Did the Queen act appropriately in the days following Diana's death?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the press not pushed the agenda about blaming the Queen, I think that people would still have been sad; but there might not have been the bitterness expressed toward the Royal Family.

Exactly, the British press showed the world had manipulative and cowardly it could be that week. I remember seeing video footage years ago of a man who was among other mourners and he yelled at a cameraman and said you killed our Princess. Sadly the Queen and the BRF was the escape goat for the press.

It was not a mob mentality. It was a large scale outpouring of grief, because flawed as she was, many many people loved Diana. Indeed, no one has to be perfect to be loved.

I agree Mermaid, King of Scotland, and sirhon. It was like mob mentality mixed with group hysteria over something that did not concern them on a personal level. Yes be sad that Diana is dead; but wth is with getting angry at the queen who did nothing wrong except try to protect her grandsons. People were in such a rush to blame somebody whether it be the photographers who actually killed her, Charles, his mother etc. If the English people were mass manipulated into turning against the queen that is sad on two fronts; one for the queen and two that the people in charge of mass media have that much power over people.

Stop with the "mob mentality" phrase. It has been parsed around, after Diana's death, by the pro Charles, I married my misstress, so what group.
No, only a mob would be so sick as to demand to be "part of the family", weep, beat their chests and, courtesy of the media, point fingers at the Queen and the BRF. Worse, their demand to have the boys back in London was selfish and their need to see them grief stricken, sick!
Diana is dead. When she died it was shocking. She was young and beautiful. She was foolish. She married Charles.
All facts in evidence.
The BRF hated her. The queen was stuck with a conundrum.
Whoa there. Reference please! And a credible one at that!
Tony Blair and Charles seemed to have the right instincts. The BRF never thought that anyone, but them would have these feelings expressed by others. Diana shocked the queen, who never really saw her value, from the beginning. Too bad, she might have made a difference.
Tony Blair was a politician who, according to wiki, "is acknowledged by most[who?] to be a highly skillful media performer who comes over as charismatic, informal, and articulate" but references to he and Charles having the right instincts please.

The rest is pure personal animus unrelated to anything the Queen did or did not do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time in her reign the Queen put family before duty and she was criticized for it. I think it was the right decision but the press couldnt see it, they demanded a story. Would any of you, in the same position, have paraded your grandchildren in public to fulfill the desires of strangers and the press or would you want to shelter and protect them while they dealt with their own personal grief?
There was a mobbed mentality, genuine grief perhaps but whipped to a frenzy by the press. When I watched the funeral it reminded me of when Elvis died. Today I think a lot of British people are embarressed by the overflow of emotions that were displayed on the streets of London.

Please note that non relevant posts that have nothing to do with The Queen in regards to Diana's death have been deleted as off topic.

Last edited:
I fear I'm going to be a little controversial, but, just like Britain's geography, it's not helpful to describe "Britain" and "the British" as a homogeneous country.

My allusion to Scotland is such a case in point.

Some people in the South of the UK have different values and habits than, say, Scots in the Highlands.

Some people of London may well have found the spectacle at the Palace embarassing or unnecessary whilst others felt in their element.

Who's to know which is - or isn't - the "correct" stance to take ??
Nobody, I fear.

I find it disconcerting that people in general expected the Queen and the immediate Royal family to pretend that they were heartbroken and in mourning over Diana's death, why would they be?

Yes, her children would be and yes, the Royal family should be loving and supportive towards them, that goes without question.

Diana DID NOT like or care for the Royal family and the real truth is the Royal family did not like or care for her and I would think that would be especially true for the Queen.

Diana was a huge carbuncle on their Royal posterior area and a very painful one at that. I am certain that the Queen and the rest of the Royal family felt a huge relief when the divorce was final and NO, I don't think they shed a tear at her death. I don't think Diana would have shed a tear at one of their deaths either.

Why do people demand that others act in a hypocritical way? What useful purpose does it serve other than pretense?

From what I have read the Queen did not hate Diana. If anything it seems that she might have had genuine feelings of sadness at her death, second only to Charles. Philip, Margaret, Anne, the Queen Mother on the other hand probably didn't feel much grief because they were the one's who disliked her the most. And in regards to Margaret, I believe she only jumped off the Diana ship late into the game. The Queen liked Diana and genuinely tried to help her and stand up for her, it was only after certain incidences that she finally just gave up.

I am so sorry, I really don't mean to be rude, but it has been -what- 15 or so years now since this happened? Isn't it time to put this subject to rest? PLEASE?:)

I also didn't think Margaret hated Diana. They were fairly close (or on good terms) and like many others, Margaret only wrote Diana off (so to speak) after the Morton book and the television interview. Same with Prince Phillip (if the tone of his personal letters) is anything to go by.

