Did the Queen act appropriately in the days following Diana's death?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roslyn, the point I was trying to make was that we see both scenarios quoted as validation for what the Queen/RF did or didn't do. On the one hand, the RF was grieving and therefore they were too upset to do this or that and, on the other, there was no reason for them to do this or that because she had no longer been a member of the family. It just seems to be an attempt to justify certain actions, or the lack thereof, from every angle.

Marg, you may not agree with what I've said or approve of the source, but people were quoted in the book and in all these years we have yet to hear a flat out denial. Surely someone would have gotten to the 'truth' by now if it were wholly inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marg, you may not agree with what I've said or approve of the source, but people were quoted in the book and in all these years we have yet to hear a flat out denial.

Salon Media Circus | Diana: One year later, still dead

Buckingham Palace has denounced the story as a "complete fantasy," along with everything else in Andersen's opus, adding that the royal family will be treating the book "with the contempt it deserves" as the anniversary of Diana's death approaches.

I've seen a lot of quotes, and a lot that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. David Icke says the Queen is a lizard. Lyndon LaRouche says she's a major international drug trafficker. I think they're both quacks, and as far as I know, the palace has never directly denied either of those allegations. That shouldn't be taken as an indication of truth.

Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they. I'd like to hear the nurse's account from her own lips. He/she does not have a PR agenda.

Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they.

So no denial is an indication of truth, and a denial is an indication of a cover-up? And if it's true (a big if, IMO), it's hardly an indication of coldness or an unfeeling monarchy. When people die, the possessions they have are usually collected somewhere. Inquiring about that stuff at some point is hardly amazing. When my uncle died, my father had to go to the police station to get the things he had on him when he crashed his car.

If Diana and the RF had remained on good terms, no one would have questioned their staying in Balmoral.

Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they. I'd like to hear the nurse's account from her own lips. He/she does not have a PR agenda.
Don't you think it odd that the 'nurse' is not named? :ermm:

Stranger still, why the 'nurse' was not asked to attend the inquest? :ohmy:

Even more strange that all this didn't come out with all the rest of the dirty linen at the Inquisition, sorry, Inquest? :whistling:

I agree Marg especially the part about the nurse not being asked to attend the inquest.
Unfortunately there are always deluded people who want to hang on to a fantasy at all costs.

SNIPPED- As well as whatever sadness they felt about the fact of Diana's death, I'm sure that HM and the Duke and Charles felt intense anguish and pain seeing the boys suffer and, quite rightly IMNSHO, felt compelled to give priority to helping William and Harry cope with their pain and loss.
Well said Roslyn, their priorities were indeed the two boys, part of their family.:flowers:
For all the truly awful things said about how the Queen behaved after the death of Diana, not one credible source is/has been given about any of her actions or conversations with any of the aforementioned "sources".
Absolutely. :flowers:
So no denial is an indication of truth, and a denial is an indication of a cover-up?
Why let the facts get in the way?

I agree Marg especially the part about the nurse not being asked to attend the inquest.

Unfortunately there are always deluded people who want to hang on to a fantasy at all costs.
Like the Anna Anderson subject. . . .???? :whistling:
Couldn't resist! :D
HM has always been about consistency and has always been solid. When there has been ANY crisis to the United Kingdom, she has always been there and always has been unshakable.
Even her address to her people after Diana's death is comforting and solid. Strong. I really think HM got a bad rap for being accused as being cold.
I apologize, this is the only one I could find:
YouTube - Diana Princess of Wales tribute

HM has always been about consistency and has always been solid. When there has been ANY crisis to the United Kingdom, she has always been there and always has been unshakable.

Consistency? Over her life one of the few things she's been criticized for was her hands-off approach to motherhood. The queen always put duty before motherhood, or grandmother hood. Why change her consistent behavior when it is suitable all of a sudden. The public ain't as stupid as some like to think.

There could have been a brief statement made at Balmoral and then she could have stayed their indefinitely. The silence was not appropriate.

msleiman said:
................but I think Charles said something like we are dealing with the Diana that the public knew, not the Diana that we knew.

I think the Diana that Charles knew was not the real Diana. The Diana Charles knew was one that was reacting to his continuous provocation and infidelity.

pinkie40 said:
In his prewedding interview, Prince Edward made a comment on his reaction to the death of Princess Diana. My interpretation of his choice of words and his body language validated I was in disagreement with his perspective of Diana.

Prince Edward once said after Diana was killed was that he was surprised it took so long -- after she lost her HRH and thus royal protection.

Russophile said:
It wasn't in her nature to become overly riddled with grief.

I guess she could still shed a tear for the death of many unknowns on 9/11.

There could have been a brief statement made at Balmoral and then she could have stayed their indefinitely.

You mean, something about how they're deeply shocked and distressed at the terrible news?

