The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

The celebrations were at Windsor where she did a walkabout and later lit a beacon.

Otherwise it was just the normal birthday celebrations with the gun salutes.

The next round of celebrations are in May - at the Royal Windsor Horse Show - again at Windsor.

The London celebrations are on the weekend of the 10-12th June:

10th June - the church service at St Paul's
11th June - Trooping the Colour
12th June - the party in the Mall

Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The celebrations were at Windsor where she did a walkabout and later lit a beacon.

Otherwise it was just the normal birthday celebrations with the gun salutes.

The next round of celebrations are in May - at the Royal Windsor Horse Show - again at Windsor.

The London celebrations are on the weekend of the 10-12th June:

10th June - the church service at St Paul's
11th June - Trooping the Colour
12th June - the party in the Mall
You're right and I was aware of that, as I've watched coverage of her celebrations on TV this evening, I'd made a careless error (to be fair, it's late here and I'm getting sleepy, haha). I knew about those dates too but thank you for reminding me, it appears that nothing is happening in London then, as I had thought.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hope there will be something special added to the Trooping of the Colour this year.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think this is true, but the Norwegian expert Kjell Arne Totland who is very reliable says on Norwegian television that there will be foreign guests in june.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I don't think this is true, but the Norwegian expert Kjell Arne Totland who is very reliable says on Norwegian television that there will be foreign guests in june.
I would think it's true. Her 90th is a big deal and major milestone.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really enjoyed seeing those photos, Queen Camilla, and thanks for posting them. I really got a chuckle out of a mainstay business we all know changing from Burger King to Burger Queen in honor of HM. Now that's a serious compliment.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-22-2016, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Very funny that when The Queen got ready to cut her cake today, she asked the baker "does it cut?" The Queen remembers how difficult it was to cut a cake a while ago. She was very happy when the knife went in with very little effort.

At the WI 100th last year? I felt so bad for whoever baked it, as when Princess Anne came to help her Mother, she had to give the knife a pretty hard slap in order for that thing to cut through the cake. I don't blame HM for asking after that happening.

What a beautiful cake it was too. Just perfect for the World's Most Famous Corgi Lover.

It looked like a perfect Spring day for the day's events and Her Majesty appeared to be enjoying herself on her very Special Birthday.

Here's hoping it's just like this in June for the Official Celebrations.

Happy Birthday Ma'am!!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

The official birthday cake, and thus the one the Queen cut, wasn't the one with the corgi on it. That one was made by a fan and will end up at a hospital or somewhere else - sadly maybe even in the bin given health and safety concerns.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Could also be that there will be foreign royals for the celebrations in Max like for the Diamond Jubilee.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
At the WI 100th last year? I felt so bad for whoever baked it, as when Princess Anne came to help her Mother, she had to give the knife a pretty hard slap in order for that thing to cut through the cake. I don't blame HM for asking after that happening.

What a beautiful cake it was too. Just perfect for the World's Most Famous Corgi Lover.

It looked like a perfect Spring day for the day's events and Her Majesty appeared to be enjoying herself on her very Special Birthday.

Here's hoping it's just like this in June for the Official Celebrations.

Happy Birthday Ma'am!!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Yeah, she delighted in cutting her birthday cake than she was with e WI cake. It was easier to cut.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts about the Queen and the Duke's private lunch with President Obama and the First Lady have been moved. You can find the discussion in the Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 PM

Is there a way to watch the BBC One documentary Queen at 90 outside the UK? I couldn't find it on YouTube. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness

It is in the other thread posted by Cris M.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltes View Post
Is there a way to watch the BBC One documentary Queen at 90 outside the UK? I couldn't find it on YouTube. Thanks!
You can find the link in this thread, Elizabeth at 90 - A family Tribute .

It is on youtube.....just type in Elizabeth at 90. I am watching it now and I echo the earlier comments...its fabulous from what I have seen so far.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 PM

Wonderful! Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

I post this here, because this is not about the lunch they had together.

I watched the Joint Press Conference Cameron and Obama live on Sky News yesterday and the President started his remarks by saying:

Quote:
I confess I've also come back to wish Her Majesty the Queen a very happy 90th birthday. Earlier today, Michelle and I had the honor to join Her Majesty and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh as their guests at Windsor Castle, where we conveyed the good wishes of the American people.

I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before. (Laughter.) And I can report that it was very smooth riding. As for Her Majesty, the Queen has been a source of inspiration for me, like so many people around the world. She is truly one of my favorite people. And should we be fortunate enough to reach 90, may we be as vibrant as she is. She’s an astonishing person, and a real jewel to the world and not just to the United Kingdom.
And later in the Press Conference he said:
Quote:
I have a staff member, who will not be named -- because it might embarrass her a little bit -- who, generally, on foreign trips, does not leave the hotel or the staff room because she’s constantly doing work making this happen. She has had one request the entire time that I have been President, and that is, could she accompany me to Windsor on the off-chance that she might get a peek at Her Majesty the Queen. And, gracious as she is, Her Majesty actually had this person, along with a couple of others, lined up so that as we emerged from lunch, they could say hello. And this staff person, who is as tough as they come, almost fainted -- (laughter) -- which was -- I’m glad she didn’t because it would have caused an incident.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...on-joint-press

Barack Obama: Queen is among my favourite people - BBC News

Barack and Michelle Obama have lunch with the Queen at Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

Barack Obama pays tribute to Queen in 90th brithday celebrations | UK | News | Daily Express

I was really touched by his words, and I of course agree with him. She is a jewel to the world, and she is without any doubt my favorite person. As the Telegraph said: ''She is the Queen of our hearts, and we will never see anyone like her again.''
Old 04-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Read more: How Chelsea will mark Queen's 90th with 21ft tower of flowers | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
During her astonishing reign of more than 60 years, the Queen has graciously accepted countless posies and bunches of flowers from her adoring subjects.

But even the most elaborate bouquets pale in comparison with the stunning 21ft floral arch of at least 10,000 pastel blooms being created to celebrate Her Majesty’s 90th birthday year.

The dazzling tribute by the Royal Horticultural Society will be seen by the Queen when she attends the gala opening of the Chelsea Flower Show on May 23.