The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-16-2016, 03:14 AM
Royal Highness

Read more: Long live the Queen
Quote:
The Queen turns 90 next week, and we celebrate her decades of service with a special edition of the Telegraph Magazine. In the course of her lifetime, Britain has seen recessions, wars, sweeping cultural change and a ceaseless debate about our proper role in the world. One constant has been a monarch who, unlike many of her predecessors, has never rocked the ship of state. On the contrary, her admirable sense of duty has seen it through turbulent waters.

The Britain of recent years has been very fortunate to have Elizabeth II – someone whose personality has perfectly suited the challenges of her era.She ascended to the throne at the age of just 25, thrown into a world that Winston Churchill described as “poised between world catastrophe and a golden age”. The empire was collapsing; the globe was caught in a totemic struggle between democracy and communism. As Britain changed, so did the monarchy – again the most traditional of institutions proved surprisingly adaptable. The Queen permitted cameras into her home and went on walkabouts. She toured the world, offering personal leadership to a new, multicultural Commonwealth. On one trek across the globe it was calculated that she listened to 276 speeches, gave 102 of her own and heard 508 renditions of the national anthem. She has been ever-present without being partisan: a leader in the moral, rather than the political sense.

We do not know what advice she has given prime ministers, but it is impossible to understate her value. “They unburden themselves,” she once told the BBC. “It’s rather nice to feel that one’s a sort of sponge and everybody can come and tell one things.” Sir John Major said: “Even thoughts you perhaps don’t want to share with your Cabinet at a particular time you can say to the Queen, and I did.” Politicians can rest assured that she will have heard and seen it all before.

In 1977, Pierre Trudeau, a Canadian prime minister with republican sympathies, performed a pirouette behind Her Majesty at a dinner. Last year, the Queen had a private audience with his son, Justin Trudeau, now also prime minister of the Canada – proof that the hereditary principle is alive and well on the Left.

He described how privately thrilled his father had been to introduce him to the monarch in the early 1970s: “She was always lovely and gracious... You could tell my father was really proud to be introducing his son to the Queen.” That mystic spell that Bagehot spoke of remains irresistible.

We have lived in the Age of Elizabeth. It has been a tumultuous time that has still seen great strides in human progress, and which has been held together by an ancient yet utterly relevant institution. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s successful tour of India and Bhutan reflects the rise of a new generation that will build on her Majesty’s legacy. That the modern royalty is so popular and approachable is thanks to her gifts as both sovereign and head of a family. Perhaps her most important job has been as mother, grandmother and, now, great-grandmother. Or, as Prince George simply calls her, “Gan-Gan.” Long live the Queen.
Beautifully written about our beloved Queen.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Niagara Falls to be lit purple for Queen Elizabeth’s birthday - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Queen approaches 90 new poll reveals her growing popularity
http://www.newsweek.com/queen-approa...ularity-448221

Old 04-16-2016, 03:57 AM
Royal Highness

Read more: The Queen's birthday: 90 years in 90 seconds
Quote:
The Queen's 90th birthday will be one of the highlights of 2016.

There are celebrations around both her actual birthday on April 21 and her official birthday on June 11.

To mark the occasion, The Telegraph has created a video of moments from every year of her life from 1926.
I almost teared up when I saw this video with 90 pictures of the Queen's 90 remarkable years.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 AM
Royal Highness

Read more: The Queen turns 90: Allison Pearson on the world's best loved monarch
Quote:
What’s your secret?’ her grandson, Prince Harry, asks her. She won’t tell him. It’s a curious fact that Queen Elizabeth II is the most photographed woman in history but she remains an enigma to her people, and even to her close family. We know her face as well as we know our own, but we can’t claim to know her.

All 5,300 breeding pairs of mute swans in the UK are officially owned by the Queen. Like them, she has perfected the art of looking unflappable on the surface, as the pictures over the following pages attest, but what it takes to achieve such steely serenity – well, that is a mystery and the key to her success.

Now, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is celebrating her 90th birthday – a milestone in any life, but even more so for the grandmother of the nation, whose record-breaking reign will give its name to an era of both extreme change and blessed stability.

At 90, Her Majesty, as seen recently in ITN’s Our Queen at Ninety, is still on preposterously good form. At a time when most people her age are watching Countdown from their armchair, the Queen is ploughing through those daily red boxes or out riding a favourite pony.

