The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It wasn't an 'emergency meeting', that's just tabloid hype. A meeting of palace staff was called by The Lord Chamberlain to give them a heads up before the press. A lot of staff have been there for years. It was a nice courtesy.

This will have been in the works for weeks if not months. No coincidence The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced last month a full-time move to London with William devoting himself to royal engagements.
This! I'm pretty sure the meeting was planned and the media simply found out and turned it into a big hype. By early morning today alot of twitter and media were basically saying someone senior was dead so the Palace had to announce what the meeting was for. I'm not sure they wanted it announced today, i know people say the Queen met the PM yesterday but I am not sure that means anything about this announcement. I suspect it may have been intended to be announced much later (after the election especially) and cerainly with less fuss.
Shows the power of social media and less trustworthy media sources

Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Folks, the handing down of patronages is a gradual process. Some more will be handed down in the coming months and years ahead, and some will be handed down in the next reign. This process has already begun.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Video from Sky News about the Queen's strength and stay:

The Queen on Prince Philip: 'My strength and my stay'
Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, it's already been announced that the Cambridge's will be transitioning to mainly royal duties this fall. William's job with the Air Ambulance ends this summer. Harry will also be taking on more as well. I believe Prince Philip will be handing down more patronages, military appointments and other organizations he support. Although he will still associate with those organizations.
Which considering the timing of Phillip retiring in August and William ending his EAAA contract makes me think that these plans have been in the works for some time now.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that at 95 everybody is entitled to rest and live a quiet life
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The grandfather of the nation (as the Telegraph put it) is on many of the front pages tonight:

The Telegraph:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AtnKYW0AAlmq3.jpg

The Mail:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_A500iWAAAsgEJ.jpg

The Express:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AvSGrXsAAYy6l.jpg

The Sun:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ay0DbXsAAYQ_o.jpg

Metro:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AtsXRWsAEnR7v.jpg

i paper:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AwMMjXYAAgYvd.jpg

The Times:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AxaniXUAAF8wm.jpg
Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

WOW
Well it's ONLY a retirement, he's not dead yet !
Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Has any information emerged on when and how the notification to staff happened? And which staff? We are speculating - but I'd like an idea of how many and what kind of people were called in, when and whence?

While clearly not relating to an emergency, the fact that they called an in person meeting gives it weight and makes it a special case, even for BIG news. These are people who announce the birth of the 3rd in line on a piece of paper near the door (and Twitter).

One simple question I'd love to have answered (not that the BRF owes me anything) is how often have these all-hands staff meetings occurred?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
WOW
I know! I almost teared up when I saw the front pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Has any information emerged on when and how the notification to staff happened? And which staff? We are speculating - but I'd like an idea of how many and what kind of people were called in, when and whence?

While clearly not relating to an emergency, the fact that they called an in person meeting gives it weight and makes it a special case, even for BIG news. These are people who announce the birth of the 3rd in line on a piece of paper near the door (and Twitter).

One simple question I'd love to have answered (not that the BRF owes me anything) is how often have these all-hands staff meetings occurred?
There are many articles about it. Some information from the Times, but not much: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ties-08cpbff0v
Quote:
Staff at Buckingham Palace were summoned to the meeting to hear the Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel and the Queen’s private secretary Sir Christopher Geidt reveal plans for Prince Philip’s retirement. They were joined by staff from Windsor Castle.

The timing of the announcement was because the royal diary for the autumn is being drawn up now, and Philip wanted to make it clear that he would not be available for subsequent engagements.

More from the Times:
Quote:
It is understood that Philip had been thinking about the decision for the past few months. Last year was a busy one for royal engagements, with the Queen celebrating her 90th birthday, and Philip felt that once that was out of the way he could start thinking about retirement.

The Queen will carry on with her programme of engagements — sometimes appearing by herself, sometimes accompanied by other members of the royal family. The official statement said: “Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.”

A source added: “The Queen is perfectly comfortable with solo engagements.

However it is understood that it will become more common for other royals to appear on engagements with her.
Of course she is. She used to do solo engagements all the times. And as an commentator said earlier today: The Queen loves what she does.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
WOW
It is the usual British frenzy.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince Philip was back on royal duties today. In great form. He will continue on until this fall. It wasn't a last minute decision. The House of Windsor doesn't operate that way. Charles and William at the least will have been given notice.

Like I said, The Cambridges coming back to London full-time with William devoting himself to royal life isn't a coincidence in my opinion.

Well they have to come back for George's schooling. I think it was something he might have been thinking about and just agreed on the spot. Then it was let's get this going
Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...blic-fk3x595kc
Quote:
He had spent several months considering his future as he increasingly felt the strain of his official duties, it is understood. He broke the news of his planned retirement to the Queen over the Easter weekend at Windsor Castle and she immediately gave him her full support.

