?

LaRae

Read more: Team Windsor rallies to help the Queen as Prince Philip's friends say he's 'stepping down, not sitting down'
The children and grandchildren of the Queen have embarked on a new phase of public duties, as "Team Windsor" rallied round to fill the Duke of Edinburgh’s shoes.

The Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Princess Royal and Earl of Wessex each stepped up a day after the Duke announced his retirement, in a very visible sign of a new collaborative Royal era.

While the Duke of Edinburgh, 95, departed London to spend the day privately with friends, the Queen was joined by the Duke of Cambridge for a working lunch at Buckingham Palace.

Staff at the palaces have been given a pep talk on how they will be encouraged to pull together, as three generations of the Royal family work ever closer with the common purpose of supporting the Queen.

Team Windsor, as it is being called by aides, will jointly spread the burden of taking the Duke’s workload from August, when he has announced he will retire from public duties.

Nothing happened on Friday that wasn't planned months ago so hardly 'stepping up' as Philip retires.

We won't see any changes in what was planned until after the summer holidays when Philip's retirement actually begins.

The press doesn't even seem to be able to understand the actual announcement - that he is not accepting any new engagements after August but any that we planned before than will go ahead.

He hasn't been doing that many so far this year anyway so it isn't a surprise that he didn't do three days in a row this week and he did one on Wednesday and again on Thursday.

I've always heard that Andrew is her favorite, and she finds it hard to deny him anything.

I never heard anyone "in the know" expressing this fact, only media and I am quite sure that the Queen never voiced the fact that Andrew was her favorite to any reporter. Often wonder how these so called facts get started. Anne and Philip, yes I can see "Daddy's little girl" syndrome. But mother of three sons, just can't picture the Queen ever expressing such a thing. As for not denying him anything, well he didn't get his way with daughters getting full-time royal jobs like he wanted. Unless that was just a media fake store also. Gets to the point a person never knows 100% what to believe unless they hear it themselves coming out of person's mouth.

Nothing happened on Friday that wasn't planned months ago so hardly 'stepping up' as Philip retires.

We won't see any changes in what was planned until after the summer holidays when Philip's retirement actually begins.

I agree. This all didn't happen one day last week at the breakfast table over tea or coffee. I would believe if it was in the works a good year ago. Media just annoyed that they didn't know about it prior and put the wrong spin on the entire thing. Maybe next time they will wait until announcements are made before making themselves look stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

The press doesn't even seem to be able to understand the actual announcement - that he is not accepting any new engagements after August but any that we planned before than will go ahead.

He hasn't been doing that many so far this year anyway so it isn't a surprise that he didn't do three days in a row this week and he did one on Wednesday and again on Thursday.
I agree, but Wiliam being shown with the Queen the day after the announcement about Philip wasn't a coincidence.

I never heard anyone "in the know" expressing this fact, only media and I am quite sure that the Queen never voiced the fact that Andrew was her favorite to any reporter. Often wonder how these so called facts get started. Anne and Philip, yes I can see "Daddy's little girl" syndrome. But mother of three sons, just can't picture the Queen ever expressing such a thing. As for not denying him anything, well he didn't get his way with daughters getting full-time royal jobs like he wanted. Unless that was just a media fake store also. Gets to the point a person never knows 100% what to believe unless they hear it themselves coming out of person's mouth.
The (lying-lowing) British press changes its mind all the time when it comes to whom the favourite are. They'v even said it's Charles.

I would put my money on that all of the Queen's children are her "favorites" in their own way. Charles is her heir and first born. Anne is "Daddy's Little Princess". Andrew is her wonderful "surprise" later in life and Edward is her "baby". Mothers can and do have different types of relationships with thieir different children. I would imagine its the same thing with her grandchildren. They're all her "favorites" because of the little things they love best about each other.

At least this is how I see it. :D

Myself I think Anne is closest to her. They are reportedly very close and share a lot of the same interests. The only daughter. She is reportedly also very tight with the DoE, they are quite alike.

LaRae

The State Visit from Spain will possibly be one of the Duke's last major events before the summer holidays and autumn retirement.

Should we assume he won't take part in the US State Visit in the fall ?

I don't think he will be at the 'greet' at Horseguards or in the carriage procession down the Mall (or car ride) but he may very well still attend the State Banquet as it is inside BP and he has to have a dinner that night anyway.

I can see him doing something like that where he can simply chat to a few people before dinner and then sit through a dinner and then retire after the dinner and thus still be supporting his wife, helping his country but not having to leave the house.

I think it will depend on his health. By retiring, he can be absent from Major events like a state visit, without causing a stir. I don't think Philip is going yo disappear off to Sandringham and never be seen again. He will be like Henrik in Denmark, though more health driven. I think as long as he is feeling up to it, we will see him at part of the visit. Perhaps just the dinner. But there.

I don't think he will be at the 'greet' at Horseguards or in the carriage procession down the Mall (or car ride) but he may very well still attend the State Banquet as it is inside BP and he has to have a dinner that night anyway.

That's funny. :flowers: And it will be good food, too. Sounds like a good life. ;)

I can see him doing something like that where he can simply chat to a few people before dinner and then sit through a dinner and then retire after the dinner and thus still be supporting his wife, helping his country but not having to leave the house.

Not having to leave the house: priceless, Iluvbertie. :flowers: I love the image conjured up.

Back
Top Bottom