The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In April Queen Elizabeth II will become the first reigning British monarch to reach the age of 90. Here is our guide to how to join in the celebrations

Queen Elizabeth II's 90th birthday celebrations will be one of the highlights of 2016, and you can play your part by following our guide to the festivities.

Events will be taking place in April, May and June, some of which are free and some of which require tickets, but the key is to plan ahead if you want to participate.

We have included links to websites where you can buy tickets and where you can download forms for street parties. We will be updating this page whenever new information is available.
Read more: Queen's 90th birthday: when is it and how will it be celebrated? - Telegraph

Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
So far the reports say that it will be comments by Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine so I assume those are the only (or biggest) ones that are sitting down for a talk. I mean, the rest will probably show up in clips from like... trooping and such.

Thanks! I meant something like this, with "major" royal family members!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Church of England's representative in the House of Commons has urged councils to help people celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday by not charging communities for road closures.

Caroline Spelman said she would lobby the Local Government Association to make clear that communities should be able to celebrate the historic occasion on the weekend of June 11 without too much red tape.

She said local authorities should also temporarily stop requiring street parties to have insurance.
Read more: Drop charges for Queen's birthday celebrations urges Church
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I am very much looking forward to the special documentary being shown - i am hopeful that after following the Queen and family on engagements for the past year we will get some behind the scenes footage
I remember that from such previous documentaries we saw the Diplomatic reception, the family christmas buckingham palace luncheon and other more typically unseen events. this would be a treat indeed. I wonder will we get some footage from Charlotte's christening?

Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I am very much looking forward to the special documentary being shown - i am hopeful that after following the Queen and family on engagements for the past year we will get some behind the scenes footage
I remember that from such previous documentaries we saw the Diplomatic reception, the family christmas buckingham palace luncheon and other more typically unseen events. this would be a treat indeed. I wonder will we get some footage from Charlotte's christening?
I really hope we get some behind the scenes like that from some of the bigger family events as well :) I know alot of people would love to get a better look at Kate's tiara on this years Diplomatic reception for example :P But yeah, I would be happy with any kind of behind the scenes family interaction
Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Heir Apparent

How the Queen conquered America in a stunning Norman Hartnell dress - Telegraph

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rthy-Pope.html
Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen to mark her 90th birthday with free cupcakes at Balmoral - Mirror Online
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

La reina Sofía llenará el vacío que los reyes han dejado en Londres

Queen Sofia will attend the centennial gala of the British-Spanish Society on the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, April 20, in London as Guest of Honor.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Phillips devised the Patron’s Fund to arrange a mass street party on The Mall for the 600 charities and organisations supported by his grandmother. The charity then contracted his own events firm to make all the arrangements for an undisclosed fee.
Phillips, the 38-year-old son of Princess Anne, has since resigned as a trustee of the Patron’s Fund to avoid a conflict of interest under Charity Commission rules-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/th...irm#.wo9oMr8dP

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I think he made the right decision...
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Royal Highness

More from this article:

Quote:
Asked whether other companies had been invited to bid for the contract, a spokesman for the charity said: “There would be no Patron’s Lunch or Fund had [Phillips] not come up with the idea and taken it to get approved by the Palace in the way he did.”

Jamie Singer, a lawyer involved in organising the event, said Buckingham Palace had approved the concept for the lunch in the knowledge that Phillips would run it and that his company, SEL UK, would charge a management fee.

When the Patron’s Fund was established it needed three trustees and Phillips took one of the roles, Singer said. The role of SEL was discussed in detail with the Charity Commission, which found no reason why the company should be precluded from organising the lunch.

“It was however, always Mr Phillips’s intention to step down as a trustee once the Patron’s Fund was fully operational to ensure that there was no perceived conflict of interest and to ensure the integrity of the event and the charity were maintained,” Singer said.

“The process of appointing a replacement for Mr Phillips is well underway and will be confirmed in due course.”

A spokesman for the Charity Commission said: “The trustees informed us of the potential conflict of interest at the point of registration, but gave a written assurance to the Commission that the issue had been appropriately managed in accordance with the Charity Commission’s guidance.”
Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

I don't understand how Ephraim Hardcastle and Sebastian Shakespeare is getting away with all their ridiculous lies and errors.

BBC falls short with low-key coverage of Queen's 90th birthday | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Is the BBC falling short in its low-key coverage of the Queen’s 90th birthday? ITV has exclusive access to Windsor Castle for Ant and Dec’s live birthday celebration show – and has the first exclusive interview with the Duchess of Cambridge.

Is the monarchy now an embarrassment to the Corporation? Many of its staff are neutral, or anti-monarchy. It’s also under pressure to provide a platform for anti-monarchists. Free-to-do-what-it-likes ITV seems more relaxed about – and more popular with – the monarchy.
This is one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The BBC announced more of its plans last week, including a "landmark documentary" and three days of live events in June. Events coverage will also include BBC One broadcasting live from the Commonwealth Observance Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 14.

