90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ant and Dec are really in there with the royals, aren't they? Having said that they did just win Best Presenters at the UK National TV Awards for something like the 15th consecutive year. They are incredibly popular.

that's great news, can't wait to hear the interview. any information on when it will be released?

I wonder if the BBC is doing a documentary or something similar for the birthday? I know they are covering the birthday weekend events. ITV seems to be very much 'in' with the Royals at the moment.

I wonder if the BBC is doing a documentary or something similar for the birthday? I know they are covering the birthday weekend events. ITV seems to be very much 'in' with the Royals at the moment.

The BBC announced more today and, yes, they are planning a landmark BBC One documentary. I've never seen so much BBC coverage for a royal birthday, and they even said that further coverage will be announced in due course.

BBC - BBC announces further programming to mark The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations - Media Centre
BBC announces further programming to mark The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations

Events coverage will include BBC One broadcasting live from the Commonwealth Observance Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 14. The service, attended by members of the Royal Family including The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will also be streamed internationally on bbc.com.

BBC One will then broadcast three days of live events to mark The Queen's official 90th birthday beginning on Friday 10th June with a service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral. There will be the traditional display of pageantry of The Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping The Colour) on Saturday 11 June on Horse Guards Parade, culminating with members of The Royal Family making their annual appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to the delight of thousands of people gathered along the Mall.

On Sunday 12 June, BBC One will broadcast a special celebration taking place on The Mall to close the weekend of birthday celebrations. The iconic stretch will be transformed for The Patron's Lunch with 10,000 people gathered to celebrate The Queen's patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday. The one-off fundraising spectacle will be a classic British 'street party' where guests will enjoy a hamper-style lunch at tables positioned along the full length of The Mall, with carnival-style entertainment and Union flags aplenty. The Queen will be joined by other members of The Royal Family to celebrate the occasion. The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are Joint Presidents of The Patron's Lunch.

Alongside coverage of these events, the BBC will broadcast a range of special programming including a landmark BBC One documentary to mark The Queen's 90th birthday, documentaries on Radio 2 and the World Service, and coverage on BBC News outlets around the country.

Further coverage will be announced in due course.

Charlotte Moore, Controller, TV Channels and iPlayer says: "The BBC is offering an unrivalled range and breadth of programmes to mark Her Majesty 90th birthday, including landmark documentaries and extensive television coverage with special events marking the occasion. This is a significant moment for the nation and the BBC will be right at the heart of the celebrations."

Last edited:
I can't wait to watch these great events in the months to come. I wonder if foreign royals will be making their way over to the UK for some of these celebrations? I'm hoping so, because-God's willing-this will be a very special occasion for the The Queen and whole British Monarchy.

I can't wait to watch these great events in the months to come. I wonder if foreign royals will be making their way over to the UK for some of these celebrations? I'm hoping so, because-God's willing-this will be a very special occasion for the The Queen and whole British Monarchy.

I would imagine if any of the foreign royals did come to celebrate, they would come as friends rather than officially as representatives of their country. To be honest, I don't think there's a whole lot of people all over the globe that don't hold HM, The Queen as a very respected and admired person and her 90th birthday celebrations are going to be watched and enjoyed by millions around the globe.

Fantastic. Simply fantastic! :flowers:

I would be surprised if a few didn't come for at least one of the major events. Kind of sad that they show up for her jubilees and events but the queen never attends any of their events, and doesn't even send her heir. Would be nice if she went to the continent from time to time for events, or at least Charles instead of Eddie. But I guess in the case of Chuck, he is so much older than the heirs/new monarchs, Ed is a better fit.

I would be surprised if a few didn't come for at least one of the major events. Kind of sad that they show up for her jubilees and events but the queen never attends any of their events, and doesn't even send her heir. Would be nice if she went to the continent from time to time for events, or at least Charles instead of Eddie. But I guess in the case of Chuck, he is so much older than the heirs/new monarchs, Ed is a better fit.

to be fair, Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward have all done things overseas. And when you attend things, you're bound to make friends. It seems like Sophie & Edward are decently close to many of the royals. Charles has his that he seems close to, as well.

to be fair, Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward have all done things overseas. And when you attend things, you're bound to make friends. It seems like Sophie & Edward are decently close to many of the royals. Charles has his that he seems close to, as well.

Charles, Anne and Andrew go on state visits true, but they don't attend personal events like weddings, jubilees and anniversaries for other royals. Nor does the queen. Edward and Sophie are always sent to these events. Charles attends the odd one, like an investiture. Look at the wedding of Victoria, heir to the throne. Other countries sent numerous members, the Belgians for instance sent the king, and all three of their children with their spouses. The UK sent Edward and Sophie. Then you look at Will and Kate's wedding, Will is only second in line for the throne so not a state event, and we see the heirs to the throne or in a few cases, the reigning monarch, attend.

