The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It wasn't an 'emergency meeting', that's just tabloid hype. A meeting of palace staff was called by The Lord Chamberlain to give them a heads up before the press. A lot of staff have been there for years. It was a nice courtesy.

This will have been in the works for weeks if not months. No coincidence The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced last month a full-time move to London with William devoting himself to royal engagements.
I agree. It was a made-up story by the scum media to cause a dramatic headline. They were probably annoyed that it was just a retirement and not something worse, knowing how their minds work. I think is was a lovely polite courtesy for the meeting to be held instead of the loyal staff to read in newspapers or hear on TV/radio. Shows class and respect for employees. Something quite lacking in today's society lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
But will people say, 'she should just abdicate' if the Queen can't appear much in public anymore?

I mean, everyone always says the Queen will never abdicate because of her uncle's abdication, but doing it in old age would be a very different story.
I don't believe intelligent people will ever say anything if Queen cuts down on her events. She is already the hardest working Queen/King and even when she does cut back a bit, she will still outdo many that sits in other countries. She will never abdicate [like Queen Victoria before her] and what her uncle did really hasn't affected her decision. She is true to herself. JMO

Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As I figure it, what most likely happened was that Buckingham Palace waited until the last minute possible to alert the media that there would be a meeting and then an announcement forthcoming. That's all they had to say. The media ran with it and figured that as they were given such short notice, something dire was in the air and news was ready to break. That's like a triple shot of adrenaline for reporters and photographers and speculation abounded.

Its not unusual for the press to be alerted at the last minute. If memory serves me right, they were all alerted only hours before William and Kate announced their engagement. The family knew of the engagement long before it was announced but no one told the media until they had to.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

He did great work for the United Kingdom and he deserves his retirement.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Though it will be strange not to see the Duke attending public events its no real surprise given his age and the Duke well deserves his retirement at 96!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Hurray for the the world's most experienced plaque-unveiler !

The man is a LEGEND

I wish him all the best and a happy, and well deserved, retirement.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

A cartoon in honor of Prince Philip shared by The Telegraph

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7503.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	300346
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And what happens if the Queen herself reaches the age of 96? While she and Philip both seem mentally sharp, it seems to me that the Queen moves more slowly than Philip and in some ways shows her age more.
I agree. IMO this is about The Queen's health, too. I especially see it in the close up pictures. In my view, this is setting the stage for her pulling back. Not a choice, really, just life. Queen Victoria was lucky in that she could stay cloistered without the glare of the floodlights on her every move. Queen Elizabeth deserves some slack, and I think it's only reasonable to see that happen sooner rather than later.

Quote:
There's no precedent for a 90-something monarch, and while I know we've always believed the Queen will never abdicate, it's possible that she herself will have to drastically scale back her duties at some point. How would the public react if she were only making a few public appearances a year, but remained Queen?
I think that time is coming, and it will be Charles handling the front-and-center events of the monarchy in the not too distant future. JMO.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Read more: How Prince Philip's unorthodox upbringing and traumatic childhood shaped him
Quote:
He had the most unorthodox childhood: with his mother in a psychiatric clinic and his exiled father mostly absent, Prince Philip spent his early years being sent from post to pillar. Despite a succession of family tragedies, he emerged capable, charming and uncomplaining.

As the longest-serving royal consort in British history approached his 90th birthday in 2011, the Telegraph published an exclusive extract from Philip Eade’s book, Young Prince Philip: His Turbulent Early Life, which showed how his traumatic childhood shaped him and details the strength of character he showed in the face of such tragedy and turbulence.
More about HM, the Queen's role:
Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills said this on Sky News 40 minutes ago: ''Also within that statement that was relised this morning there is that very clear message of reassurance when it comes to the Queen's role going forward. Today I'm being told very clearly that she will carry on with those engagements and that it will be business as usual, she will continue to be busy and she is as dedicated as ewer to her own public life.''
Old 05-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017

There isn't a precedent for a 90 something monarch but there is a precedence for an unwell monarch. It's called a regency. The mechanism of it is already in place. If the Queen can't do the job anymore then Charles will be the regent. It's that simple.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness

Will William, Kate, and Harry now have more official duties?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There isn't a precedent for a 90 something monarch but there is a precedence for an unwell monarch. It's called a regency. The mechanism of it is already in place. If the Queen can't do the job anymore then Charles will be the regent. It's that simple.
Exactly!

But everyone I speak to thinks the Queen is doing very well for a 91 year old woman. And as I said in post 71: She has knee problems, but she is healthy, she rides her horses and looks amazing.

She has already chaled down her duties (especially after 2012): She no longer goes on walkabouts, no longer uses open cars, she does not travel around the UK like she used to, and she no longer travels abroad.