If a statement like that would have been made, people would have yelled "hypocrites" at the top of their lungs! :bang: I honestly don't think that the Queen could have done anything that week to make people happier. A young, popular woman died; and someone had to be blamed.

You mean, something about how they're deeply shocked and distressed at the terrible news?

If a statement like that would have been made, people would have yelled "hypocrites" at the top of their lungs!

It was made. Within hours of the announcement of Diana's death, IIRC.

CNN - World reacts in shock, grief to Diana's death - Aug. 31, 1997

Britain's royal family and leaders from around the world reacted with shock and sadness Sunday as they learned of Princess Diana's pre-dawn death after a car crash in Paris. Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales said they were "deeply shocked and distressed by this terrible news."

I guess she could still shed a tear for the death of many unknowns on 9/11.
That's not my quote.

And to address your statement about the Queen putting duty above motherhood, very few people are, or have been, in the position that HM has been in in this world. I think it unfair to accuse her being a cold mother--even though I have read numerous bio.'s on the RF that "said" she was--because of her duty. She feels, she cares, she loves, just like everybody else. Her job, however, is to lead a nation. And I applaud her for that. She has made the best of her situation and she has been solid like a rock. Would you or I do half as well were we in that situation?

I think the Diana that Charles knew was not the real Diana...... SNIPPED... after she lost her HRH and thus royal protection.
Charles and his family were more likely to know the real Diana, than those who have only read about her or seen her for a few minutes in the street or on the TV!

Diana, against advice refused Royal Protection when the boys were not with her, her decision!

Not a very intelligent decision either as it turned out. What a strange thing to say Zhontella. Charles didn´t know the real Diana? Who did then?

Not a very intelligent decision either as it turned out. What a strange thing to say Zhontella. Charles didn´t know the real Diana? Who did then?
Did Diana know who Diana was??
She seemed to be searching an awful lot at the end there. . . .

Yes, dispensing with her protection officers was her decision. Spending vacation time with the Fayeds was her decision as well. The tragedy on that Paris night due to her decision and her decision alone. She wasn't kidnapped and forced into that car. There was a lot of misplaced anger during the week after the crash IMO.

Diana, against advice refused Royal Protection when the boys were not with her, her decision!

There still is a lot of anger 11 years later.......

There was a lot of misplaced anger during the week after the crash IMO.
I think the whole thing showed the power of the media, how easily people can be controlled by them. I remember when the news was first coming from Paris journalists were outside one of the palaces, Kensington I think, and as taxis and cars were passing them they were shouting out at them - calling them murders etc. A few days later all the news was about was why don't the Royal Family come back to London, why is there no flag flying at half mast over Buckingham Palace - the media had turned the whole thing around so very quickly and people just ate it up.

There still is a lot of anger 11 years later.......
Would you call it anger? I think a lot of it is frustration, a beautiful Princess dies young and tragically in a car wreck. I think the frustration leaked out everywhere, even though, IMO, I think HM did the best she could under the circumstances.

i think she did. diana was divorced from charles. the state had no obligations over diana. on the other hand, diana was the mother of her grandchildren and a royal (or former royal), so the queen acted accordingly in the end.

The Queen did, the people didn´t.

I think the problem at the time was that people were (and still are) so used to seeing the Queen in her public and formal role as the Monarch they found it hard to literally imagine her as a simple grandma in her private life consoling her grandchildren. What would people have said if she had flown down to London straightaway day and left her grandchildren on their own with just afew flunkies to console them? For the British people it was all a very shocking and confusing time not helped by a few editors who suddenly found themselves able to print ultra-sensational rubbish on the back of a national tragedy. One newspaper had the headline "Where is the Queen, where is her flag?". Such panic stricken rubbish could easily be answered by the fact that the Queen was obviously in Scotland and her flag was on top of Balmoral! As if a flag would bring Diana back!

I think the problem at the time was that people were (and still are) so used to seeing the Queen in her public and formal role as the Monarch they found it hard to literally imagine her as a simple grandma in her private life consoling her grandchildren.

I think you're right. She does her job very well and most people only see the public Elizabeth and not the private one. I guess she was going to get attack in the press in whatever she did. But I wonder what would have happen if she had done things diffrently.

The tabloid editors were desperate to find anything to deflect the anti-paparazzi feeling that had arisen immediately after Diana's death. Remember Earl Spencer's "blood on their hands" statement from South Africa? I bet the editors did, very clearly.

Fleet Street/Wapping would have just as quickly turned their attention to the heartless and uncaring grandmother who had abandoned her distraught grandsons in the wilds of Scotland while she pandered to the crowds in London. Instead of "Why aren't you with your people?" screaming headlines, it would have been "Why aren't you with the boys?"

So she was just doomed. Rather whether the storm with family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom