90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope Britian and Commonwealth really get out and make these celebrations an event like no other. The Queen is now in the last years of her life. Let's go above and beyond in celebrating her life and say thank you to her for her many years of service and dedication.

Although it may not mean a hill of beans, I'm getting into the spirit of things here on a mountain in West Virginia and going to do an extensive spring cleaning around here. I love the expression "Clean for the Queen". I'm also really looking forward to seeing as much of the celebrations I can and follow them extensively here at TRF.

She is one extraordinary lady and deserves extraordinary celebrations. Even me with my mop and bucket. :D

The Queen was dragged into a dramatic row over the European Union referendum amid warnings that Downing Street could try to hijack her 90th birthday celebrations to boost the case for staying in the EU.

Senior sources warned that they were worried the Queen could come under pressure to show her support for Britain's continuing EU membership during her official 90th birthday celebrations in mid-June.

Preparations are under way for a weekend of celebrations to honour the Queen’s official 90th birthday in mid-June, including a service at St Paul’s Cathedral and a street party for 10,000 guests in The Mall.

However, there are fears that the government could try to “spin” the events – and any message to the nation from the Queen – to bolster the case for the Remain campaign in the referendum vote that will be held 11 days later.

One said: “There is concern that she could be asked to drop a hint. The Palace is determined to protect the Queen this year.”
Read more: Aides fear Downing Street will hijack Queen's birthday - Telegraph

Thanks. :)

Wouldn't such an attempt backfire big time?

I think after many, many years on the throne, HM would be wise to any political ploy to "spin" anything that she happens to say. Other than maybe expressing her gratitude for the well wishes from the people, she will say absolutely nothing.

She is *the* mistress of tact and diplomacy.

Image of Queen 20 times smaller than human hair carved to celebrate 90th birthday | Royal | News | Daily Express
Graham Short spent three months carving the world’s smallest picture of Her Majesty, which at five microns is a 20th of the thickness of a human hair.

The image is invisible to the naked eye and can only be seen with a medical microscope at 400x magnification.

It took Mr Short, 69, around 30 attempts before he was able to complete it. Engraving at such a level requires an almost superhuman effort and dedication.

Mr Short said: “I take potassium, magnesium and beta-blockers during the night in an effort to lower my heart rate.

“Then, while wearing a stethoscope, I engrave using the finest needles possible between my heart beats.

“I work from midnight to 5.30am to avoid vibration from passing traffic. If a lorry passes a few blocks away I can feel it through the microscope.”

He also has a regular course of Botox injections into his eyelids to “prevent distraction”.

Next month the Queen will become the first reigning British monarch to reach her 90th birthday.

Birmingham based Mr Short, who also engraves all the stationery for the royal residences, said: “Artists all over Britain will be producing portraits of the Queen. I wanted to do something really special, something that none of the seven billion people on the planet could comprehend.”

Ascot to rename Gold Cup to honour Queen's 90th birthday - BBC Sport
This year's Gold Cup at the Royal meeting will be renamed to mark the Queen's 90th birthday, Ascot racecourse has announced.

The two-and-a-half mile race, won by Her Majesty's Estimate in 2013, will now be called the Gold Cup in Honour of The Queen's 90th birthday.

Her Majesty's representative at Ascot, Johnny Weatherby, said the Queen is "delighted" by the decision.

The race, which will be run on 16 June, will revert to the Gold Cup in 2017.

Volunteers pick litter ahead of Queen's 90th birthday | London - ITV News
Gloves were on and bags were hand as volunteers gave up their Sunday out in the cold to clean for the Queen in Kensington.

It's a government backed idea asking people to spend a few hours picking up litter ahead of the Queen's 90th birthday.

Why clean now? The Queen's official birthday celebrations takes place in June.

There is some event with other Royal families?

Why clean now? The Queen's official birthday celebrations takes place in June.

Well... for starters there's a lot of planning that goes into it which may take a month. So I figure with HM's actual birth date in April and the official birthday in June, I've plenty of leeway to really get things done and done right just as all the planning for the extravaganzas are being done with utmost care. Gotta rope in the crew here and get them on board for the project. I really don't think our Dawg is going to be much help. :D

Thanks Duke of Marmalade. :)

That's unfair towards QEII.
She's going on 90 and she's a product of her time. No one can expect her to be fully up to date on what is currently politically correct.

The DM is doing a stories of stories for the the Queen's 90th birthday.

Considering it's Richard Kay And Geoffrey Levy doing the 'writing', we need to take it with a 1000 grains of salt. Remember the headline - "Royal Reporters make it all up, doesn't everyone know that?"

Might be a bit off topic, though that's nothing unusual when I'm involved, but does the UK parliament have a say in the rules of the Church of England concerning for example who should be able to get married or not?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Might be a bit off topic, though that's nothing unusual when I'm involved, but does the UK parliament have a say in the rules of the Church of England concerning for example who should be able to get married or not?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As the established church, the Church of England is regulated by the UK parliament, so, yes, parliament does have a say in church rules generally.

Having said that, if I understand it correctly, when same-sex marriage was legalized in the UK, not only was the Church of England exempted from being forced to celebrate same-sex marriages, but also the Church's canon which defines marriage as a union between a man and woman was confirmed as not being in conflict with civil law. That was introduced in the legislation to accomodate the Church's objections to the bill.

The Royal locomotive to steam back into service on Queen's 90th birthday - Get West London
Steam train enthusiasts in Hounslow can catch a glimpse or prepare to board a royal locomotive the Princess Elizabeth locomotive in April.

In celebration of The Queen’s 90th birthday on Thursday April 21 2016, the Princess Elizabeth will embark on her first outing following a three-year refurbishment.