But the Queen has a completely different role than Philip and as long as she is cleare in her head and is capable of meeting the PM and do some things inside/outside the palace, then there wont be need for a regency. Her mother did engagements at the age of 101.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

A regency is a legal matter. The Queen isn't anywhere near it.

According to section 2 of the Regency Act 1937, the people who can make a declaration of incapacity (or a declaration that the incapacity has ended) are the consort of the Sovereign, the Lord Chancellor, the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Lord Chief Justice of England and the Master of the Rolls.

As of 2016 these positions were held by, respectively, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Liz Truss, John Bercow, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd, and Sir Terrence Etherton.

Any declaration of incapacity or of cessation of incapacity needs to be signed by three or more of them. Declarations based on the monarch's unavailability for a definite cause need to be supported by evidence, and declarations attesting the Sovereign's incapacity by reason of infirmity of mind or body need to be supported by evidence including evidence provided by physicians.

A declaration of incapacity or of cessation of incapacity needs to be made to the Privy Council and communicated to the governments of the Dominions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenc...gency_Act_1953
Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

A reminder that we already have a thread to discuss whether the Queen would abdicate or retire (see link below) - let's stick to discussing the Duke of Edinburgh's retirement here. Thanks!

The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes, it's already been announced that the Cambridge's will be transitioning to mainly royal duties this fall. William's job with the Air Ambulance ends this summer. Harry will also be taking on more as well. I believe Prince Philip will be handing down more patronages, military appointments and other organizations he support. Although he will still associate with those organizations.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Here's hoping! Channel 5 said that the queen will be accompanied by other family members in the future (they listed the Cambridge's, Harry, Charles, Camilla and Sophie when mentioning this but I imagine everyone will get involved.)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, it's already been announced that the Cambridge's will be transitioning to mainly royal duties this fall. William's job with the Air Ambulance ends this summer. Harry will also be taking on more as well. I believe Prince Philip will be handing down more patronages, military appointments and other organizations he support. Although he will still associate with those organizations.

There really isn't a pressing need to do anything with Philip's 780 patronages right now. There is no point doing anything until the accession of King Charles. Then the various patronages of Philip, Elizabeth, Charles and Camilla can be redistributed to the appropriate people.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't believe intelligent people will ever say anything if Queen cuts down on her events. She is already the hardest working Queen/King and even when she does cut back a bit, she will still outdo many that sits in other countries. She will never abdicate [like Queen Victoria before her] and what her uncle did really hasn't affected her decision. She is true to herself. JMO

Queen Victoria didn't live past the age of 81. QEII on the other hand is already 91, which is an unprecedented circumstance for any British monarch.

I do not doubt that the Queen might still go on for many years "meeting with the PM and working in the palace" as Royal Norway said, while scaling back other engagements. However, that seems to be totally unreasonable to me, especially considering that there is an easy and convenient alternative which does not involve abdication, namely a regency for Prince Charles.

PS: Please feel free to move this post to the Abdication/ Retirement forum.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There really isn't a pressing need to do anything with Philip's 780 patronages right now. There is no point doing anything until the accession of King Charles. Then the various patronages of Philip, Elizabeth, Charles and Camilla can be redistributed to the appropriate people.
Well, I'm sure he will pass more stuff down to the younger royals. I'm not talking about all of his patronages though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Some of Philips large national charities that have enjoyed generations of royal patronage may be passed down but as the statement says, he is still going to be involved with his causes.

I agree with Skippyboo. We have no idea what Charles has in mind for the future. If we are to believe the stories, it will be a scaled down monarchy with a 'quality or quantity' approach.

No point to take on patronages now that will be jettisoned in the next reign.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Read more: Our Queen's happy and glorious reign is due in no small part to the Duke of Edinburgh, her 'Everest of rocks'
Quote:
t tells you something about a man when he decides to give up the day job at the age of 95. By the time Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh hangs up that spiffy Admiral of the Fleet hat in the autumn he will have passed the official state retirement date by a stonking 31 years.

Indeed, he is likely to be one of the few men who served in The Second World War and is still in public service. It is one of his gifts that he has never made us dwell on the fact that he is old. The role of the Grandfather of the Nation is to be taken utterly for granted, and that’s the way he likes it. In a wonderfully cantankerous interview for the BBC on his 90th birthday, Philip was invited to take pride in his achievements. Good grief! It was as if he had been asked to strip off. His peregrine-falcon face contorting with disbelief, he objected, “No, that’s asking too much.”

On typically irreverent form the Duke of Edinburgh made the crowd at an Order of Merit service roar with laughter when he made a joke at his own expense, telling one guest who said he was sorry he was standing down: ‘Well I can can’t stand up for much longer’.