Diamond Wedding Celebrations: November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were Princess Margarita of Baden, her brothers Max and Ludwig & their wives Valeria and Anna Maria the only German relatives who attended? I could imagine that some others wre there too, like Princess Beatrix of Hohenlohe-Langeburg or some of the Hannovers/Hesse-Kassels (Phillip was close to his youngest sister, the late Princess Sophie of Hannover and formerly of Hesse-Kassel). Did any other Mountbattens attend apart from Lady Pamela Hicks & family and the Countess Mountbatten of Burma (whoi looked rather frail) & family?

Nice to see King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie and their daughter Theodora there too. Were the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester only there with their youngest daughter or did the rest attend as well? Strange that the Duchess of Kent didn´t attend, I know that she doesn´t like occassions like this but still, a diamond wedding is a very special occasion. Likewise I don´t think I saw pictures of her two sons & wives.

The Queen looked absolutely splendid, I liked it that she wore a white suit, to mark the occassion. The service was nice too but I really liked the comments before the service started. A seemstress of HM´s wedding gown confessed that she thought Philip to be rather ´dishy´.

--

On another note, the BBC said that it was Phillip´s idea to spend their actual wedding day on Malta, where they spent some years in the beginning of their marriage, now who would have thought the old duke is such a romantic? ;)

Last edited:
I thought Lady Gabriella, Autumn Kelly, P. Alexandra, HM, and Camilla were the best dress.

And for # 1 modern and stylish: Lady Helen Taylor. I LOVE THAT COAT!!

I love specially Ella's hat. Anne has quite interesting hat too and the Queen.

I'm not quite sure which one Helen or Gabriella is more modern and stylish. Maybe it depend of the situation...
I don't like Camilla's skirt.

Last edited:
I really like Duchess of Cornwalls, but I must accept that her skirt was not too beatiful. :rolleyes: Saying the truth helps more than telling flattering lies.

Vanesa.

I agree. Princess Alexandra looks stunning in that color. She is such a beautiful woman.

I thought Lady Gabriella, Autumn Kelly, P. Alexandra, HM, and Camilla were the best dress. I like Camilla's head topping. So nice to see a smaller article on her head rather than the ENORMOUS hats she usually wears. :)

And for # 1 modern and stylish: Lady Helen Taylor. I LOVE THAT COAT!!

I like the color of Camilla's outfit a lot. I know I disagree with others who posted before about it. I saw that Skydragon and I have criss cross opinions (Sky likes the dress design, hates the color). But to me the color brown looks good on her. It's the design of the dress, or maybe it's a two-piece, I don't like. The top part is ok, the bottom (skirt) bothers me. I don't like her hat at all, as I said before. But the positive points: 1) Good color, 2) nice top, and 3) and unrelated to the outfit, good everything else, hair, face, etc.

The Queen looked the most beautiful, imo. Love her in the white. Love the hat. Dress. Everything was perfect on HM. Can't say it enough. She was perfect.

Autumn Kelly looked lovely---wonderful addition to the family. Zara's hat was fabulous too. Also--Viscountess Linley never has a hair out of place. So stylish.
Was Lady Sarah there? Didn't see any photos of her.

That's what I was wondering. Where was Sarah?

Tentative

Seating in the Abbey
Royal Family section starting with the first row behind HM and The Duke

1) TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall; TRH Prince William and Prince Harry
2) TRH The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie; TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex
3) HRH The Princess Royal, Vice-Admiral Laurence, Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly; Zara Phillips
4) TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester; Lady Rose Windsor; HRH The Duke of Kent; HRH Princess Alexandra the Hon. Lady Ogilvy
5) The Earl and Countess of St. Andrews; Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor; Timothy and Lady Helen Taylor
6) TRH Prince and Princess Michael of Kent; Lord Frederick Windsor; Lady Gabriella Windsor
7) Daniel and Lady Sarah Chatto; Viscount and Viscountess Linley

Missing persons: Gary and Lady Davina Lewis (probably in NZ as his company is there); The Earl and Countess of Ulster; The Hon. James and Julia Ogilvy; The Hon. Marina Mowatt

Last edited:
Tentative

List of (pictured) arrivals into the Abbey (not including the family already mentioned in above seating chart)
* See post 3 in this thread, page 1, for list of reportedly invited guests and groups