For heaven’s sake, how many pensioners enter their 10th decade on horseback? Doesn’t she know that she’s old? Apparently not. Last year, Her Majesty carried out an astounding 306 engagements in the UK and 35 abroad, easily outperforming younger members of the Firm.

Watching our small, snowy Queen, in her sturdy court shoes, go about her duties with determination and undimmed zest is to find yourself reaching for the famous When Harry Met Sally line: ‘I’ll have what she’s having.’

A long, long time ago, on her 21st birthday, Princess Elizabeth made a solemn promise that brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it. ‘I declare before you all,’ she said, ‘that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service.’

How lucky we are that that life proved to be long, not short, and that, at the grand old age of 90, the Queen goes on keeping that promise of her youth.

The photographs the Telegraph has selected to mark the occasion give a sweeping sense of time passing, but the woman at their centre has a remarkable secret: always changing, ever just the same. Happy birthday, Your Majesty. As Shakespeare put it: ‘To me, fair friend, you never can be old, For as you were when first your eye I eyed, Such seems your beauty still.’

Her promise to us, delivered in that youthful, crystal-clear voice, rings down the decades.

Elizabeth has been dedicated to our service, and will be until the last beat of her heart.
This is just the beginning of this very long article by Allison Pearson. She goes through the scandals/pleasures in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s.

And as Charles, other family members and staffers says: This lady has enormous patience.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

That is a very funny but respectful article!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Royal Highness

Yet another documentary: The Queen at 90 on Sky News - it will air Wednesday at 9pm. Interviews with William, Edward and Sophie who all looks to be very relaxed.

We already know about the documentaries: ITV's Our Queen at 90 and BBC's Elizabeth at 90.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yet another documentary: The Queen at 90 on Sky News - it will air Wednesday at 9pm. Interviews with William, Edward and Sophie who all looks to be very relaxed.

We already know about the documentaries: ITV's Our Queen at 90 and BBC's Elizabeth at 90.
Is there a clip?

We'll be documentaried out at this rate! It is nice to see the family all be interviewed though as they all give little insights. It's always nice to hear her children talk about her as at the end of the day she is their mum.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

If there'd been documentaries around in 1897 at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (I know she didn't make it to 90) I wonder what Edward, Prince of Wales, and all the siblings would have said? She was a dominating force in her children and grandchildren's lives, unlike the present monarch.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Is there a clip?

We'll be documentaried out at this rate! It is nice to see the family all be interviewed though as they all give little insights. It's always nice to hear her children talk about her as at the end of the day she is their mum.
I've saw the promoting clip live on Sky News, but I can't find it on their website, twitter/youtube accounts.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If there'd been documentaries around in 1897 at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (I know she didn't make it to 90) I wonder what Edward, Prince of Wales, and all the siblings would have said? She was a dominating force in her children and grandchildren's lives, unlike the present monarch.
Now, that would've been fascinating!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I've saw the promoting clip live on Sky News, but I can't find it on their website, twitter/youtube accounts.
I randomly turned to Sky News and it showed the clip. Nice to see Edward and Sophie interviewed together. It makes more sense to interview the couples together as it gets two out of the way then!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Elizabeth at 90-Preview Clip:
BBC One - Elizabeth at 90 - A Family Tribute

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness

Read moe:Queen's 90th birthday: Three cheers as Shrewsbury's town crier is chosen to lead celebrations at Buckingham Palace « Shropshire Star
Quote:
Shrewsbury’s towering town crier has been given the historic role of leading three cheers at Buckingham Palace for the Queen’s 90th birthday.

Martin Wood, who at 7ft 2ins is the tallest town crier in the world, will be taking on a central role in next week’s birthday celebrations at the palace.

Mr Wood, who was also selected to take part in the Queen Mother’s 100th birthday celebrations, will join 19 other town criers for the occasion.

The ceremony will see him leading his fellow criers in three cheers for The Queen, as part of the Royal Proclamation, before a parchment scroll is presented to the Queen’s officers.
Read more: Liverpool's Elizabeths needed to help celebrate The Queen's 90th birthday at Liverpool ONE - Liverpool Echo
Quote:
The Queen is about to turn 90, and if you share your name with our fair monarch, then we want to hear from you.

We have teamed up with Liverpool ONE to create “Elizabeths Through the Ages”, a unique portrait that celebrates Elizabeths throughout Merseyside, and of course Her Royal Highness.

