90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope if there are photos all the great grandchildren are included, I understand George and Charlotte are more senior in the succession but it would be nice to see the Queen with all her great grandchildren.

It would be a miracle if we get a nice family picture. Lord knows, it's very hard to get family portraits out of the British royals. All their royal counterparts do so, but it's like pulling teeth to get the Windsors together for a picture.

It would be a miracle if we get a nice family picture. Lord knows, it's very hard to get family portraits out of the British royals. All their royal counterparts do so, but it's like pulling teeth to get the Windsors together for a picture.

I think this upcoming birthday celebration will be just about a perfect time to get such a picture. Its been in the works and planned and known about for so long, it made it quite easy for all the children and grandchildren and great grandchildren to have nothing on their calendars for a certain birthday celebration date so that they all can attend and be there.

I was reading earlier about Queen Victoria and how the death of her husband not only affected her but also her family and the nation. There was a quite nice photograph of the entire family together and that is something that will remain a part of history. It would be so good to have one of The Queen with all her family surrounding her for posterity.

Even if missing a member or two, they should do a portrait with whoever they can wrangle. Things like Easter and Christmas they manage to get most of the family together in the same place. I would really love one with all the great-grandkids. If they cant get all 5 at the same time then at least a series with the queen with them.

I personally just wish for ANY kind of family photograph in the coming year. I mean, not to be macabre, but we don't know how many more chances there are for big family photos and the latest one I can remember was when Autumn was still a fiance. So much have changed and I would really love a picture of them all while both the Duke and Queen are still with us. If not for them as a family, for the history books.

We got that photo to celebrate HM and PP's 60th wedding anniversary. So they might be saving the next big photo for their 70th, next year.

I think this upcoming birthday celebration will be just about a perfect time to get such a picture. Its been in the works and planned and known about for so long, it made it quite easy for all the children and grandchildren and great grandchildren to have nothing on their calendars for a certain birthday celebration date so that they all can attend and be there.

I was reading earlier about Queen Victoria and how the death of her husband not only affected her but also her family and the nation. There was a quite nice photograph of the entire family together and that is something that will remain a part of history. It would be so good to have one of The Queen with all her family surrounding her for posterity.

It would be good to get a proper picture of the family for her birthday. I just wish they took pictures a little bit often though. We get so many pictures of the other European royals, but it's a rarity to get family pictures of the Windors.

In a way in the UK its a bit harder. There are more generations and branches to wrangle, and they don't live very close. Where the Danes or Swedes for instance they live in Copenhagen or Stockholm much of the year (with exception of Maddie but she comes home a lot). Or the family 'vacation's, the grandkids are all still small, they aren't off with their own lives and duties. Christmas might be the best time to try and get the family together for a portrait as most of them manage to get to Sandringham but there always seems to be someone missing.

In a way in the UK its a bit harder. There are more generations and branches to wrangle, and they don't live very close. Where the Danes or Swedes for instance they live in Copenhagen or Stockholm much of the year (with exception of Maddie but she comes home a lot). Or the family 'vacation's, the grandkids are all still small, they aren't off with their own lives and duties. Christmas might be the best time to try and get the family together for a portrait as most of them manage to get to Sandringham but there always seems to be someone missing.
I was thinking the Christmas lunch they have before christmas might be when they might manage to get the most people together. And for all we know, they might have taken such a picture this year. (Hope not though, since William was not there and he seems like a rather important person to have in the picture :p) But I really hope they are not pushing forward (backward?) the time and thinking "ah, we'll do it next year".

Last edited:
The big family picture they did a while back the Queen's 80 I think. Had the Queen, Philip, her kids with spouses, adult grandkids with spouse ( It was only Autumn then, I think they were engaged) plus Sarah, David and their spouses, Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra , Prince & Princess Michael. All in tuxes and evening gowns. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

They weren't taking a formal picture, but were watching a fireworks display.

The big family picture they did a while back the Queen's 80 I think. Had the Queen, Philip, her kids with spouses, adult grandkids with spouse ( It was only Autumn then, I think they were engaged) plus Sarah, David and their spouses, Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra , Prince & Princess Michael. All in tuxes and evening gowns. It was pretty cool.

That photo was for HM and DoE's 60th wedding anniversary in 2007. They may do a similar one next year for their 70th wedding anniversary.

Here's the picture taken Nov 18, 2007 -
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...lip-duke-of-edinburgh-are-news-photo/77971262

The photo was taken as part of a formal dinner celebration hosted by the PoW and DoCo, notice 4-year-old Louise wasn't there. So even if they do something similar next year, don't expect to see James, Savannah, Isla, George, Mia, or Charlotte at the dinner/photoshoot.

Last edited:
Her Majesty The Queen's 90th Birthday Beacons
There is a long and unbroken tradition in our country of celebrating Royal jubilees, weddings, coronations and special birthdays with the lighting of beacons -- whether it’s on top of mountains, churches or castle battlements; on town and village greens, farms, country parks or along the beaches surrounding our shores. The lighting of beacons unites the nation in a common celebration and it’s how many of us will be paying our respects to Her Majesty The Queen on her 90th birthday this April.

The last major beacon celebration was on Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee on 4th June 2012. This year’s Beacon lighting will take place on Thursday 21st April 2016. Beacons will be lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK Overseas Territories in celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s milestone birthday. HMTQ has also agreed to be the first to light the Principal beacon on the day.

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales has written a message to all beacon lighters around the country. It reads:

“I am delighted that so many people throughout the United Kingdom are coming together to light beacons in celebration of my mother, The Queen's, ninetieth birthday. It is a wonderful gesture which I know has deeply touched Her Majesty.