The duke came to the decision after a busy run of engagements last year, which included the Queen’s 90th birthday. The landmark royal event this year is their 70th wedding anniversary in November.

Over recent months Prince Philip has been feeling the relentless pace of engagements — he carried out 336 last year, and more than 22,000 since 1952 — and while he remains in good health The Times understands that he can find himself lacking energy.
More about the notification to the staff:
Quote:
The news was broken to the royal household by the Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel, and the Queen’s private secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, yesterday morning. Several hundred of the 500 staff that the Queen employs gathered in the ballroom of Buckingham Palace to hear Sir Christopher, 55, tell them how, after the duke stepped down, other members of the royal family would support the Queen by carrying out engagements with her and on her behalf.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Guys, I know some think the frenzy over this whole thing is funny and silly. We can't make fun of it though. With The Queen at 91 and Prince Philip approaching his 96th Birthday, everyone is on edge.

We know with big meetings like this and household staff from all over being called at once to gather, we can't easily dismiss these things in the future.

I know no one wants to talk about it, but we're approaching some important times and big news like this have to be taken serious.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

The issue here is that someone made it into a big deal - i.e. the DM by 'breaking' the news at something like 3.00 a.m.

It is clear that the meeting wasn't called at that time but that is when the DM heard about it and made it into a big 'news' story.

The reality is that these meetings take place occasionally without any fanfare simply because there isn't anything to have a fanfare about.

By the way - is this really the reason for the meeting or are we assuming that because of the announcement.

We know that the PMs etc of the other realms had to be told (and the Deputy PM - currently acting PM - of Australia made it clear, long before the 8.00 a.m. suggested time of the meeting - that is 'was nothing serious')

This supposed meeting also took place at 10.00 a.m. and lasted how long? The announcement was on the BRF website within a few minutes of 10.00 a.m. If that was what the meeting was about it seems overkill to gather all those people together for a meeting of a few minutes.

Was this also a matter of a meeting that lead to a frenzy and so they made an announcement which may or may not have been planned to be made to set everyone's minds at rest while the real meeting on whatever issue went ahead anyway?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS;1982057

One simple question I'd love to have answered (not that the BRF owes [U
me[/U] anything) is how often have these all-hands staff meetings occurred?
I am quite sure that some research would give you that answer. Just a matter of knowing where to look or ask. Try and do it on the internet or contact the Times if it is important to you. They usually have people to help.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The question now is how is DoE's charity work going to be divided? There has been so much press about Will & Kate's approach to royal engagements and Andrew's desire to have Beatrice and Eugenie to become working royals, could that be a factor in splitting up work in the Firm?
My thoughts exactly. The Queen's children and daughters in law are working at full capacity (Sophie has lower numbers due to having young children), and William, Kate and Harry seem to be reluctant to take on full time royal duties, which only leaves Beatrice and Eugenie. While I think it would be better for them to have private lives, at least they are showing more willing and enthusiasm than their royal cousins.

Another option could be for Prince and Princess Michael to take on full time royal duties instead.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
My thoughts exactly. The Queen's children and daughters in law are working at full capacity (Sophie has lower numbers due to having young children), and William, Kate and Harry seem to be reluctant to take on full time royal duties, which only leaves Beatrice and Eugenie. While I think it would be better for them to have private lives, at least they are showing more willing and enthusiasm than their royal cousins.

Another option could be for Prince and Princess Michael to take on full time royal duties instead.
royal-blue, the Cambridge's are becoming full time royals in the fall. The official announcement has already been made on that. The younger royals are now taking on more duties that's being handed down to them. Prince Philip and The Queen has handed down some patronages down to their children, grandchildren and granddaughter-in-law. More is likely to come.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Philip should continue to wear Naval, Army, Air Force uniforms in some special events, should he?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Majesty

Relieved to come home from work to good news

Most men his age would have been retired for thirty years. Philip certainly has earned his retirement. He will still appear at the odd event by the sounds of it and some of his work.

It makes sense. Elizabeth needs her husband as support. But at his age that support comes in new forms. Supporting her emotionally and behind the scenes, and not as a working royal. By retiring, Nd taking stress off of him, he will hopefully be around a few more years. I am sure the queen would much rather her husband home and there to keep her company, then losing him sooner because the stress put on his health. I am sure his grandkids and great grandkids will appreciate any more years they get.

Philip has a ton of patronages that are one offs, or that already have more than one royal patron. And some odd foreign ones. There is no real need for any of these to be filled. I do think his major ones will be filled.

I do hope they pick the royal who best suits and not just boosting numbers for the Cambridges. Would be nice to see the yorks get a few. Harry would be a great match for the WWF. Philip has a few golf ones Andrew could take. There are a few design and health ones the yorks actually seem suited for.

I do think some of his Scottish based ones will end up with Edward or Sophie. We saw that with at least one from the queen.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen would do well by letting Andrew accompany her places. Andrew is after all, her favorite son.