We’re looking for as many Elizabeths as possible to pose for the portrait - there is no age limit, and all successful entrants will receive a Liverpool ONE gift card, and a framed photo of all the Elizabeths together.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Telegraph View

Quote:
...We have lived in the Age of Elizabeth. It has been a tumultuous time that has still seen great strides in human progress, and which has been held together by an ancient yet utterly relevant institution.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s successful tour of India and Bhutan reflects the rise of a new generation that will build on her Majesty’s legacy. That the modern royalty is so popular and approachable is thanks to her gifts as both sovereign and head of a family.

Perhaps her most important job has been as mother, grandmother and, now, great-grandmother. Or, as Prince George simply calls her, “Gan-Gan.” Long live the Queen.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Telegraph View

Oh, I've already posted this in post 341, but beautifully written by the telegraph.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

I've posted an article about Queen Margrethe II in the Danish forum and she said this about the Queen:
Quote:
‘She’s wonderful. I really admire the way she has lived her life, the way she continues to live her life. She’s so dedicated and she has a marvellous sense of humour.

'I’m lucky enough to know her privately and I do enjoy that sense of humour.

'I also think that in the later years, that sense of humour has come across to the general public in Britain much more than it used to. And I’m so delighted for her sake.

'I know that her faith is very important to her, but I’m sure also it’s her sense of humour that keeps her looking so very good, that keeps her wonderful, in fact.’
Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

That's a marvellous tribute from Queen Margrethe to her fellow monarch and friend.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 AM
Royal Highness

Some quotes from this very long article:

Read more: Why the Queen at 90 is the hardest worker of us all*
Quote:
In the spring of 1947, Odhams Press marked the 21st birthday of the then Princess Elizabeth with a smart commemorative hardback. Its Illustrated Story of Twenty-one Years in the Life of the Heir Presumptive is recognisably of its time. Author Dermot Morrah (“Late Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford”) marshalled stately prose to celebrate the virtues of his august subject. His tone is deferential but measured.

Seven decades later, the surprise is how many of his assertions continue to strike a chord. “She is a hard worker… She hates to leave any task unfinished, or to abandon any problem until she has mastered it. She is always ready to take great trouble over small things, especially when she suspects that things which are small to her may be of great importance to humbler people.”

Days short of her 90th birthday, it is clear that the former Princess Elizabeth considers the biggest task of her life still unfinished, namely her role as Elizabeth II, our Queen of 64 years and counting.

Last year, she undertook 341 engagements, including 35 overseas commitments: as in 1947, many were concerned with things “of great importance to humbler people”. Every day she receives – and reads – an account of Parliament’s proceedings written for her by a Government Whip; weekend dispatches include an update on events across the Commonwealth. Her daily postbag includes upwards of 200 letters, of which the Queen reads a handful herself; the remainder are entrusted to ladies-in-waiting.

And so, she continues, not quite as ramrod-backed as once, the pace a little slower, her hair pearly white beneath the brim of her hats, her face in old age suggestively Hanoverian; but in other ways the same woman who, aged 21, in a famous radio broadcast, declared “that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service”.

At regular intervals, notably her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees, the Queen has repeated that vow of lifelong service. On the 40th anniversary of her accession, in 1992, she said: “In this existence, the job and the life go together. You can’t really divide it up.” In the Queen’s eyes, her’s is a job for life. Nothing in Britain’s unwritten constitution forces this upon her except historical precedent – itself a potent force – and her own understanding of her singular position.

Elizabeth II is the oldest and longest-reigning sovereign in the thousand-year history of our island monarchy and the first to enter her tenth decade. As in 1952, she retains the rights identified by Victorian constitutionalist Walter Bagehot to be consulted by the Prime Minister, to encourage certain courses of action and to caution against others; her particular powers include appointing bishops and archbishops and making war and peace.

Yet the exceptionally high esteem in which the Queen is held across much of the globe has little to do with her exercise – or, in the case of the carriage ride along Rotten Row, failure to exercise – of any such privilege or power.

Successful kingship, The Times suggested in 1937, relies “not upon intellectual brilliance or superlative talent of any kind, but upon the moral qualities of steadiness, staying-power and self-sacrifice”. Over six decades, Elizabeth II has made herself an exemplar of all three ‘moral’ qualities. Her biography in the current Penguin Monarchs series, written by former Cabinet minister Douglas Hurd in 2015, is entitled Elizabeth II: The Steadfast.

