The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Peter Phillips says he and his company applied for the rights to host this event just like everyone else.

Brilliant he just happened to win the contract

Old 01-15-2016, 06:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Brilliant he just happened to win the contract
If Mr Phillips' quote was as good as the others, hy wouldn't the Palace chose his? After all it's likely the personal connection will ensure due care is taken with the complex arrangements involved.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Its sort like Zara wanting us to believe she receives all those Hello magazine covers and interviews based solely on her equestrian talents.

I can't remember the last time William Fox-Pitt was on the cover of Hello
Old 01-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness

Old 01-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Royal Highness

Good on him by all accounts a very nice young man making his own living. Just what we want him to do

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm assuming the $150 covers the cost of the wicker picnic basket too? Perhaps they should offer a "plain brown box" option for the charities who keep an eye on administrative cost.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't have an issue with Peter organising the event but don't pretend it's not because he's the Queen's grandson

William and Harry are Co-Presidents of the Patron's Lunch so its a family affair
Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Phillips says its 'a little strange' having the Queen as his grandmother | Daily Mail Online

"SEL is being paid a set fee basically to take this from sign-off from the Palace through to delivery of the event,’ he confirmed in an interview to publicize the celebration.
‘I was very conscious to make sure we did this properly, so we went through the normal channels of approaching the Palace. We had to show that this wasn’t a case of trying to cut corners because the Queen happens to be my grandmother.’
Describing his conversation with the Queen he recalled: ‘I said, “Oh, by the way you may or may not have heard that we are having conversations with your office about this”….She said “I’ve heard you’re up to something”.’
Peter said the idea for the street party had come up during ‘conversations with my business partners’ more than two years ago and just ‘snowballed’. "
Old 01-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Queen is "excited" about her upcoming 90th birthday celebrations, her grandson Peter Phillips has told ITV News. Ten thousand guests - the vast majority of which will be representatives from charities and organisations linked to the Queen - will attend the Patron's Lunch event, something the royal said was a "tad daunting"-

Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, I'm very happy that the grandsons are involved in this street party. It does make it more of a "family affair" and its a way that they can do something special for their grandmother in a behind the scenes kind of way. I'm sure Peter made sure that business was conducted like any other business proposition transaction but perhaps being the Queen's grandson did give him the edge on things but mostly because, with knowing his client, he could give more of a personal slant on likes/dislikes, colors and little things like that.

It sounds like it is going to be a wonderful celebration and hopefully I'll be able to see some of it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

No matter how he went about it there will be many who claim it was a 'jobs for the boys' set up and that he and his firm only got the gig because he is the Queen's grandson, and there is also probably some justification in that. Would it have been seriously considered if it had been suggested by some other firm???
Old 01-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No matter how he went about it there will be many who claim it was a 'jobs for the boys' set up and that he and his firm only got the gig because he is the Queen's grandson, and there is also probably some justification in that. Would it have been seriously considered if it had been suggested by some other firm???
The optimist in me wants to say yes because if they had the best presentation, they would have won the contract.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

From reading what Peter said though it was their suggestion - so no other competitors even were asked to submit a bid to take on the organisation. It wasn't an open tender process. This is clearly a case of The Queen helping one of her grandchildren make a success of an event.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This June, BBC One will broadcast a long weekend of live events to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s official 90th birthday on Saturday 11th June.

The weekend of birthday celebrations for the landmark anniversary begins on Friday 10 June with a service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral, and the traditional display of pageantry of the Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour) will be held on Saturday 11 June on Horse Guards Parade, culminating with the Royal Family making their annual appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

BBC One will also broadcast a special celebration on The Mall in St James's Park taking place on Sunday 12th June to close the weekend of birthday celebrations. The iconic stretch will be transformed for its largest ever street party with 10,000 people gathered to celebrate The Queen’s patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday for The Patron’s Lunch.
BBC One to Broadcast HM The Queen's 90th Birthday Weekend | News on News
Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

A friend told me today that they are organising a street party where they live for the event - it makes me think of having a garden party at home that weekend!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
From reading what Peter said though it was their suggestion - so no other competitors even were asked to submit a bid to take on the organisation. It wasn't an open tender process. This is clearly a case of The Queen helping one of her grandchildren make a success of an event.
Or another way to see it as her trusting a family member to plan things that are, at their base, very personal. A Birthday party is a personal thing, especially at landmark years. But the Queen understands the public aspect of her life as well. And the influence it can have on her efforts. She, after all invented the York investiture ceremony for Charles.
I think sometimes, they forget how things will look to you and I. They never intend to do ill or even for it to seem like they are making money off of what they do. The burden of keeping up/using the palaces without poisoning users with lead or asbestos or otherwise destroying the historic architecture is huge. The cost of security is enormous. But so is the pressure to be PUBLIC.
And so, less wise decisions get made. It's what happens when a monarch is apart from the people. IMO, it's why William and Harry hold/held real jobs - so they can have a realistic perspective on how things look to those they will serve. I just believe that at this point, they have almost no influence on what we used to call the men in grey that serve HM. Or that HM does not ask them. Sad, because it might be enlightening.
And finally, while Peter could donate the effort, if he wants to be part of a sustained and profitable organization, he does need to show a profit.
Else-wise, let volunteers run the effort when she turns 95. Lesson learned.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Mystery benefactors are paying £200,000 for a large statue of the Queen to be sculpted and placed in the centre of Gravesend to mark her birthday.

Gravesham council is commissioning the artwork - which is one and half times larger than Queen Elizabeth herself - for her 90th later this year.

It is believed to be the only statue which will show Her Majesty seated. She will be dressed in full Order of the Garter robes and it will be mounted on a stone plinth.
Read more: Gravesham council commissions unique statue of Queen Elizabeth II for her 90th birthday
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

How very nice :) Hope it turns out well :)
Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

It sounds most impressive and I'm sure will be eye catching. Instead of a statue, though, which might deteriorate through the decades, and attract bird poo as most statues do sooner or later, it's a pity something like scholarships at local schools or endowments of some kind to help the local community couldn't have been thought of first. £200,000 could really help an awful lot of people.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

While scholarships would be nice, they have to be sustained. 200,000 would only last so long in scholarships. Unless the benefators were willing to continue contributing, there would be an end in sight to the scholarship. Statue is an one time investment that can last for decades if not more.

It is private investors/benefactors paying for it. They have the right to choose what the money goes to. If it was the local government paying for it, there definitely could be argued how the money is spent.