A list of foreign royals who attended the jubilee lunch
Jubilee monarchs' lunch: the full guest list - Telegraph

Different countries, different traditions. The Kings (or Queens) of England have almost never gone to such events. It's not just QEII.

We have to accept that all monarchies doesn't celebrate with grand lunches and dinners with foreign royals present.

And about Charles not going to a lot of weddings and jubilees, It's probably a question of who do you know best. Charles is much older than the other european heirs and don't know most of them very well. Edward and Sophie is in their generation. Edward knows everyone in the norwegian and danish royal families very well since many years and in later years he has learned to know the swedish royal family too. Carl Gustaf and Charles knows each other well since their youth (only 2 years between then) but rumours says that they have never been close friends.

When William is King, going to these events will probably be a task for Prince Harry and his future wife.

Last edited:
More likely Prince of Wales George during his father's reign not Harry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I've always said, The Queen should be sending her heir or the heirs heir to those events.

Back to the Queen's Birthday,

I hope the foreign royals are part if these celebrations. It's a major milestone for Queen Elizabrth II.

It will be a video featuring most members of the family, right? Not only William and Kate, I presume.

It will be a video featuring most members of the family, right? Not only William and Kate, I presume.
So far the reports say that it will be comments by Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine so I assume those are the only (or biggest) ones that are sitting down for a talk. I mean, the rest will probably show up in clips from like... trooping and such.

I'm pretty sure that it's not going to happen, and I don't see the point of inviting all these foreign royals. This celebrations is about the Queen and her service to others, not lavish dinners etc.

I'm pretty sure that it's not going to happen, and I don't see the point of inviting all these foreign royals. This celebrations is about the Queen and her service to others, not lavish dinners etc.

I didn't say that there would be a lavish dinner. I think it's very appropriate for foreign royals to at least attend the service of thanksgiving at St. Paul's. This is a grand event and, IMO, I think it would be very fitting for at least some of the continental to make their way over for this big celebration.

I would think that a good comparison may be is how we spot different royal personages at the Olympic games. They're there because they're interested in the games and wish to cheer on their fellow countrymen but they're not there in an official capacity. It very well could be that (for example) Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe have established a warm friendship and and because her friend is celebrating her 90th birthday, Margrethe decides to be there for the Thanksgiving service or any of the other celebrations going on at the time.

No formal invites nor any specific events planned with foreign royals in mind but maybe some in attendance because they want to be and care to be there.

Just my suppositions of course.

Prayers written to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday later this year have been released by the Church of England.

Two prayers (or Collects) have been created in traditional and modern forms and can be used in services marking national celebrations in April and June.

On top of this, two graces have been published for those hosting street parties or other celebrations.

Bishop of Exeter, Rt Revd Robert Atwell, who chairs the Liturgical Commission which prepares liturgy for the Church, said: "The Queen has steered Britain through some challenging and difficult times over the past seven decades, providing the country with stability and wisdom. She is an inspiration to many people, young and old. The Queen's 90th birthday gives an opportunity not only to thank God for her service, but to celebrate the gifts of all older people in our society."

Churches are being encouraged to use their buildings to celebrate the Queen's birthday through 2016. Those looking for inspiration are encouraged to use the Church Care website which offers tips and advice on planning events and services.

The Queen celebrates two birthdays each year. Her actual birthday is on 21 April and her official birthday is on a Saturday in June.

Full text of the prayers in link
Read more: Prayers for Queen's 90th Birthday published

I think Queen Margrethe comes to Britain on a regular basis and probably sees Queen Elizabeth reasonably frequently. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her and King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway, who also visit regularly, in London for at least part of the celebrations.

In April Queen Elizabeth II will become the first reigning British monarch to reach the age of 90. Here is our guide to how to join in the celebrations

Queen Elizabeth II's 90th birthday celebrations will be one of the highlights of 2016, and you can play your part by following our guide to the festivities.

Events will be taking place in April, May and June, some of which are free and some of which require tickets, but the key is to plan ahead if you want to participate.

We have included links to websites where you can buy tickets and where you can download forms for street parties. We will be updating this page whenever new information is available.
Read more: Queen's 90th birthday: when is it and how will it be celebrated? - Telegraph

So far the reports say that it will be comments by Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine so I assume those are the only (or biggest) ones that are sitting down for a talk. I mean, the rest will probably show up in clips from like... trooping and such.

Thanks! I meant something like this, with "major" royal family members!:flowers:

The Church of England's representative in the House of Commons has urged councils to help people celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday by not charging communities for road closures.

Caroline Spelman said she would lobby the Local Government Association to make clear that communities should be able to celebrate the historic occasion on the weekend of June 11 without too much red tape.

She said local authorities should also temporarily stop requiring street parties to have insurance.
Read more: Drop charges for Queen's birthday celebrations urges Church

I am very much looking forward to the special documentary being shown - i am hopeful that after following the Queen and family on engagements for the past year we will get some behind the scenes footage
I remember that from such previous documentaries we saw the Diplomatic reception, the family christmas buckingham palace luncheon and other more typically unseen events. this would be a treat indeed. I wonder will we get some footage from Charlotte's christening?

