90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Does anyone know who's the bearded young guy sitting behind Autumn and Zara?
I think he might be related to the Kent, maybe one of the sons of lady Helen?"

The young man is Cassius Taylor, the second son of Lady Helen.

The young gentleman has been identified as Lord Downpatrick eldest son of The Earl of St Andrews. :flowers:

Edit: I'm trying to get a clear view but Cassius does sit down before Lord Downpatrick. :lol:

Last edited:
I think Lord Downpatrick is behind the York princesses, closer to the aisle, and Cassius Taylor is further up behind the Phillips. They both wear a beard, and are sitting in the same row. Cassius is sitting next to his father. :flowers:

It was all very moving and incredibly lovely that practically the entire extended family belonging to the British Royal family turned up to a thanksgiving to celebrate this milestone of the Queen and Prince Philip. Don't let it rain on the celebrations tomorrow!

Some groupings:
The Yorks and Wessexs outside church: http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/539176282-prince-andrew-princess-beatrice-princess-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXn%2f%2bvpPuz%2fw2a3jgyI5aaI8q%2fHaw6FmXOBWWAuAazkcuWB%2bMIFP%2fm6Wh7NLWqigvHg%3d%3d
Kate curtsies without a net: http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/53...Z8yYieaefjxB0CQaLu/fEVrX02XnSMKLNXaJ1mJ6tqA==
The Queen from above (auto race fans should like this one) http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/53...x6zJOY0GZ8AHdZo/O13jTABYubHiNngHs7o+cVA65Sw==
Lady Louise and her Mom: http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/53...mnNw+Ty/jbn6IA8T7QYrnDiXtQAj2p6dPPIs6CCTXMw==
I looked but could not find a decent photo of the group in the pews at church. If someone has a screen grab, will you share that for those of us who did not watch to figure out the relative seating. Thanks

Last edited:
The BBC coverage:

From St Paul's:
The coverage was good and I liked the commentaries from Huw Edwards and Robert Hardman as I usually does.

From the special-built BBC studio:
I like Kirsty Young, but of all the great royal experts we have in the UK, they could have found someone better than Gyles Brandreth.

Queen's 90th birthday: St Paul's service marks Queen's 'faithful devotion' - BBC News
A national service of thanksgiving to mark the Queen's 90th birthday at St Paul's Cathedral has paid tribute to her "faithful devotion" to the country.

Dean of St Paul's David Ison thanked the Queen for her "gentle constancy, royal dignity and kindly humanity".

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said the Queen had reigned through "war and hardship, turmoil and change".

Queen's Birthday Party Weekend Kicks Off
The Queen has been praised for her "faithful devotion" to the nation at the start of three days of celebrations marking her 90th birthday.

The Dean of St Paul's, the Very Reverend David Ison, paid the tribute as members of the Royal Family gathered for a service of thanksgiving ahead at the start of a weekend of celebrations.

Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday: Archbishop of Canterbury expresses 'profound gratitude' of the nation for monarch's service

Updated DF article:
Queen's birthday celebrations sees Kate Middleton, Prince William and Harry attend | Daily Mail Online

The whole service from BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqvyeCwhK4

Sitting in the airport at the moment waiting to fly to London to be in The Mall tomorrow and very excited!!

Lovely photos from today, I loved Lady Louise's outfit.

I think the Queen looked very good. Prince Philip however IMO didn't look well, his face & hands looked gray to me. I know he is 95 today and hasn't been in the best of health the past few years but even so, I thought he looked ill.

I watched a landlord say on Sky News that it was done better during her Diamond Jubilee, and said that people now also have their mind on other things like the EU and Euro thing.

But as I've said before: This is a birthday, and not a jubilee. These celebrations are similar to what we saw for the Queen's 80th birthday, but they are a actualy a bit bigger this time than in 2006.

And as some of the British royal experts say: This is the biggest birthday celebration on earth.

April 21: Walkabout and a drive through the streests of Windsor in her queenmobile to greet the crowds + the lighting of 1,000 beacons across the country and worldwide - televised by BBC One, BBC News and Sky News.

Private dinner at Windsor Castle in the evening.

May 15: Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Pageant. 90-minute extravaganza with 900 horses and more than 1,500 riders and performers in the private grounds of Windsor Castle - televised by ITV.

June 10: Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral - televised by BBC One.

The Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla will also be hosting a lunch at Buckingham Palace for the visiting Governor-Generals. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge along with other Royal Family members will be hosted with special guests at the Guildhall.

June 11: Trooping the Colour in all its pomp and pageantry. The Queen and other members of the Royal family travel to and from Buckingham Palace in carriages, meaning there is ample opportunity to see her for anyone standing on The Mall. She will then appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace at 1pm to watch a fly-past. This will be another good chance for members of the public to see the Queen, albeit from a distance - televised by BBC One as usual.

June 12: The Patron's Lunch - televised by BBC One. And street parties around the country

Can we ask for more?

And the Danish and Norwegian experts agree - they are always in awe about the Queen and that she celebrates in such a big way.

The Danish and Norwegian TV coverage was very pro Queen and they praised her and called her the most famous woman on earth, but I was quite sjokert over the Danish media coverage and how little they know about the Queen as an person. The Danish journalist Ulla Therkildsen described HM as the world's biggest party girl and said that she loves to celebrate herself with pop conserts and big festivities - she and the other experts said the same in 2012. The Norwegian experts say some of the same.

Jubilees:
Her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees were celebrated in a much grander style that these of Queen Margrethe, King Carl Gustaf and King Harald.

Birthdays:
Both her 80th and 90th birthdays were/is actualy celbrated much bigger than her Danish, Swedish and Norwegian counterparts.

Thanks for the video, but I stopped watching once I realized the BBC hired Katie "the fabricator" Nicholl. How embarrassing for the BBC. No standards.

I wonder it Kitty Kelley will be commentating Trooping tomorrow. :whistling:

You're very welcome!

And yes I know. And as I said in another post here: I like Kirsty Young, but of all the great royal experts we have in the UK, they could have found someone better than Gyles Brandreth and (as you says) Katie Nicholl. But they are both big fans of the Queen, as most royal Experts are.

The BBC coverage from St Paul's were very good and I liked the commentaries from Huw Edwards and Robert Hardman as I usually does. Watch from 1:00:40 and you don't have to watch Katie at all.

Thanks for the videos and photos!:flowers::flowers:
Lady Gabriella Windsor looked exquisitely divine. :wub::wub::wub: I would call Princess Alexandra's look whimsical elegant.

Visconutess Linley's and Lady Chatto's ensembles were just all right. Serena's hat perched awkwardly.Princess Michael's white ensemble made her look huge. Her Edwardian-style hat was nice though.

The rest is so so.

Last edited:
Videos:
The Queen has hosted visiting Governor-Generals for lunch at Buckingham Palace today, as part of a series of events marking her 90th birthday. Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip and the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, Her Majesty posed for an official photograph with dignitaries at the event.
Home - ITNSource News

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and other members of the Royal Family have arrived at the Guild Hall in the City of London for the Governor-Generals Lunch – being held to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday.
Home - ITNSource News

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have attended the Governor-Generals’ Lunch at the Guildhall in the City of London today, as part of a series of events commemorating the Queen’s 90th birthday. The Duke of York Prince Andrew and daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also attended today’s event.
Home - ITNSource News

I want to watch the service (I would have watched it today but I wasn't at home for most of it) so will watch your video, ROYAL NORWAY, thank you. In fact, I was in East London. :flowers:

It was great to see many of HM's relatives joining her for the service, it was particularly nice to see appearances from the Earl of St. Andrews and his family as I haven't seen them for a while. I was surprised that Viscount Linley's children didn't attend, they are old enough, and sometimes attend whole family events (for example, they attended the Royal Windsor Horse Show for HM's birthday this year). Perhaps they wanted to go to school instead - Charles would be sitting his GCSEs this year if I've got his age correct.
I thought that fashion wise, aside from Catherine as I've already commented about her outfit in her fashion thread, made a good effort. The only outfit I didn't like was Beatrice's, the skeleton effect is a bit much for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos and photos!:flowers::flowers:
Lady Gabriella Windsor looked exquisitely divine. :wub::wub::wub: I would call Princess Alexandra's look whimsical elegant.

Visconutess Linley's and Lady Chatto's ensembles were just all right. Serena's hat perched awkwardly.Princess Michael's white ensemble made her look huge. Her Edwardian-style hat was nice though.

The rest is so so.

I thought Vicountess Linley's hat both edgy and a fun nod to some of the hats Her Majesty wore in the late 60s-70s.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/53...68P8O40WFwzA8TVWjP3GF0gI1fdwMysGAQSM8j692bw==
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/50...ZL4GXK9Ld0p0dHraYefYycFQa3Pu1Q62AwT8VuGWjFog=
or
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/50...9bqBjZn1cxZjWwRfixrxgz8f9rgiqVPAvCSq91I4i+uE=

I don't think 53 members of the BRF were present. I think it was 43. The line counting the queen's family, the Gloucesters, and the Kents is 53. The Gloucester and Kent children like Eloise Taylor, Isabella Windsor and Xan Windsor did not attend. That takes out 8-10. Maybe the Harewoods were there but were not mentioned as members of the BRF. I got my list from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_British_throne.
Also HereditaryPrincess the Linley children were there but just were not seen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, but I stopped watching once I realized the BBC hired Katie "the fabricator" Nicholl. How embarrassing for the BBC. No standards.

