The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Commoner

Does the Queen have friends?

(If this thread is mioved, please let me know the new location so that I can find it again and read the answers.)

Does the Queen know friendship?
Does she have a friend?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yes is the answer, I'm pretty sure at 86? she's known friendship in her life.

Also, if the thread is moved you can always find the new location by looking up all the threads you've created in your profile.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Majesty

The Queen has a number of close friends. In fact the closer the friend the less likely we are to hear about them as being a friend - that is one of the secrets of being a friend of The Queen - keep quiet about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Serene Highness

It is a very good question, and I am sure, she has some close friends. What can they do if they meet? Drink tea? Play cards? Play chess? Speak about gossips... ? As other old women? :))) ...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Oddly, I've read the comedienne Joan Rivers is very close friends with Her Majesty.

Queen Sonja of Norway is supposedly quite close as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Commoner

I heared about a former nanny of one of her children being a friend too, does someone know more?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Margaret Rhodes, who is a cousin, is a close personnel friend, as is Lady Susan Hussey ( lady in waiting and godmother to one of the children, Andrew I think). Also she has friends in the racing world, one of them being Lord Porchester who sadly died.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Courtier

One thing I can say for sure is..
The Queen's "best friend" is definitely not the one whom we/our favourite "media" guess basing on who moves close to her, or who gives more 'leads' to tabloid media, or someone who gets photographed more with her.
This celebrity-lifestyle-guessing-based-on-superficial-appearance atleast doesnt work in her case..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen has a number of close friends. In fact the closer the friend the less likely we are to hear about them as being a friend - that is one of the secrets of being a friend of The Queen - keep quiet about it.
Yes I totally agree. I would imagine her interests provide her with some close friendships from all walks of life. But when it comes to a confidante, I guess her best friend would be Phillip.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles said during his Diamond Jubilee tribute to his mother that up to the late 1960s, when security issues became too great, the Queen and her family went ashore in rural Northern Ireland while on their summer holiday on HMY Britannia to see a friend of hers with whom she had served in WWII.

So, HM had kept at least one friend from her ATS days and we knew absolutely nothing about it until Charles mentioned it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Good point!

I have heard of Margaret Rhodes. I believe she was also friends with one of Mountbatten's daughters. I think they were in Girl Guides together. She also kept up with some girls from her WWII service days as "Elizabeth Windsor."
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

MArgaret Rhodes at Sandringham church service this year - she was staying with the Queen

Margaret Rhodes Attends Sunday Service Along With Queen

The Mountbatten is Lady Brabourne

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I had read somewhere in one of her biographies that HM would sometimes go out to lunch with trusted friends or go to their homes for a relaxing evening there. I expect the latter venue offers a secure and private environment where she can relax and be herself. Who these friends are could very well be those already speculated on, though I'm sure not all of them may around now due to their ages.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately, at HM's age, her friends start to die off. Long may hers last
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I, believe, Margaret Rhodes, is her cousin.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Gentry

Her very best friend is probably the Duke of Edinburgh. :)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Courtier

I remember very well an article written about an American "pen-pal" that the Queen had since she was a teenager. This woman was invited to a speech the Queen gave while on an American tour years later. Papers commented that the Queen nodded her head in her direction at the time. I often wonder if they still correspond. If the American is still alive. Would be fun for someone to investigate. I do remember that this woman told the newspapers she had no comment to make on this personal and quaint friendship to a Queen. This story was made public by someone looking into why this unknown woman got a special seating to the Queen's speech. I believe this visit took place either in the 60s or 70s. Does anyone else remember?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I, believe, Margaret Rhodes, is her cousin.
You're absolutley right.

Margaret Rhodes is indeed HM's cousin. Her mother is Mary Elphinstone, Lady Elphinstone who was a sister of the Queen Mother. When Margaret was younger, she used to play with HM and during the war, she lived at Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace with George VI, The Queen Mother, HM and Princess Margaret. (I knew this before I read the Wikipedia article).

IMO they are friends, as Margaret's daughter Victoria is one of HM's godchildren.

You can read more here:
Margaret Rhodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Some of her friends have gone on but she still have some of her close circle of friends. She visit or stay at friends houses sometimes. She also invite many of them to Sandringham, Windosr and Balmoral.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
You're absolutley right.

Margaret Rhodes is indeed HM's cousin. Her mother is Mary Elphinstone, Lady Elphinstone who was a sister of the Queen Mother. When Margaret was younger, she used to play with HM and during the war, she lived at Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace with George VI, The Queen Mother, HM and Princess Margaret. (I knew this before I read the Wikipedia article).

IMO they are friends, as Margaret's daughter Victoria is one of HM's godchildren.

You can read more here:
Margaret Rhodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would even go as far to wager that Margaret Rhodes is not only the Queen's cousin but a very dear lifelong friend. Margaret recently published a book called "The Final Curtsey - A Royal Memoir" which gives insightful gimpses into Margaret's life with the Queen and the Queen Mother.

The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir: Margaret Rhodes: 9781780270852: Amazon.com: Books