* King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
* Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark
* HRH Prince Hassan bin Talal of Jordan and his wife HRH Princess Sarvath

* Countess Mountbatten of Burma
* Lady Pamela Hicks
* India Hicks
* Edwina Hicks

* Baroness Thatcher
* Prime Minister (Gordon) and Mrs. (Sarah) Brown
* Sir John and Lady Major
* Conservative Party Leader David and Mrs. (Samantha) Cameron
* Dame Judi Dench
* First Minister of Northern Ireland Ian and Mrs. (Eileen) Paisley
* Justice Minister and Lord Chancellor Jack Straw
* Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair
* Former leader of the Liberal Democrats Sir Menzies Campbell

* Tiggy Pettifer

Last edited:
Its so sweet. I am so happy for them!! I love how they are a private celebration on the actual day. Prince Williams speach was wonderful.

Anne does have fabulous legs actually. I could make a filthy comment there but I won't. I have to say, the body language wasn't exactly loving. The DoE seemed to be quite distant from the Queen. If it'd been Henrik and Margrethe or Beatrix and Claus, I've no doubt we would have seen linked arms etc. In fact, I'm sure we would see it with most Royal couples.

I have to agree abt the body language during the ceremony, they looked to me at least far happier during the celebration for their 50th. Although I think perhaps this must have been extremely nostalgic for the queen, probably remembering her father, mother, and sister and how much time has gone by (her own mortality who knows). All in all the family didnt seem all that cheery, I know this isnt just any couple celebrating their anniversary but a little less restraint would have been nice. More smiles from the couple and their family wouldnt have hurt. Im slightly disappointed by the celebrations. Still I'm happy we've gotten to see all the fabulous pictures that the palace has released.

Those pictures are really cool. I've never seen them. They are very interesting!!

Other guests

List of (pictured) arrivals into the Abbey (not including the family already mentioned in above seating chart)
* See post 3 in this thread, page 1, for list of reportedly invited guests and groups

* King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
* Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark
* Prince Hassan bin Talal of Jordan

* Countess Mountbatten of Burma
* Lady Pamela Hicks
* India Hicks
* Edwina Hicks

* Baroness Thatcher
* Prime Minister (Gordon) and Mrs. (Sarah) Brown
* Sir John and Lady Major
* Conservative Party Leader David and Mrs. (Samantha) Cameron
* Dame Judy Dench
* First Minister of Northern Ireland Ian and Mrs. (Eileen) Paisley
* Justice Minister and Lord Chancellor Jack Straw
* Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair

* Tiggy Pettifer

I spotted Radu Duda in the second row behind the Baden Family, so Princess Margarita of Romania was certainly there, too.
And it would be interesting to know who are all the people in the second and third row behind the Badens and Mountbattens.

No, I know and understand that........ It's not what I meant. I know these are the descendents......... but thanks for the effort of pointing it out. I guess people assume it has to be spelled out for me or otherwise I won't understand.... for whatever reason....

As much as it has to be spelled out for the German members of this forums why the sisters were not invited.... no insult given or taken, I hope :flowers: - it's just so boring to hear again and again that Philip was not considered suitable in 1947 due to the war and his German roots, that his sisters had married Germans, that some of their husbands had Nazi-connections (while other relatives were thrown into KZs like Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel or the Bavarian Royals)...

As for Duchess of Cornwall, the colour she chose for the outfit became her reasonably well, but I did not like the style of the skirt and hat.

I thought it was too much brown and the hat ... terrible choice, IMO. Camilla looked great in the group picture in her dark green dress.

I don't know if this has been posted before but I found it and couldn't help myself, gotta post it :lol: :

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/295/qeii1dj1.jpg (note the SPINSTER thingy, at the age of 21 :eek: :D)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5614/qeii2mf6.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1341/qeii3th5.jpg

(Empics)

Absolutly fantastic, you are an inexhaustible source of excellent documents.

A detail interesting, George and Elisabeth the fathers of the young bride, Kings of GB, had signed R for King or R for Queen and not K or Q. It means that they had used for their signature the latin word Rex and Reina.

I spotted Radu Duda in the second row behind the Baden Family, so Princess Margarita of Romania was certainly there, too.
And it would be interesting to know who are all the people in the second and third row behind the Badens and Mountbattens.

