The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

More praise for our amazing Queen, and she deserves it. This is only the last part of this very long article by Camilla Tominey.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth 90 Birthday Celebration: How Her Majesty became a world renowned diplomat | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
Our widely adored monarch is celebrating her milestone 90th, but what has made her such an outstanding diplomat?

Both a stickler for tradition and a forward-thinking moderniser, arguably the secret to the Queen’s success has been her willingness to embrace change. As she said in an address to both Houses of Parliament back on her Golden Jubilee in 2002, “For if a Jubilee becomes a moment to define an age, then for me we must speak of change.

“Change has become a constant, managing it has become an expanding discipline. The way we embrace it defines our future.”Prime Minister David Cameron once described her as leading “a gentle evolution of our monarchy, bringing it close to the people while maintaining its dignity”. When she became Britain’s longest- serving monarch last September, the Queen admitted, “It is not a record to which I have ever aspired.”

She was about to open a new railway in Scotland when she paid fleeting reference to the historic milestone in her short speech.

“Inevitably, a long life can pass by many milestones. My own is no exception,” she said with typical understatement. “But I thank you all and the many others at home and overseas for your touching messages of great kindness.”

With characteristic pragmatism, she added,

“So now to the business in hand…”

Even at 90, there is no question that the Queen will continue to put duty first, as she vowed to her Commonwealth subjects on her 21st birthday.

It was one thing for a young Princess to utter those inspiring words – but quite another to have lived by them for more than 60 years.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

From the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Official Tourism Website:

Read more for information about April 20th: The Queen's 90th - Windsor
Quote:
Windsor will be in the spotlight for Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations, with a number of events.

On Thursday 21 April, Her Majesty’s birthday, from about 12noon to 12.30pm, The Queen and The Duke will meet Windsor residents and visitors when they take a walk through the streets from Windsor Castle to the Guildhall, accompanied by the Mayor and consort, and the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire and his wife.

At the foot of Castle Hill Her Majesty will unveil an information panel and officially launch The Queen’s Walkway. The 6.3km route is signed by 63 plaques, marking the Queen’s historic 63-year reign when she became the longest serving monarch on 9 September 2015.

On the Corn Exchange at the Guildhall the Royal Couple and the Mayor will meet a small group of residents who also celebrate their 90th birthday this year.

The Royal Party will then depart the Guildhall in the State Review Vehicle and drive down Peascod Street on the way back to Windsor Castle.

Members of the public hoping to see The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh on the walkabout are encouraged to turn up early to ensure they get a good view. The walkabout is expected to attract large numbers of residents and visitors all wanting to join in the birthday celebrations.

People travelling into Windsor are advised to use public transport if possible as there will be temporary road closures and diversions and the car parks are likely to be very busy.
The front pages today - Souvenir editions:

The Mail - The People's Queen
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMPYMrWEAAcXH8.jpg

The Express - The Queen at 90
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMQDZjWwAAhadJ.jpg

Sunday Post - Queen's love Affair with Scotland
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgMTwXOWQAAgX9P.jpg

Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Day I Met the Queen - New series to celebrate Her Majesty's 90th birthday:

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen, Aled Jones
Quote:
To mark the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, singer and presenter Aled Jones is in his home nation of Wales to speak to people with extraordinary stories of when they met the Queen.

His journey includes meeting a man who has met the Queen many times over 30 years of taking snapshots of her on royal walkabouts, a former choir girl who got close to the Queen when she sang at the investiture of the Prince of Wales, the breeder of the Queen's corgis, and a survivor of the 1966 Aberfan mining tragedy, when a school was buried by mining debris.
Watch live: tvpc.com - BBC 1 09:15 - APR 18:

I think Dman found a website that allows you to watch UK tv, but I can't remember the name.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've just finished watching this wonderful episode live on my mac here at the office. Again, we heard about our caring Queen's kindness and her sense of humor. And as Aled Jones said: ''We are lucky to have her.''
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Majesty

Queen's namesake Elizabeth Garnham gears up for 90th birthday celebrations | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 04-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen, on her birthday, will be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall on Thursday evening, April 21st to light the first beacon at Windsor.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look at this beautiful video of our beloved Queen from the the British Monarchy youtube channel - it is also posted on their facebook page:
Old 04-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen's 90 birthday marked at photography exhibition - BBC News
Quote:
A photographer's collection of pictures of the Queen will go on display in Denbighshire to mark her 90th birthday.

The images have been taken by Colin Edwards who has been documenting the monarchy for six decades.

Mr Edwards, 75, has been a "self-proclaimed royalist" since watching the Queen's coronation on television aged 12.