I wonder if Kitty Kelley will be commentating Trooping tomorrow. :whistling:

Katie "the fabricator"? Who's she? :lol:

Thanks for your wealth of info. :flowers:

And you are absolutely right. Don't know about Norwegian TV, but Danish TV cover QEII's birthday massively and live! Not to mention about 45 minutes every day this past week with portraits of the BRF in general and QEII in particular.
The coverage of the BRF for many years has almost consistently gone from positive to very positive. Even the controversies have been covered in an explanatory rather than sensational let alone judgmental way - albeit it with a slight sigh of relief that we don't have had the same problems in the DRF.

At least the majority of royal watchers here in DK genuinely like the pomp and circumstances surrounding the BRF events. Presumably because the DRF also use a good deal of glitter and festive effects, certainly in comparison to the other Scandinavian families with big robes and tiaras all over the place at every opportunity. Albeit more subdued than the BRF, because in Danish context that would be a bit over the top.
But the British royalists are also very much considered part of the show! Because British royalists are much more colorful and theatrical than Danish royalists. It's a show for full throttle and who doesn't like a good show?

As for Ulla Therkelsen. She is brilliant in conveying what goes on in the BRF in a funny, easy to understand but nevertheless matter of fact and very fair way. Without leaving out controversies as well as successes.
She also enjoy a good show, and the bigger hats the better! So she is in her right element when covering a BRF event.

And the Danish and Norwegian experts agree - they are always in awe about the Queen and that she celebrates in such a big way.

The Danish and Norwegian TV coverage was very pro Queen and they praised her and called her the most famous woman on earth, but I was quite sjokert over the Danish media coverage and how little they know about the Queen as an person. The Danish journalist Ulla Therkildsen described HM as the world's biggest party girl and said that she loves to celebrate herself with pop conserts and big festivities - she and the other experts said the same in 2012. The Norwegian experts say some of the same.

Jubilees:
Her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees were celebrated in a much grander style that these of Queen Margrethe, King Carl Gustaf and King Harald.

Birthdays:
Both her 80th and 90th birthdays were/is actualy celbrated much bigger than her Danish, Swedish and Norwegian counterparts.

She is the Royal Correspondent for The Mail on Sunday and Vanity Fair.

No rush with the reply, gotta pick up my daughter. Goodnight.

Last edited:
There was a DM report a while back that Earl Spencer (The Queen's Godson) would be invited to these celebrations. Of course, to no surprise, that proved to be false.

It was nice to see Lady Davina Lewis and her husband Gary Lewis

They were sitting in the second row behind Wills and Kate

I'm not sure if she is still living in New Zealand, they don't seem to be around much

Thanks for your wealth of info. :flowers:

And you are absolutely right. Don't know about Norwegian TV, but Danish TV cover QEII's birthday massively and live! Not to mention about 45 minutes every day this past week with portraits of the BRF in general and QEII in particular.
The coverage of the BRF for many years has almost consistently gone from positive to very positive. Even the controversies have been covered in an explanatory rather than sensational let alone judgmental way - albeit it with a slight sigh of relief that we don't have had the same problems in the DRF.

At least the majority of royal watchers here in DK genuinely like the pomp and circumstances surrounding the BRF events. Presumably because the DRF also use a good deal of glitter and festive effects, certainly in comparison to the other Scandinavian families with big robes and tiaras all over the place at every opportunity. Albeit more subdued than the BRF, because in Danish context that would be a bit over the top.
But the British royalists are also very much considered part of the show! Because British royalists are much more colorful and theatrical than Danish royalists. It's a show for full throttle and who doesn't like a good show?

As for Ulla Therkelsen. She is brilliant in conveying what goes on in the BRF in a funny, easy to understand but nevertheless matter of fact and very fair way. Without leaving out controversies as well as successes.
She also enjoy a good show, and the bigger hats the better! So she is in her right element when covering a BRF event.
Thanks to you too, Muhler!

I'm not very active on the Danish forum (because I don't have the time), but I follow the DRF almost as much as I do with BRF and NRF. And therefore I can say that I agree with you, as usual (also on Ulla Therkelsen), but I think it is a bit over the top to describe HM as the world's biggest party girl who loves to celebrate herself. Because according to those who know her, she is the opposite.

No rush with the reply, gotta pick up my daughter. Goodnight.
I am most interested in the monarchy as an institution and therefore I don't read many of her articles or twitter messages, but she writes a lot of ridiculous things about the younger royals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom