The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Read more: Team Windsor rallies to help the Queen as Prince Philip's friends say he's 'stepping down, not sitting down'
Quote:
The children and grandchildren of the Queen have embarked on a new phase of public duties, as "Team Windsor" rallied round to fill the Duke of Edinburgh’s shoes.

The Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Princess Royal and Earl of Wessex each stepped up a day after the Duke announced his retirement, in a very visible sign of a new collaborative Royal era.

While the Duke of Edinburgh, 95, departed London to spend the day privately with friends, the Queen was joined by the Duke of Cambridge for a working lunch at Buckingham Palace.

Staff at the palaces have been given a pep talk on how they will be encouraged to pull together, as three generations of the Royal family work ever closer with the common purpose of supporting the Queen.

Team Windsor, as it is being called by aides, will jointly spread the burden of taking the Duke’s workload from August, when he has announced he will retire from public duties.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nothing happened on Friday that wasn't planned months ago so hardly 'stepping up' as Philip retires.

We won't see any changes in what was planned until after the summer holidays when Philip's retirement actually begins.

The press doesn't even seem to be able to understand the actual announcement - that he is not accepting any new engagements after August but any that we planned before than will go ahead.

He hasn't been doing that many so far this year anyway so it isn't a surprise that he didn't do three days in a row this week and he did one on Wednesday and again on Thursday.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've always heard that Andrew is her favorite, and she finds it hard to deny him anything.
I never heard anyone "in the know" expressing this fact, only media and I am quite sure that the Queen never voiced the fact that Andrew was her favorite to any reporter. Often wonder how these so called facts get started. Anne and Philip, yes I can see "Daddy's little girl" syndrome. But mother of three sons, just can't picture the Queen ever expressing such a thing. As for not denying him anything, well he didn't get his way with daughters getting full-time royal jobs like he wanted. Unless that was just a media fake store also. Gets to the point a person never knows 100% what to believe unless they hear it themselves coming out of person's mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Nothing happened on Friday that wasn't planned months ago so hardly 'stepping up' as Philip retires.

We won't see any changes in what was planned until after the summer holidays when Philip's retirement actually begins.
I agree. This all didn't happen one day last week at the breakfast table over tea or coffee. I would believe if it was in the works a good year ago. Media just annoyed that they didn't know about it prior and put the wrong spin on the entire thing. Maybe next time they will wait until announcements are made before making themselves look stupid.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The press doesn't even seem to be able to understand the actual announcement - that he is not accepting any new engagements after August but any that we planned before than will go ahead.

He hasn't been doing that many so far this year anyway so it isn't a surprise that he didn't do three days in a row this week and he did one on Wednesday and again on Thursday.
I agree, but Wiliam being shown with the Queen the day after the announcement about Philip wasn't a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I never heard anyone "in the know" expressing this fact, only media and I am quite sure that the Queen never voiced the fact that Andrew was her favorite to any reporter. Often wonder how these so called facts get started. Anne and Philip, yes I can see "Daddy's little girl" syndrome. But mother of three sons, just can't picture the Queen ever expressing such a thing. As for not denying him anything, well he didn't get his way with daughters getting full-time royal jobs like he wanted. Unless that was just a media fake store also. Gets to the point a person never knows 100% what to believe unless they hear it themselves coming out of person's mouth.
The (lying-lowing) British press changes its mind all the time when it comes to whom the favourite are. They'v even said it's Charles.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would put my money on that all of the Queen's children are her "favorites" in their own way. Charles is her heir and first born. Anne is "Daddy's Little Princess". Andrew is her wonderful "surprise" later in life and Edward is her "baby". Mothers can and do have different types of relationships with thieir different children. I would imagine its the same thing with her grandchildren. They're all her "favorites" because of the little things they love best about each other.

At least this is how I see it.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Myself I think Anne is closest to her. They are reportedly very close and share a lot of the same interests. The only daughter. She is reportedly also very tight with the DoE, they are quite alike.

LaRae
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The State Visit from Spain will possibly be one of the Duke's last major events before the summer holidays and autumn retirement.

Should we assume he won't take part in the US State Visit in the fall ?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think he will be at the 'greet' at Horseguards or in the carriage procession down the Mall (or car ride) but he may very well still attend the State Banquet as it is inside BP and he has to have a dinner that night anyway.

I can see him doing something like that where he can simply chat to a few people before dinner and then sit through a dinner and then retire after the dinner and thus still be supporting his wife, helping his country but not having to leave the house.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Majesty

I think it will depend on his health. By retiring, he can be absent from Major events like a state visit, without causing a stir. I don't think Philip is going yo disappear off to Sandringham and never be seen again. He will be like Henrik in Denmark, though more health driven. I think as long as he is feeling up to it, we will see him at part of the visit. Perhaps just the dinner. But there.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think he will be at the 'greet' at Horseguards or in the carriage procession down the Mall (or car ride) but he may very well still attend the State Banquet as it is inside BP and he has to have a dinner that night anyway.
That's funny. And it will be good food, too. Sounds like a good life.

