The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, at least we know that big meetings like this means something serious. Especially with a major group of staff from all over the Kingdom being called to Buckingham Palace. We know stuff like this shouldn't be easily dismissed in the future.

There's going to come a point where, yes, The Queen will reduce her schedule and Charles take over. I'm not talking about abdication. The realities of age is finally taking over and we have to accept it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Not going to happen!
That discussion should be moved to another forum, but I am pretty confident a regency is likely to happen at some point. The same biological constraints that apply to Prince Philip also apply to the Queen, regardless of how healthy both of them are.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Nobility

A surprise yet not a surprise. I hope he enjoys good health so that he can relax and do the things he loves to do and maybe do some things he's always wanted to do but never had the time.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

See pictures: Prince Philip: Decades of royal duties
Quote:
The Duke of Edinburgh has spent much of his lifetime carrying out royal duties. As he announces he is standing down, we take a look back at his royal career and his life before he became Britain's longest serving consort.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Not going to happen!

Yesterday people would have said that the DoE retiring wasn't going to ever happen. Yet here we are.

I strongly believe the Queen isn't likely to abdicate, but I wouldn't rule out a regency in the future.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Yesterday people would have said that the DoE retiring wasn't going to ever happen. Yet here we are.

I strongly believe the Queen isn't likely to abdicate, but I wouldn't rule out a regency in the future.
That's right. People have to come to terms to the reality of these people ages and stop thinking retirement or stepping back is some kind of bad words. Age, health and body has the final say.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

To me, the best scenario as far as introducing a regency would be if Philip died before the Queen. She then would take a period of mourning and other than the "must do" business that only the sovereign can do, the rest will lie with Charles and the rest of the royal family. This may indicate not only a passing of the baton to Charles and make for a smooth transition for when the time comes, but also give HM a respite from a very hectic schedule she now has.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has a completely different role than Philip and as long as she is cleare in her head and is capable of meeting the PM and do some things inside the palace, then there wont be need for a regency. Her mother did engagements at the age of 101.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

The Duke of Edinburgh may have been the last man still active in public life who fought in the Second World War.
Bravo, and thank you Sir.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

'I am rude but it's fun': Prince Philip in his own words
Quote:
Prince Philip may be one of the most controversial royals, but he’s also by far the funniest. In 2015 a book of stories about the Duke of Edinburgh by Nigel Cawthorne, 'I know I am rude, but it’s Fun: The Royal Family and the World at Large - as Seen by Prince Philip' – was published.

The book gives context to some of Prince Philip’s best known gaffes, but also reveals some lesser-known anecdotes. Here are some of the Duke's greatest moments compiled in Cawthorne’s book:
I must admit that I have never been a big fan of Prince Philip, but I admire him for what he has done for the Queen, the UK and the Commonwealth.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince Philip's career stats:
Total number of solo engagements - 22,191
Total number of solo overseas visits - 637 (Commonwealth countries - 229 visits to 67 countries / other countries 408 visits to 76 countries)
Total number of speeches given - 5,493
Total number of patronages - 785 organisations
Presentation of colours - 54
Number of service appointments - 32
Number of books authored - 14

https://twitter.com/MaxFosterCNN/sta...87892391198721
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

"I'm sorry to hear you're standing down" - "Well I can't stand up much"

ITV News‏ @itvnews
Prince Philip gives a guest a witty reply to why he's standing down from royal duties

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/860127217094975489
Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Funny as always.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think we'll be hearing more of a list of patronages, military and other host of organizations he'll be handing down.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Majesty

It is not surprising to hear and read about The Duke's of Edinburgh retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
He deserves a retirement, absolutely. But I'm baffled as to how this was handled.
It is the usual way the British courtiers handle issues.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
He deserves a retirement, absolutely. But I'm baffled as to how this was handled.
Me too!
I thought it would be something big, like an abdication or an engagement or something.

Why didn't the palace simply issue an announcement (which would have surprised nobody) instead of calling a huge meeting and getting everyone all excited over nothing, really?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
"I'm sorry to hear you're standing down" - "Well I can't stand up much"

ITV News‏ @itvnews
Prince Philip gives a guest a witty reply to why he's standing down from royal duties

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/860127217094975489
Brilliant ! Making fun of your own limitations is a great marker of wisdom IMHO.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

This may be the first step in a thought-out progression. The Queen may be next to withdraw from active public life, except for the occasional event. It may be that it is The Queen, more than Philip, who needs to withdraw. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Some people just have to be rude:
Labour's Chi Onwurah takes a jibe at Prince Philip | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Buckingham Palace confirmed: "Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family."

Also - It's a job for life. As long as The Queen remains of sound mind, abdication or regency is out of the question.

In 1992, the Queen dismissed any speculation that she would step down, insisting frankly: "It is a job for life."

She was speaking about the death of her father, King George VI, for a BBC TV documentary, Elizabeth R, marking the 40th anniversary of her accession.

"In a way I didn't have an apprenticeship. My father died much too young and so it was all very sudden ... taking on and making the best job you can," the Queen said.

"It's a question of maturing into something that one's got used to doing, and accepting the fact that it's your fate, because I think continuity is very important. It is a job for life.