I've never seen so much BBC coverage for a royal birthday, and they even said that further coverage will be announced in due course. So the BBC coverage is far from low-key and much bigger than ITV's coverage.

BBC - BBC announces further programming to mark The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations - Media Centre
Quote:
BBC One will then broadcast three days of live events to mark The Queen's official 90th birthday beginning on Friday 10th June with a service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral. There will be the traditional display of pageantry of The Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping The Colour) on Saturday 11 June on Horse Guards Parade, culminating with members of The Royal Family making their annual appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to the delight of thousands of people gathered along the Mall.

On Sunday 12 June, BBC One will broadcast a special celebration taking place on The Mall to close the weekend of birthday celebrations. The iconic stretch will be transformed for The Patron's Lunch with 10,000 people gathered to celebrate The Queen's patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday. The one-off fundraising spectacle will be a classic British 'street party' where guests will enjoy a hamper-style lunch at tables positioned along the full length of The Mall, with carnival-style entertainment and Union flags aplenty. The Queen will be joined by other members of The Royal Family to celebrate the occasion. The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are Joint Presidents of The Patron's Lunch.

Alongside coverage of these events, the BBC will broadcast a range of special programming including a landmark BBC One documentary to mark The Queen's 90th birthday, documentaries on Radio 2 and the World Service, and coverage on BBC News outlets around the country.

Further coverage will be announced in due course.

Charlotte Moore, Controller, TV Channels and iPlayer says: "The BBC is offering an unrivalled range and breadth of programmes to mark Her Majesty 90th birthday, including landmark documentaries and extensive television coverage with special events marking the occasion. This is a significant moment for the nation and the BBC will be right at the heart of the celebrations."
Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps Shakespeare and Hardcastle (what names!) are going to be talking heads on an ITV programme about the Queen and are therefore spruiking it up!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Perhaps Shakespeare and Hardcastle (what names!) are going to be talking heads on an ITV programme about the Queen and are therefore spruiking it up!

Snort!! Good one!!

ROYAL NORWAY, it's the DM and two of the trashier Royal "reporters" out there. Do what the majority of us have learned over the years : Consider the source and then ignore.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Snort!! Good one!!

ROYAL NORWAY, it's the DM and two of the trashier Royal "reporters" out there. Do what the majority of us have learned over the years : Consider the source and then ignore.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
You're right and that's what I usually do, but when it comes to these two and the Danish royal expert Trine Villemann, then I just can't ignore it. And the problem with Shakespeare and Hardcastle is that many people believe in what they write.

I know we complains about the mail/fail and I can't believe I'm writing this, but I actually think that they are not serious enough to write/work there. They should apply for a job in the globe.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ant and Dec recently bagged themselves a seriously high-profile gig. The award-winning Britain's Got Talent and I'm A Celebrity... presenters are set to lead ITV's coverage of Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday.

And it seems the request for the Geordie duo came from surprisingly high up.

"Apparently she asked for us to do it," the pair reveal on tonight's Graham Norton Show.

"We don’t really know how it happened but can only imagine she’s called Charles and asked if he knew anyone that could do it? and he’s said, 'I’ve just met a couple of lads who’ve been following me around for a year.'"
Read more: Ant and Dec on Graham Norton Show: Queen asked us to do 90th birthday celebrations
Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

C of E unveils logo for Queen Elizabeth’s 90 birthday
Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Royal Highness

A very sweet design and a great message. What an honour for the boy :)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sinn Fein and SDLP Derry & Strabane Councillors have agreed to spend around £600 on beacons to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday.

All nationalist and unionist parties all backed the move at the February meeting of the Council’s Health and Community Committee sitting in Strabane on Thursday, while concerns were raised by some of the Independent Councillors present.

The UK-wide Beacon Lighting Ceremony will mark Queen Elizabeth II’s official birthday on April 21, 2016.
Read more: Nationalist Councillors agree to spend £600 on Queen’s birthday - Londonderry Sentinel
Old 02-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Royal Highness

Queen jigsaw maker Dave Evans aims to set new world record - BBC News
Quote:
A jigsaw maker who gained fame when his 40,000-piece Queen's Jubilee puzzle collapsed is hoping to beat his own world record with a new attempt.

Dave Evans set a Guinness World Record for the largest hand-cut, wooden jigsaw in 2013 - despite it collapsing as the final piece was put in.

He now hopes to cut a larger puzzle to mark the Queen's 90th birthday, he told the Dorset Echo.

He said he hoped his skill, not a collapse, would be remembered.
I hope it's goes better this time.