The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

There still is a lot of anger 11 years later.......

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There was a lot of misplaced anger during the week after the crash IMO.
I think the whole thing showed the power of the media, how easily people can be controlled by them. I remember when the news was first coming from Paris journalists were outside one of the palaces, Kensington I think, and as taxis and cars were passing them they were shouting out at them - calling them murders etc. A few days later all the news was about was why don't the Royal Family come back to London, why is there no flag flying at half mast over Buckingham Palace - the media had turned the whole thing around so very quickly and people just ate it up.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
There still is a lot of anger 11 years later.......
Would you call it anger? I think a lot of it is frustration, a beautiful Princess dies young and tragically in a car wreck. I think the frustration leaked out everywhere, even though, IMO, I think HM did the best she could under the circumstances.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM

i think she did. diana was divorced from charles. the state had no obligations over diana. on the other hand, diana was the mother of her grandchildren and a royal (or former royal), so the queen acted accordingly in the end.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen did, the people didn´t.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

The posts discussing "Diana the icon" have been moved to the Diana's Legacy thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

I think the problem at the time was that people were (and still are) so used to seeing the Queen in her public and formal role as the Monarch they found it hard to literally imagine her as a simple grandma in her private life consoling her grandchildren. What would people have said if she had flown down to London straightaway day and left her grandchildren on their own with just afew flunkies to console them? For the British people it was all a very shocking and confusing time not helped by a few editors who suddenly found themselves able to print ultra-sensational rubbish on the back of a national tragedy. One newspaper had the headline "Where is the Queen, where is her flag?". Such panic stricken rubbish could easily be answered by the fact that the Queen was obviously in Scotland and her flag was on top of Balmoral! As if a flag would bring Diana back!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I think the problem at the time was that people were (and still are) so used to seeing the Queen in her public and formal role as the Monarch they found it hard to literally imagine her as a simple grandma in her private life consoling her grandchildren.
I think you're right. She does her job very well and most people only see the public Elizabeth and not the private one. I guess she was going to get attack in the press in whatever she did. But I wonder what would have happen if she had done things diffrently.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

The tabloid editors were desperate to find anything to deflect the anti-paparazzi feeling that had arisen immediately after Diana's death. Remember Earl Spencer's "blood on their hands" statement from South Africa? I bet the editors did, very clearly.

Fleet Street/Wapping would have just as quickly turned their attention to the heartless and uncaring grandmother who had abandoned her distraught grandsons in the wilds of Scotland while she pandered to the crowds in London. Instead of "Why aren't you with your people?" screaming headlines, it would have been "Why aren't you with the boys?"
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Commoner

So she was just doomed. Rather whether the storm with family.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
The Queen did, the people didn´t.
Very succinct Menarue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Fleet Street/Wapping would have just as quickly turned their attention to the heartless and uncaring grandmother who had abandoned her distraught grandsons in the wilds of Scotland while she pandered to the crowds in London. Instead of "Why aren't you with your people?" screaming headlines, it would have been "Why aren't you with the boys?"
Sad but true Warren. I admire her for recognising she was in a no-win situation and making the right decision.

Once the media stirred the pot all the old angers and resentements seem to come to the fore all the while neglecting to cover the care and protection she gave her grandsons in their hour of need. Truth to tell, I think the whole affair became an evil juggernaut. No one could imagine the devastation it could or would cause.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino01 View Post
So she was just doomed. Rather whether the storm with family.
I have to take away my statement because I just don't feel that she did the right thing. Traditionally, yes, but the right thing no. I think if she would have said something from Balmoral along the lines of "I am being a grandmother first, the children need looking after" I don't think the public backlash would have been that harsh.

And also, I feel that the media couldn't have stirred something up if there wasn't anything to stir up in the first place. Charles knew her death was going to be huge, Tony Blair knew her death was going to be huge. It seems that only Buckingham Palace thought that people would just say, "She was good, she was a mother, let's move on." President Clinton honored her, Nelson Mandala honored her and yet the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family went on as if nothing had happened. Let us not forget that Harry once asked his father in church, when there was no mention of Diana, "Are you sure mummys dead?"

