The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see Mia, Savannah and Isla on the balcony this year. My friend lives in London and I'm flying over to stay that weekend so we can go to The Mall for the carriage parade and balcony appearance.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Although I've already seen it, the Birthday Pageant was broadcasted live on NRK1 (Norway's biggest tv channel) tonight from 7:55pm to 21:35pm. The same happened in 2012 with the Diamond Jubilee Concert and with all the documentaries that NRK have bought from BBC/ITV about the Queen. Documentaries about the Norwegian, Danish and Swedish royal familys rarely get to air on that time. And even more rarely on a saturday.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree, if Charlotte is on the balcony, it much better she be in her parent's arms. It will be noisy and startling at that age, it certainly was for George and he was older. Being in her grandfather's arms would not offer as much comfort. If we want to see Charles with a grandkid, give him George.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm a little late but I thought the horse show was wonderful and it was so nice to see Lady Louise riding. It was sweet to see HM and Prince Philip's reactions to her appearance when the camera pulled back on them. I liked Azerbaijan's display the most, and the ending was a nice and thoughtful touch. It seems that HM loved each minute of it!

Regarding Charlotte on the balcony, I doubt we will see her this year. I think she's a little too young for it at the moment, but I can imagine that George will attend again. I agree with crm2317 that it would be nice to see Savannah, Isla and Mia present this year too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen's 90th birthday compilation album 'Happy & Glorious' to feature The Beatles | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 05-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy

I am not sure if this is the place to ask this question. It sort of applies in this category but is much broader. Why did the British Royal Family not consider the Queen's 90th birthday a reason to have a tiara wearing event? Recently King Carl Gustaf's 75th birthday was celebrated and there was a tiara event. It seems that 90th birthday is a lot more special than a 75th. Also, it seems that the Scandinavian Royal families are constantly having tiara events (weddings, birthdays). Why does the British Royal family not have as many tiara events? It seems like such a waste to have all these beautiful jewels only to have them sit in a vault. I say if you have it, wear (flaunt) it. I just don't understand why they don't. The British royals are my favorite, but I have to look elsewhere to get my royal jewel fix. Can someone please explain? I really want to understand.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am not sure if this is the place to ask this question. It sort of applies in this category but is much broader. Why did the British Royal Family not consider the Queen's 90th birthday a reason to have a tiara wearing event? Recently King Carl Gustaf's 75th birthday was celebrated and there was a tiara event. It seems that 90th birthday is a lot more special than a 75th. Also, it seems that the Scandinavian Royal families are constantly having tiara events (weddings, birthdays). Why does the British Royal family not have as many tiara events? It seems like such a waste to have all these beautiful jewels only to have them sit in a vault. I say if you have it, wear (flaunt) it. I just don't understand why they don't. The British royals are my favorite, but I have to look elsewhere to get my royal jewel fix. Can someone please explain? I really want to understand.
There is probably alot of different reasons. The wedding thing is because in Scandinavian countries it's customary to have your weddings in the afternoon, which makes tiaras and evening dress appropriate because it continues on to the evening, while in the UK morning weddings are more common and then it's morningsuit and hat that is the fitting dresscode.

Also, the Queen doesn't seem very keen to celebrate her own personal milestones in such a way. She celebrates milestones connected to the monarchy (like her Diamond Jubilee) more than her personal ones (or at least more publicly).

Someone probably has more insight into why the british royals are more sparse with tiara wearing in general. Although, they are the ones who every year put on the state crown while the scandinavian countries (as far as I can remember) doesn't even wear it at coronations anymore. So it's probably a bit of "whatever happened to stick" behind why it's different.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Minister to vote 'no' to late pub opening for Queen's 90th « Jersey Evening Post
Quote:
THE Health Minister is to vote against extending opening hours for pubs and bars to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday.

Last month Assistant Economic Development Assistant Steve Pallett announced that he would bring forward proposals to the States to temporarily extend opening hours.

The amendment to the Licensing (Jersey) Law 1974 would allow pubs and bars to continue serving customers until 1 am on the evenings of Friday 10 and Saturday 11 June.

During a Health and Social Security Scrutiny Panel hearing this week, Senator Andrew Green said that he would vote against the move, as he did with similar proposals for the Queen’s Jubilee anniversary, because it would ‘not be good’ for the Island.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Happy birthday to the Queen: RHS Chelsea flower show | Life | Life & Style | Daily Express
Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

There are already been held several tea parties in the UK

Old 05-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

hernameispekka, Thank you so much. It makes sense that it comes from tradition.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
The British royals used to put their jewels to very good use back in the day. A lot of it stopped back in the early 90's. The British royals come under great media scrutiny when they are seen with their jewels too much, so it all died down.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Read more: Queen's 90th birthday flower sculpture honour for Huyton florist - Liverpool Echo
Quote:
A Huyton florist is set to create a design made up of 5,000 roses to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday.

Botanical artist Joseph Massie, 27, has been commissioned to create the floral installation at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show next week.

The award-winning florist has created a design that will see 5,000 fresh-cut roses from Meijer Roses and 1,000 preserved rose petals suspended in the air to create a romantic, sensory tunnel.

“It is a huge honour to be commissioned by the Royal Horticultural Society to create an installation to celebrate Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday.

He added: “I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit nervous to know what Her Majesty’s verdict will be when she sees my installation for the first time!”

Joseph said: “With my design, I am aiming to create a sensory and immersive experience by presenting fresh rose blooms in a truly romantic and captivating way.

“I really hope that the Queen, and all of this year’s visitors to Chelsea, will enjoy the exhibit.”
Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Politicians to debate extending pub opening times for Queen's 90th birthday | Channel - ITV News
Quote:
Politicians are to debate whether to extend opening hours for Jersey pubs during the Queen's 90th birthday.

The proposition would allow bars to serve alcohol until 1 am on the 10th and 11th of June.

The move has already been agreed for England and Wales.

Constable Steve Pallet, Assistant Minister for Economic Development, says it seems 'appropriate' that Jersey follows suit so islanders can have 'the same chance to celebrate the Her Majesty’s 90th birthday.'
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 AM
Majesty

New Winnie the Pooh & Queen story released to celebrate 90th birthdays | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nicole Pearson, creative director at Egmont Publishing, said: "This is a celebration of two very British icons that have been part of our British heritage for 90 years."

Two beloved brits celebrate their 90th birthdays with style in "Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday"
Quote:
Which brings us to Her Majesty’s 90th Birthday Celebration. Given that Queen Elizabeth II has dedicated decades to watching over the Commonwealth and consulting on its international affairs, it only makes sense that the residents of the Hundred Acres Woods would somehow want to pay tribute to her Majesty The Queen (who - it is believed - loved the Winnie-the-Pooh stories as a child).
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Majesty

The Queen's wedding and coronation dress to be displayed for the first time
Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt-
Charles and Camilla won't be at @thepatronslunch for The Queen's 90th. Instead they'll be attending what Buckingham Palace calls a "regional lunch"
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...32660377456640

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Peter Hunt-
Charles and Camilla won't be at @thepatronslunch for The Queen's 90th. Instead they'll be attending what Buckingham Palace calls a "regional lunch"
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...32660377456640
This is rather surprising. I would think that Camilla and Charles would be rather visible during this since they are "next up". But might also be nice that they are spreading around a bit. I had just assumed that they would be out in full force for that event.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The British royals used to put their jewels to very good use back in the day. A lot of it stopped back in the early 90's. The British royals come under great media scrutiny when they are seen with their jewels too much, so it all died down.
That is so sad. It seems like a waste to just let them sit there instead of using them. Why did they come under scrutiny?