To mark the momentous occasion, The Cathedrals Express team have restored her back to her former glory, and ‘Lizzie’, as she is affectionately known will stop to pick up passengers in Hounslow.

People with a ticket can board the Royal train which is set to chug in at 6.40pm on a two-and-a-half-hour round trip , hauled by the very engine that was named after her in 1933.

The 6201 Princess Elizabeth will return to the tracks for the 90th Birthday Tour.

VOLUNTEERS across the Somerton area donned gloves and grabbed their litter picking tongs to help spruce up the streets for the Queen's 90th birthday.

On Saturday (March 5) people across the country took part in Clean For The Queen, a nationwide campaign to clean up Britain in time for the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.

In Somerton, 15 volunteers, including town councillors Fiona Richardson and Martyn Smith, collected 38 bags of rubbish, together with miscellaneous pieces of scrap metal and other large items.

Litter was collected from 32 different areas including Polham Lane, Perry Hill Lane, the Horsemill Lane viewing area and the Unicorn and Half Moon car parks.
Read more: Clean For The Queen: Somerton and Curry Rivel volunteers clean up | Western Gazette

RESIDENTS of the Firwood Fold area cleaned for the Queen initiative and collected more than 28 bags of rubbish.

Barbara Hacket, Peter Lowe, Trevor Hacket, Elizabeth Gibbons and Howard Gibbons all took part in the litter pick.

Mr Gibbons said: "I was appalled and disheartened by the volume of rubbish discarded around two lovely coarse angling locations located in this beautiful Firwood Fold area adjacent to Bradshaw Brook."
Firwood Fold residents collect 28 bags of rubbish as they 'clean for the Queen' (From This Is Lancashire)

Woman's Weekly Mag ‏@Womans_Weekly
Our special commemorative magazine to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday is in shops now and not to be missed!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcJ5fpXUEAE_wV4.jpg

That's great! :)

I simply love steam locomotives. They are endlessly fascinating and beautiful machines.
They have a style that electric and diesel engines simply haven't evolved yet. :cool:

I love them too. We have two that go in tourist/special traffic in Norway, and you are right, they are very fascinating and beautiful machines.

The BBC has chosen to broadcast the service as part of the 90th birthday celebrations, so I post it here.

BBC One will broadcast live from the Commonwealth Observance Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 14, from 14:45 British time. The service, attended by members of the Royal Family including The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will also be streamed internationally on bbc.com:
BBC One - The Queen's 90th Birthday: A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day

I'm looking forward to seeing this doc.

"In this two-hour landmark programme celebrating The Queen's 90th birthday, ITV cameras have been granted close access to the work of Her Majesty and other members of the Royal Family across the United Kingdom and overseas during the last year"

Our Queen at Ninety Episode 1
Our Queen at Ninety includes individual contributions from many key figures in her life, including Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry, The Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, The Countess of Wessex and Peter Phillips.

In addition, leading national and international figures will feature, including Prime Minister David Cameron, along with famous faces from the world of sport and entertainment, as well as material from the most comprehensive international film archives.

Viewers will also see Her Majesty attending and hosting various events, including a reception for the Rugby World Cup and the Chinese State Visit, as well as seeing Her Majesty working and relaxing at home.

Speaking about Her Majesty, HRH The Prince of Wales says: “I said to my mother the other day, do you realise that when you reach 90 I shall have known you for 68 years, she had to laugh a little bit.”

He continued: “When you think that all these years the Queen has been on throne, that in itself is a huge achievement, coping with so many different challenges and complications and always being there really in that remarkable way – steadfast.”

As she reaches her 90th birthday, this film aims to offer a fresh insight into our monarch's life and work; a remarkable story of an extraordinary life which in so many ways reflects the changing face of the nation.

The Queen's birthday: Date confirmed for highly anticipated documentary Our Queen at Ninety
ITV have confirmed the transmission date of their highly anticipated documentary to mark the Queen's 90th birthday. Called Our Queen at Ninety, the two-hour long film will air on Sunday 27 March at 8pm.

Last edited:
Emily Nash ‏@emynash
Charles, William, Kate, Harry, Andrew and Eugenie have paid tribute to the Queen in an @ITV documentary #OurQueenat90 which airs March 27

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on #PrincessCharlotte "It's very special having a new little girl. I feel very, very lucky that George has got a little sister."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate: "The Queen was really thrilled that it was a little girl..as soon as we came back to Kensington she was one of our first visitors."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on HM: “She's been very generous in not being forceful at all in any of her views..she's been there, a gentle guidance really for me.”

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate on walkabouts: "Everyone teases me in the family that I spend far too long chatting...I've still got to learn a little bit more."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#Kate: "George is only 2 1/2and he calls her ‘Gan-Gan.’ She always leaves a little gift or something in their room when we go and stay.."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
William on the #Queen: "I've seen people literally faint in front of her. There's a lot of trembling knees and people can't talk sometimes."

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#PrinceHarry on his grandmother #TheQueen: "I have been asking her for years what her secret is, but she won’t tell me.” @ITV #OurQueenat90

This is an article you simply must read. It's written by Robert Hardman who also wrote this documentary and the documentary Our Queen in 2013. He is also the author of the book Our Queen.
Our Queen At Ninety documentary follows The Queen as she turns 90 | Daily Mail Online

includes what many and hoped footage of the Diplomatic Reception - a picture of Kate is in the article which properly shows her in the Cambridge tiara and that ice blue mcQueen gown can be seen better

Videos:
Our Queen at 90: New film offers rare glimpse into Queen's life as she approaches 90th birthday - ITV News

Hopefully not every thing in the documentary will be revealed before it aired and there is still more of Kate especially that we don't see until it airs. They hyped William's interview prior to the Our Queen documentary and almost all of it was out due the to articles prior to air.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom