The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Gentry

It was nice to see Lady Davina Lewis and her husband Gary Lewis

They were sitting in the second row behind Wills and Kate

I'm not sure if she is still living in New Zealand, they don't seem to be around much

Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks for your wealth of info.

And you are absolutely right. Don't know about Norwegian TV, but Danish TV cover QEII's birthday massively and live! Not to mention about 45 minutes every day this past week with portraits of the BRF in general and QEII in particular.
The coverage of the BRF for many years has almost consistently gone from positive to very positive. Even the controversies have been covered in an explanatory rather than sensational let alone judgmental way - albeit it with a slight sigh of relief that we don't have had the same problems in the DRF.

At least the majority of royal watchers here in DK genuinely like the pomp and circumstances surrounding the BRF events. Presumably because the DRF also use a good deal of glitter and festive effects, certainly in comparison to the other Scandinavian families with big robes and tiaras all over the place at every opportunity. Albeit more subdued than the BRF, because in Danish context that would be a bit over the top.
But the British royalists are also very much considered part of the show! Because British royalists are much more colorful and theatrical than Danish royalists. It's a show for full throttle and who doesn't like a good show?

As for Ulla Therkelsen. She is brilliant in conveying what goes on in the BRF in a funny, easy to understand but nevertheless matter of fact and very fair way. Without leaving out controversies as well as successes.
She also enjoy a good show, and the bigger hats the better! So she is in her right element when covering a BRF event.
Thanks to you too, Muhler!

I'm not very active on the Danish forum (because I don't have the time), but I follow the DRF almost as much as I do with BRF and NRF. And therefore I can say that I agree with you, as usual (also on Ulla Therkelsen), but I think it is a bit over the top to describe HM as the world's biggest party girl who loves to celebrate herself. Because according to those who know her, she is the opposite.

Quote:
Thanks , and she is poor, because...?

No rush with the reply, gotta pick up my daughter. Goodnight.
I am most interested in the monarchy as an institution and therefore I don't read many of her articles or twitter messages, but she writes a lot of ridiculous things about the younger royals.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not sure I was crazy about today's service. Everyone looked great, but the service didn't really move me. Sometimes I would like some members of the family to pay tribute at the service. Perhaps tell a funny story about their grandmother or something. I guess I'm looking for a personal touch at services like this.

Now, the young man performance on the piano was good, but no one applauded afterwards. I think everyone was a bit too stiff.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I thought Vicountess Linley's hat both edgy and a fun nod to some of the hats Her Majesty wore in the late 60s-70s.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/539...M8j692bw%3d%3d
... [snipped]
Thanks for the close up!

As a rule, Serena is an impeccable dresser. This particular ensemble sans the hat was nice. I still think that the hairstyle and hat combination was awkward.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I want to watch the service (I would have watched it today but I wasn't at home for most of it) so will watch your video, ROYAL NORWAY, thank you. In fact, I was in East London.

It was great to see many of HM's relatives joining her for the service, it was particularly nice to see appearances from the Earl of St. Andrews and his family as I haven't seen them for a while. I was surprised that Viscount Linley's children didn't attend, they are old enough, and sometimes attend whole family events (for example, they attended the Royal Windsor Horse Show for HM's birthday this year). Perhaps they wanted to go to school instead - Charles would be sitting his GCSEs this year if I've got his age correct.
I thought that fashion wise, aside from Catherine as I've already commented about her outfit in her fashion thread, made a good effort. The only outfit I didn't like was Beatrice's, the skeleton effect is a bit much for me.
I thought I saw margarita with her mother Serena but can't find the photo now
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Trooping the Colour 2016: BBC ONE 10:15AM
BBC One - Trooping the Colour

Outside of UK Viewers:
Mediahhh Free UK TV Anywhere

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Trooping the Colour 2016: BBC ONE 10:15AM
BBC One - Trooping the Colour

Outside of UK Viewers:
Mediahhh Free UK TV Anywhere
BBC World News will also broadcast it.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Not sure I was crazy about today's service. Everyone looked great, but the service didn't really move me. Sometimes I would like some members of the family to pay tribute at the service. Perhaps tell a funny story about their grandmother or something. I guess I'm looking for a personal touch at services like this.

Now, the young man performance on the piano was good, but no one applauded afterwards. I think everyone was a bit too stiff.
This was a religious Service of Thanksgiving to God, so dignity and formality were appropriate.
The young man on the piano would have been playing "for God" as part of the Service, so it would not have been correct for the congregation to applaud.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When it comes to pomp, circumstance and a whole lot of pageantry, no one does it better than the British! The Service of Thanksgiving was an excellent time also to see a prime example of the order of precedence as the members of the royal family entered the church and were seated.

So far, I've only been able to watch the service Royal Norway has posted up until the actual service began. With watching it on YouTube, I was quickly able to pass by Katie Nicholls. She lost my respect as a journalist with her book on William where she stated that Will and Kate made a private vow on some beach way back when that eventually they would marry. This was before the engagement was announced and I really doubt Nicholls would ever be privy to that kind of information.

I really enjoyed watching all the family arrive and their interactions between themselves. More and more I am seeing how Louise really resembles her grandmother quite a bit. Doesn't surprise me though as I've always thought that Edward resembled his mother most out of all four of her children. For the most part, watching them, I get the feeling that this family is a lot closer each other than we are led to believe.

I love it when HM wears yellow. A bright ray of sunshine. I did notice that the walk from the car to their seats seem to tire her out a bit but I don't think she'd ever want anyone to catch on to that. For a 90 and 95 year old couple, they are much more sprightly than a lot of people that are younger than they are.

Now, today I have to finish watching the service and hopefully catch Trooping the Color and the balcony scene. What a marvelous weekend!
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-11-2016, 02:10 AM
Royal Highness

Old 06-11-2016, 02:53 AM
Majesty

Perhaps I'm a bit daft but I've just recently noticed something. We all know that Elizabeth is Her Majesty, The Queen of the UK and all the rest that goes with it. Being American, I just noticed something with the great videos that Royal Norway has posted. Usually, when there's coverage of a royal event here in the US, the royal would be referred to as The Queen of Spain, The Crown Princess of Sweden, The Duchess of Cambridge (serious reporting and not the ones using Kate Middleton). Always an "of" somewhere.

Queen Elizabeth is just so iconic that they end up just using The Queen.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-11-2016, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
This was a religious Service of Thanksgiving to God, so dignity and formality were appropriate.
The young man on the piano would have been playing "for God" as part of the Service, so it would not have been correct for the congregation to applaud.
A church service will still remain dignified and formal if they applauded the man's performance.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-11-2016, 03:28 AM
Majesty

I'm in agreement with Valerie Rose on this. Although I've seen it happen in churches at weddings, I really don't feel it would have been appropriate for the congregation to applaud at HM's service. The entire service was put together to give thanks for a most wonderful Queen on her 90th birthday and every nuance in the program was to honor her. The musician's performance was his gift to her.
― John Lennon
Old 06-11-2016, 03:35 AM
Royal Highness

We don't clap singers etc at church unless you belong to the happy clappy church.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I'm not very active on the Danish forum (because I don't have the time), but I follow the DRF almost as much as I do with BRF and NRF. And therefore I can say that I agree with you, as usual (also on Ulla Therkelsen), but I think it is a bit over the top to describe HM as the world's biggest party girl who loves to celebrate herself. Because according to those who know her, she is the opposite.
Ah, that's TV2 and Ulla Therkelsen for you. They have a tendency to turn up the party-sound when the royal road-show is on.
I think she meant QEII is not afraid to go all in when there is a celebration and not that QEII is in any way egocentric. In other that QEII is not as stiff as many outside at least outside the Commonwealth perhaps thinks she is.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:51 AM
Royal Highness

Two days ago I posted some videos from the UK TV coverage from April 21 - Post 789:
90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

And here are some videos of the US coverage from April 21 - there were also several videos from both NBC and ABC, but they have been deleted.

Here you can see Baroness Scotland talk about HM's kindness:

And here CBS have interviewed Margaret Rhodes, who just talks to everybody. She spoke to BBC, ITV, Sky News, CNN, NBC and CBS.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 AM
Royal Highness

Already people outside the palace, and some people have slept outside again.

See Sky News live throughout the day - they've just talked to royal author Hugo Vickers, go back 20 min in the video:

Quote:
Ah, that's TV2 and Ulla Therkelsen for you. They have a tendency to turn up the party-sound when the royal road-show is on.
I think she meant QEII is not afraid to go all in when there is a celebration and not that QEII is in any way egocentric. In other that QEII is not as stiff as many outside at least outside the Commonwealth perhaps thinks she is.
Thanks Muhler!

And I know that Ulla Terkelsen didn't mean it as criticism, but she's right - the Queen celebrates like no other.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm in agreement with Valerie Rose on this. Although I've seen it happen in churches at weddings, I really don't feel it would have been appropriate for the congregation to applaud at HM's service. The entire service was put together to give thanks for a most wonderful Queen on her 90th birthday and every nuance in the program was to honor her. The musician's performance was his gift to her.
Right, that's why I think it would've been great if they had politely applauded his performance. No one saying for people to get up and cheer, but a nice and elegant clap wouldn't have hurt the service.

I also think it would've been nice and a very personal touch if one of The Queen's children or grandchildren made some remarks.

I just think people are used to theses services being very stiff, starchy, formal and expressionless and some real humor or personality would ruin the whole thing. I watched the service, but I guess I would've like to have seen some personal family touches to it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you all for updating to this thread but especially ROYAL NORWAY!! I can't post anything here because I fear that it has already done !!! However wonderful all the celebrations!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Right, that's why I think it would've been great if they had politely applauded his performance. No one saying for people to get up and cheer, but a nice and elegant clap wouldn't have hurt the service.

I also think it would've been nice and a very personal touch if one of The Queen's children or grandchildren made some remarks.

I just think people are used to theses services being very stiff, starchy, formal and expressionless and some real humor or personality would ruin the whole thing. I watched the service, but I guess I would've like to have seen some personal family touches to it.
That's exactly what makes it totally British. The pomp and circumstance with all the historic meanings and uniforms and symbols make it what it is. A solemn occasion to give thanks to the Divine. Theres a time and place for everything and I've never seen royal British church events presented as anything else but solemn and serious.

As far as the family goes, I think they've all mostly done their pieces in various documentaries and interviews leading up to this weekend. With this being a very public service, I thought it was nice that the speakers came from a range of various personages to pay tribute to their monarch.

― John Lennon