The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
On a personal note, I believe the Queen acted first and foremost as a Grandmother, and a damned fine on at that!
I agree. She had her priorities right. I think it was one of her finest hours.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Nobility

Oh yeah, sure, that's why I have not said that she did wrong or right at all, however I think the movie was a good adaption to reallity.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

I think that the reaction of the Queen after Princess Diana died was totally inappropriate. I think that the queen was forced to make the speech that she did when she finally got back to Buckingham Palace. I also think that the queen took to look to get back to the palace to address her subjects & I'm sorry, but the queen deserved the negative backlash/critism that she received. Also, I don't think that the queen ever liked how Diana was more modern than she was & feeling like Diana didn't toe the line of keeping everything private & behind palace doors.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalass209 View Post
I think that the reaction of the Queen after Princess Diana died was totally inappropriate. I think that the queen was forced to make the speech that she did when she finally got back to Buckingham Palace. I also think that the queen took to look to get back to the palace to address her subjects & I'm sorry, but the queen deserved the negative backlash/critism that she received. Also, I don't think that the queen ever liked how Diana was more modern than she was & feeling like Diana didn't toe the line of keeping everything private & behind palace doors.

So let me get this clear.

A grandmother has her grandsons staying with her for part of their school holidays, with their father, who is divorced from their mother. They get word that the mother of the grandsons has been killed in a car accident.

You believe that the grandmother should leave the grandsons to go back to work. You have made that absolutely clear in your post - that grandmother has to return to work and not spend 5 days with her grandsons.

I most certainly don't. Like everyone else I know I believe that family comes first and that in those circumstances the grandmother should take time off from work to assist her grandsons to come to terms with the loss of their beloved mother (regardless of how the grandmother felt about said mother of grandchildren). The fact that the grandmother's employers had heard lots of things about the mother and liked her doesn't give them the right to demand that the grandmother should leave her grandsons. Most employers would respect the grandmother's need to be with her grandsons in those circumstances - unless the employers are the British public.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well put.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Majesty

Excellent post, Iluvbertie. Everyone was saying "those poor boys", but many (whipped up by the media, I believe) were also saying, "In spite of those children just having lost their mother, we demand that their grandmother leave them in order to make us feel better."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Like everyone else I know I believe that family comes first and that in those circumstances the grandmother should take time off from work to assist her grandsons to come to terms with the loss of their beloved mother (regardless of how the grandmother felt about said mother of grandchildren). The fact that the grandmother's employers had heard lots of things about the mother and liked her doesn't give them the right to demand that the grandmother should leave her grandsons. Most employers would respect the grandmother's need to be with her grandsons in those circumstances - unless the employers are the British public.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Nobility

To reply to White Princess:Yes, tradition sometimes becomes outmoded, yet tradition is an important part of royalty, a very important part. I think Diana was outside tradition so it was hard to fit her into tradition- she was outside it, and it was hard to see how to respond to her death officially ( for the Royal Family) and it was also hard to know what kind of funeral to give her. The RF naturally go with tradition first, that's an essential part of them. But, the movie is fictional.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Did the Queen act in an appropriate way after Diana died? I'd say yes and no because obviously her bereaved grandsons had to take precedence but I think a statement from Balmoral would have been nice. Her speech on the eve of Diana's funeral did much to alleviate public anger over the way the public perceived the way Diana had been treated.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

She did what she could , Did what she had to do Its Adimirable she stayed with her Grandsons, and besides Diana in spite of everything didnt always make things easy for thats MHO (i mean no offense)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I personally think, the Queen acted right in those days! At that time I may have thought different, but today I must say, nearly everything was correct. Today I don't understand, why there was this fight with the flag. Its the protocol, the flag never is at half mast... And her speech was good, but she was more forced to it because of the public opinion. So, it wouldn't been necessary IMO (but of course it was needed at that time).
Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Majesty

Well said Dierna23, you managed to sum up the whole crazy, wierd situation as it was, and as it should have been, with 20 20 hindsight!