The photos will form part of an exhibition in Ruthin to commemorate the Queen's birthday on Thursday.
See 6 of these wonderful pictures in the article:
Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 AM
Majesty

Michael Fawcett to help Prince Charles plan The Queen's 90th birthday party | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

BBC One - The Day I Met the Queen, Jennie Bond
Quote:
To mark the 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond is in her home territory of south west England to speak to people with extraordinary stories of when they met the Queen.

On her journey she meets veterans from the Falklands war, a navy captain who was lost for words when he welcomed the Queen on board his destroyer, the landlady who hosted the Queen on a rare visit to the pub, and an apprentice bricklayer whose life changed after she met the Queen.
Watch live: tvpc.com - BBC 1 09:15 - APR 18.

I loved yesterday's episode, but todays episode is presented by Jennie Bond. She has said that she is a big fan of the Queen, but she has criticized the royal family several times and said that she wants a republic when Queen dies.

The Day I Met the Queen, Aled Jones - yesterday's episode:
Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

From the British Monarchy Twitter/Facebook accounts:
Quote:
To mark The Queen's birthday this week, we wanted to share a rarely-before-seen letter from The Royal Archives.
This is the first letter Princess Elizabeth, affectionately known as 'Lilibet' to her family, ever sent to her grandmother, Queen Mary.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgZuZ8rWQAAXsH3.jpg
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Love all the tributes coming in for her Birthday. Lord knows, if she was a politician, none of this stuff would be happening.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Majesty

What a lovely surprise! That letter shows the insecurities on writing and the affection of just a kid. Endearing.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Queen's 90 birthday marked at photography exhibition - BBC News

See 6 of these wonderful pictures in the article:
Hi there! We will be opening a competition on Thursday on our Twitter and Facebook with a free giveaway of Colin's book A Personal Portrait of the Royal Family.

A Personal Portrait of the Royal Family by Colin Edwards - Candy Jar Books

Keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter!

@Candy_Jar
https://www.facebook.com/candyjarcardiff

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

A retired local government officer and royalist-at-heart, Colin has dedicated much of his spare time to photographing members of the Royal Family at public events. Travelling across the country, Colin has collected a number of unusual, intimate shots for his new book. He became so well-known that Diana, Princess of Wales personally greeted him upon recognition. Colin has exhibited his photographs to raise money for various charities and continues to attend royal public events.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen “tastes soldiers’ packed lunches” to make sure they are looked after properly – Royal Central
Quote:
He said: “The Royal Family were so much fun to work for, they made all the soldiers feel at ease.

“One of Her Majesty’s priorities was looking after the welfare of the soldiers who were responsible for providing support for all events.

“She often tasted our packed lunches to check we were being properly looked after before we went out on hunting or fishing trips. She would come to the kitchen and inspect the sandwiches.

“Most were up to scratch, but if they weren’t, they’d be sent back.”

Mr Ross signed up for military service when he was just 15 years-0ld, and has since had a varied career. He says that he was once lucky enough to dance with The Queen at an event in 1991.
Our caring Queen.

The Queen's former guard reveals moment he trod on her TOE at Balmoral | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
John said: 'The Royal Piper came up to me and said 'I would like to introduce you to the Queen'.

'I then asked her to dance and half way through the Dashing White Sergeant I stood on her toes.

'It was a dreadful moment. My heart was in my mouth. I thought I was going to end up in the Tower.

'I said "I'm sorry Your Majesty" and she whispered "It's OK. Don't worry about it".'

And he admitted he was 'terrified' when he was dancing with the Queen that day.
Poor guy.

The Queen's birthday is celebrated by Linda Robson who dresses up at ITV studios in London | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Her majesty, the Queen, is celebrating a milestone later this month.

And it seems that Linda Robson couldn't resist kicking off the monarch's 90th birthday celebrations early, as the Birds Of A feather actress chose to show off her patriotic side by dressing up as HM on Tuesday.

Clearly a staunch monarchist, the 58-year-old star showed her support for Queen Elizabeth II by dressing up as the beloved British monarch for her visit to the ITV Studios in London.
The papers with a beautiful new picture of the birthday girl with Charles, William and George:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb6mOCWcAAOkQ_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb45feWcAAgV0o.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb4f5AXIAI1S_1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb7lJ-WQAIyvgv.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgb9LvbW8AEDPxa.jpg
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Majesty

wonderful photo of Queen Elizabeth with her three heirs
Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Shame some of the papers cut out William and Charles

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Yep, paper's are unfortunately are very good at doing that
Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Same here, distasteful if not insulting ...
Old 04-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Squee! How about those cheeks and the big boy pose atop the pile of ?books?painted blocks?. Wow, can you see the family resemblance!
The POW looks about to burst with glee! Too cute.
But I do think if foul that the DM cropped the photo. 4 Generations edited to suit their agenda.
And I love Daddy holding his little hand.