Beacons are to be lit on mountaintops, on beaches, in farmyards and on church towers, uniting us all in our heartfelt appreciation of The Queen's lifetime of service to the United Kingdom and other Realms, and to the Commonwealth.

Since time immemorial, the light of beacons has relayed important messages across the land. "This message we proclaim with the greatest pride and affection: Your Majesty, we all wish you a very Happy Birthday!"

I agree that it would be nice to see an official photo of the RF. It would be nice to see HM's grandchildren and great-grandchildren there too, however I'm doubtful about it for the same reasons as others here have pointed out. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised, though!

It woulnd't make sense to release a photo wiht only George and Charlotte to me, unless said photo includes all of HM's grandchildren. Now, that would be a a very welcoming picture!

Well, if not all The Queen's great-grandchildren were present, then a picture of her with George and Charlotte is all you would get. Some think it wouldn't be fair to the other kids, but the only way to correct it would be for an official picture of The Queen with all the kids to be taken. Doubt it would happen though, because for some odd reason the family don't seem to be interested in taking a nice big family picture.

We see the other royal houses don't seem to have a problem getting together and taking official family pictures. The Windsor's doing so is a bit too much like right, IMO. The extended family don't have to be included. A picture of just the immediate family members would be great.

Since Autumn and Peter were in Windsor for Easter Sunday, its very possible they were there Monday too with Isla and Savannah for the photoshoot

It woulnd't make sense to release a photo wiht only George and Charlotte to me, unless said photo includes all of HM's grandchildren. Now, that would be a a very welcoming picture!

Didn't she do one with the grandchildren for the Golden Jubilee?

She only had Charles' family in the one for the Diamond Jubilee and not all the grandchildren then.

As a result of the 'narrowing focus' of the royal family I very much doubt that there will ever be a photo released to the public of The Queen with all the great-grandchildren. Anne's grandchildren aren't royal so why include them for the public? For her private collection sure but not for the public consumption.

She only had Charles' family in the one for the Diamond Jubilee and not all the grandchildren then.

As a result of the 'narrowing focus' of the royal family I very much doubt that there will ever be a photo released to the public of The Queen with all the great-grandchildren. Anne's grandchildren aren't royal so why include them for the public? For her private collection sure but not for the public consumption.

It doesn't matter if Princess Anne's children aren't royal, the point is to officially photograph her family. It would be good just to include Charles and Camilla, Cambridge's and Prince Harry.

Just release a family picture!

I think its more likely that family picture will be taken either 21 April or 10/11 June

Hopefully it's Apr 21 instead of June.

Well, if not all The Queen's great-grandchildren were present, then a picture of her with George and Charlotte is all you would get. Some think it wouldn't be fair to the other kids, but the only way to correct it would be for an official picture of The Queen with all the kids to be taken. Doubt it would happen though, because for some odd reason the family don't seem to be interested in taking a nice big family picture.

We see the other royal houses don't seem to have a problem getting together and taking official family pictures. The Windsor's doing so is a bit too much like right, IMO. The extended family don't have to be included. A picture of just the immediate family members would be great.

Since the immediate family is four generations, and spread across the country, that isnt as simple as you would have it. As well as the grandkids who are private citizens with jobs, one of whom works in NY though she comes home often. Its not like CG rounding up his kids who except for Maddie, all live in Stockholm and she is back often enough, for a photo. Or many of the other royals.

Because its a family portrait. And Zara and Peter and their daughters are as much her family as the grandkids with titles. I highly doubt the queen ranks her grandchildren based on order of succession.

The more people in the photograph, the smaller each person appears in the photograph.

If there is a party or photograph it will probably be the 'adults' only.

Including Princess Margaret grandsons, the party would be 32 people if you add Margarita who will be 14 then you have 33 and Louise will make 34.

Last edited:
I would think that she would more likely release one photo of herself with Philip, maybe one with just her children and one with the future kings - Charles, William and George.

A picture of just The Queen & Philip, Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine, Harry, George and Charlotte would good enough for me.

I think if any photographs are released it would be one with the adults at the party and one with her and her children, similar to the 60th wedding anniversary.

I don't think they should/would just go the Wales/Cambridge route. During the documentary they emphasized that this was a 'personal' milestone, not a royal/public one like the jubilee.That is why the video was meant to be by the people who knew her best.

The jubilee was another story. It was focussed on her reign and the continuation of the monarchy. It made some sense to focus on the queen and her heir and his family. To emphasize the succession that will follow her.

This is a personal family event. It makes sense to emphasize the FAMILY and that is not just Charles and his branch. I agree, it could likely be just the adults at the party in a picture. Perhaps some private photos with the queen and the kids released as well. We know all the kids were at Windsor at some point recently.

I'm skeptical about the release of a photo woth all her grandchildren as well, but to me it wouldn't make sense a photo with only George and Charlotte. Perhaps it would be more logic one with all the heis again, but I doubt we'll see another 4 generation picture.

I think it'd be a nice gesture to release a huge family picture though. Reaching 90 years old is a milestone and the british royal family should seize this chance to have a whole big pic, as it will likely be the last big phot with HM. JMO

Music for Queen's 90th birthday written by Classic FM composer Debbie Wiseman - Wiseman News
New music by Debbie Wiseman will be performed live at the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations. The festivities will take place over four nights from 12th – 15th May 2016 in Home Park Private, Windsor Castle. Members of The Royal Family will attend each night, with The Queen present at the final performance on Sunday 15th May.

Debbie Wiseman MBE said: "To be simply living at the time when our longest-serving monarch celebrates a landmark birthday is a privilege in itself; to be invited to be a part of the joyous celebrations is an honour indeed.

“I hope that you enjoy my specially-composed tribute to the life of Her Majesty and the many happy and glorious memories she has given to us, and shared with us, throughout her years of dedicated service to our country."

Back
Top Bottom