Elizabeth II has left it to others to interpret her emphasis on service as “self-sacrifice”: nothing in her behaviour has ever suggested that she regards her self-appointed task as anything but a privilege itself. Even in secularised Britain, the legacy of plodding Protestantism and centuries of mercantile endeavour thrills at evidence of her unflagging work ethic.

That the world’s most famous pensioner, 90 on Thursday, is still hard at it pretty much every day of the year is one reason the Queen topped a poll conducted last year by drinks manufacturer Horlicks to identify “the best of British”.

In the case of our own Queen, she does so without any apparent sense of superiority or self-interest and without the bombast of others in public life. Unlike that of many politicians, her record over 64 years has mostly escaped censure. She has frequently become, as Dermot Morrah forecast in 1947, “the leader and the symbol” of the nation’s “great ideals” and a “centre and focus for unity”.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:04 AM
Royal Highness

The Times has interviewed six remarkable ladies who were born in the same year/date as the Queen. They tell their life stories in separate interviews.

This is just the beginning of this enormous article. If you want to read the interviews, then read the entire article.

Read more if you have access:All the Queen's ladies | | The Times & The Sunday Times
Quote:
The Queen turns 90 on Thursday — as do these remarkable women. They, like HM, represent a generation whose indomitable spirit saw them through Britain’s darkest hour. India Knight salutes them, and they tell their stories

They are hardy of spirit and stiff of backbone, and they are the last of their indomitable kind. Reading about their lives makes you wonder how we all got so feeble and self-obsessed, so babyish. As the Queen turns 90 on Thursday, so do the extraordinary “ordinary” women below. There’s Joan, who, aged 13, refused to be evacuated. They were bombed three times in the war; the family income stopped overnight when her parents’ newsagents was hit. Joan became a bookkeeper at a fishmonger’s, then the headmistress of a school for the blind and eventually an inspector of schools. She divorced in 1968, without fuss, drama or sense of victimhood: “I just realised I was married to the wrong man.”

There’s Margaret, who was glamorous and didn’t know it at the time, and who tap-danced with her older sister to entertain the troops. She started when she was 14 and travelled up and down the country. She still has the little black book she filled with the names of soldiers who fancied her (“There’s over 60 in it”). She became a ballroom dancer, making better money than most men, but gave it up when she married Taylor, who had beautiful teeth and liked a drink or two. They were married for 45 years.

And Norah, who had to bring a bit of turf to school every day to keep the fire going. She left her native Galway aged 15, out of the blue, because her brother was getting married and needed the house. Norah ended up in England — “There was a lot of bad feeling about the English, and we weren’t taught that much,” she says.

These women are amazing. They belong to a specific generation who stopped being children, either physically or figuratively, with the onset of the Second World War. They cracked on and did what they had to do, without pausing for hand-wringing or self-pity, glad only to be alive (“It was a good time to be alive, if you remained so,” Joan says).

Princess Elizabeth undertook her first solo public engagement on April 12, 1943, just before she turned 17 — a visit to the Grenadier Guards. In 1945, she joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service and trained as a driver and mechanic. On VE Day, she and Princess Margaret mingled with the crowds — “All of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief.” In 1952, George VI died and Elizabeth, by now a married woman but still only 25, became Queen.

What we admire in the Queen, whether we are monarchists or republicans, is what we also admire in the women interviewed here. It is the highly unfashionable notion of unstinting, uncomplaining duty, whether to yourself, to your family or to your country: the art of getting on with it, come what may, without making a ghastly fuss. Our interviewees recognise it in the Queen. What they admire in her is a mirror image of an aspect of themselves. We recognise it too. Call them game old birds, tough old broads, or the Queen of the United Kingdom, they are, in anybody’s book, remarkable women, whose like we will not see again. “The Queen has always kept a straight path, even in troubled times,” Norah says. “There’s not a wrong word you can say about her.”
Correctly and perfectly said by one of the ladies:
Quote:
My highlight was attending an 80th joint-birthday tea with the Queen and other people born on her birthday. I wanted something more definitive than small talk and we had a wonderful conversation about the Welsh assembly. She always makes you feel important and is a warm person with a common touch. I don’t think she has ever put a foot wrong. She handled Diana’s death with dignity and respect and I believe she was wrongly criticised. She has always represented this country well.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserve...0,0&resize=600

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserve...,-0&resize=600
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

'Choir Boy' memories for The Queen from Abbey's young choristers

Westminster Abbey » 'Choir Boy' memories for The Queen from Abbey's young choristers