The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Did the Queen act appropriately in the days following Diana's death?

I thought at first that she didn't but looking back I think she was trying to do the best thing - look after her grandsons. Over her life one of the few things she's been criticized for was her hands-off approach to motherhood. When she tried to be a hands-on grandmother in the days following Diana's death she was roundly criticized for not looking after her subjects.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Nobility

I watched the movie 'the queen' and considering her position and traditions of the past, I think she acted appropriately in the days after Diana's death.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM

I don't think it's up to anyone to judge the Queen's reaction. Really isn't anyone's business IMO. I think 10 years on people see behind the bangwagon jumping and hysteria and realise it was unfair for anyone to judge.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

the reason for my change of heart is largely to do with the fact that i have a daughter and understand more that children are the most important factor in any family decision. i wouldn't say that's jumping on the bandwagon so much as it's a better understanding of the emotions that were being felt.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Nobility

I think that is some ways she did and some ways she did not. I think that we must understand that is does not matter to the public what the Queen really thought about Diana, they wanted them to say and do something. I do not remember where I heard it, but I think Charles said something like we are dealing with the Diana that the public knew, not the Diana that we knew. I know about history and all, but I think that you sometimes have to do things that you do not like to do. I really felt bad for the Queen, she was in a bad spot.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe her primary duty was to William and Harry, so I believe she did the right thing staying at Balmoral. She could have made a brief statement from Balmoral though, expressing her sadness but stating the boys' needs were paramount. I could well be wrong but I think that if she had done that, the public anger might not have developed to the stage it did.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she did the best she could have done, which was within the range of how she did things. Things change and it took time and persuasion to seek the change. It is very hard to judge a person, when you do not have their personality or background. What is more interesting , is that 10 years later this is even a discussion. She did what she did, she has gone on and that is that.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
She could have made a brief statement from Balmoral though, expressing her sadness but stating the boys' needs were paramount. I could well be wrong but I think that if she had done that, the public anger might not have developed to the stage it did.
i think you're absolutely right. i wonder why that didn't occur to her or her advisers to do something like that?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think you're absolutely right. i wonder why that didn't occur to her or her advisers to do something like that?
Because "others" are not paramount in their lives.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think you're right, Roslyn, but I'm afraid that with the press looking to deflect public anger from itself and finding the royal family a useful alternative for that purpose, such a statement would have run a risk of being attacked on the grounds that the Queen was trying to use the princes to excuse her own responsibility and lack of grief; if the press had played their cards right, it could have backfired very nastily on the Queen.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think you're right, Roslyn, but I'm afraid that with the press looking to deflect public anger from itself and finding the royal family a useful alternative for that purpose, such a statement would have run a risk of being attacked on the grounds that the Queen was trying to use the princes to excuse her own responsibility and lack of grief; if the press had played their cards right, it could have backfired very nastily on the Queen.
Yes. I was forgetting the press. Her Majesty was in a very difficult position.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Gentry

Unfortunetly The Queen is and has always been in a "damned if you do damned if you don't" position....she is always going to piss of someone no matter what she does, but I'm still appalled at the public's reaction to what she did. How dare people assume that their grief is more painful than the gried of a child losing his mother? How can you honestly demand that a family come and comfort you when there are children there that have lost their mother? I don't care how much you "thought" you loved Diana, the fact of the matter is that you didn't know her personally. She wasn't your mother, she wasn't your family member, sure she may have had an emotional impact on your life, you may have cared about her, but again, how can you assume that you cared more about her than her children did? It would be like me demanding that a distant cousin come and comfort me because I'm grieving for her mother, that I've never met, and only seen in pictures, and only heard on TV. I don't understand how people can claim more attachment to a woman than her own children can. Especially when said children were obviously very close to their mother. It makes no sense.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Considering The Era in which she came of Age yes I Belive She acted As she shouldve at the time Plus their were her Grandsons to consider I Can also Safetly say Probably no one in my Family would agree with me lol :P
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Nobility

In his prewedding interview, Prince Edward made a comment on his reaction to the death of Princess Diana. My interpretation of his choice of words and his body language validated I was in disagreement with his perspective of Diana.

Which leads me to believe Diana's carefully crafted and much edited presence created by her handlers was radically different than the truth of her relationship to the royal family.

To place my standards and "shoulds" on the action of the royals that week is to miss out on the very strong message they were sending. They were not going to be bullied into honoring the Diana we knew, but were reacting with surprising honesty to the Diana they knew.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe Her Majesty acted appropriately. It wasn't in her nature to become overly riddled with grief. I would imagine quite a lot was going on with regards to William and Harry. If you remember their brief "walkabout" at Balmoral they met a lot of the greivers. I would think that Her Majesty and Prince Philip and Charles were all trying to prepare them for this unfortunate event. They were quite thrusted into the public eye and aquited themselves wonderfully. I don't doubt that The Queen had much to do with that.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

when i saw the movie The Queen it made me love her even more and understand what she went through during the death of diana at one point in the movie queen broke her suv and called help then started to cry and to me that was touch because she isnt prefect she is HUMAN and she was doing what she thought was best. Now Diana was not a princess anymore even through she kept the title after her divorce which i thought that she should have gone back to Lady Diana i mean she was not a royal anymore she was married into the royal family but once she divorced Prince Charles she wasnt part of the royal family anymore even though she is the mother of the future king of england. Diana wasnt a royal anymore at the time of her death so thats why the queen with the flag the royal standerd is only for members of the royal family.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

The press crucified her, but The Queen handled it as best she could, given the terrible tragedy of her two young grandsons losing their mother prematurely. That had to be her primary concern.

I also do not believe HM was not mourning the loss of Diana. Sarah Ferguson made it clear later that the entire royal family was "shattered" by Diana's death. She certainly is no friend of the royals, given the treatment she has endured.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM

A line from the movie The Queen expresses my opinion about this. The character for Tony Blair said: "There's something nasty about the way everyone is bullying her."
I remember feeling at the time that it seemed harsh to be pressuring the royal family so much after such a terrible shock of a tragedy. Everyone was in shock, and above all, the royal family was. It wasn't fair how the press went about (and how the public followed suit) treating them. Unfortunately, these nasty shocks in life often bring out the worst in people.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Nobility

We really don't have to agree with the reaction of the royal family. Diana meant something to us and she meant something different to them. Her Majesty's relationship with Diana, in the words of Lady Mountbatten, was "strained". It would have been "nice" for the public to have been thanked through a Palace issued statement for the thoughts and prayer for the young princes. The silence gave way to too much speculation. Even Downing Street could have stepped in and asked the public to allow a respectful amount of time and space for the royals to come to grips with such an enormous calamity. Her Majesty was saddled with a heavy load.....and had to shoulder this on her own...(it seemed to us at the time).

I accept and respect the notion the royal family has a facade for the public and choose to express themselves in deeper emotion in private.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Well that makes sense, doesn't it Pinkie? They are so, SO very public, they haven't much got anything of their OWN to really OWN. Emotions should belong to THEM.

Tags
balmoral, buckingham palace, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, tabloid press, tony blair