I think a lot of people look back an say "whatever was I thinking? Was I even thinking at all?".
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

The only place I thought HM strayed into inappropriate, was the Sunday right after Diana died, when she instructed the officiant at the church not to add Diana to the prayers, when asked. It would, IMHO, have been the correct thing to do for her grandsons who were in attendance that day.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
The only place I thought HM strayed into inappropriate, was the Sunday right after Diana died, when she instructed the officiant at the church not to add Diana to the prayers, when asked. It would, IMHO, have been the correct thing to do for her grandsons who were in attendance that day.
IMO, its a bit difficult to criticise somebody without having the true and full facts to hand, which are not in the public domain.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
...but I think a statement from Balmoral would have been nice.
There was.
See this post by wbenson. The link is now expired but the quote remains.
Similarly, here from MSN:
Quote:
...issuing a statement expressing its grief...
Probably because of the general sense of shock and emphasis on the car crash itself, many of the sidelights were overlooked or soon forgotten.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, its a bit difficult to criticise somebody without having the true and full facts to hand, which are not in the public domain.
There were others in attendance at the church that day. Diana was not mentioned at the service. Those in attendance were widely quoted saying Harry had asked, 'Are you sure Mummy's dead?' at the church. I have bolded the relevant parts for you below.

I quote from 'Diana:The Last Year' by Donald Spoto page 180: "A curious set of instructions were issued, from no less a person than Her Majesty the Queen. No newspapers were to be permitted at Balmoral untill further notice; televisions and radios were not to be turned on; and Diana was not to be mentioned at all in Royal Precincts. The Queen further ordered that at the church services they were about to attend, the name of the Princess of Wales was not to be heard in prayers for the dead.... Wiliam and Harry doubtless dazed and not yet fully aware of the loss, which would of course need time to be absorbed - arrived at the church with their father and, when Diana was not mentioned, turned to Charles and asked "Are you sure Mummy is dead?" '
Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I looked it up on youtube...you can see the BBC News coverage of 'The Death of Princess Diana part 1' from 31 August 1997 here which states that the Princess was not mentioned at the church service at Balmoral in the prayer for the dead, which her children attended. BBC News qualifies as the public domain, I should think?
*edit* ackkk....The link isn't working, go to youtube and type in the info...it should come right up

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that the Queen acted the only way she knew how and was protecting her family. I do agree with earlier statements that The Royal family and the public were mourning two different Diana's. I do have to say that I think that this was a very tricking time for the Queen considering that Diana was no longer a member of the royal family.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There were others in attendance at the church that day. Diana was not mentioned at the service. Those in attendance were widely quoted saying Harry had asked, 'Are you sure Mummy's dead?' at the church. I have bolded the relevant parts for you below.

I quote from 'Diana:The Last Year' by Donald Spoto page 180: "A curious set of instructions were issued, from no less a person than Her Majesty the Queen. No newspapers were to be permitted at Balmoral untill further notice; televisions and radios were not to be turned on; and Diana was not to be mentioned at all in Royal Precincts. The Queen further ordered that at the church services they were about to attend, the name of the Princess of Wales was not to be heard in prayers for the dead.... Wiliam and Harry doubtless dazed and not yet fully aware of the loss, which would of course need time to be absorbed - arrived at the church with their father and, when Diana was not mentioned, turned to Charles and asked "Are you sure Mummy is dead?" '

This makes it clear that she wanted to control what was said around the boys in the early days and that is a good, caring grandmother. Maybe prayers could have been said but that was a couple of hours later and they weren't totally sure how the boys were handling things. She simply wanted to help the boys cope - maybe she made a wrong decision on the church issue but what grandmother (or other person) hasn't made one error in judgement when dealing with a death in the family.

Her first priority was her grandsons and these very instructions show that that is who she was concerned about. Remember that there are many people employed at Balmoral so the princes could have overheard a staff member making a negative comment about their mother in those days so by placing a total ban she controlled the conversations the boys heard and had about their mother.

I feel sure that the boys could talk about their mother to whomever they wanted at that time, but others were barred from doing so for the sake of the boys.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She simply wanted to help the boys cope - maybe she made a wrong decision on the church issue but what grandmother (or other person) hasn't made one error in judgement when dealing with a death in the family.
I agree. And I think, this church service was a private occasion. So she may not have assumed, that the press would bring it to the light?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Queen further ordered that at the church services they were about to attend,the name of the Princess of Wales was not to be heard in prayers for the dead...'
Prayers for the dead are not said at Sunday service in the Church of Scotland, so how could HM have ordered that she not be mentioned?????????

Closed Thread

Tags
balmoral, buckingham palace, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, tabloid press, tony blair