Now, this is all assumption, as you can see, but I just had to say it. I think this is becoming one of those "Let's agree to disagree" kind of thing.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I actually do find myself agreeing with you in a sense, because as I recall the only official statement in the early part of that week (correct me if I'm wrong) from the palace was on the day Diana died when confirming the death and saying how shocked etc the Queen and PoW were. Some further recognition or confirmation from Balmoral using meaningful words during that week would have been welcome. Silence is not always the best policy. I have to say as a general principal, it would be useful if statements and announcements from the palace were a little more noteworthy than just a couple of lines cobbled together from a list of standard sentances (if that's what they do!)
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino01 View Post
And also, I feel that the media couldn't have stirred something up if there wasn't anything to stir up in the first place. Charles knew her death was going to be huge, Tony Blair knew her death was going to be huge. It seems that only Buckingham Palace thought that people would just say, "She was good, she was a mother, let's move on." President Clinton honored her, Nelson Mandala honored her and yet the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family went on as if nothing had happened. Let us not forget that Harry once asked his father in church, when there was no mention of Diana, "Are you sure mummys dead?"
I very much doubt that anyone at that time thought or knew(?) her death was going to be 'huge'. Nor do I think anyone said/thought she was good, she was a mother etc, the immediate family would have been too busy coping with the grief of their sons. Blair just saw a chance to earn some Brownie points with the public, after the media started it's wind up.

You seem to be mistaking sayings/quotes from the film and/or books as facts, they are not as far as we know, since nobody concerned, (HM or Harry) have made statements.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps Harry and HM have not made a statement, however, Harry asking the question 'Are you sure Mummy's dead?' was overheard by other parishoners in the church who then spoke to the media.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Perhaps Harry and HM have not made a statement, however, Harry asking the question 'Are you sure Mummy's dead?' was overheard by other parishoners in the church who then spoke to the media.
That's the problem scooter, but I am sure you will help me out, I can't find any source to back that up.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

OK, I'll have a look....I have not been to the Diana Bookcase for a while :-)
Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
OK, I'll have a look....I have not been to the Diana Bookcase for a while :-)
Thank you.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Having sat in that Church with HM present during a service, I doubt very much that, if he did say anything like that, he could have been overheard.

The Royal party sit to one side of the Church, away from the rest of the congregation. As the Church is in the traditional shape of a cross, they sit in the right hand "arm" of the cross, to the side & slightly in front of the altar, but there is a gap between those seats and the rest of the congregation.

Only known locals are allowed in the closest seats - the front few rows, at right angles to the Royal pews. Any "casual" visitor unknown to the Church Wardens is guided and restricted to sitting around half-way back in the body of the Church, and therefore the Family would have been distanced from the kind of stranger who may be indiscreet. The locals would rather strangle their granny than let slip any unguarded royal words...
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Commoner

I was reading Diana by Sarah Bradford and it said that Tony Blair knew that "this was going to be an outpouring greif". Also, if you were to read to the next page you will see that tiny litte story of Harry asking his father if his mother was dead.
If the Royal Family came out and acknowledged that Harry said that I think it would make them look quite foolish. But we are getting off track here and I will try to steer us back to it.
I don't think she (The Queen) was bullied. She overruled senior courtiers in staying at Balmoral. HM was not in London to see the outpouring of greif for Diana, Princess of Wales. I think a perfect quote was from a journalist in the documentary titled "The Windsors". He said "there was simply something in the air. Like when a football team loses. There was a way this could go that could involved riots." She really wasn't bullied until Tony Blair said "Look, you have to come down here. There is no other choice. The country is crying and need their Queen." Of course he didn't say that, but I think that is what it was summed up to.

Tags
balmoral, buckingham palace, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, tabloid press, tony blair