I haven't even begun to explore that side of the aisle yet! Shoot, I'm still trying to figure where Princess Alexandra was seated. I can't get a good look at the woman next to The Duke of Kent. I don't think it can be the Duchess of Kent and I assume she still was at home with her head cold(?)
So Princess Alexandra might have been next The Duke or in the row behind with the Michaels of Kent family and the Taylors.

I wish it was possible to see beyond the row with the Linleys, the Chattos. I have not seen any sign of James and Julia Ogilvy, or Marina....

Jo of Palatine said:
As much as it has to be spelled out for the German members of this forums why the sisters were not invited.... no insult given or taken, I hope - it's just so boring to hear again and again that Philip was not considered suitable in 1947 due to the war and his German roots, that his sisters had married Germans, that some of their husbands had Nazi-connections (while other relatives were thrown into KZs like Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel or the Bavarian Royals)...

Well, yes, it is boring to hear the same thing again and again, which is why I put "well you know" in the first place. :D

It was most interesting to see the service on TV. Queen Elizabeth looked extraordinarily beautiful in the footage - there's an air of serenity about her these days which is admirable.
There were few smiles indeed and a general subdued atmosphere among the immediate family which felt strange. But the only one who managed to strike me as a sad and pathetic figure is The Prince of Wales.
It was already detectable on the Clarence House pics (Does this look like an eldest son happy to host a party for his parent's diamond wedding?) but at the Westminster Abbey service, he looked simply and utterly miserable throughout the proceedings... It couldn't have possibly been the effect of that 'chocolate cake & cream topping' outfit of his wife... (which I didn't like one bit). There was next to no interaction between The Duchess and him either, surprisingly.
Watching the TV footage and Charles' constantly pained expression, he rather appeared to be attending a funeral than a celebration. I couldn't help wondering 'What on earth is his problem NOW'?! :ermm:

There was an exchange in the Waleses' row that peaked my curiosity. Camilla was saying something to make William laugh, and they were laughing (or rather smirking and trying to contain themselves) but Charles looked uneasy. :D The Queen turned around and it looked like she gave a look or word to Camilla to show she didn't approve of their silliness, and William was looking very amused by this too..... I don't know if this is accurate. I'm just going on a series of pictures. But I do wonder what had Camilla and William smirking so much that The Queen had to (or even if she did) tell them off! And Charles.... maybe he was amused but desperate not to show it because he knew his mummy was going to tell them off! :lol:
But there again, maybe it was all my imagination.... ha

Well, here are other articles from today.
Zara's short skirt steals the show at Queen's diamond wedding | the Daily Mail (I thought Zara looked cute.)

The fairytale wedding that led to six decades of devotion | the Daily Mail (nice pic of the York girls who I also thought looked nice)

Archbishop praises 60 years of Royal marriage - Telegraph
Royal anniversary: The order of service - Telegraph
Archbishop's anniversary sermon in full - Telegraph

Telegraph slideshow
Telegraph | Picture Gallery | ROYAL WEDDING DIAMOND ANNIVERSARY

Telegraph video
More News - Telegraph TV

Last edited:
...and even an Arab Royal Dont remember who.
HRH Prince Hassan of Jordan and his wife HRH Princess Sarvath, who regularly attend most of the grand European royal events.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla, love ya, darling, but that hat is awful) :D
Yes I agree with you! This hatpieces do not look good on everyone.
I think it does not look good on for example Silvia and also not on Camilla!
But ít was a great event!
i love the pictures in the church!.

I think it's quite annoying that the Duchess of Kent didn't turn up. Was she too busy with her school? I think she sometimes forgets she's a member of the Royal Family but notice she doesn't forget the money.

The Duchess of Kent was present according to the Court Circular.

The Queen looked very well, as did most of The RF, though not sure about Camilla's outfit (the skirt was especially awful).

The Countess Mountbatten of Burma's outfit really looked like it was from Oxfam and Lady Pamela Hicks hat was odd but the rest of her outfit was quite nice.

Did anyone else notice the massive creation worn by the first lady in the alise on The Queen's side who kept curtseying to anything that moved, most amusing!!

Last edited:
It almost looks like King Constantin hired people to call him since he is seen talking on his mobile on most pics. I don't think that going to such an event is the right time to do your phone calls unless you want to get the message across how important you are :ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom