The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Now that the colour has been presented the companies are now forming wide front in order to march past QEII.
Notice the two officers walking in front of the companies, they are being given directions by the sergeants walking in the formation behind them. "A little slower, sir - A little to the left, sir". So that the formation is perfect, since the officers can't look back to check their position.

When passing QEII the soldiers salute by doing an eyes right. Except for the soldiers at the ends. They look straight ahead in order for the company to keep marching in the right direction.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The Sky news YouTube works but it's just regular news right now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 06-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This poor soldier collapsed!

Trooping The Colour 2016 | Getty Images
Old 06-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Majesty

QEII acknowledge, very correctly, the salute by the soldiers passing by with a nod.

I understand that a good deal of the guardsmen are relatively new in service.

Now it's almost time for the cavalry.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Sky news YouTube works but it's just regular news right now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
The trooping have been on for an hour now on that Sky News video.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Looks like she's recycling her outfit from Charlotte's Christening!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Doesn't the Sky News live YouTube video I posted here work?
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country" is the message, sadly.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Majesty

Unfortunately I can't provide a working link for TV2 outside DK, the transmission here is non-stop.

Right now the Kings Troop has passed. It's mounted field artillery, consisting of 47 % females. One cannon is believed to be the one that fired the first shot at the Battle of Somme 1916.

Now the Blues and Royals are passing QEII, fortunately in good order, because it's not natural for horses to stand still for a longer period, so the can have a tendency to be eager.

Behind the squadrons ride the farriers who are issued a spiked axe.
The purpose was to hack off the hoof of a horse when it died to prove that
it really was dead and not been sold. The number of the horse was written on the hoof.
But on the battlefield it was the task of the farriers to put wounded horses out of their misery. And to do that they used the spiked end of the axe on the head of the horse.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

This website allows you to watch UK TV outside the UK - just download the user-friendly app and be able to watch what you wants. I use it myself when I'm in Norway, and I recommend it to others:
Mediahhh Free UK TV Anywhere

I am in Norway now, but I watch the BBC One coverage on BBC World News.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely to see James and Louise in a carriage.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Majesty

It's close to the end now.

The national anthem is played and as a sign of respect the colour is lowered and placed partly on the ground.
That would be unthinkable in DK, because the regimental colours here are Dannebrog with the regimental crest, and Dannebrog is never allowed to touch the ground.
In Britain the colour was carried side by side with Union Jack in battle.

Soon the royals will return to Buckingham Palace for the balcony scene and fly-over.

The Regimental Sergeant-Major is walking across the parade ground wearing his pace-stick under the arm. The purpose of the stick is not (well, not all the time) to whack recruits over the back, but to measure the distance between files in a formation.
The Regimental Sergeant-Major, the senior NCO, along with company sergeant-majors is the one responsible for the discipline, drill and presentation of the soldiers on a daily basis.
In other words: The sergeant-majors ensured the soldiers were competent, for the officers to lead.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

This image of a soldier lying on the ground seems so familiar. There's always one who seems to faint. Could someone please enlighten me, is it the weight of their headgear? What causes such strain on these trained young men?
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
This image of a soldier lying on the ground seems so familiar. There's always one who seems to faint. Could someone please enlighten me, is it the weight of their headgear? What causes such strain on these trained young men?
Nerves, heat, personal stress, weight of the headgear. Whilst I imagine it's not intended all these events are quite pressure heavy and stressful.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Royal Highness

HM are leaving the Horse Guards Parade.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It's typically because of dehydration or poor blood circulation. So all soldiers, not only in the guards, are taught to drink before a parade, especially when it's hot and first and foremost to rock slighty on the feet to ensure the blood-flow.
Otherwise you drop and that can happen fast!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Nerves, heat, personal stress, weight of the headgear. Whilst I imagine it's not intended all these events are quite pressure heavy and stressful.
Thanks Lumutqueen. How much does the headgear actually weigh? I was very impressed to see the Duke of Edinburgh - at 95! - still wearing it. He's made of steel I think
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Doesn't the Sky News live YouTube video I posted here work?
Its working wonderfully well for me here. Thanks much for posting this link.

I noticed that on the seat opposite HM, there is the ever faithful umbrella all set and ready in matching bright green.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

The BBC coverage is very good, as usual - the Sky News coverage is also good.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's typically because of dehydration or poor blood circulation. So all soldiers, not only in the guards, are taught to drink before a parade, especially when it's hot and first and foremost to rock slighty on the feet to ensure the blood-flow.
Otherwise you drop and that can happen fast!
I had no idea. Thanks! Must be quite embarrassing for the guy who faints. He'll be hearing about it for years on end from his mates I'm sure!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Thanks Lumutqueen. How much does the headgear actually weigh? I was very impressed to see the Duke of Edinburgh - at 95! - still wearing it. He's made of steel I think
Some three kilos. So it is impressive for a man his age.