Quote:
I can see him doing something like that where he can simply chat to a few people before dinner and then sit through a dinner and then retire after the dinner and thus still be supporting his wife, helping his country but not having to leave the house.
Not having to leave the house: priceless, Iluvbertie. I love the image conjured up.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think it will depend on his health. By retiring, he can be absent from Major events like a state visit, without causing a stir. I don't think Philip is going yo disappear off to Sandringham and never be seen again. He will be like Henrik in Denmark, though more health driven. I think as long as he is feeling up to it, we will see him at part of the visit. Perhaps just the dinner. But there.
I agree. I think sometimes that people have no idea what it must mean for a 95 year old, even as robust as Philip, to perform the way he does. I know 2 people over 90 and both, even clear in thoughts, are unable to walk on their own but with a walking frame or, on good days, with a crane.
When looking carefully at recent footage of Philip at events it's clear to see how exhausting it is for him to walk without assistance. And he is from a generation NOT to show any weakness meaning to use a walking aid in public (one of the people over 90 I know - a male - won't leave the appartement any more for that reason).
So my guess is that he felt that it is no longer possible for him to go through full day events without help thus he'll retire. He might show himself from time to time when he feels he can do it.
And the truth is, especially when looking at Philip's face/skin: it's an absolute exception to get as far as Philip got, most people are long dead or at retirement homes at his age.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I'm sure that Philip is too independent to wish to be seen beign helped or using a walking aid. He's a proud man and he's ben out there doing his job, as long as he can.. and now I think he's earned the righto to take it easy
Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would put my money on that all of the Queen's children are her "favorites" in their own way. Charles is her heir and first born. Anne is "Daddy's Little Princess". Andrew is her wonderful "surprise" later in life and Edward is her "baby". Mothers can and do have different types of relationships with thieir different children. I would imagine its the same thing with her grandchildren. They're all her "favorites" because of the little things they love best about each other.

At least this is how I see it.
As you say the Queen probably loves them all for different reasons and in their own special way. Not much has been said about Anne and the Queen's relationship but we saw that photo of the two of them released and that brought about discussion of how close they were and how they speak regularly, it was said that during the 'war of the Waleses' Anne (after Philip) was the one she could speak to about it all.

Last time the Duke was taken ill wasn't it Anne who stepped in and accompanied the Queen on visits, wasn't there one to the Lakes?

That being said Anne has a busy diary already so I can't see her suddenly fitting lots of visits with the Queen in. In fairness, all the media hype about the Queen being accompanied by her children may be off the mark, she does plenty of solo visits now. I think it may simply become the Queen doing things by herself unless one of her children can accompany her or she needs an official 'other half' in which case Charles would most likely accompany her.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:46 AM
Nobility

I read Philip quipped, "Well I can't stand up for much longer!", to someone who said he was sorry Philip was standing down.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
As you say the Queen probably loves them all for different reasons and in their own special way. Not much has been said about Anne and the Queen's relationship but we saw that photo of the two of them released and that brought about discussion of how close they were and how they speak regularly, it was said that during the 'war of the Waleses' Anne (after Philip) was the one she could speak to about it all.

Last time the Duke was taken ill wasn't it Anne who stepped in and accompanied the Queen on visits, wasn't there one to the Lakes?

That being said Anne has a busy diary already so I can't see her suddenly fitting lots of visits with the Queen in. In fairness, all the media hype about the Queen being accompanied by her children may be off the mark, she does plenty of solo visits now. I think it may simply become the Queen doing things by herself unless one of her children can accompany her or she needs an official 'other half' in which case Charles would most likely accompany her.
The Queen will be fine. The Palace mentioned that members of the royal family will support her in Philip's absence. That's on the days she's not doing solo engagements.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Edward has told Sky News his father's decision to take a step back from royal duties is "very sensible" - and said he does not think the Duke of Edinburgh will vanish from public life.

The Earl of Wessex said the royal family respects Prince Philip's decision - and he expressed hope that the 95-year-old will have more time for activities he enjoys.

"I don't believe that he's going to be putting his feet up completely, disappearing into the background and never being seen again," he told Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills.

"He'll pick and choose what he wants to do, how he wants to do it and decide what's sensible and what's practical."
Read more: Duke of Edinburgh won't be putting his feet up, Prince Edward says
Old 05-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw it on Sky News. And as many commentators said on thursday, he is still going to attend some engagements with the Queen, but only when he feels up to it.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Should we assume he won't take part in the US State Visit in the fall ?
If Trump wants him to be there, then he will see that May sees that the Queen sees that the DoE shows up.
The bread and butter of BRF is to be the tools of soft diplomacy. And it's not like he suddenly became invalid. He can be there..
If Trump is not bothered then it's their wish.. JMO..
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Majesty

I am sorry I doubt the prime minister is about to order the 96 year old retired Prince to attend a dinner. Trump is only that important in his own mind.

As long as the queen is there, I doubt trump would care or even notice.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Courtier

If he doesn't care then it's fine. And also notice they have said in the announcement "he will keep attending some public events from time to time". This is to keep a window for such appearances..