I am very much looking forward to the special documentary being shown - i am hopeful that after following the Queen and family on engagements for the past year we will get some behind the scenes footage
I remember that from such previous documentaries we saw the Diplomatic reception, the family christmas buckingham palace luncheon and other more typically unseen events. this would be a treat indeed. I wonder will we get some footage from Charlotte's christening?
I really hope we get some behind the scenes like that from some of the bigger family events as well :) I know alot of people would love to get a better look at Kate's tiara on this years Diplomatic reception for example :p But yeah, I would be happy with any kind of behind the scenes family interaction :D

Peter Phillips devised the Patron’s Fund to arrange a mass street party on The Mall for the 600 charities and organisations supported by his grandmother. The charity then contracted his own events firm to make all the arrangements for an undisclosed fee.
Phillips, the 38-year-old son of Princess Anne, has since resigned as a trustee of the Patron’s Fund to avoid a conflict of interest under Charity Commission rules-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/t...p-a-charity-that-gave-his-own-firm#.wo9oMr8dP

More from this article:

Asked whether other companies had been invited to bid for the contract, a spokesman for the charity said: “There would be no Patron’s Lunch or Fund had [Phillips] not come up with the idea and taken it to get approved by the Palace in the way he did.”

Jamie Singer, a lawyer involved in organising the event, said Buckingham Palace had approved the concept for the lunch in the knowledge that Phillips would run it and that his company, SEL UK, would charge a management fee.

When the Patron’s Fund was established it needed three trustees and Phillips took one of the roles, Singer said. The role of SEL was discussed in detail with the Charity Commission, which found no reason why the company should be precluded from organising the lunch.

“It was however, always Mr Phillips’s intention to step down as a trustee once the Patron’s Fund was fully operational to ensure that there was no perceived conflict of interest and to ensure the integrity of the event and the charity were maintained,” Singer said.

“The process of appointing a replacement for Mr Phillips is well underway and will be confirmed in due course.”

A spokesman for the Charity Commission said: “The trustees informed us of the potential conflict of interest at the point of registration, but gave a written assurance to the Commission that the issue had been appropriately managed in accordance with the Charity Commission’s guidance.”

I don't understand how Ephraim Hardcastle and Sebastian Shakespeare is getting away with all their ridiculous lies and errors.

BBC falls short with low-key coverage of Queen's 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online
Is the BBC falling short in its low-key coverage of the Queen’s 90th birthday? ITV has exclusive access to Windsor Castle for Ant and Dec’s live birthday celebration show – and has the first exclusive interview with the Duchess of Cambridge.

Is the monarchy now an embarrassment to the Corporation? Many of its staff are neutral, or anti-monarchy. It’s also under pressure to provide a platform for anti-monarchists. Free-to-do-what-it-likes ITV seems more relaxed about – and more popular with – the monarchy.

This is one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The BBC announced more of its plans last week, including a "landmark documentary" and three days of live events in June. Events coverage will also include BBC One broadcasting live from the Commonwealth Observance Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 14.

I've never seen so much BBC coverage for a royal birthday, and they even said that further coverage will be announced in due course. So the BBC coverage is far from low-key and much bigger than ITV's coverage.

BBC - BBC announces further programming to mark The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations - Media Centre
BBC One will then broadcast three days of live events to mark The Queen's official 90th birthday beginning on Friday 10th June with a service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral. There will be the traditional display of pageantry of The Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping The Colour) on Saturday 11 June on Horse Guards Parade, culminating with members of The Royal Family making their annual appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to the delight of thousands of people gathered along the Mall.

On Sunday 12 June, BBC One will broadcast a special celebration taking place on The Mall to close the weekend of birthday celebrations. The iconic stretch will be transformed for The Patron's Lunch with 10,000 people gathered to celebrate The Queen's patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday. The one-off fundraising spectacle will be a classic British 'street party' where guests will enjoy a hamper-style lunch at tables positioned along the full length of The Mall, with carnival-style entertainment and Union flags aplenty. The Queen will be joined by other members of The Royal Family to celebrate the occasion. The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are Joint Presidents of The Patron's Lunch.

Alongside coverage of these events, the BBC will broadcast a range of special programming including a landmark BBC One documentary to mark The Queen's 90th birthday, documentaries on Radio 2 and the World Service, and coverage on BBC News outlets around the country.

Further coverage will be announced in due course.

Charlotte Moore, Controller, TV Channels and iPlayer says: "The BBC is offering an unrivalled range and breadth of programmes to mark Her Majesty 90th birthday, including landmark documentaries and extensive television coverage with special events marking the occasion. This is a significant moment for the nation and the BBC will be right at the heart of the celebrations."

Back
Top Bottom