From what I read the Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown, and Diana by Sarah Bradford.
Diana's relationships with Charles, the Queen, and Prince Phillip greatly improved by Diana's death to the point that both Charles and the Queen sent flowers to Diana on her last birthday. Diana and Anne didn't really seem particularly close because they didn't have much in common so I read. She did get along with Edward and Andrew and some members of the extended family.
IMO TRF seemed genuinely sad and shocked by her death. They certainly weren't taking delight that she was killed.

One does NOT have to generate and feel the emotion of hate in order not to like someone or care for them. I never said that any member of the Royal family hated Diana, though I do suspect that Charles and Diana did arrive at that status in their relationship. Now did they resolve and ease into a benign state of neutrality? I don't know and I don't think anyone else does either.

Let us not forget that the Royal family and Diana did engage in a Press war for years, with the Royal family often finding themselves on the losing end of the situation. I don't think that would engender positive feelings for Diana from the Royal family, do you?

While I remember reading that Margaret is reported to have told Charles during their divorce that she did intend to remain on friendly terms with Diana, I also remember reading that after Morton's book, that totally changed and she cut off contact with her.

I am not attributing anything negative towards Diana or the Royal family, simply saying that it seems logical to me that neither had warm and cordial feelings towards the other side.

One does NOT have to generate and feel the emotion of hate in order not to like someone or care for them. I never said that any member of the Royal family hated Diana, though I do suspect that Charles and Diana did arrive at that status in their relationship. Now did they resolve and ease into a benign state of neutrality? I don't know and I don't think anyone else does either.

Let us not forget that the Royal family and Diana did engage in a Press war for years, with the Royal family often finding themselves on the losing end of the situation. I don't think that would engender positive feelings for Diana from the Royal family, do you?

While I remember reading that Margaret is reported to have told Charles during their divorce that she did intend to remain on friendly terms with Diana, I also remember reading that after Morton's book, that totally changed and she cut off contact with her.

I am not attributing anything negative towards Diana or the Royal family, simply saying that it seems logical to me that neither had warm and cordial feelings towards the other side.

I can only speak for myself, but I spoke of the perceived relationship between Diana Princess Margaret and Prince Phillip based on your initial post, of which I bolded.

I find it disconcerting that people in general expected the Queen and the immediate Royal family to pretend that they were heartbroken and in mourning over Diana's death, why would they be?

Yes, her children would be and yes, the Royal family should be loving and supportive towards them, that goes without question.

Diana DID NOT like or care for the Royal family and the real truth is the Royal family did not like or care for her and I would think that would be especially true for the Queen.

Diana was a huge carbuncle on their Royal posterior area and a very painful one at that. I am certain that the Queen and the rest of the Royal family felt a huge relief when the divorce was final and NO, I don't think they shed a tear at her death. I don't think Diana would have shed a tear at one of their deaths either.

Why do people demand that others act in a hypocritical way? What useful purpose does it serve other than pretense?

For the record, I didn't ask you to provide any sources to support your statement that Diana didn't like members of the BRF as this is not the correct thread, as this just relates to the Queen's reaction to Diana's death and the public perception. If you wish to discuss Diana's relationship with other members of the BRF, we can do so here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...her-members-of-the-royal-family-13095-12.html

Last edited:
I am so sorry, I really don't mean to be rude, but it has been -what- 15 or so years now since this happened? Isn't it time to put this subject to rest? PLEASE?:)

The answer is: it will never be 'put to rest' because it all relates to historical events with very public personages. There are threads here that are debating Czarina Alexandra of Russia and her value to the Russian Imperial Family - issues over a hundred years old. Fifteen years is nothing in that scheme of things. Charles and Diana, the Queen and Diana, Diana's death - will be discussed from here on out with no end.

The personal solution is to not come on a thread like this - but for some (like myself) its an important conversation to have with other like-minded folks - or like interested - because there is a lot to consider about it all. My opinion.

As people still debate the life of many figures in history, going back much longer than 15 years, no it isn't time to put it to rest.

In 150 years, in 1500 years and even more Diana will still be debated - like Cleopatra, Anne Boleyn, etc Diana has passed into history but historians have to have something to discuss and that is what they do - debate past events and people and that now includes Diana.

Yes Diana does form a very significant part of modern day British history. Her life and death has led to the turning point of many events that will continue to affect the British monarchy for many years to come. She was also the Mother of the future heir to the throne.

Last edited:
Zonk - thanks for the link !

If one wanted to compare Diana with other historical figures, there is already a prototype - Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire.

September 6 marked the 14th anniversary of the public funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales and it is now 5 years since the release of the film "The Queen" which focused on the Queen's reactions to her death.

The moderators consider that the topic has been fully explored. Rather than have a repetitive discussion the thread is now closed.
If any revelations appear in the media concerning the Queen's attitude and actions during the fraught week of 31 August - 6 September 1997 the thread may be reopened for further discussion.

Warren
for the British Forums moderators

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom